Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tribals/nomads can raid, certain cultures can raid, and certain religions can raid, so vikings have the ability to raid pretty embedded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ilitarist posted:

Even when they become good Christians?.. I thought it depends on religion.

Anyway, I'm also irritated by how when someone with a wrong culture inherits a castle they tear up culture-specific buildings. Culture, in general, is rather strange in this game. And it's telling that you properly notice it in a fantasy Easter Egg mode, outside of it you have several melting pots, optional castration, and beyond that, it's mostly a miniscule relation penalty.

The culture specific buildings in castles etc are deactivated when the county flips, not the ruler. And even then they are not torn up, they still exist but they’re not active and you get no benefit from them. So if you have a huge gallowglass barracks and your county culture flips to English during an event you will still have the gallowglass when it changes back to Irish or whatever have you.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Imo there should be limited raiding for everyone (or at least wayyyy more cultures, especially in Eastern Europe) and there should be way more melting pots, including every possible alt history combination

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Coolguye posted:

The culture specific buildings in castles etc are deactivated when the county flips, not the ruler. And even then they are not torn up, they still exist but they’re not active and you get no benefit from them. So if you have a huge gallowglass barracks and your county culture flips to English during an event you will still have the gallowglass when it changes back to Irish or whatever have you.

This sounds even more needlessly complicated. I thought I only saw buildings of my ruler culture. And those buildings exist but you'll probably only know it from savegames, right?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Palemdromes posted:

Imo there should be limited raiding for everyone (or at least wayyyy more cultures, especially in Eastern Europe) and there should be way more melting pots, including every possible alt history combination

There's one culture group that's pretty unique imho. If you're of the Tibeto-Burman culture group, and have Bön or Buddhism as your religion, you get Monastic Feudal government, which allows you to construct Gompa Monasteries, and to hold temples without penalties. All Tibeto-Burman cultures can also raid at all times.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Torrannor posted:

There's one culture group that's pretty unique imho. If you're of the Tibeto-Burman culture group, and have Bön or Buddhism as your religion, you get Monastic Feudal government, which allows you to construct Gompa Monasteries, and to hold temples without penalties. All Tibeto-Burman cultures can also raid at all times.

The Bon mechanics looked pretty interesting and I tried a game in the region, but I quickly learned I know nothing about Tibet or that part of the world so here wasn't as much context for what I was doing, and I didn't have a big cool overall goal. Also China breathing down your neck at all times is pretty terrifying.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ilitarist posted:

This sounds even more needlessly complicated. I thought I only saw buildings of my ruler culture. And those buildings exist but you'll probably only know it from savegames, right?

your ruler culture is immaterial to what you can build in a county, it's only relevant with regard to the revolt risk you get. county culture flips are pretty rare.

the buildings do exist, but because county culture flips are rare, yeah, it's pretty unlikely you'd know it exists. it's mostly a fine detail to make sure edge cases don't gently caress you any more than required - like the abovementioned example where you, as an irish dude, lose a county to the english, and the english get an extremely lucky proc on culture and convert it in like 20 years or something similarly absurd. when you come back and take the county back, your old cultural building will be waiting for you when the county flips back to irish.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

So I'm hitting up the Byzantines for the first time since before Holy Fury and gently caress me is this different (and also cool). Having the army commanders (including the Scholae Palatinae, which is also fuckin cool) be the electors with the caveat that they have to be landed is rad as hell and definitely different. It's got me training sons as soldiers and landing them rather than just pumping out Hermetics and monastic would-be saints forever. I can already tell that poo poo's gonna get hairy later though once I've got relatives landed all over the drat place.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
My ruler has been trying to sire a son with his genius lover and finally succeeds. However I didn't realize her direct liege married her to a commander and now I didn't get the option to acknowledge my genius son. If im willing to use console commands is there anyway to revel to the realm this newborn is my bastard? Id prefer a non-console command option but a quick google suggests that's impossible.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Somehow not having any marriage ties or faction memberships still made me suddenly inherit Charlemain's successor's france+germany king titles. Whatafak

I really cannot figure out the chain of events that made this happen. I was just a lowly duke of Brabant trying to gobble up Flanders.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I made an attempt at taking my pagans on a path of invasion towards one of their holy site last night. Turns out my neighbors are a big fuckin feudal country with some 4k troops to the paltry 2k I could raise, so I immediately had to retreat (after getting my leg chopped off in a fight). This is going well.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Passing off my Earls to my Dukes to get around the vassal limits leads to some funny things. Somehow as of now, I own Ireland, Scotland, England, Wales, and a part of France. Under my radar, I now also have a vassal king who owns a chunk of territory on the east border of the HRE. Not even sure how or when he managed that, but if I could manage to make him not hate me, we could theoretically whittle down the HRE from two sides.

Or more likely, HRE would eat him and I'd be free to chip at their west border while they're distracted :v:

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Any fun Buddhist campaigns? I'm tempted to try the nomad Liao realm in the new start but half the appeal of Buddhism is having high tech growth.

Also, what are some fun starts if I want to be a lowly count and play Littlefinger (that is, scheme my way to wealth and prestige and start my own noble house.) My first instinct was to play within the Byzantine Empire but having your duchy revoked for free is lame.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Disillusionist posted:

Any fun Buddhist campaigns? I'm tempted to try the nomad Liao realm in the new start but half the appeal of Buddhism is having high tech growth.

Also, what are some fun starts if I want to be a lowly count and play Littlefinger (that is, scheme my way to wealth and prestige and start my own noble house.) My first instinct was to play within the Byzantine Empire but having your duchy revoked for free is lame.

Similarly, I really want to play a Byzantine campaign again since it's been ages and they've had a lot of updates, but I'm spinning my wheels on where to start since I hate just starting off as the emperor. I seem to recall the fringes of the empire being useful for launching conquests and winning yourself a power base.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

I'm having fun starting as one of the judges of Sardinia. Also this:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Quorum posted:

Similarly, I really want to play a Byzantine campaign again since it's been ages and they've had a lot of updates, but I'm spinning my wheels on where to start since I hate just starting off as the emperor. I seem to recall the fringes of the empire being useful for launching conquests and winning yourself a power base.

Would prolly still work but now you don't even necessarily have to do it through a faction. Get a real good martial character to get yourself made commander/marshal and boom, you're suddenly an elegible candidate to be elected Basileus. Then you vigorously suck the dicks of your fellow electors until they pick you and then wait for/aggressively encourage the current Basileus to shed his mortal coil.

https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Imperial_elective

Also protect your dick and balls, that's still a deal breaker.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 7, 2019

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Quorum posted:

My last game in which I started off as a vassal was in Trebizond. One of the provinces lies on the silk road, and in pretty much any bookmark you border enemies so expansion is very possible.

Before I got bored of that campaign, I managed to form the Kingdom of Trebizond and become the emperor's most important vassal and could have become emperor if I bribed enough people. The only pitfall lies in the fact that the emperor can ban vassal wars off the bat. So make sure you keep an eye out on law votes and have enough favors to keep wars allowed (external at the very least). Once it's changed I think it takes 50 years to be eligible for another vote!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

guns for tits posted:

That's one small step for man

One giant leap for a bastard

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Disillusionist posted:

My last game in which I started off as a vassal was in Trebizond. One of the provinces lies on the silk road, and in pretty much any bookmark you border enemies so expansion is very possible.

Before I got bored of that campaign, I managed to form the Kingdom of Trebizond and become the emperor's most important vassal and could have become emperor if I bribed enough people. The only pitfall lies in the fact that the emperor can ban vassal wars off the bat. So make sure you keep an eye out on law votes and have enough favors to keep wars allowed (external at the very least). Once it's changed I think it takes 50 years to be eligible for another vote!

For another vote initiated by the same ruler. If the next head honcho wants external wars to happen, then he can change it right back. I don't think you can form a faction to allow warring, but if you can then that will do it too regardless of the cooldown.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Jedit posted:

For another vote initiated by the same ruler. If the next head honcho wants external wars to happen, then he can change it right back. I don't think you can form a faction to allow warring, but if you can then that will do it too regardless of the cooldown.

I've had NPCs demand I change the vassal war laws or else.

I chose or else. :colbert:

They had a bad time.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

guns for tits posted:

Learning focus, build observatory.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Honky Dong Country posted:

I've had NPCs demand I change the vassal war laws or else.

I chose or else. :colbert:

They had a bad time.

They got the intra-kingdom war they wanted. You got played, son.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

Quorum posted:

I had a great game where I started as Apulia, and after forming Sicily and winning a crusade swore fealty to the empire. Buying a council role and then an election was trivial with the crusade cash.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yadoppsi posted:

My ruler has been trying to sire a son with his genius lover and finally succeeds. However I didn't realize her direct liege married her to a commander and now I didn't get the option to acknowledge my genius son. If im willing to use console commands is there anyway to revel to the realm this newborn is my bastard? Id prefer a non-console command option but a quick google suggests that's impossible.

I can’t think of any if the other guy is already listed as his father. There’s a command to move characters to your court, but if the son has a different official father then that won’t change anything. It should list you as the biological father if you use the charinfo command but for all intents and purposes the other guy is his dad. The only thing I can think of is reloading if you have a save from before he was born. I don’t know the exact events but sometimes the infidelity and the real father will be revealed upon the birth and shame will be brought upon all. You’d have a chance to acknowledge him then.

edit: forgot to add that traits like genius are determined at birth so reloading and hoping you get a genius son who the other guy disowns is kind of a crapshoot.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 8, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's also an event where they'll pop up at your court years later demanding you acknowledge them.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Communist Walrus posted:

They got the intra-kingdom war they wanted. You got played, son.

I bet they felt pretty fuckin smug when I took their land and shook them down for every penny I could get. :haw:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The entire realm hates this fucker.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Picked up the game after a year+ away... at some point I think some fun new traits got added, so instead of just doing strong hunchback, I made my first king a... giant strong hunchback. A few years in he picked up brawny and continued to snowball positive character traits as I played, turning into hulking, misshapen ubermensch beloved by all. He died at 58 because I'm a dummy who forgot camp fever is actually pretty serious. Heir is also a pretty well stacked hunchback but didn't get giant like his sister unfortanately.

It'd be fun if there was a trait modifier drift option - like if you've got a ruler who has some deformity or disability like hunchback or clubfoot or w/e who does a kickass job, it loses its malus for a generation or two because the normies are hunching over to Be Like Mike. Sort of like how some upper class people wore makeup to imitate the look of consumption, or that myth about the lisp in Castilan Spanish.

Anyhow this is the old tried and true Murchad start in Ireland and I'm finding the greater number of counties makes it trickier to start out. Maybe I'm rusty though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

You lucked out. Having giant guarantees that you will eventually get either brawny or frail, but 75% of the time it is frail.

Also enjoy “ESCALATING GIGANTISM” because that poo poo has a chance to kill you regardless of your health and there is no way to cure it.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Clifford the Big Red Duke

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Honky Dong Country posted:

So I'm hitting up the Byzantines for the first time since before Holy Fury and gently caress me is this different (and also cool). Having the army commanders (including the Scholae Palatinae, which is also fuckin cool) be the electors with the caveat that they have to be landed is rad as hell and definitely different. It's got me training sons as soldiers and landing them rather than just pumping out Hermetics and monastic would-be saints forever. I can already tell that poo poo's gonna get hairy later though once I've got relatives landed all over the drat place.

Not played byzantines in a long time. I knew about all the viceroy stuff but no idea about commanders having a vote. Sounds like it'll be much more interesting trying to hold the realm together while reclaiming the old borders. Going to have to give that a try.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Coolguye posted:

You lucked out. Having giant guarantees that you will eventually get either brawny or frail, but 75% of the time it is frail.

Also enjoy “ESCALATING GIGANTISM” because that poo poo has a chance to kill you regardless of your health and there is no way to cure it.

Ah, interesting!

Yeah I got escalating giantism in my 30s but also picked up a hunting dog around the same time which cancelled it out (until the dog died, and then camp fever swept the land).

juche avocado posted:

Clifford the Big Red Duke

Hahaha, missed opportunity there... if it shows up in a later heir I am definitely naming him Clifford though.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

juche avocado posted:

Crusader Kings II: Clifford the Big Red Duke

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Thrasophius posted:

Not played byzantines in a long time. I knew about all the viceroy stuff but no idea about commanders having a vote. Sounds like it'll be much more interesting trying to hold the realm together while reclaiming the old borders. Going to have to give that a try.

Yeah it really is different. Basically the army chooses the next Basileus. All councilors, family members, and commanders are eligible candidates. And all commanders, leader of the Scholae Palatinae, and the Marshal are electors. And commanders can't be random schmuck courtiers with a penchant for war. They have to be landed to be elegible for commander selection. Also a buncha different things dictate the weight of their votes like various stat scores and honorary titles (which the Byzantines literally have 50+ of now, there's like 3-5 different titles that have 10-20 slots each, some of which may or may not be allowed for dynasty members).

My current strategy is raising all my males as soldiers and landing them. Then I make them commanders and such to stack the electorate with my own dynasty to ensure that my dynasty remains in control of the empire, even if they decide to elect the absolute worst of the family. Those few electors that aren't family but are favorable to your candidate nomination you stack with every honorary title you can to give their votes more weight. Naturally you do this with your familial electors too. Not all honorary titles can be given to family and not all can be given to non-family.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 9, 2019

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I just spent the week improving the dynasty DLC flags. Here are my results!

The arms for reference: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/historical-dynasty-coa-list-with-culture-and-dates.1144348/

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

And my Ireland game ends by hitting 1453. Still felt abupt, lol. I ended with an empire consisting of Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, northwest France and was chipping at more of their territory. HRE still dwarfed me, but they were pretty much the only ones.

Maybe I'll see if I can get this Game of Thrones mod working now.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

My game went off the rails getting the Devil Child event. She strangled all of her kinsmen, inherited the kingdom, then got dunked back down to a minor duke. Now I'm trying to claw my way back up again, and having Satan on my side is really helping things.

One of the things that was keeping me down was neglecting upgrades to my castle holdings.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I was the first to convert from tribal to feudal in a shattered world start with all tribal holdings, and now the game is almost unplayable on account of adventurers constantly raiding me with armies three times the size of mine and nonstop epidemics (I have 12 provinces and I've seen up to five simultaneous epidemics in my land, maximum of one outside it).

Is this normal?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

James Garfield posted:

I was the first to convert from tribal to feudal in a shattered world start with all tribal holdings, and now the game is almost unplayable on account of adventurers constantly raiding me with armies three times the size of mine and nonstop epidemics (I have 12 provinces and I've seen up to five simultaneous epidemics in my land, maximum of one outside it).

Is this normal?

I don't know about the epidemics, but I guess that's just bad luck.

For the adventurers, that's not so unusual. Just remember that you can negotiate with them, and give them a county in exchange for stopping adventurers from raiding you for 10 years.

A question for those who use random world starts: Do you ever see something like Imperial Elective or Princely Elective in random world starts, or is that purely for the HRE or ERE in historical starts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tribals all get to constantly dice roll their counselors on creating event troops, which probably adds up if everyone around you is an independent tribe, ready to raid your rear end. If you add in the spend prestige for extra troops trick, those little guys can hit way above what you'd expect. Also gavelkind gives you more troops than primo/ultimogeniture.

Worth noting is that if your grand strategy to beeline feudalism was to convert to an organized religion in the middle of pagan town, pagans get even more tricks to punch above their weight, which in a normal game means just terrorizing Europe, but in shattered realm it leads to wacky viking takeovers of all the little states out of nowhere (although I guess it's semi-historical for vikings to conquer Italy? Not pagan vikings though).