Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

John F Bennett posted:

The radiant quests from the Thieves Guild made me feel like an actual contract thief. It could've used some more variation, though.

I like the idea of Radiant quests as a way to make some extra money on the side, but it’s that “on the side” bit that wasn’t well realized given how few non-radiant quests there were. If they were limited to things like Bandit Bounties the Hold Stewards give out, that would have been a lovely way of implementing them. Heck, I also kinda liked that they used them with the Greybeards as a way to point you towards where Word Walls would be.

Unfortunately they threw that crap up everywhere. With the Greybeards, radiant quests are the ONLY training they give you after you go to Jurgen’s grave. A lot of personal missions you get from townsfolk have you going after stolen possessions that wind up on the far side of the Hold, like the bandits worked overtime to get that Amulet of Zenithar out of Windhelm because the guards are hot on the case of an Argonian lady’s cheap jewelry. It’s not a terrible idea outright, but Bethesda obviously was using it as a crutch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I like radiant quests in general, but think the issue in Skyrim is that they leaned too heavily on them. I'd prefer at least as much hand made content as Oblivion had, then fill in with your radiant quests.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The main thing I want from the next Elder Scrolls is that they hire just a single voice actor that speaks all the roles.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lambert posted:

The main thing I want from the next Elder Scrolls is that they hire just a single voice actor that speaks all the roles.

As long as it's Jeff Baker and he does his Dunmer voice I'm ok with that.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

radiant quests can be good, i think, as filler or just something to do in between quest arcs but skyrim (and fallout 4) really suffered from way too little variation

that or way too much variation, like the weird companions' radiant where you have to travel all over skyrim beating up random civilians

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It sounds like they were undifferentiated. No one complains that all the taxi missions in GTA or hunting missions in RDR are basically the same. Filler like that seems like it'd be more fun than whatever Radiant was.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Because it's Skyrim, there's no variation of complication in the radiant quests. You either kill a guy or take an item from a place, that's it. Maybe this time there'll be wizards throwing Flames at you! Wow, isn't that wonderful?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

They were absolutely NOT differentiated beyond superficial details. So many Skyrim radiant quests involve you going to retrieve something from the final chest in a dungeon, kill the boss of a dungeon, or rescue an NPC from a dungeon, who will likely be held in or adjacent to the room that has the boss and the final chest. Oh, and the Greybeards will send you to a dungeon with a Word Wall which might not be near the end.

I’m trying to think of any radiant quests that don’t boil down to clearing a dungeon. There’s the Thieves Guild radiant quests, which are all generic “Steal X in Y town” or “Forge X ledger in Y business in Z town.” I also liked those since they’re having you be a thief, which is a drat sight better than the TG main quest, but that’s it. I suppose there’s also the quests to kill Giants and Dragons, but that’s just a dungeon quest without the dungeon.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Thirding (fourthing?) that the TG radiant quests were better than the actual TG main quest, not only because you actually have to use your thiefy skills but also because it's the only guild where the radiant quests actually build to something; after X number of jobs in a hold you'd get a special job that both unlocked a fence and a unique merchant back at the guild hangout.

It's like they got it perfectly right but then hid the good TG questline underneath some insane nonsense about having to become batman to kill your former boss or whatever the gently caress

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I think it goes a step further than that - all the radiant quests in Skyrim are also nearly identical to the radiant quests in Fallout 4. The Greybeards give you a location where you can clear a dungeon to unlock a word wall ; the Minutemen give you a location where you can clear a dungeon to unlock a settlement. The Thieves Guild tells you to steal stuff. Other than those exceptions, everything else is "kill these things" or "get this item, and also you have to kill your way past these things."

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I think the problem with radiant quests is exasperated by the fact that so many of the regular quests follow the same structure, just with a tiny bit more flavor, to the point where there are very few quests that don't involve going into dungeons and killing draugr/bandits and possibly retrieving an item

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

radiant quests can be good, i think, as filler or just something to do in between quest arcs but skyrim (and fallout 4) really suffered from way too little variation

that or way too much variation, like the weird companions' radiant where you have to travel all over skyrim beating up random civilians

The Companions stuff where you go do stuff around the holds actually makes sense, tbh. When I was replaying skyrim last year I used a mod that posted radiants on a notice board in the main towns, and each one was specific to the region/hold. Something like that would actually work pretty well since you can just grab whatever you want from the board, go do it, then come back after a day or two.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Embarrassingly I only now remembered that daggerfall had mostly generated quests.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I need you to find NAME in X and deliver Y in NUMBER days.

I saw a lot of those in Daggerfall.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Nearly everything in Daggerfall is randomly generated.

That's not even hyperbole. Every faction quest, every side quest. Even some main quests. Nearly every city. Nearly every dungeon.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I explored basically every dungeon as I found it
so every radiant quest sent me somewhere I had already cleared, which just made them even more tedious whenever I accidentally accepted them

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I was bored enough a few weeks ago to self flagellate myself with top 10 youtube videos, and I watched one about the top 10 random secret items in Morrowind or something. I haven't played it in well over 10 years, and whenever I did play I was mostly content to putter around and never get very far. I was blown away by how secret poo poo was hidden in that game. It makes Skyrim look so bad in comparison. Hidden in the bottom of a crypt there's a passage that goes down to a giant rear end cave where there's a huge viking funeral laid out. Then you fly up to the ceiling of the giant cave where the tiny alcove is with a little shrine with a unique mask. Why is there it? Because Morrowind mother fucker. No quest no hints no indications whatsoever.

If they wanted to imitate that in Skyrim half the NPCs in a given town would casually mention it, which would start a quest with a popup marker and once you were in the dungeon the only way out would be to walk past it. Can't have anyone miss those expensively rendered pixels the studio spend 7 million dollars on.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

I was bored enough a few weeks ago to self flagellate myself with top 10 youtube videos, and I watched one about the top 10 random secret items in Morrowind or something. I haven't played it in well over 10 years, and whenever I did play I was mostly content to putter around and never get very far. I was blown away by how secret poo poo was hidden in that game. It makes Skyrim look so bad in comparison. Hidden in the bottom of a crypt there's a passage that goes down to a giant rear end cave where there's a huge viking funeral laid out. Then you fly up to the ceiling of the giant cave where the tiny alcove is with a little shrine with a unique mask. Why is there it? Because Morrowind mother fucker. No quest no hints no indications whatsoever.

That specific cave is actually brought up by a drunken Nord in Vivec if you give him something to drink. His directions are pretty mediocre, though, and there’s no hint that the Daedric helm is there. All Daedric armour is hidden, actually, and to get a full set you need to either kill the chillest wizard on Vvardenfell or explore the entire game, including expansions.

To be needlessly fair, the quests in Morrowind weren’t much to write home about - if anything, they were even more fetch questy than Oblivion and Skyrim. The writing around the quests was so much better, though, which made all the difference.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Stupid Blades got me thinking: why do they even put in quest markers if we have clairvoyance?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

One of the things that annoyed me in Skyrim is how both sides of the civil war had the same missions. One is an Empire with centuries of military structure and thinking. The other is a racist rebellion playing on the religious fears of the people. So why do they fight the same way? There was a missed opportunity to have different objectives and tactics for each side.

I laughed at the final attack on Solitude by the Stormcloaks where you have something like twelve soldiers with you.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Pretty much everything in skyrim insults your intelligence.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
One of the expansion packs should have been doing something with the civil war. Not just one stupid mission in each hold, then you and a couple of friends having a bender in the opposition's capital.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Darth Brooks posted:

One of the things that annoyed me in Skyrim is how both sides of the civil war had the same missions. One is an Empire with centuries of military structure and thinking. The other is a racist rebellion playing on the religious fears of the people. So why do they fight the same way? There was a missed opportunity to have different objectives and tactics for each side.

I laughed at the final attack on Solitude by the Stormcloaks where you have something like twelve soldiers with you.

New Vegas did it better, unsurprisingly. Caesar’s legion missions are based on subterfuge and terrorism. NCR about establishing diplomatic relations with various local factions.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I guess I'll take your word for it, since I'll be in the cold cold ground before I do a Legion playthrough.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Average Bear posted:

Pretty much everything in skyrim insults your intelligence.

I honestly feel this way about the game at this point. It feels like the developers were outright afraid of locking people out of content due to their choices, even temporarily. I remember playing through the Companions quest line with a strict wizard character, and the only non-magic thing I was forced to do was hit Vilkas with a non-magical weapon. I grabbed an axe from nearby to do it and promptly roasted everything else with fireballs. Nobody cared.

I seem to remember that the College of Winterhold quests always had conveniently placed Scrolls any time it would ask you to cast a spell to open a door in the dungeon. I haven’t tried it, but I’d be willing to bet you can complete that quest line and become Archmage with no magic skill above 5.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, College of Winterhold should go, "You can't even cast Candlelight? Get the gently caress off my door step"

That said I recently bought the game for PS4 and have been having fun with it, despite my many complaints of the game :) First time doing the Dawnguard stuff... I was cured of my Vampirism but I still get attacked by random Dawnguard parties. What gives?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I do miss requirements to progress in guilds. If Bethesda kept everything else including non-mutually exclusive guilds, then at least put in skill requirements. A player could still get into and finish every guild, and without much trouble, but those promotions would feel earned. And why not do what Morrowind did and start the player off on mundane poo poo like flower picking. Use the radiant quest system for poo poo like that, then fill in the top levels with more detailed hand crafted quests. For all it's story faults, this is why I think the Thieves Guild is the best guild in the game. In between story quests you have to run more mundane radiant quests to earn the final stage of Guild leadership. I like that!

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

BBJoey posted:

That specific cave is actually brought up by a drunken Nord in Vivec if you give him something to drink.

Probably the strongest memory I have of my first Morrowind playthrough many years ago is randomly chatting to this dude and him rambling about Stormkiss. I then promptly forgot about it. And then, many dozens of game hours later, exploring some ancestral tomb, when...

counterfeitsaint posted:

Hidden in the bottom of a crypt there's a passage that goes down to a giant rear end cave where there's a huge viking funeral laid out.

...and suddenly I thought "Wait a minute, I remember this!!" It was such a dramatic, unexpected moment. I wasn't looking for it, I just found it at random, but remembering that throwaway line from some guy in a half-deserted bar in one of the least-visited of Vivec's cantons (cause how often does one go to Telvanni?) made it even better.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If you tried hiding the strongest anything in the game in an unmarked secret area in an already secret area these days the complaints and treatises on 'good game design' wouls be endless.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Yea, College of Winterhold should go, "You can't even cast Candlelight? Get the gently caress off my door step"

That said I recently bought the game for PS4 and have been having fun with it, despite my many complaints of the game :) First time doing the Dawnguard stuff... I was cured of my Vampirism but I still get attacked by random Dawnguard parties. What gives?

The College does do that though, you have to cast some spell or something to get in I believe. Maybe it's a mod that keeps adding it to my games but I always go to Winterhold and then have to go away to learn whatever spell it is before I come back and cast it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

While one way to gain entrance to the College is to cast a spell for the guard, she will sell you the spell at a discount IIRC and you can also just say "I'm the Dragonborn" and demonstrate a Shout. However, you do have to know at the very least Flames and Frostbite during the quest where you find the location of the Staff of Magnus, to adjust the lenses. Afaik, Fire Breath and Ice Breath or similar elemental Shouts don't work there.

The argument presented, though, is that aside from one or two instances the guilds don't really require you to use the skills the guild represents to solve your problems, nor is your standing in the guild reflective of those skills. The point that you can be Archmage of the College or Harbinger of the Companions without ever having gained a single level in a magic or combat skill still stands.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Arivia posted:

The College does do that though, you have to cast some spell or something to get in I believe. Maybe it's a mod that keeps adding it to my games but I always go to Winterhold and then have to go away to learn whatever spell it is before I come back and cast it.

You do have to cast a spell, but they just go, "Oh you don't know it? Here's a spell tome"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Community college of winterhold

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Sab669 posted:

You do have to cast a spell, but they just go, "Oh you don't know it? Here's a spell tome"

Yeah, you have to cast an apprentice level spell from a randomly selected school. If you don’t know the spell, she will sell it to you at a steep discount. It’s not that much of a barrier however. If you’re bothering with the default Helgen into at all, you can just loot the dead mage in the torture room cage and have everything you need. He’ll have a mage hood that gives you enough mana for an apprentice spell, and the rest can be sold for the money you need to buy the book AND pay for a cart ride to Winterhold.

If you head there when you’re pointed by the main quest to talk to the librarian, they’ll let you in if you shout for them. That takes a lot longer to get to, though.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 10, 2019

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

It's funny and explicit that the College is grooming a complete nobody, mage or not, to be the next archmage to take the heat off them

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So, assuming you're going to mod the game, what's the version of Skyrim to get these days, Legendary Edition or Special Edition? I know there were some compatibility issues with SE at launch but I have no idea what the current state modding is.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

SE is waaay more stable and runs better, there's no real reason to grab LE anymore

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Major mods were ported to SE and even many simpler mods originally made for oldrim are compatible with SE.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

SE is way better, anything really noteworthy is on SE by now and if it's not the stability and technical improvements far outweigh playing oldrim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
It is insane that a low ball estimate for TES6's release is *12 years* after TES5.