Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm the deflector array array

We got some serious deflectin' to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

i feel like this is the TOS equivalent to the NCC-1701-JFAZW

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
...apparently https://www.jfazw.com has been taken over by some app website?? this is very upsetting

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Tighclops posted:

I love the Oberth. I bet it's warp drive makes a "poot poot poot" sound when it goes

The USS Dick Turpin

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Bloop posted:

We got some serious deflectin' to do

i haven't seen this much deflecting since the last presidential press conference

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UimJ5qBQs-c

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

maybe adverts back then were more designed to scare the poo poo out of you so you loving behave yourself and wash as the space man demands

?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

tfw your girl calls you "seasoned"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

counterfeit spock , good username

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

spalk's watching you wash your underthings

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"I heard...motherfucker had like...30 goddamn nacelles."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The USS Spruce Goose

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Proof the 24th century still uses money. This is a government contract where everyone gets a taste.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Astroman posted:

"I heard...motherfucker had like...30 goddamn nacelles."

He's warping he's warping he's warping.

And then probably exploding into a trillion pieces.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They say there are entire societies lost within the Jefferies Tubes

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/1136369601711755265?s=19

:kimchi:

It's a great article but this one bit right here:

quote:

like many members of Gen Z, I was introduced to Star Trek by the 2009 J.J. Abrams movie.

made me feel like that gif of Tim Allen instantly turning into Santa Claus

Orv
May 4, 2011
I don't normally do this kind of thing but jesus loving christ.

speakhard
Nov 30, 2003

from mars to uranus.
Just chiming in to say that really is a great article. I clicked the link expecting to get mad at it (I think that's my default setting these days...I should do something about that) but it's really lovely and affirming and good to know that the JJ films can be a path for a young person to discover those things in Trek.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh it's a great article I just don't need more horrifying reminders of my encroaching mortality.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Orv posted:

Oh it's a great article I just don't need more horrifying reminders of my encroaching mortality.

Time is the fire in which we burn.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Just got to Best Of Both Worlds in my "re" watch of TNG -- although I honestly have no idea if I ever saw the entire 2-parter. I feel like I've always known it, but very vaguely. Pretty much the only season 1-3 episode that I know I've seen all of, before this viewing, was Yesterday's Enterprise.

Anyway, it's a shame they didn't have the ending worked out when they wrote part 1, because there's a perfect opportunity for foreshadowing. They had a whole scene where people are talking about the importance of sleep!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Okay so I think we've all got our own notions of what the hell is going on in the Oberth's underslung section (massive sensor arrays, deuterium tankage, automated meth lab) but does anyone have any sources on what the hell the actual designer thought was in there?

Isn't it just the engineering hull?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Polaron posted:

It seems so

LOOOONG turbolift ride from the bridge to engineering, having to go through the nacelle pylons lol

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Bloop posted:

It seems so

LOOOONG turbolift ride from the bridge to engineering, having to go through the nacelle pylons lol

Also at an angle (I know artificial gravity and all, but still).

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Bloop posted:

It seems so

Nah, fam, if you work engineering you live down there. The science and command crew live isolated from the rabble. There are no passages between hulls.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Nah, fam, if you work engineering you live down there. The science and command crew live isolated from the rabble. There are no passages between hulls.

Chief Engineer to the Bridge

Uhhhhhhhhh

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Also at an angle (I know artificial gravity and all, but still).

TurboInclinator / TurboFunicular then

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Slides down and transporters up.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

Slides down and transporters up.

Chutes and Transporters is a poo poo game because it's 100% random

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Bloop posted:

Chief Engineer to the Bridge

Uhhhhhhhhh

There's just a speaker grill on the chief's office wall. Only the Chief is allowed to use it, to receive orders from above.

The Chief Enginseer, like all Enginseers, was born in the Darkness to provide Light for Those Above. And they all shall die in the Darkness, for that is the Law. Toil for the benefit of others, the moral destiny of the warp drive-twisted monsters shambling through corridors lit only by LCARS displays and candles made from the rendered fat of the dead.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

There's just a speaker grill on the chief's office wall. Only the Chief is allowed to use it, to receive orders from above.

The Chief Enginseer, like all Enginseers, was born in the Darkness to provide Light for Those Above. And they all shall die in the Darkness, for that is the Law. Toil for the benefit of others, the moral destiny of the warp drive-twisted monsters shambling through corridors lit only by LCARS displays and candles made from the rendered fat of the dead.

In a slightly more realistic interpretation, in hockey only the captains/alternate captains are allowed to discuss calls with the refs.

e: in a bit on-the-nose fashion, that's literally the only thing that differentiates them from the rest of the players

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Polaron posted:

Are those pylons even big enough to accommodate a turbolift?

Also I'd expect to see at least a couple of windows down there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The oberth class just flat out doesn't make a lot of sense.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/oberth-size.htm

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Okay so I think we've all got our own notions of what the hell is going on in the Oberth's underslung section (massive sensor arrays, deuterium tankage, automated meth lab) but does anyone have any sources on what the hell the actual designer thought was in there?

Nilo Rodis-Jamero sucks.

Plain and simple. ILM should never have been given the duty of designing Starfleet ships.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

I think that was one of David Gerrold's original story pitches before he came up with 'The Trouble With Tribbles'.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Despite not really "getting" DS9, that reached one of the same conclusions as this thread.

Whatever you think of this show, this episode has an amazing bit of them doing an impression of Kurn describing a contemporary piece of technology

The ST:TMP Klingon music over Kurn's mundane opinions was pretty funny too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I’m in season 7 of DS9. “Alamo” is just code for something, isn’t it?