Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

fishmech posted:

Gosh guys you're right. We should replace those useless HR people with some algorithms and random managers. That definitely won't cause any problems.

Or replace them with bodies that actually represent worker's interests (i.e. unions) instead of a risk-mitigation team serving the interests of the company that just masquerades as representing workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Baronash posted:

~snip, don't feel like eating a prob today~
Coward.

HR's primary job in tech companies is keeping the techies from murdering each other because they are all huge petty babies with no social skills.

Also arguing with insurers. Goddamn so much arguing.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The ideal interviewee is a charismatic sociopath.

For real though. The most useful 'market' skill I picked up in college was through passing face-to-face exams without much actual knowledge. Some charisma, ability to read interviewers and ability to make educated guesses goes a long way.

A person who's a charismatic pathological liar would do even better.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

enki42 posted:

Or replace them with bodies that actually represent worker's interests (i.e. unions) instead of a risk-mitigation team serving the interests of the company that just masquerades as representing workers.

Unions don’t replace HR. You can’t make HR stop being evil even with a union. You need to remove the source of the conflict, that the company wants to grind you into paste. That’s the profit motive that must be crushed if you want to fix HR.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Baronash posted:

No, but you seem awfully intent on bagging on people for their education choices and how it affects nebulous concepts of intelligence and worth that allow you to consider yourself (or some ill-defined other) "better."

~i am a gigantic wanker~

I love how you keep pivoting back to pretending it's my own personal failings that make me dislike HR and not every other problem they have that people have already stated in this thread. :allears:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

ryonguy posted:

I love how you keep pivoting back to pretending it's my own personal failings that make me dislike HR and not every other problem they have that people have already stated in this thread. :allears:

ryonguy posted:

some fuckup with a community college 1.5 GPA communications degree

ryonguy posted:

failed into their career majoring in bullshit business "degrees"

ryonguy posted:

some theater major who grabbed an MBA with some spare credit hours

I actually am pretty comfortable calling this mountain-sized chip on your shoulder a personal failing on your part.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
HR are high school counselors for grown ups.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Nash076/status/1136967409083047939

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Baronash posted:

I actually am pretty comfortable calling this mountain-sized chip on your shoulder a personal failing on your part.

Yet all the legitimate poo poo I pointed out is why you keep refusing to acknowledge, just like every other lovely HR rep out there.

And chip on his shoulder? That’s some great projection there.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I've been working on a project about this, but if any of you have PMs, please send me any of all these "innovations" where tech just reinvents some dystopian aspect of a previous industry.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

HR are high school counselors for grown ups.
Pretty much.

You know you're in tech when HR has a form letter for "Please shower every day" to save time.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Solkanar512 posted:

Yet all the legitimate poo poo I pointed out is why you keep refusing to acknowledge, just like every other lovely HR rep out there.

And chip on his shoulder? That’s some great projection there.

I'm not acknowledging it because I'm not defending HR (except one tangential response to the tired "hue hue, hr so dumb they want 30 years of iOS experience" meme that has an obvious answer). I don't actually have any interest in this specific HR discussion. I neither work in the field, nor have more than a passing understanding of what they do. You probably are right about their issues, I would have no way of knowing.

The point of my posts should be obvious: it's incredibly lovely and pretentious as hell for anyone to hold themselves above another because of their education/gpa (lol, how insecure can you be?)/major. I mostly haven't responded to you because you're not the one doing this.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I've worked some 20 years in tech and the only interactions I've ever had with HR have been about hiring or payroll stuff - either hiring me, hiring someone for my team, or something about my benefits, etc. Any actual social issues within the team have always been dealt with by the corresponding tech lead or equivalent (a fellow socially awkward dev), in every company I've been in so far at least.

I really don't get the hate for HR, they're doing their job like everyone else. "They're tools of the company" well no poo poo buddy, guess what so are you

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Pochoclo posted:

I've worked some 20 years in tech and the only interactions I've ever had with HR have been about hiring or payroll stuff - either hiring me, hiring someone for my team, or something about my benefits, etc. Any actual social issues within the team have always been dealt with by the corresponding tech lead or equivalent (a fellow socially awkward dev), in every company I've been in so far at least.

I really don't get the hate for HR, they're doing their job like everyone else. "They're tools of the company" well no poo poo buddy, guess what so are you

Just wait until you get a promotion or job transfer denied because some clueless HR drone decided that you needed a few more years experience, despite being the hiring manager's first choice.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

Just wait until you get a promotion or job transfer denied because some clueless HR drone decided that you needed a few more years experience, despite being the hiring manager's first choice.
And there it is.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Pochoclo posted:

You're not in the US though

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Solkanar512 posted:

Not saying you're wrong about your particular situation, I'm sure you're not, but stuff like this is often the manager getting air cover to hire someone else without pissing off a current employee.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Solkanar512 posted:

Shockingly, managers don't always make the best choice the first time.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I'm really looking forward to the stories about employees being pressured to take their salary in Fakecoin, getting small punishments when they don't, etc.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Let me guess, something in your HR file came back to bite you? Maybe?

Rent-A-Cop posted:

You know you're in tech when HR has a form letter for "Please shower every day" to save time.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I wonder if Amazon HR sends form letters about taking a shower every day to the warehouse workers. They probably have lots of other form letters for warehouse workers.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Family Values posted:

I wonder if Amazon HR sends form letters about taking a shower every day to the warehouse workers. They probably have lots of other form letters for warehouse workers.
The letter warehouse workers get is "The computer goofed the scheduling and someone worked an hour of overtime last week so everyone's hours are cut this week. PS happy holidays!*

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Family Values posted:

"Based on our warehouse metrics, we have identified an excessive usage of water in the locker rooms after shifts. Please note that showers are limited to no more than 30 seconds per shift, per individual.

To reduce costs, we will be installing badge access to shower stalls to track usage. Water usage in excess of 30 seconds will be charged to employee canteen accounts.

Thank you for your understanding. Get back to work, peons."

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Family Values posted:

I'm really looking forward to the stories about employees being pressured to take their salary in Fakecoin, getting small punishments when they don't, etc.

It's going to be way more fun if it really is completely optional and employees just do it for no reason hoping to get in early for another bubble

You're going to get the same Medium posts later on as if they got pressured

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Write script get scrip.

Scrip and save?

Scripped off.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

If the guy implementing the company blockchain scrip isn't scamming the poo poo out of it he's doing his job wrong.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 7, 2019

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Sundae posted:

"Based on our warehouse metrics, we have identified an excessive usage of water in the locker rooms after shifts. Please note that showers are limited to no more than 30 seconds per shift, per individual.

To reduce costs, we will be installing badge access to shower stalls to track usage. Water usage in excess of 30 seconds will be charged to employee canteen accounts.

Thank you for your understanding. Get back to work, peons."

NINETY NINE - PERCENT WATER

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Police state outsources surveillance to you! At reduced price!

quote:

f you're walking in Bloomfield, New Jersey, there's a good chance you're being recorded. But it's not a corporate office or warehouse security camera capturing the footage -- it's likely a Ring doorbell made by Amazon.

While residential neighborhoods aren't usually lined with security cameras, the smart doorbell's popularity has essentially created private surveillance networks powered by Amazon and promoted by police departments.

Police departments across the country, from major cities like Houston to towns with fewer than 30,000 people, have offered free or discounted Ring doorbells to citizens, sometimes using taxpayer funds to pay for Amazon's products. While Ring owners are supposed to have a choice on providing police footage, in some giveaways, police require recipients to turn over footage when requested.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

http://twitter.com/ekp/status/1136686456422801408

Welp, I guess Twitter embed is broken.

Ellen Pao tweets:

quote:

This Uber article is brutal. "Uber's most important innovation has been to produce staggering levels of private wealth without creating any sustainable benefits for consumers, workers, the cities they serve, or anyone else"
https://americanaffairsjournal.org/2019/05/ubers-path-of-destruction/

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i've never understood why people invest in uber. there's no point where it can ever be profitable.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

i've never understood why people invest in uber. there's no point where it can ever be profitable.
It's legal gambling.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Groovelord Neato posted:

And a government can wipe out entire markets at the stroke of a pen.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It's legal gambling.

An honest ponzi

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

skooma512 posted:

And a government can wipe out entire markets at the stroke of a pen.

In this economy??!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

but what if youre wrong.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

venture capital is already throwing buckets of cash in the hope that one of the many bets you place pays off enough to cover the losses, desperation is baked in as a necessity

in uber's case they're just plausible enough to not go bankrupt quickly and with dignity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxZXptGpXng

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

And I've never understood why Uber keeps hiring new chiefs. There's no point since they'll step down shortly afterward anyway.

https://twitter.com/MarketWatch/status/1137093355035340800

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah after i posted that i remembered the guy that invested in theranos thought it was a good idea to be interviewed for the documentary in a bitcoin tie.

and at some conference said he'd invest in a company in which holmes was involved in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HR is a great tool for gaining compliance in employees and also getting a heartbeat on your 20%