Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Mantis42 posted:

Non-KOTM question: why is Battra named Battra? She's clearly not a bat. She starts out as a caterpillar, for God's sake!

what eats moths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mantis42 posted:

Non-KOTM question: why is Battra named Battra? She's clearly not a bat. She starts out as a caterpillar, for God's sake!

He, I think Battra is canonically Mothra's brother. Though hell I prefer to think Destroyah's a she so really do what you feel

So the reason why Battra is a bit of a gag. Mothra is called Mosura in Japanese because it's the English word Moth, combined with Ra, since the Japanese word for Moth is Ga.

The Japanese word for butterfly is Batafurai, which you would think would be the origin for Battra, but nope.

Their original name was Gigamoth, and was changed to Battra as a shortening of the words "Battle Mothra", and is referred to at one point in the movie as "Black Mothra".

So that's it really. Battle Mothra, becomes Battra.

Nothing to do with bats at all weirdly enough.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Panfilo posted:

I think Mothra's symbiosis with Godzilla is like those birds that get bears or badgers to follow them to a beehive so that they tear the Hive open and the bird can get at the good stuff without having to deal with bees.

In this case, Mothra is able to summon Godzilla places, perhaps to safely absorb radiation or something. On the flip side, Godzilla can't fly which puts him at a disadvantage against flying monsters,so having air support is useful.

Mothra is figuratively and literally Godzilla's eyes in the sky.

Puns aside, I liked their teamwork in this. Like I said before, they're like the MUTOs from 2014, except both pack a lot more power, Mothra in particular being much more lethal than the male MUTO. I pointed this out before, but besides the webbing (which is clearly the most powerful attack in Godzilla history as it took out both Godzilla and Ghidorah in the old movies, String Shot OP), when Godzilla had Ghidorah down the first time in their final fight, he seemed to be planning on having Mothra come in for a potential killing blow, before Rodan joined in.

I'm interested in the novelization that was mentioned in the tweet I linked earlier. I saw posts elsewhere saying that it goes more in-depth into things than the movie was able to, plus it has some things that weren't in it like the Kong bit I linked.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Burkion posted:

He, I think Battra is canonically Mothra's brother. Though hell I prefer to think Destroyah's a she so really do what you feel

So the reason why Battra is a bit of a gag. Mothra is called Mosura in Japanese because it's the English word Moth, combined with Ra, since the Japanese word for Moth is Ga.

The Japanese word for butterfly is Batafurai, which you would think would be the origin for Battra, but nope.

Their original name was Gigamoth, and was changed to Battra as a shortening of the words "Battle Mothra", and is referred to at one point in the movie as "Black Mothra".

Surely there was a japanese word for butterflies before the anglicized version?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Huh, neat trivia. Thanks!

Battra is basically the Shadow the Hedgehog of Mothras.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

DeimosRising posted:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E8%9D%B6#Readings Wiktionary suggests "chouchou"

e: Burkion def. knows way more about the language than I do, heed him

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 7, 2019

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DeimosRising posted:

There's a bunch of kanji but I'm not sure how they'd sound. Working off of what research I can do on that one.

There's a possibility that they did not differentiate between Butterflies and Moths before they were introduced to other cultures. Could be why they chose Moth-ra for the very Butterfly-y Mothra.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DeimosRising posted:

Did English not have words for a big wave before tsunamis?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Chouchou would be an interesting thing to call butterflies if that's the case. You could wrangle some kind of 'transformation' meaning from that I'm sure, given that Chou means to over do or go beyond and can also mean Super or Ultra.

Choju, for instance, is used in Ultraman Ace to refer to the monsters Yapool creates or alters, literally meaning Super Beasts. But the understanding is that it can mean "Transformed Beast" as well, since he artificially enhanced kaiju with technology or altered existing ones by some means. Including fusing two kaiju into one, in one instance.

Japanese is not a super precise language for that kind of stuff and the same word can be used in many different ways depending on the context. The written language can be a headache to suss out due to how they got kanji from China and changed it.

Lends itself to lots of Japanese name puns though so hey

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Did English not have words for a big wave before tsunamis?

Tidal wave? Tsunami is just catchier and English is a kleptomaniac language.

Ghidorah is basically a Pacific Rim Kaiju in this. Kinda funny given I thought they were going to go for him being mutated conjoined triplets. Though he might still be.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Tidal wave? Tsunami is just catchier and English is a kleptomaniac language.

Ghidorah is basically a Pacific Rim Kaiju in this. Kinda funny given I thought they were going to go for him being mutated conjoined triplets. Though he might still be.

No way.

Ghidorah actually has agency and character of his own, and for ONCE isn't under control by alien overlords.

The Kaiju in Pacific Rim are generally just bio-weapons shaped like monsters, artificial in every way. Ghidorah is a truly alien being all his own.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Pacific Rim is very all-in on the idea of symmetry, with the kaiju being the alien equivalent of the jaegers - or perhaps more revealingly, the jaegers being the human equivalent of the kaiju. There's a reason the tagline in the promotion for it was "To fight monsters, we created monsters".

e: they literally stared into the abyss and the abyss stared back into them, now that i think about it

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Burkion posted:

Also has the brattier set of twins

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On the topic of Ghidorah:

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/1136281731349323776

Also, confirming the theory most people had:

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/1136555493412024321

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 7, 2019

sammyv
Nov 8, 2010
I know very little about Godzilla lore, but I loved Rodan in this. Is he always a kind of shifty, mercenary type in his allegiances? He seems like a total dickhead, which was enormously endearing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sammyv posted:

I know very little about Godzilla lore, but I loved Rodan in this. Is he always a kind of shifty, mercenary type in his allegiances? He seems like a total dickhead, which was enormously endearing.

Rodan usually has more of a spine than this, but kind of yeah.

He will throw down with anyone. He picked a fight with Godzilla just for fun and only switched to Ghidorah after Mothra shamed him by having bigger balls than he did.

In the Heisei era, he fought everyone he didn't care. The only thing he cared about was getting his little bro, Godzilla Jr. back.

This included fighting Godzilla, multiple times, and then fighting Super MechaGodzilla

Until finally he realized he couldn't do it on his own, and putting his baby bro above himself, sacrificed himself to give Godzilla a boost in power to put the mecha tin can down.

Rodan tends to fight for Rodan is what I'm saying

sammyv
Nov 8, 2010

Burkion posted:

Lovely. This is just what I wanted to hear. So if I had an appetite for some arsehole pterodactyl action, where do I go for the best of Rodan?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Burkion posted:

He will throw down with anyone. He picked a fight with Godzilla just for fun and only switched to Ghidorah after Mothra shamed him by having bigger balls than he did.

Note, this was larva Mothra, not imago Motha. A giant caterpillar (that had already beaten Godzilla once with the help of its sibling) tried to get Godzilla and Rodan to help stop King Ghidorah from wiping out humanity, then when they refused went and fought Ghidorah alone. Which, predictably, led to Mothra getting smacked around a lot, but she didn't give up, leading to the aforementioned moment where Rodan, and Godzilla for that matter, are so ashamed (and/or impressed with Mothra's courage) that they join in too, eventually beating him together.

Mothra does not gently caress around, is what I am saying.

On the topic of rear end in a top hat Rodan, I mentioned this before but I really loved how expressive he was in this. In particular, he seemed like he was having the time of his life during his rampage after waking up and had what looked like a massive grin just before his roll that took out all those jets.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rodan loving owns in this movie. He loved every second about being an angry fire boi.

Every monster had so much personality.

I loved lefty Ghidorah eating the snow for no real reason other than it’s dumb and curious as hell.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Burkion posted:

Eh, I dunno. Godzilla picked a fight with Rodan in GTTHM just as much as Rodan picked a fight with him. And they both seemed like pretty stand-up guys in Monster Zero.

Unfortunately, that's the last movie of the Showa era where Rodan really had a personality. A shame his suit was too damaged to be used in Godzilla vs. Gigan, but I suppose poor Anguirus would languish in obscurity otherwise.

interfior
Nov 5, 2013

DeafNote posted:

Also has the brattier set of twins

Where is this from?

Regarding the nuclear bomb waking up Godzilla, I thought it should have been an experimental reactor or something instead.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

interfior posted:

Where is this from?

Regarding the nuclear bomb waking up Godzilla, I thought it should have been an experimental reactor or something instead.

That's what The Bomb was.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Most Kaiju supercharging the environment in their wake actually makes a fair bit of sense, since it's the only way that they could even possibly begin to justify maintaining their existence.

...weirdly enough reminds me of ending of Subnautica of all things.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

My friend and I watched Destroy All Monsters last night and pretty much agreed it's the least favourite of the Showas we've watched (we've avoided Son of Godzilla and Raids Again, mind). I was expecting some more focus on the worldwide destruction but it wound up being alien poo poo for the back half until the fight. Once that got going it was awesome but by that point we had almost checked out.

Alas and alack, I feel like this movie deserves a redub and a better edit.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sammyv posted:

Lovely. This is just what I wanted to hear. So if I had an appetite for some arsehole pterodactyl action, where do I go for the best of Rodan?

Thankfully or sadly your options are limited.

Rodan 1956 is his solo movie that has a very fun twist I won't spoil if you don't know it. Do NOT watch the English dub.

While I champion Godzilla King of the Monsters 1956 and have kind things to say about some of 1985, and I think Monster Zero is best dubbed, Rodan's dub ruins the movie. It just destroys it. Catch it with subtitles you'll be thankful.

Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster is basically the Avengers of the era, or some kind of minor Avengers. The three major kaiju from Toho who all had their own solo films gather together to fight some rear end in a top hat from space.

Monster Zero is Rodan's last real hurrah, as his suit wasn't in great shape and too expensive to justify fixing. He goes out like a champ though.

Destroy All Monsters has Rodan in it but he's mostly just around. We see him eat dolphins tho

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Rodan (1956) is the only true sequel to Godzilla (1954).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The aliens in Godzilla movies always seem super tacked on even by the standards of non-kaiju Godzilla plots. King of the Monsters probably has the fight idea in Ghidorah's alien nature being by inference and then basically a background detail rather than front and centre, and an explanation for how he breaks the rules established by the relatively naturalistic kaiju.

Also, I'm pondering a Superman vs Godzilla crossover with the Legendary versions and it's loving crazy. (Lex Luthor is a MONARCH backer who considers Superman to be a kaiju, and the Amazons adopt Mothra)

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The aliens in Godzilla movies always seem super tacked on even by the standards of non-kaiju Godzilla plots. King of the Monsters probably has the fight idea in Ghidorah's alien nature being by inference and then basically a background detail rather than front and centre, and an explanation for how he breaks the rules established by the relatively naturalistic kaiju.

Also, I'm pondering a Superman vs Godzilla crossover with the Legendary versions and it's loving crazy. (Lex Luthor is a MONARCH backer who considers Superman to be a kaiju, and the Amazons adopt Mothra)

It would just be this

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Rodan (1956) is the only true sequel to Godzilla (1954).

Absolutely

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The aliens in Godzilla movies always seem super tacked on even by the standards of non-kaiju Godzilla plots.

I dunno how you could say this about eg Invasion of Astro Monster

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The aliens in Godzilla movies always seem super tacked on even by the standards of non-kaiju Godzilla plots.

my favorite thing about all japanese movies is how casual they drop psychics into things.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Rodan kinda set the tone of the whole Showa series- the structure is similar to Godzilla but there’s less intense drama and direct reminders of national trauma. It was the first kaiju film written by Shinichi Sekizawa, who would write most of Toho’s effects movies in the Showa era.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Reading the novelization now. So far, it's pretty much the movie, but with things like insight into the characters' thoughts, descriptions of past events (such as Maddie remembering something a MONARCH scientist told her about the Mothra site or a little anecdote referencing the comic as well as 2014), and a prologue that, while not explicitly stated, is clearly from Godzilla's perspective. Which I'm fine with; "the movie, but with all the stuff they couldn't fit/afford to put into the movie, plus stuff that just works better in book form" is pretty much exactly what I wanted and was expecting, provided there's enough of those latter things.

Couple things from the first chapter: First, a detail that, for obvious reasons, didn't come across/was hard to catch in the movie, but while her dad was sending her emails every day, Maddie apparently hadn't been responding to any of them; her unsent reply at the start of the film would have been the first. That, and some of her reminiscing on events since their parents split, felt pretty realistic for that situation to me.

Second, while not explicitly stated, something I just caught (and probably would have caught on a rewatch, because while it's probably not at the forefront of your mind after finishing the movie it's incredibly obvious once you revisit the scene; I'm probably going to get some "No poo poo" reactions for even bothering to type it out): Maddie knew her mom's plan from the start. She didn't just have suspicions like her email draft implied, didn't have things explained to her offscreen between the kidnapping and the Antartica stuff (my assumption during the movie since I didn't think about this scene), or anything like that, she knew from before the movie started that her mom wanted to release the Titans and was having second thoughts. Might not have known about the eco-terrorists murdering people [Edit: Definitely not, based on her thoughts in the next chapter.], but definitely about the plan to release the giant monsters. That's why she expressed worry about her dad at the start and Emma replied about him being in the safest place he could be; it wasn't just general worry about him due to not having seen him in so long, it was specifically fear of him getting killed by an unleashed Titan and a reassurance that, as far as they know, there aren't any remotely near where he is. Again, super obvious in retrospect, but if you don't think about that scene in particular, or just rewatch the film, then you might not realize it.

Going to keep reading, if I find anything particularly interesting I'll share it here.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 7, 2019

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Please, the Amazons would worship Mothra as the one living deity

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

It would just be this

No matter how many times this gets posted I never get tired of it.

Also, username/post :discourse:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Description of Mokole-Mbembe, the Titan at Jebel Barkal:

quote:

“Mokele-Mbembe,” he repeated. “The name comes from a legendary creature in the tales of the people of Zimbabwe. The name means ‘One who Stops the Flow of Rivers.’”
“Okay,” she said. “So is it a lizard, or a bug, or…”
“Closer to a snake, I guess,” he said. “Or maybe an elephant. You’ll see.”
[...later...]
It was too big to take in all at once. She strained to pick out details in the dim light, to factor out the containment rigging from the thing it contained.
It was coiled up like a snake. But something big lay in the middle of the coils, suggesting that what she was looking at wasn’t a snake, but something with a massive, snake-like tail. The coils hid most of the details of the central body and head, but the wicked-looking curve of a horn stuck up from it, pulsing with a very faint green light.

There's also a brief scene with Jonah and one of his subordinates here:

quote:

Jonah pushed the dead body of a Monarch tech from his chair, checked to make sure the seat wasn’t bloody. No sense in staining his clothes. It was clean, so he sat down. The dead man was still signed in, so it was no trouble to find the other containment sites. He copied them out. Just in case the data he’d come by five years before was obsolete.
There were more of them than he’d thought. That was good – the more the better.
He was just finishing up when Asher arrived.
“Colonel,” Asher said.
“Are Dr. Russell and her daughter secure?” he asked.
“Yes, sir. We’ve got them in the Osprey. We’re ready any time you are.”
“Good.” He noticed Asher staring at the man he’d pushed out of the chair. “Something bothering you?”
“No, sir,” he said.
“We’re at war,” Jonah said. “There are casualties in war.”
“I don’t question that,” Asher said.
Jonah smiled, a really genuine smile he almost never brought out.
“Yes, you do,” he said, softly. “You’re young, yet. You still care for… these. After all, they are our species. Evolution built us to care for them. But evolution isn’t always right, is it?”
Asher swallowed and tried to smile.
“Well there was the dodo,” he said. “And the platypus – that doesn’t seem quite right.”
“You know what I mean,” Jonah said.
“I do, yeah,” Asher said. “Look, what you did for me – nobody ever did anything like that for me before. I’m with you all the way to the end, no matter what. I’ll kill a thousand more like this if you tell me it’s necessary. I’m just not necessarily going to like it.”
“I know that,” Jonah told him. “But we’ve got it all right here in our hands, now. We can do everything we’ve dreamed of. It’s not the time for hesitation.”
“Yes, sir,” Asher said. “I understand that.”
Jonah nodded. “We’ve got the passcodes and Monarch gear?”
“Waiting on you, sir.”
“Let’s go, then,” Jonah said. “I’m done with this place.”

Also some Mark stuff. References to Alphas in natural wolf packs, which, though it seems to be used just to mean the leader of the pack and lacks any reference to aggressive dominance the way people tend to think of it, is still a bit grating. Ah well, given the movie's repeated use of the term this isn't surprising.

Edit: Ahahaha, this line about Mark from after Monarch picks him up.

quote:

The wolves wouldn’t miss him. He needed them, not the other way around. Which seemed to sum up all of his relationships.

In prose that highlights Mark's fuckups, insecurities, and how he's honestly kind of pathetic, he's ironically a lot more likable than in Hollywood-vision that tries to mask all that so he can be their rugged white male lead. The book seems to be aware that he's kind of a weird loser hermit, even if the dialog seems like it came straight from the script as it's word-for-word the same as the movie in all the scenes they share.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 7, 2019

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mantis42 posted:

Huh, neat trivia. Thanks!

Battra is basically the Shadow the Hedgehog of Mothras.

"Where's that damned fourth Mothra larvae?!"

Violator
May 15, 2003

So the novelization says Kong receives a call to join a hunt ands that first signal he can’t ignore from the outside world? Is that Godzilla calling as he passes Skull Island or something else?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Violator posted:

So the novelization says Kong receives a call to join a hunt ands that first signal he can’t ignore from the outside world? Is that Godzilla calling as he passes Skull Island or something else?

I believe it’s Ghidorah’s call. However, the call also wakes up the skull crawlers so Kong stays in the island to hunt those.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I wonder if Monarch tried to teach Kong sign-language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Violator posted:

Not exactly. For one, he does ignore it, at least if you're talking about the bit I linked before. It's just that in the past, any "calls" he heard from others, including one implied to be from Godzilla passing by, weren't interested in him or asking anything of him, so they didn't really matter to him. The latest one, though, is calling on him to hunt and destroy, as it's Ghidorah making his rallying cry. But Kong doesn't give a gently caress about anything beyond his island, or any of the Titans as long as they stay away, so other than the irritation it causes him he shrugs it off. At least until he notices that the Skullcrawlers also heard the call and are getting active again, at which point he gets up to go hunt them.

Overall, it mostly just serves as an aside about what Kong was up to during the movie, but it raises a couple of interesting ideas too, particularly that Kong is on at least a similar level to Godzilla and Mothra, since he's the only Titan besides them that didn't fall in line when Ghidorah made his claim. Which, given that the next movie is him and Godzilla facing off, is kind of essential for there to be any question about who would win, I suppose. So it's setup for that movie too, since it establishes what Kong cares about and what it'd take to make him give a drat about the other Titans, (i.e. loving with his island; I'd bet that something happening to it, whether it's Godzilla's fault or just appears to be, turns out to be the impetus for the conflict in the next movie) on top of answering the fan question of why he didn't go to Boston as well.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 7, 2019