Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
https://twitter.com/k5fuwa/status/1135528470467948546

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

you deserve to look the way you want to, zaku!!

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

feelin' cute, might colony drop later

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

so randomly clicking through the 8 billion robots and pilots on the gundam wiki i found this paragraph

quote:

Another infamous twist happened in Shin Super Robot Wars, where Master Asia revealed that he was actually an alien from the Dagu system that arrived on Earth in order to determine whether or not the life forms of the solar system were a threat, and that he treated the first human that he came in contact with, Char Aznable, as a representative of humanity. Therefore, Master Asia was led to believe that humans were unstable, destructive beings, which was why he manipulated Dr. Raizo Kasshu into creating the Devil Gundam in an attempt to destroy mankind.

i've been staring at it for like a day and it hasn't gotten less amazing

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Master Asia is poo poo there though. I mean...he takes Char as a representative of humanity and considers him the reason why they're evil, but then he goes and does that...

He's proven himself worse than humanity at that point! After all, Char may be unstable, destructive, a gigantic manchild, etc., etc., but at least he never betrayed anyone!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Master Asia is poo poo there though. I mean...he takes Char as a representative of humanity and considers him the reason why they're evil, but then he goes and does that...

He's proven himself worse than humanity at that point! After all, Char may be unstable, destructive, a gigantic manchild, etc., etc., but at least he never betrayed anyone!

It was the misfortune of his birth.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i wonder how char's 1000 betrayals played out in his brain

"as i bravely fired the bazooka directly at kycilia zabi's face to warn her about the Gundam, she took her own life in despair by not dodging it"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erwGXgl5H_c

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Yinlock posted:

i wonder how char's 1000 betrayals played out in his brain

"as i bravely fired the bazooka directly at kycilia zabi's face to warn her about the Gundam, she took her own life in despair by not dodging it"

It's not a betrayal if you're just deceiving them to get close enough that you can kill them, clearly.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yinlock posted:

so randomly clicking through the 8 billion robots and pilots on the gundam wiki i found this paragraph

i've been staring at it for like a day and it hasn't gotten less amazing

It gets better, since the latest SRW references it.

In the ending, Master Asia and the Devil Gundam go off into space to help the environments of other worlds, and Master Asia talks about how much he's looking forward to freaking people out that their savior... is an alien!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Reminder that Super Robot Wars X had about 25 stages that were comprised at least in part of scenes where people repeatedly dumped on Char. For context Super Robot Wars X is at most 56 stages long. The aforementioned period also includes a good number of stages after he joins you.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

It gets better, since the latest SRW references it.

In the ending, Master Asia and the Devil Gundam go off into space to help the environments of other worlds, and Master Asia talks about how much he's looking forward to freaking people out that their savior... is an alien!

I think in one game someone also mentions a universe where char made a deal with aliens

shin srw gets referenced a lot for how bad a game it is overall

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Omnicrom posted:

Reminder that Super Robot Wars X had about 25 stages that were comprised at least in part of scenes where people repeatedly dumped on Char. For context Super Robot Wars X is at most 56 stages long. The aforementioned period also includes a good number of stages after he joins you.

the gundam routes are mostly bellri/judau/seabook trying and failing to understand what the gently caress char is babbling about

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

Dunking on Char is good stuff.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
They've been beating the "CCA Char is a dumb idiot moron" drum so hard in the last couple of SRW games that I'm honestly kind of tired of it by now.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ImpAtom posted:

There are two separate conversations in X the first time Char meets someone who knows him face to face, one between Char and Amuro and the other between him and Camille. Both of them play out in roughly the same way:

"I see you changed your hair from when you were Quattro"
"Yeah I did."
"It doesn't look good on you."

That's also the game where Char starts bloviating and the only person who really seems to get what he's saying is Bellri, and Bellri basically tells him he's a myopic idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kanos posted:

They've been beating the "CCA Char is a dumb idiot moron" drum so hard in the last couple of SRW games that I'm honestly kind of tired of it by now.

if CCA is in the game then char deserves to be called a dumb idiot moron

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The really funny thing in T is

At least on the "go your own way" route, "Get everyone to dunk on me" is Char's actual plan. He wants to look like the BIGGEST rear end in a top hat, so everybody turns on the real badguys, and also leaves him the gently caress alone and stops asking him to be the leader of things.

He achieves...mixed success.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

The really funny thing in T is

At least on the "go your own way" route, "Get everyone to dunk on me" is Char's actual plan. He wants to look like the BIGGEST rear end in a top hat, so everybody turns on the real badguys, and also leaves him the gently caress alone and stops asking him to be the leader of things.

He achieves...mixed success.

it's like that way on the other routes too, though in the Haman route Haman hijacks the plan at the last second because gently caress you char

also tbf he says he was fully intending on selling everyone out if the T3 lost(though he figured they'd win)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

There's also all the nonsense Char pulls in Z3.1

Char does an Axis drop but actually his real plan is to do the CCA averting of the Axis drop because the massive Psychoframe light thing would help everyone escape from the Time Prison that the entire Earth has been put in. Also IIRC it turns out he never actually planned to drop Axis, just simulate its drop and the only reason it became a real danger was because Full Frontal is also around and hijacked it because in Z3 Full Frontal is a weird conglomerate avatar of all the lovely stuff Char Aznable ever did in any universe. Also the Antispirals attack.

The weird jankiness of Z3.1 and Char's role is also the reason why the Alpha Azieru has oddly been a unit you could get in the last few SRW games.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yinlock posted:

it's like that way on the other routes too, though in the Haman route Haman hijacks the plan at the last second because gently caress you char

also tbf he says he was fully intending on selling everyone out if the T3 lost(though he figured they'd win)

I remember him saying that he'd just have to kick the UND's rear end himself. Which he admits would be a much worse plan, but hey. He was counting on a T3 win anyway.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

I remember him saying that he'd just have to kick the UND's rear end himself. Which he admits would be a much worse plan, but hey. He was counting on a T3 win anyway.

either way, priority #1 is dodging responsibility

i guess if the world gets saved in the process that would be nice, but the responsibility dodging is more important

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Now I wish I had the time to play SRW games. Thanks thread.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Now I wish I had the time to play SRW games. Thanks thread.

if it helps, there's a number of screenshot LPs that might scratch the itch without as much of the time commitment

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

There's also all the nonsense Char pulls in Z3.1

Char does an Axis drop but actually his real plan is to do the CCA averting of the Axis drop because the massive Psychoframe light thing would help everyone escape from the Time Prison that the entire Earth has been put in. Also IIRC it turns out he never actually planned to drop Axis, just simulate its drop and the only reason it became a real danger was because Full Frontal is also around and hijacked it because in Z3 Full Frontal is a weird conglomerate avatar of all the lovely stuff Char Aznable ever did in any universe. Also the Antispirals attack.

The weird jankiness of Z3.1 and Char's role is also the reason why the Alpha Azieru has oddly been a unit you could get in the last few SRW games.
Then SRW D gives us probably the best and most hilarious version of the Axis drop:

So, in this game's backstory, a lot of stuff has played out like the canon shows (i.e., Four and Rosamia are dead, both Purus are dead, etc.) and of course, Char decides to drop Axis like in CCA. Only, he doesn't openly taunt Amuro by revealing his plans before dropping Axis. No, Char does the absolute smart thing and has Amuro (as well as Bright, for that matter) imprisoned so that he can drop Axis without anyone getting in his way. Unfortunately, the original villains of the game, called the Ruina, decided that they'd like to dunk on Char very early (remember, this is all backstory stuff, not in-game content). They use dimensional shenanigans to phase the Earth out of its location, causing Axis to drift harmlessly to the opposite side of Earth's orbit before placing the Earth back where it usually is. Sadly, we are denied Char having to face Amuro and Bright right after his careful planning blew up in his face, and Char's special guests doubling over in laughter at how big of a fool Char got made into by the Ruina. The best part is that the Ruina don't reveal they're the ones who screwed up the Axis drop until very late in the game, so for most of D's runtime, Char has had no idea who messed up his plans.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

AradoBalanga posted:

Then SRW D gives us probably the best and most hilarious version of the Axis drop:

So, in this game's backstory, a lot of stuff has played out like the canon shows (i.e., Four and Rosamia are dead, both Purus are dead, etc.) and of course, Char decides to drop Axis like in CCA. Only, he doesn't openly taunt Amuro by revealing his plans before dropping Axis. No, Char does the absolute smart thing and has Amuro (as well as Bright, for that matter) imprisoned so that he can drop Axis without anyone getting in his way. Unfortunately, the original villains of the game, called the Ruina, decided that they'd like to dunk on Char very early (remember, this is all backstory stuff, not in-game content). They use dimensional shenanigans to phase the Earth out of its location, causing Axis to drift harmlessly to the opposite side of Earth's orbit before placing the Earth back where it usually is. Sadly, we are denied Char having to face Amuro and Bright right after his careful planning blew up in his face, and Char's special guests doubling over in laughter at how big of a fool Char got made into by the Ruina. The best part is that the Ruina don't reveal they're the ones who screwed up the Axis drop until very late in the game, so for most of D's runtime, Char has had no idea who messed up his plans.

My understanding was that the Axis Drop Was fairly relevant for even allowing the Ruina to proceed with their plans.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I've been a new fan to srw and SD generation but I think I like the generation series more. Probably due to t the focus on gundam (I do know a few srw related series though), but what tends to draw people to srw more? I haven't played a ton of srw v (I think it was v) is there just more to it than most generation games?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Him going on a manchild rampage in CCA is canon, though? Consider his last words.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

I've been a new fan to srw and SD generation but I think I like the generation series more. Probably due to t the focus on gundam (I do know a few srw related series though), but what tends to draw people to srw more? I haven't played a ton of srw v (I think it was v) is there just more to it than most generation games?

generation isn't as willing to do wacky crossover stuff(and when it is it's not really good at it), hell they've even stopped doing fun what-if stuff too. it can get real grindy as well

plus super robots are cooler than gundams, except for super robots that are also gundams

e: basically if generations had more SUPER NEWTYPE KAI SHIDEN and less really dry retellings of the original series it would get more hype

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 8, 2019

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yinlock posted:

if CCA is in the game then char deserves to be called a dumb idiot moron

Darth Walrus posted:

Him going on a manchild rampage in CCA is canon, though? Consider his last words.

I'm not stating that CCA Char isn't a dumb idiot moron - he absolutely is one - but they've been leaning so hard on that writing point in the last few games that it's getting kind of samey and losing the amusing bite for me. SRW X and T both have like, multiple entire stages where virtually all of the dialogue is everyone in the cast just taking cracks at Char.

It's like eating ice cream at every meal, you know?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kanos posted:

I'm not stating that CCA Char isn't a dumb idiot moron - he absolutely is one - but they've been leaning so hard on that writing point in the last few games that it's getting kind of samey and losing the amusing bite for me. SRW X and T both have like, multiple entire stages where virtually all of the dialogue is everyone in the cast just taking cracks at Char.

It's like eating ice cream at every meal, you know?

T doesn't go that hard on Char, most of the leadup to the CCA finale is kamille and amuro waiting to see what char's actually up to before they yell at him for being an idiot

I mean yes they poo poo on him during said finale but he's, y'know, a boss there

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kingtheninja posted:

I've only played G Generations Genesis but that game feels really empty. There's no original story, you're just playing through Gundam shows/OVAs in whatever order you want while a bunch of your CCA suits with hilariously high stats just style on everything in the stage. Also the retelling is just a weird cliff notes version that adds literally nothing beyond unskippable cutscenes.

Also the attacks are boring as hell

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zore posted:

I've only played G Generations Genesis but that game feels really empty. There's no original story, you're just playing through Gundam shows/OVAs in whatever order you want while a bunch of your CCA suits with hilariously high stats just style on everything in the stage. Also the retelling is just a weird cliff notes version that adds literally nothing beyond unskippable cutscenes.

Also the attacks are boring as hell

They used to go pretty hard in on unique crossover campaigns or at the very least non-canon events that would break up the straight-faced retellings like Char showing up at Heliopolis in SEED or whatever, but they've gotten rid of basically all of that and it loving sucks.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

The one G Gen I played had the original character called Aphrodite or something who looked like a Mazinger Z villain, she rocked

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
The theme of the next ggen is crossing over AUs. I think genesis just had the unfortunate lack of oportunities, since it was the first HD game and UC only. Once they have the genesis and cross rays animations in the bank, I think they'll go back to world/overworld style hijinks.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I don’t remember anything especially noteworthy story wise in Overworld.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The last real attempts at doing a SRW-style G Gen were DS and Cross Drive. DS owned hard and Cross Drive kinda sucked sadly.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The last real attempts at doing a SRW-style G Gen were DS and Cross Drive. DS owned hard and Cross Drive kinda sucked sadly.

they couldn't have possibly given less of a poo poo animation-wise in those games though

it's somehow worse than early srw which was just cardboard cutouts launching ms paint effects at each-other

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kingtheninja posted:

I genuinely can't remember enjoying any SD Gundam G Gen game for long. I played the PSP ones and like...you can do some crazy stuff with pilot/robot combos, sure, but you rarely get any real acknowledgement of it (the only really fulfilling example I can think of is GOD GRAHAM FINGER which owns but also doesn't make up for the rest). And then the gameplay itself isn't great, the stages feel same-y, there's very little story or progression, if any, and the fact that any unit you get shot down is a unit you lose forever really sucks and can destroy my interest. And I say this as someone that enjoys Fire Emblem.

G Gen feels like something that could be much better if it focused on having a plot and using the characters it has in fun crossover ways but instead it's mostly a sandbox to create your Gundam fantasies but with no real framework to actually execute it.

Meanwhile SRW has actual plot, characterization, stakes involved, and actually uses its elements for fun crossovers, regardless of how it may fail at times. It has much less sandbox value, definitely much less than it should have (why the hell does the change pilot option exist when it's so drat limited!), but it more than makes up for it in feeling like a complete game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

AradoBalanga posted:

So, in this game's backstory, Char decides to drop Axis like in CCA. Only, he doesn't openly taunt Amuro by revealing his plans before dropping Axis.

He doesn't do that in the film either though. All he does is give out to Amuro about how Earthnoids are poo poo and take the planet for granted. He reveals his motives, not his plans. Which is why Amuro, Bright etc. don't know what he's up to for a good chunk of the film, instead trying to plead with Adaneur Paraya not to treat with Char because he's not trusthworthy and only realizing what Char is up to when they spot that the ships Neo Zeon is surrendering are probably dummy ships because there's no close up shots of the fleet and no visible weapons.

AradoBalanga posted:

No, Char does the absolute smart thing and has Amuro (as well as Bright, for that matter) imprisoned so that he can drop Axis without anyone getting in his way.

To be fair, it's not like he has the opportunity or authority to do that in the actual film.