Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Yinlock posted:

what happened to this series anyway, I dropped it when that smell guy won the big competition and souma got chastised for not specializing enough(even though the entire premise of his character is "hey experimenting with foods is fun")
There's some regular arcs before this but Erina's dad Azami shows up and convinces enough of the Elite 10 to side with him and basically helps him take over the school from the current headmaster. He is basically food Hitler- he wants to fully standardize teaching around his methods and eliminate shokugekis/etc to crank out an army of high class chefs (who all cook like him) and uh somehow completely end up controlling the Japanese restaurant industry. This is apparently because he was traumatized by the pressure of the cooking world breaking Souma's dad, who was his classmate and something of an idol to him.

Anyway that arc is really insanely stupid and ends up basically being a Polar Star Dorm vs the Elite 10 and their cronies thing that just goes on for loving ever and is bafflingly stupid. Also it's revealed that Azami lost custody of Erina because he was physically and mentally abusive to her; to the point she basically has a panic attack on seeing him again when he shows up. Souma ends up defeating him and Erina thanks Azami as he walks off (under the idea that he abused her "for her own good").

Souma and Co. end up taking most of the spots on the Elite 10 as the 3rd years graduate with Souma taking Seat 1 and Erina becoming the HEADMASTER of the school. Suddenly literal, actual, for real evil chefs show up called Cuisiner Noirs and they...I dunno, cause trouble somehow? Erina dispatches the Elite 10 because i guess they are cops now??? Souma and Megumi defeat a Cuisiner Noir that was driving the chefs in a resort town out by humiliating them in shokugekis and they find out that they were basically sent to Japan to deliver a message that a new big bad is coming to town. The other chefs are caught by the rest of the crew (again, I guess they can arrest people for food crimes??).

It turns out Souma has a secret brother (real name unknown- self given name is Saiba)- who was an orphan kid that got really close to his father when he was traveling the states. Souma's dad had to leave early to go back to Japan because Souma's mom died, and this kid decides to grow up and somehow magically become a beyond-Elite 10 level chef. He defeats Souma's dad off-screen in a Shokugeki. He comes to the school because he believes 1000% in his dad's philosophy of "find someone you want to cook for". His goal is to woo Erina. He shows up and effortlessly defeats Souma but Erina naturally has no interest in this loving weirdo- so he gives up and goes to plan B which is to have his evil chefs kidnap her. She also not surprisingly is un-wooed by this so he goes to Plan C- he somehow convinces her to make a bet that if he wins Blue (the big super world class cooking competition that actually got mentioned a long time ago in the manga- it was something Souma's dad was going to do before he quit the school) that she'll marry him. That competition is what we're wrapping up now.

Also Saiba has literal superpowers. No really. Like actual magic cooking powers- not just "oh he's preternaturally skilled at some aspect of cooking" but he actually magically gains his opponents entire skillset if he beats them and takes their knife/preferred cooking implement.

Incidentally, the manga has been literally at the back of the magazine in the TOC for a good chunk of this, and it's ending in 2 more chapters after this week. This is a short summary too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the writer also lost his cuisine consultant at some point during Magic Knife Time so you didn't even get to see any tasty food during most of the last few dozen chapters

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Oxxidation posted:

the writer also lost his cuisine consultant at some point during Magic Knife Time so you didn't even get to see any tasty food during most of the last few dozen chapters
It was pretty unfortunate timing on that- since she was pregnant and gave birth during that period. So yeah, also most of the food doesn't get shown because no cooking consultant.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Wow, sounds like it went even further downhill after I stopped reading. Azami getting thanked for being abusive was the last straw, even worse than the poo poo in Assassination Classroom.

I can only assume they replaced the delicious food with more egregious fanservice?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Still doesn't sound even 1/1000th as dumb as Yakitate!! Japan, though that's not saying much.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Begemot posted:

Wow, sounds like it went even further downhill after I stopped reading. Azami getting thanked for being abusive was the last straw, even worse than the poo poo in Assassination Classroom.

I can only assume they replaced the delicious food with more egregious fanservice?
Very specifically so no one can say I took it out of context- Azami is defeated and walks off, and Erina thinks to herself "Thanks, for everything you've done for me" (this is in both the official Viz translation and the fan translations). Basically it's sort of revealed later that anyone with Erina's "god tongue" basically ends up being unable to eat anything but absolutely astounding food to the point that some have literally wasted away and died- and part of Azami's plan was making a machine to crank out the kind of chefs that could presumably- feed her. This last bit is conjecture by me but the text supports it IMO.

The fanservice is there later but actually barely happens for quite a while. It turns out you can make food so good it somehow makes the audience's clothes fly off too so that happens.

Nate RFB posted:

Still doesn't sound even 1/1000th as dumb as Yakitate!! Japan, though that's not saying much.
I think we hit a pretty solid "time travel bread" moment with the cooking magic thing- it's not quite THAT ridiculous though.

There is an evil clown chef that cooks by juggling grill balls. Also one of the main badguy lieutenants uses a chainsaw.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 7, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Yakitate Japan just goes all in on the insanity and is kind of fun for it even as it's bad and stupid

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fabricated posted:

It was pretty unfortunate timing on that- since she was pregnant and gave birth during that period. So yeah, also most of the food doesn't get shown because no cooking consultant.

he could just...temporarily hire another one???

but yeah thanks for the answer wow that sounds bad, and i see why it was brought up in abusive dad manga chat

Jose posted:

Yakitate Japan just goes all in on the insanity and is kind of fun for it even as it's bad and stupid

all I remember from yakitate is BREAD EYES and that one guy who ate bread so good that it literally brought his parents back to life

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Squidster posted:

Read the Vigilantes spinoff. Apart from being a more focussed story, it looks at how day-to-day life works in bizarro quirkworld.

There's a guy who overdosed on a quirk-boosting drug and became a huge mantis thing. He was forced to move to the semi-human district, where services are noticeably worse. It has a researcher talking about how early quirk users were divided into hero and villain not by their actions, but by their popularity. The key to being a successful and rich hero is being conventionally attractive.

The first couple chapters are extremely generic, but it rapidly finds itself and is consistently great now.

Vigilante is so better than the main series that I'm still reading it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There's also the old classic Mister Ajikko, with egg-cooking robots and Hokuto no Sushi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tgHR1wNMQ4

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Plutonis posted:

Vigilante is so better than the main series that I'm still reading it.

it's not spared from parental abuse either though considering the whole oh yeah my son can fly but I stopped him from doing it by slapping the poo poo out of him whenever he tried as a baby, i have also never told him about this thing

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yinlock posted:

it's not spared from parental abuse either though considering the whole oh yeah my son can fly but I stopped him from doing it by slapping the poo poo out of him whenever he tried as a baby, i have also never told him about this thing

I though the spoiler was going to be about how Knuckleduster saved his daughter's life by beating the poo poo out of her and stopping her heart before ripping off the parasite bee and then restarting her heart lmao

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also swatting your infant child to stop him from flying around and getting in danger isn't real abuse although isn't the best parenting option.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Vigilantes is good but lately I think relies too much on having the entire extended cast of pro heroes from the main series show up constantly- which is probably weird because many of them may end up being characterized in the main series in such a way that it ends up making no sense why they're the way they are in Vigilantes.

Having Ingenium pre-spine-carving was really cool since he gets a lot more characterization but everyone else but him and the UA teachers (Midnight is uh...interesting in Vigilantes) feel kinda shoehorned in. It feels better when the series gets to stretch its legs with more original characters and its own plot structure- but it feels like it's getting dovetailed pretty hard into the main plot because the big bads seem to be connected to All For One and his cronies.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Plutonis posted:

I though the spoiler was going to be about how Knuckleduster saved his daughter's life by beating the poo poo out of her and stopping her heart before ripping off the parasite bee and then restarting her heart lmao

nah that was cool because he clearly thought the scenario through a thousand times beforehand and managed to pull off something impossible because of it and saved his daughter's life

Plutonis posted:

Also swatting your infant child to stop him from flying around and getting in danger isn't real abuse although isn't the best parenting option.

she could've tried a car seat or something before immediately going to slapping the poo poo out of a baby

also never bringing up the fact that he can fuckin fly is a dick move

Fabricated posted:

Vigilantes is good but lately I think relies too much on having the entire extended cast of pro heroes from the main series show up constantly- which is probably weird because many of them may end up being characterized in the main series in such a way that it ends up making no sense why they're the way they are in Vigilantes.

Having Ingenium pre-spine-carving was really cool since he gets a lot more characterization but everyone else but him and the UA teachers (Midnight is uh...interesting in Vigilantes) feel kinda shoehorned in. It feels better when the series gets to stretch its legs with more original characters and its own plot structure- but it feels like it's getting dovetailed pretty hard into the main plot because the big bads seem to be connected to All For One and his cronies.

it's a spinoff though, main-series characters kinda have to show up

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 7, 2019

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Speaking of Vigilantes, there's a new chapter out on the Shonen Jump site.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Nate RFB posted:

I would be super super down with an arc in MHA that was just, here's how a faction/aspect of society has adapted to a workforce or populace with extraordinary powers. Like most people probably have pretty minor powers that don't actually do all that much, but is there some sort of public pressure to put say electrical users (who don't render themselves stupid after using their powers) to work in the power generation department? Like how fire/lightning users in Legend of Korra basically work as batteries for the cities. What kind of push back and class divisions does that result in? What kind of discrimination? Are there tensions and divisions that result from how traditional militarizes and police force have to deal with what amounts to a nation-wide PMC?

I realize that all sounds very boring and un-shounen so in a sense I guess it's really just a long winded way of me saying "super hero battles can only keep my interest for a hot second".

Tbh it kinda sounds like you want MHA as written by Log Horizon/Maoyuu dude.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Plutonis posted:

Yinlock posted:

she could've tried a car seat or something before immediately going to slapping the poo poo out of a baby

also never bringing up the fact that he can fuckin fly is a dick move

Quirks are an extension of your body, so Koichi grew up pretty stunted in that aspect.

Also I'm re-checking the chapters where she visits, and Koichi's mom still keeps swatting him with her Quirk to discipline him, even though Koichi's already in college. She also doesn't believe in Koichi doing anything right and casually puts him down whenever she talks at him. While what she's done isn't as monstrous as Endeavor's abuse of his family, it still comes across as abusive to me.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's honestly a more realistic take on bad parenting than the over the top stuff that Endeavor and other bad anime dads do.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Shokugeki just went downhill when it was convinced it really had to go full ham with ridiculous food battling instead of letting the characters develop through their cooking like it had been doing in the first few arcs and I can't think of any iconic dishes beyond the cool meatball curry noodles.

Come hang out in the Cooking Manga thread where we celebrate good cooking manga like The caterer at the Maiko Manor.

And it's also under the Shounen demographic label, so hey it kinda counts.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 8, 2019

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Plutonis posted:

It's honestly a more realistic take on bad parenting than the over the top stuff that Endeavor and other bad anime dads do.

That's a good point. It being more grounded is what makes it so much more effective to me.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

MonsieurChoc posted:

There's also the old classic Mister Ajikko, with egg-cooking robots and Hokuto no Sushi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tgHR1wNMQ4

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Ajikko like the granddaddy of all cooking competition manga?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Compendium posted:

Shokugeki just went downhill when it was convinced it really had to go full ham with ridiculous food battling instead of letting the characters develop through their cooking like it had been doing in the first few arcs and I can't think of any iconic dishes beyond the cool meatball curry noodles.

Come hang out in the Cooking Manga thread where we celebrate good cooking manga like The caterer at the Maiko Manor.

And it's also under the Shounen demographic label, so hey it kinda counts.

going all-in on ridiculous food battling isn't a bad thing, the flaw seems to have been upending the entire story multiple times to focus on some new villains nobody gave a poo poo about

bondster
May 6, 2007

New We Can’t Study

Ogata Arc!!!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Yinlock posted:

going all-in on ridiculous food battling isn't a bad thing, the flaw seems to have been upending the entire story multiple times to focus on some new villains nobody gave a poo poo about

You know what, that's true. They wanted an actual "bad guy" antagonist instead of like, antagonists that are assholes, but have a little dimension to them like Shinomiya and Mimisaka.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Ogata Arc!!!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mulderman posted:

Ogata Arc!!!

OGATA ARC?!?!?!?!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Ajikko like the granddaddy of all cooking competition manga?

I think so.

I discovered it through a french youtuber talking about the french version and it's just so hilarious.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ogata arc had better heavily involve Sekijou.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

And it didn't even focus on her breasts! at least not in the text and the one time Nariyuki saw them was done realistically

Loved Sekijou's Santa outfit with the Rizurin buttons and belt.

I'm looking forward to this arc. :allears:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Chainsawman finally posted the update.

:rip:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Ibblebibble posted:

OGATA ARC?!?!?!?!

“NOODLES WENT BAD”

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Archenteron posted:

Chainsawman finally posted the update.

:rip:

theres that complete kick in the nuts I was waiting from the fucker who wrote Fire Punch

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Heart gear update

I caught up to Heart gear last week. Currently it doesn't look all that special, but I'm enjoying a standard travel manga. Art looks nice and I do like the questions they're putting around the idea of free will the robots may or may not have.

Actually, I'm enjoying Manga Plus a lot.
I've also been reading along with Claymore again.
I read (and watched the anime) it when it was first coming out, and I liked it enough to keep up with it now again. Especially as it's weekly now, which fixes part of the pacing problems.
I just can't help but love the way the Mangaka frames the world as just being this really crappy place for everyone. He's good at world building without letting it get in the way of the story.
I really hope someone is going to continue translating his latest manga again soon as well. It's such a completely different tone (and bit more generic), yet again he's sketching a very interesting world.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The newest Fairy Tail Sequel has a very large dragon in it.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
https://readms.net/r/csm/26/5936/1

Chainsawman

???

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I knew there was no way Makima was dead.

But then I didn't think anyone else was going to die either.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

My reaction is the same.

I have no idea what is going on, but I think I like it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

oh my, that's suspicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Chainsawman ftw.