Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Unless you're in a civilized society where "engineer" means you have licensing, standards, and personal liability for everything you produce.

Me? I'm a software janitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
At my current place, I'm a Software Archaeologist. I can't think of a better term, because the majority of my job when I'm not helping the newbies is to go on digs to the Ancient Ruins of That Feature That Was Added In 2005, and figure out what's going on and how to fix/add to it - and if I work with anything larger than a chisel and brush, I risk shattering the whole thing.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

What's the development equivalent of taking duplo blocks and building bridges with them?

Because that's what I do.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

What's the title for someone who writes code for a terrible codebase where the only solution product management gives enough time for is an equally terrible solution because they want everything done fast contributing to an exponentially increasing sense of self loathing as you see bad code and go "oh yeah that's me I did that"?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Junior Developer. Seniors know how to negotiate with PMs and establish authority on technical matters.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Vincent Valentine posted:

What's the title for someone who writes code for a terrible codebase where the only solution product management gives enough time for is an equally terrible solution because they want everything done fast contributing to an exponentially increasing sense of self loathing as you see bad code and go "oh yeah that's me I did that"?

sucker

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Vincent Valentine posted:

I think that from a project management standpoint, there are definitely some situations where lots of technical debt can be worth it overall.

On the other hand, as a developer, being forced to work in a way that makes you ashamed of your work is never worth it and is a great reason to change jobs

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

At my current place, I'm a Software Archaeologist. I can't think of a better term, because the majority of my job when I'm not helping the newbies is to go on digs to the Ancient Ruins of That Feature That Was Added In 2005, and figure out what's going on and how to fix/add to it - and if I work with anything larger than a chisel and brush, I risk shattering the whole thing.

And I'm triggered. But seriously I've had the opportunity to work on a few different codebases in parallel that last few months, and holy hell is it interesting to get that feeling of fear of doing development on code due to it being so brittle that every little change is a can of worms of fixes required to get it functioning and fix all the broken poo poo it touches.

edit: the real eye opener is when working on the different codebases and realizing the difference in confidence when implementing changes in them. The brittle garbage is a crapshoot; the stuff done correctly is smooth sailing.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

downout posted:

And I'm triggered. But seriously I've had the opportunity to work on a few different codebases in parallel that last few months, and holy hell is it interesting to get that feeling of fear of doing development on code due to it being so brittle that every little change is a can of worms of fixes required to get it functioning and fix all the broken poo poo it touches.

edit: the real eye opener is when working on the different codebases and realizing the difference in confidence when implementing changes in them. The brittle garbage is a crapshoot; the stuff done correctly is smooth sailing.

One piece of advice I always give interns is to look out for when a project is going to collapse under its own weight, and to request a transfer out before that happens. More than one has thanked me for this advice after profitably applying it.

User fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 8, 2019

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

rt4 posted:

Junior Developer. Seniors know how to negotiate with PMs and establish authority on technical matters.

Yeah. When I said I work with a brush and chisel, that's in contrast to the desires of product management, who would prefer if I just shot a new feature at the product out of a cannon. No matter how much and how insistently we communicate to them that there is a cost to taking shortcuts, they never seem to believe us, so now we give them estimates that include the effort it takes to put just like ONE layer of polish on a feature, do SOME regression testing for a bugfix.

They've started to adjust to that now, by which I mean they think we're sandbagging and so take our estimates and multiply by a fraction. Whatever. They'll keep bleeding experienced people until there's nobody left to fix things when they explode (again). I have zero confidence that they will ever take our expertise seriously.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Che Delilas posted:

Yeah. When I said I work with a brush and chisel, that's in contrast to the desires of product management, who would prefer if I just shot a new feature at the product out of a cannon. No matter how much and how insistently we communicate to them that there is a cost to taking shortcuts, they never seem to believe us, so now we give them estimates that include the effort it takes to put just like ONE layer of polish on a feature, do SOME regression testing for a bugfix.

They've started to adjust to that now, by which I mean they think we're sandbagging and so take our estimates and multiply by a fraction. Whatever. They'll keep bleeding experienced people until there's nobody left to fix things when they explode (again). I have zero confidence that they will ever take our expertise seriously.

Perhaps you should find a new job.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

huhu posted:

Perhaps you should find a new job.

Already did :yotj:

I'm not the only one who was seriously looking either; the people who've been there the longest are as tired of the nonsense as I am.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 8, 2019

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

RC Cola posted:

Okay I took some advice and was able to try to make a more simple portfolio. Its not done yet and I'm still having issues with the sticky header. I was just wondering for some more advice and tips so I can keep moving this in the right direction.

I was wondering about the section with my projects. Does that look okay with the image above linking to the hosted project and the text beneath linking to the code of the project? I've seen people a hover effect over the image that switches to descriptive text. Would that look better?

I'm all for brutal honesty, so hit me with all of it.

https://royal-crown-cola.github.io/Simple-Portfolio/

More brutal honesty incoming, but with pictures! I was going to make a mockup for you, but it was too much work so I did a couple things and then just drew all over it and noted the comments below with numbers. Also, this is all just my opinion, so if you agree or disagree I won't be offended or anything, but I think there are a lot of places this could be improved.

The design of this site is inconsistent. I like some stuff about this, like the colour on the top bar and your name in white. That looks quite nice on its own, but there are some things that need fixing. I've noted them in the image above.
(1)The Home Portfolio Resume to the right needs to be brought in the same amount from the right margin as your name is from the left margin, and I also (2) think it would look better white. Less colours, less clutter.

(3)Speaking of colours, I like that pink/purple you have at the top, but it doesn't go with the blue you've chosen at all. Also, there is WAY too much of the blue. Choose a nice neutral colour, like a light grey or white and maybe pop some blue in a couple of other spots, but right now the colours are clashing and overwhelming. If you want to find another colour that will go well with your top bar, just find a site that has an interactive colour wheel and play with it a bit. Put your colour in as the main one and it'll spit out some nice options for accents. Just choose one and use it, but use accents sparingly.

(4) There is a big weird white (blue) space in the center there, and your About Me and photo are all way off on their own. I would suggest combining your picture and the about me section into one or two columns to balance against your skills section. Like, bring your picture over more towards the center with the "About Me" title above it, and then have your description below your photo. This would eliminate the dead zone and balance out your skills section visually. All three elements are off in no-man's land and need to be brought into some kind of organizational cohesion.

(5) Maybe call this "Sample Applications" or something more professional sounding. Same comment for your "Technologies I work with". Also, titles should always Be Written With the First Letter of Every Important Word Capitalized.

(6) There is a lot of white space here, and it looks a bit off. I would bring these closer together, or possibly make them a bit larger.

(7) Those rounded edges look awful. They look like they're squished or something, and the space between the picture and the description looks off. If it were me I would most likely keep a small rounded edge on the top left and right of the image and then on the bottom left and right of the description, and then have them sandwiched completely together so that visually they look as though they are one continuous block. Right now they're visually separate, and the blue enhances this distance.

(8) This space at the bottom shouldn't be here. Again, it takes away from the visual cohesion.

(9) There's no black anywhere on this page except right here. Get rid of it. See if you can find those icons in white with a nice transparent background. Also, the LinkedIn logo is mostly black but has white edges. I think these icons are both supposed to be on a white background, which you don't have.

I think that's all I've got for now. I know this looks like I'm making GBS threads all over it, but I do think it's a decent start and I think you can bang it into shape now that you have some bones to work with.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I just have to chime in and say I love this thread, show interest in improvement and goons will help get you where you're going. With the harshest feedback of course.

A lot of the feedback you're getting is very specific to your given site. I'd suggest start/continue job applying once you get your site to a good stopping point, then go out and keep on learning and refining your site. You'll learn concepts that will allow you to understand why things should be done the way they are. Eventually the combination of learning, building, and applying will come together with a job.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Natron posted:

More brutal honesty incoming, but with pictures! I was going to make a mockup for you, but it was too much work so I did a couple things and then just drew all over it and noted the comments below with numbers. Also, this is all just my opinion, so if you agree or disagree I won't be offended or anything, but I think there are a lot of places this could be improved.

The design of this site is inconsistent. I like some stuff about this, like the colour on the top bar and your name in white. That looks quite nice on its own, but there are some things that need fixing. I've noted them in the image above.
(1)The Home Portfolio Resume to the right needs to be brought in the same amount from the right margin as your name is from the left margin, and I also (2) think it would look better white. Less colours, less clutter.

(3)Speaking of colours, I like that pink/purple you have at the top, but it doesn't go with the blue you've chosen at all. Also, there is WAY too much of the blue. Choose a nice neutral colour, like a light grey or white and maybe pop some blue in a couple of other spots, but right now the colours are clashing and overwhelming. If you want to find another colour that will go well with your top bar, just find a site that has an interactive colour wheel and play with it a bit. Put your colour in as the main one and it'll spit out some nice options for accents. Just choose one and use it, but use accents sparingly.

(4) There is a big weird white (blue) space in the center there, and your About Me and photo are all way off on their own. I would suggest combining your picture and the about me section into one or two columns to balance against your skills section. Like, bring your picture over more towards the center with the "About Me" title above it, and then have your description below your photo. This would eliminate the dead zone and balance out your skills section visually. All three elements are off in no-man's land and need to be brought into some kind of organizational cohesion.

(5) Maybe call this "Sample Applications" or something more professional sounding. Same comment for your "Technologies I work with". Also, titles should always Be Written With the First Letter of Every Important Word Capitalized.

(6) There is a lot of white space here, and it looks a bit off. I would bring these closer together, or possibly make them a bit larger.

(7) Those rounded edges look awful. They look like they're squished or something, and the space between the picture and the description looks off. If it were me I would most likely keep a small rounded edge on the top left and right of the image and then on the bottom left and right of the description, and then have them sandwiched completely together so that visually they look as though they are one continuous block. Right now they're visually separate, and the blue enhances this distance.

(8) This space at the bottom shouldn't be here. Again, it takes away from the visual cohesion.

(9) There's no black anywhere on this page except right here. Get rid of it. See if you can find those icons in white with a nice transparent background. Also, the LinkedIn logo is mostly black but has white edges. I think these icons are both supposed to be on a white background, which you don't have.

I think that's all I've got for now. I know this looks like I'm making GBS threads all over it, but I do think it's a decent start and I think you can bang it into shape now that you have some bones to work with.

This is all solid advice and reminds me that Edward Tufte's work really should be part of the standard curriculum. I know people get kind of culty about him, but he's come closer than anyone else to actually formulating a coherent theory of data presentation.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Natron posted:

I want to thank you for this. I ask for advice because I need it. I'll post again sometime this weekend to let ya'll know when I've updated it again.

Edit: I did some minor changes to address some of your points. Let me know what you think. Color schemes is easily my weakest point so it might take me a bit to update it.

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 8, 2019

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

RC Cola posted:

I want to thank you for this. I ask for advice because I need it. I'll post again sometime this weekend to let ya'll know when I've updated it again.

Edit: I did some minor changes to address some of your points. Let me know what you think. Color schemes is easily my weakest point so it might take me a bit to update it.

No problem. This thread helped me get a job, so I feel like I should pop in every now and again and see if I can give some advice where I can. Then when you get a job, you can do the same and we'll keep turning Newbies into vets!

I like the top bar in the new site much better already. Looks good. The big gap between your about me and your skills section still looks off, but I know you're still working on it, so I'll save any further criticism for now because I know it's all subject to change and I've already laid out some stuff already. Have a bit of fun with it and share it again when you're ready. I'm not in this thread every day, but I'll keep checking in every now and again.

I think that being in this thread and asking for (and taking) advice is a big deal and a good sign. One of the things that has really become apparent in my new job (which this thread helped me get) is that it's very important for you to know when to ask for help. You can't just ask about every little thing, but being able to recognize when you're spinning your wheels and just asking someone who might know can save you hours of frustration.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

RC Cola posted:

You could try the Adobe Color Wheel to get some colors that work together.

https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel/

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
https://colorsupplyyy.com/app is another tool along the same lines.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I use this: https://coolors.co/app

Just keep pressing Space on your keyboard until you have colors you like.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I would also recommend using Chrome dev tools and running your site through an accessibility audit. This will give you some more info about why your color palette is a problem for color-blind folks. For example, the white links in the header against the purple background doesn't meet either a AA or AAA grade when it comes to contrast ratio:

https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/accessibility/accessible-styles#color_and_contrast

This is something I actually learned pretty recently and is a pretty easy accessibility win if you pick a palette with a nice contrast ratio. I recommend making your site mostly one shade of white with an accent color for things like the header, links, footer, etc. You'll see the contrast ratio for your header links is 4.41 in the inspector:

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 10, 2019

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Grump posted:

I would also recommend using Chrome dev tools and running your site through an accessibility audit. This will give you some more info about why your color palette is a problem for color-blind folks. For example, the white links in the header against the purple background doesn't meet either a AA or AAA grade when it comes to contrast ratio:

https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/accessibility/accessible-styles#color_and_contrast

This is something I actually learned pretty recently and is a pretty easy accessibility win if you pick a palette with a nice contrast ratio. I recommend making your site mostly one shade of white with an accent color for things like the header, links, footer, etc. You'll see the contrast ratio for your header links is 4.41 in the inspector:

I will go back and mess with it some more, but I just updated some stuff maybe 10 minutes ago. Hopefully the formatting is a little better now.
Would black instead of white in the header better?
I am awful with colors and appreciate the feedback. It's definitely a skill that I am working on.

Edit: I use inspector tools for mobile responsiveness alot and am excited about contrast ratio stuff

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 10, 2019

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Okay I think I have more of a handle on more goofy ways of doing things recursively. I just happened to take on a problem that was just ridiculous and had despaired. I still want to figure it out. There was a HackerRank problem that was messing me up. I can't even get a handle on a basic subset of the problem.

The subset is something like: Imagine you have a sorting algorithm that works on a list of lists. It grabs the next element from each list, bags them together, sorts the bag, and then adds them on to its sorted output. This is actually an incorrect algorithm because the subsequent grabs might pull some stuff that should have actually gone earlier in the sorted output. The question is how many different permutations of the original lists are possible given a certain output?

So if you had [1, 2, 3, 4] as "sorted" output, you could have (commas omitted from output here):
code:
[1][2][3][4]
[14][2][3]
[1][24][3]
[1][2][34]
[1][234]
[134][2]
[13][24]
[14][23]
[1234]
...for a total of 9 different unique combinations.

Some other notes:
1. Something like [12][34] would not be legal because the sorted output would actually be [1, 3, 2, 4].
2. I'm just looking at combinations given sorted order for now. As far as I can tell, if the sequence fucks up some ways down, it pretty much throws everything afterwards off.
3. It's looking at unique combinations so things like [2][3][1][4][5] aren't considered.
4. Technically I only need the count but I was trying to actually collect all the combinations to show I had it under control.
5. It smells like something like a power series at play. For sorted lists of length 1 -> 5, I think I evaluated 1, 2, 4, 9, 25 combinations.

Some observations from banging on this:
1. I see I can kind of split it up into groups.
2. Each group has to start with the next lowest available number.
3. I can start to smell some recursion here in taking what is left after creating the initial groups and trying to permute it between them, but I keep screwing that up.

So I thought I'd see if anybody can think of anything. If not, I guess coins on a clock is now a thing so I'll be playing with that instead.

rt4 posted:

The book The Little Schemer fixed my understanding of recursion without much pain
I'd dive into this the clock wasn't ticking, but I bought it anyways. I did a little bit with Scheme in school but it was only a fraction of the course and didn't really touch major functional programming since. It sounds like if I want to be hip with current interviewing trends that I'll just have to shoehorn recursion into my day-to-day work a bit more.

Fun story: something like five years later, my wife wanted a plugin in The Gimp to perform some fairly standard operations in a macro fashion, and it was using Scheme at the time. I hadn't touched it in, well, five years, but I went from installing an interpreter, reading the API, and getting a script going for her in an hour. At the end she was like, "No offense, Rocko, but for how much you boast about programming, wouldn't you have done it faster?"

My wife is now a product owner.
(just kidding).

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Fun story: something like five years later, my wife wanted a plugin in The Gimp to perform some fairly standard operations in a macro fashion, and it was using Scheme at the time. I hadn't touched it in, well, five years, but I went from installing an interpreter, reading the API, and getting a script going for her in an hour. At the end she was like, "No offense, Rocko, but for how much you boast about programming, wouldn't you have done it faster?"

My wife is now a product owner.
(just kidding).

Had that experience the first time back in school when my friend asked me to make him a program to sort his few gigabytes of mp3s into folders based on tags and filenames, with a basic GUI for setting up rules on how to do it. Since I liked programming and stuff. Spent practically the whole weekend coding it up in early Java only to be told on Monday he's already done it manually and getting gently mocked for it.

Ever since then it takes a fair bit of convincing for me to program something for someone and I always mention it will take a while to do.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Private Speech posted:

Had that experience the first time back in school when my friend asked me to make him a program to sort his few gigabytes of mp3s into folders based on tags and filenames, with a basic GUI for setting up rules on how to do it. Since I liked programming and stuff. Spent practically the whole weekend coding it up in early Java only to be told on Monday he's already done it manually and getting gently mocked for it.

Ever since then it takes a fair bit of convincing for me to program something for someone and I always mention it will take a while to do.
I feel your pain. How impressed was he when you spent another day to implement the autoreporting to the RIAA?

I think the following cynicism is better in agilefall or the oldie thread, but:

So how often have people asked you for stuff as if you are some unimaginative coding golem that could lift the universe if only... if only you had the vision! Like, what if you made Facebook, but better?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

The only thing anyone has asked me to build was a to-do app that "wasn't poo poo"

I couldn't believe the irony.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Okay I think I have more of a handle on more goofy ways of doing things recursively. I just happened to take on a problem that was just ridiculous and had despaired. I still want to figure it out. There was a HackerRank problem that was messing me up. I can't even get a handle on a basic subset of the problem.

The subset is something like: Imagine you have a sorting algorithm that works on a list of lists. It grabs the next element from each list, bags them together, sorts the bag, and then adds them on to its sorted output. This is actually an incorrect algorithm because the subsequent grabs might pull some stuff that should have actually gone earlier in the sorted output. The question is how many different permutations of the original lists are possible given a certain output?

So if you had [1, 2, 3, 4] as "sorted" output, you could have (commas omitted from output here):
code:
[1][2][3][4]
[14][2][3]
[1][24][3]
[1][2][34]
[1][234]
[134][2]
[13][24]
[14][23]
[1234]
...for a total of 9 different unique combinations.

Some other notes:
1. Something like [12][34] would not be legal because the sorted output would actually be [1, 3, 2, 4].
2. I'm just looking at combinations given sorted order for now. As far as I can tell, if the sequence fucks up some ways down, it pretty much throws everything afterwards off.
3. It's looking at unique combinations so things like [2][3][1][4][5] aren't considered.
4. Technically I only need the count but I was trying to actually collect all the combinations to show I had it under control.
5. It smells like something like a power series at play. For sorted lists of length 1 -> 5, I think I evaluated 1, 2, 4, 9, 25 combinations.

Some observations from banging on this:
1. I see I can kind of split it up into groups.
2. Each group has to start with the next lowest available number.
3. I can start to smell some recursion here in taking what is left after creating the initial groups and trying to permute it between them, but I keep screwing that up.

So I thought I'd see if anybody can think of anything. If not, I guess coins on a clock is now a thing so I'll be playing with that instead.

I don't really have the time to dig into this, but at first glance this looks like a backtracking problem to me. First formalize the constraints of the solution space and then search it with a backtracking algorithm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backtracking

edit: Regarding your note 4 they may be looking for you to be clever and come up with a closed form solution. I agree though that finding the actual members of the solution set is more fun.

User fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 11, 2019

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

User posted:

I don't really have the time to dig into this, but at first glance this looks like a backtracking problem to me. First formalize the constraints of the solution space and then search it with a backtracking algorithm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backtracking

edit: Regarding your note 4 they may be looking for you to be clever and come up with a closed form solution. I agree though that finding the actual members of the solution set is more fun.

For what it's worth, it was in the dynamic programming category, so I am assuming there are common subproblems with nontrivial initial calculation costs that I can reuse. Assuming I just need the counts, there's problem some pattern.

I might go back and try something with backtracking and just throw out the invalid combinations. It's true I've been focusing on having each subdivision produce a valid, unique result. If instead I just permute out a cannon and just throw out the stuff that's wrong, I would technically have a simpler algorithm...

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Would love some resume feedback if anyone feels like taking a look: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HogbaKr_mIK7okMuTnbu0BajyC6I4y0a. I didn't anonymize anything because I have been spamming this out to random job openings and all the info can be found via Google :cool:

Goal is to get a remote job doing iOS dev so sprucing it up to optimize for that I guess is what I'm trying to do.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

awesomeolion posted:

Would love some resume feedback if anyone feels like taking a look: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HogbaKr_mIK7okMuTnbu0BajyC6I4y0a. I didn't anonymize anything because I have been spamming this out to random job openings and all the info can be found via Google :cool:

Goal is to get a remote job doing iOS dev so sprucing it up to optimize for that I guess is what I'm trying to do.

I'd still strongly recommend redacting your personal information. Don't you remember Helldump?

[edit]
Some quick feedback:
- Fix your tenses. Past tense for everything.
- Everything is far too vague and contains no interesting details about what you did or how you did it or what benefits it had. You just list a bunch of technology keywords next to the company name. You were a freelance developer and used Wordpress, PHP, and MySQL. What did you do with Wordpress? What did you do with PHP? Did you design your own schema for MySQL databases? Did you do performance tuning? Talk about everything in terms of what you did, how you did it and what benefits it had to the company and/or customer

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 16, 2019

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Move education to the bottom. Remove the word "Developer"from the header. Change Key Skills to a place to list technologies (it should have hard skills, not soft skills), and if you're bilingual, list it there. Add locations (city, state) next to the company names. Add contact information somewhere, maybe in the header.

BTW, I love the achievements section.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Random bits
- Remove "Developer from the first line
- Where's your contact information... why are you not including it? You should include it and anonymize it.
- What is "Spec. Hons." you've got more than enough space to spell out whatever that means
- You need a bit more visual separation. Try adding bold, or horizontal lines or something
- "Consistently shipping features used by thousands of users" as compared to non consistently doing your job?
- Every bullet point reads like a job description - what did you actually do? What did you achieve? Get concrete numbers and examples.
- Your whole resume reads like you opened a thesaurus and did a replace on lots of random words
- Don't have single word bullet points - I'm looking at TDD and accesibility
- "Over $5,000..." weird way to quantify your work
- "Paid Web Development Intern" remove paid
- Key Skills - Delete this whole section - show that you can do these things through project examples.
- put your portfolio and a link to your github up top.

Will review again when you resubmit.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Thank you for your feedback New Yorp New Yorp, lifg, and huhu. I am very glad I posted it here before continuing to send it out more... I agree with almost all of your points and can see why those areas you all pointed out are lacking. I will revise and repost this week. Thanks!!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well, I did an Amazon online coding interview yesterday. It was it's own little HackerRank kind of thing. There were two problems that I am not supposed to share. All I will say is that I was surprised that they were simpler ones than I have seen before. Two years ago, I got hit with permuting all the ways to sum a number and got stuck. I feel like I could have done similarly as well (or poorly) without the past month of dynamic programming cram poo poo against the problems I was given.

Regarding "or poorly," I nailed the second question in all of 15 minutes on the first try, but I had to close out the first one with only 23 of 25 tests passing. The site only shows you two like HackerRank so you have to guess towards the others. I assumed it was corner cases and tried all kinds of crap that made no difference.

From what I recall, I had to make sure the two published cases pass or it would just autofail me. I will be pretty pissed if I get turned down for only getting 23 of 25 unpublished test cases to pass. If it were an in-person thing, I could ask questions about the inputs and get clarification. With this way, I was working with a Skinner Box.

There was also a personality test and I am pretty sure I am not Bezos material from that.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Not showing the test cases for a problem that someone is going to presumably review seems bizarre. I can understand it on HackRank to prevent just returning the result but that doesn't seem applicable here.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

asur posted:

Not showing the test cases for a problem that someone is going to presumably review seems bizarre. I can understand it on HackRank to prevent just returning the result but that doesn't seem applicable here.

Yeah, I wouldn't fuss so much over not being able to qualify the inputs with the reviewer if I could skim all the cases and infer everything from that.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Well, I did an Amazon online coding interview yesterday. It was it's own little HackerRank kind of thing. There were two problems that I am not supposed to share. All I will say is that I was surprised that they were simpler ones than I have seen before. Two years ago, I got hit with permuting all the ways to sum a number and got stuck. I feel like I could have done similarly as well (or poorly) without the past month of dynamic programming cram poo poo against the problems I was given.

Regarding "or poorly," I nailed the second question in all of 15 minutes on the first try, but I had to close out the first one with only 23 of 25 tests passing. The site only shows you two like HackerRank so you have to guess towards the others. I assumed it was corner cases and tried all kinds of crap that made no difference.

For those interested, here is a video, from the HackerRank Interview Tips section by the author of Cracking the Coding Interview, saying that companies using HackerRank-style coding tests (strict time limits, must compile, no discussion with the interviewer) to evaluate candidates are "probably doing something wrong." The first time I watched that video I couldn't stop laughing because I'm not sure she knows what HackerRank does if she is putting up a video saying that.

Edit: Does anyone know how to turn off autocomplete on HackerRank? I've tried all the buttons in the coding section and none seems to do that. I'm going to have a seizure from the amount of useless crap that gets sprayed on my screen while I'm typing. Not to mention every statement ends with *furiously pounds escape 4-5 times* to prevent it over writing what I've written with even more useless crap.

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 18, 2019

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Some of the codility tests have requirements that aren't obvious without a very careful reading of the text, and the test cases they provide don't cover them at all. You also can't see results of the unpublished tests, only the results of ones you add manually. Seems super dumb.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

MickeyFinn posted:

Edit: Does anyone know how to turn off autocomplete on HackerRank? I've tried all the buttons in the coding section and none seems to do that. I'm going to have a seizure from the amount of useless crap that gets sprayed on my screen while I'm typing. Not to mention every statement ends with *furiously pounds escape 4-5 times* to prevent it over writing what I've written with even more useless crap.

I use my own environment to do the work and copy/paste what I need into the site's UI when I'm ready to run the tests, and not a minute before. Whiteboarding is bad enough, gently caress using a UI that you aren't intimately familiar with and haven't configured to your exact needs when the problem requires compilation and passing tests under a strict time limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

pointsofdata posted:

Some of the codility tests have requirements that aren't obvious without a very careful reading of the text, and the test cases they provide don't cover them at all. You also can't see results of the unpublished tests, only the results of ones you add manually. Seems super dumb.

Presumably they want to know if you've thought of all the edge cases (and therefore tests) that they did. The logic is understandable; edge cases almost always take more effort to get right than the happy paths in a real world coding environment. I would hope most companies hiring junior people would treat such tests as more granular than "100%=pass, <100%=fail."