Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like it may be because just awareness isn't there yet but you don't even have any notable asexual sellouts to the status quo like you do with gays. The millennials see it most clearly that straying even slightly from the mold or just being young causes your privilege to loving collapse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The millennials see it most clearly that straying even slightly from the mold or just being young causes your privilege to loving collapse.
shame that we honed cancel culture to an acceptable online thing, though

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The millennials see it most clearly that straying even slightly from the mold or just being young causes your privilege to loving collapse.
It just human conformist adapting to change.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

zoomers are the most enlightened generation. they trend left but aren't holier than thou about it, instead they focus all their energies on either being hedonistic and having idiotic fun until we all die, or actively crave death until it actually happens

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think you're underestimating just how hard society works to gently caress over anyone who doesn't fit into the accepted mold.

it's juts hosed up because on a surface it can be really difficult to differentiate someone voicing legit oppressions from an r/dogfree poster. at the same time we've commodified identities so much that totally unoppressed people are adopting whatever identity they can in order to further their brand. and because our conversation around oppression is so unnuanced, people think that if you're not an oppressed identity you must be an oppressor, so they look for anything that can separate them from the dreaded white-cis-het label. it's such a shitshow.

DONT THREAD ON ME has issued a correction as of 18:12 on Jun 7, 2019

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

zoomers are the most enlightened generation. they trend left but aren't holier than thou about it, instead they focus all their energies on either being hedonistic and having idiotic fun until we all die, or actively crave death until it actually happens

Teens, being hedonistic and having dumb fun???

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i am in my 30s put pass for pretty yooung, i've been considering becoming a zoomer

Doimper
Jun 7, 2019

feelin the Takes coursing through my veins

get that OUT of my face posted:

zoomers are terrifyingly powerful and should be avoided at all costs

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

tbf anhedonia is also a thing and if you're at the doctor and mention a complete lack of sexual attraction that or something similar's gonna come up

That’s the other big reason the Asexual label is difficult to classify. Is a low libido a medical defect that needs to be treated vs a part of your identity/personality? Then the dialogue goes to stupid places about what is and isn’t “natural”, and comparisons to gay conversion therapy.

I believe currently it is recognized as a medical condition but simultaneously your insurance wont pay for any libido treatments because they’re classified as “lifestyle drugs” (like ED and hair loss meds).

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

ah, an LGBTQIA+ question in C-SPAM. well, you see,

*chops own head off with a broadsword*

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
if people tell you that you're weird for not liking sex it's ok to tell them to go gently caress themselves, imo

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think you're underestimating just how hard society works to gently caress over anyone who doesn't fit into the accepted mold.

Was a thread recently, maybe r/relationships where it came out how kids who are seen as cute find themselves being nagged from age 6 onwards about whether they have boyfriends/girlfriends and such

drat what a way to find out no one considered me a cute child

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Subvisual Haze posted:

That’s the other big reason the Asexual label is difficult to classify. Is a low libido a medical defect that needs to be treated vs a part of your identity/personality? Then the dialogue goes to stupid places about what is and isn’t “natural”, and comparisons to gay conversion therapy.

i am not persuaded that low libido is a full characterization of what it means to be an asexual person either. possibly a matter of subdivisions that should exist though.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

it's juts hosed up because on a surface it can be really difficult to differentiate someone voicing legit oppressions from an r/dogfree poster. at the same time we've commodified identities so much that totally unoppressed people are adopting whatever identity they can in order to further their brand. and because our conversation around oppression is so unnuanced, people think that if you're not an oppressed identity you must be an oppressor, so they look for anything that can separate them from the dreaded white-cis-het label. it's such a shitshow.

*~neurotypical~*

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
y'all should have some sex

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
have sex

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
how many y'all like sex

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

how many y'all like sex

i'm still collecting data and not ready to weigh in one way or another.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

how many y'all like sex

it's ok but have you heard about video games?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

*~neurotypical~*

Is an actual term

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

how many y'all like sex

More butt than a box of newports

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSALQn0u9z4
me reading this thread

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0j2dVuhr6s

this is me

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

how many y'all like sex
i'm laughin cuz i know

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
let's see if i can find the "literally thousands of asexual victims in the Holocaust" one but in the meantime

which is not to knock asexual inclusion at all (lgbtqia is the way to go) but man was 2012-2014 a shitshow in the discourse on the subject

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Is “pathologically lying on the internet” a sexuality

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Is “pathologically lying on the internet” a sexuality

I certainly get off to it so maybe

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I’m thinking about starting an asexual computer repair service.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I really expected "asexual people exist" to be an uncontroversial topic on a left leaning internet forum but I forget that half of us listen to Chapo and can't stop screeching about how idpol is bad

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

im on the net me boys posted:

I really expected "asexual people exist" to be an uncontroversial topic on a left leaning internet forum but I forget that half of us listen to Chapo and can't stop screeching about how idpol is bad

weird that it's the idpol proponents who seem to be the most outspoken about asexual people not existing, i wonder why that is

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

weird that it's the idpol proponents who seem to be the most outspoken about asexual people not existing, i wonder why that is

Yeah, sure, that's totally what's going on here

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

crazy cloud posted:

Crazy, insane, idea over here - maybe you aren't exposed to minority viewpoints **because** of systemic oppression preventing people from feeling safe to openly discuss them, you deplorable neoliberal piece of poo poo cuck

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Yeah, sure, that's totally what's going on here

why the gently caress would anti-identarians care if asexuals are part of lgbt, dipshit.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

why the gently caress would anti-identarians care if asexuals are part of lgbt, dipshit.

??? That's literally my point????

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chillgamesh posted:

being pressured into sex is bad and if just not liking sex in general is part of your identity you will face a lot of undue stress from society for sure

I imagine being asexual is a bigger issue for women than it is for men, due to both the pressure to have children and the fact that women in general face more pressure from men to be romantically involved than vice versa (i.e. a man both receives less romantic/sexual advances and faces less backlash for rejecting them).

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

??? That's literally my point????

what was your point?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

what was your point?

That I'm not surprised that people who screech about idpol being bad are the sort of people who are like "why do asexual people exist"

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Saagonsa posted:

Teens, being hedonistic and having dumb fun???

Not true. Multiple studies have confirmed that modern teens don't gently caress, don't drink, and don't drug; they're high-strung risk averse Type A or else suicidal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

asexuality ought to be genetically engineered until population growth is under control