Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Legasov and Shcherbina weren't even at the trial but this woman! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

KGB archives are not going to be fully released in like 50 years, especially the ones in Moscow; but the Ukranian archives get declassified from time, and recently a new batch was published in a book.

Choice cuts https://www.currenttime.tv/a/kgb-archives-chernobyl-not-great-not-terrible/29985148.html (in Russian):

- In order to curb panic, first days after the explosion and the first rumours going out, there was an effort to keep foreign tourists in Kiev, including a group of 31 Americans, who hastily tried to buy airplane tickets but were discouraged by overseeing officer and taken for a pleasant bus trip around Kiev;
- Whataboutist talking points, like "Three Mile Island and Windscale fire were way worse!" and "It was just a human factor at fault!" were explicitly encouraged by KGB for use in press in "handbooks";
- A number of undercover KGB agents in Kiev were tasked to give interviews to foreign journalists as simple soviet citizens to create a positive outlook and not let rumours get out;
- French journalist from L'Humanite (a communist newspaper no less) managed to score soil and water samples from Pripyat, but brave KGB operatives have replaced them with "proper" ones during the search;
- Surprisingly for 80s Soviet Union, liqudators were pretty happy with the quality of food they were provided in the zone. The reason? Managers and cooks cant profitably skim and steal food to resell in there nor send it outside because radiation;
- Nevertheless, coruption flew in anyway, with the managerial/bureacratic bloat after the most dangerous work was done - even simple clerks in Chernobyl got significant bonuses to their wage. And of course the army started to sell liqudator documents for those who hoped to get future benefits (whoops);
- Brykhanov, Fomin and Dyatlov all had undercover agents placed with them in their cells before trial, aiming to get information and to nudge them to stay on topic during the trial and not have any ~ideas~
- Even KGB drafting the reports was shocked with the way soviet press was overly optimistic in regards to the liqudation efforts: portraying happy smiling komsomol members shoveling sand into the burning reactor, insisting that the river in Chernobyl is safe to swim into, predicting that the city will be ok to get back in a few months etc

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Would absolutely love it if we could have a mod probate anyone still going on about Khomyuk. It's a pity the creator hadn't enough money to shoot all of her scenes twice, except the second shot would be a group of about 30 identical looking old men all shuffling around and muttering her lines at random, just to show how loving absurd that would be in a dramatic show. Or even better, just replace her in every scene with a different random man each time who we are never introduced to or have any context towards. Super!

All this, and when the show takes other liberties (and IMO every single one of them is justified given the result), like the fact that Scherbina and Legasov were not even at the trial, and no one bats an eyelid.

This is the highest rated show of all time, but a few goons think they could have done it better.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

fatherboxx posted:

And of course the army started to sell liqudator documents for those who hoped to get future benefits (whoops);

That's a dick move if there ever was one. I bet these also help to skew the official figures on the number of liquidators who died in the years after if they look at how many of them are still paid.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

Reminds me of the first Alien movie. Supposedly no one was told there’d be a chestburst scene so when it happened the surprise, shock and horror in everyone’s eyes was real.

The actors kinda knew what was going to happen. but they didn't know how intense the scene were or how much blood there would be going to be.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

In the context of the dramatization, Scherbina is a great character because he has a redemption arc after the "ought to throw you out of this helicopter" scenes, and pretty much everybody likes a good redemption arc.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
Cool show, but I mostly enjoyed the scientific stuff about reactors and the scary radiation parts. Much of the political poo poo seemed really dumb to me. Now I don't know nothing about life in soviet, but it all seemed so oversimplified. Legasovs courtroom speech whenever he wasn't talking about scientific was silly.. Who thinks people living in this system is able to critique it like this? It sounds more like something an american would come up with 30 years later. Lies are bad! We lie too much here in Soviet! That's our problem, it just is that simple! ANd it is time to make a stand, here and now!!

It was REALLY perfect and realistic that Khomyuk was first arrested by the KGB then sitting in meetings with Gorbachev right after, and telling a story in court. I imagine this is exactly how Soviet was and it made me like the show a lot.I love pussy

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

fatherboxx posted:

KGB archives are not going to be fully released in like 50 years, especially the ones in Moscow; but the Ukranian archives get declassified from time, and recently a new batch was published in a book.

Choice cuts https://www.currenttime.tv/a/kgb-archives-chernobyl-not-great-not-terrible/29985148.html (in Russian):

- In order to curb panic, first days after the explosion and the first rumours going out, there was an effort to keep foreign tourists in Kiev, including a group of 31 Americans, who hastily tried to buy airplane tickets but were discouraged by overseeing officer and taken for a pleasant bus trip around Kiev;
- Whataboutist talking points, like "Three Mile Island and Windscale fire were way worse!" and "It was just a human factor at fault!" were explicitly encouraged by KGB for use in press in "handbooks";
- A number of undercover KGB agents in Kiev were tasked to give interviews to foreign journalists as simple soviet citizens to create a positive outlook and not let rumours get out;
- French journalist from L'Humanite (a communist newspaper no less) managed to score soil and water samples from Pripyat, but brave KGB operatives have replaced them with "proper" ones during the search;
- Surprisingly for 80s Soviet Union, liqudators were pretty happy with the quality of food they were provided in the zone. The reason? Managers and cooks cant profitably skim and steal food to resell in there nor send it outside because radiation;
- Nevertheless, coruption flew in anyway, with the managerial/bureacratic bloat after the most dangerous work was done - even simple clerks in Chernobyl got significant bonuses to their wage. And of course the army started to sell liqudator documents for those who hoped to get future benefits (whoops);
- Brykhanov, Fomin and Dyatlov all had undercover agents placed with them in their cells before trial, aiming to get information and to nudge them to stay on topic during the trial and not have any ~ideas~
- Even KGB drafting the reports was shocked with the way soviet press was overly optimistic in regards to the liqudation efforts: portraying happy smiling komsomol members shoveling sand into the burning reactor, insisting that the river in Chernobyl is safe to swim into, predicting that the city will be ok to get back in a few months etc

One of my favourite things about Windscale are the former chimney stacks, and the protruding filters on top.

John Cockroft, who actually got the Nobel Prize for splitting the atom, insisted that the filters be installed at great expense of money and aesthetics.

They were widely believed to be useless and were disparaged as “Cockroft’s follies”.

And then one of the cores caught fire…

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Xanderkish posted:

I think the Khomyuk situation could have been improved if we kept every Khomyuk scene, except in Legasov's last conversation with Scherbina he brings up something Khomyuk said and then Scherbina looks at him weird and goes "Legasov...who's Khomyuk?"

And then we flash back to every scene of Legasov talking with Khomyuk, only Khomyuk is now replaced with a hundred shouting scientists arguing with each other in the same space.

This includes the trial scene, where these hundred scientists are all piled on top of a single chair, still arguing with each other as their bodies press into each other like a cheer pyramid gone wrong.

Legasov's dialogue remains unchanged.

We have front row seats for this theater of Mass Destruction. The Nuclear Committee of Soviet Russia put graphite at the end of their control rods instead of boron to save money. At 1:23 and 40 seconds, Akimov engages AZ-5 and Reactor Four will be reduced to smoldering rubble. I know this because Khomyuk knows this.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lonter posted:

I love pussy

I mean, same, but is that really relevant to the discussion at hand tho?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

*Kubica causes a traffic jam at the Rascasse*

YOU DIDN’T SEE A BLUE FLAG BECAUSE IT’S NOT THERE.

(In reality, Williams are more like 15,000 seconds behind Mercedes these days…)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

lonter posted:

Cool show, but I mostly enjoyed the scientific stuff about reactors and the scary radiation parts. Much of the political poo poo seemed really dumb to me. Now I don't know nothing about life in soviet, but it all seemed so oversimplified. Legasovs courtroom speech whenever he wasn't talking about scientific was silly.. Who thinks people living in this system is able to critique it like this? It sounds more like something an american would come up with 30 years later. Lies are bad! We lie too much here in Soviet! That's our problem, it just is that simple! ANd it is time to make a stand, here and now!!

It was REALLY perfect and realistic that Khomyuk was first arrested by the KGB then sitting in meetings with Gorbachev right after, and telling a story in court. I imagine this is exactly how Soviet was and it made me like the show a lot.I love pussy

Why are you calling the USSR "Soviet"?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

esperterra posted:

I mean, same, but is that really relevant to the discussion at hand tho?

Had to go read his post to get the full context, and.. hm. That's a way to finish a sentence for sure!

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

TinTower posted:

*Kubica causes a traffic jam at the Rascasse*

YOU DIDN’T SEE A BLUE FLAG BECAUSE IT’S NOT THERE.

(In reality, Williams are more like 15,000 seconds behind Mercedes these days…)

Better send them some robots to help but can only work 2,000 seconds behind

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Why are you calling the USSR "Soviet"?

you have acute radiation poisoning in your brain, my friend comrade

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I live in the great country of States

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Love to be from State

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hello my friends I am from The

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
This is a great format, but I don't think I get what that one is trying to say. Is it causing a laziness meltdown?

VVVVVV: I'm still in the weeds here but I'm going to accept that I am now the old and not ask for the joke to be further explained.

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 7, 2019

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ZorajitZorajit posted:

This is a great format, but I don't think I get what that one is trying to say. Is it causing a laziness meltdown?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQGwrK_yDEg

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

ZorajitZorajit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQGwrK_yDEg

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The blue side is supposed to prevent the red side from blowing up, so that reference does not seem like a particularly good use of that format.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

The blue side is supposed to prevent the red side from blowing up, so that reference does not seem like a particularly good use of that format.

what is the cost of lies

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

CainFortea posted:

what is the cost of lies

But Legasov's not lying. Shouldn't it be Moe's bit over top of Dyatlov's "I was in the toilet" then?

Y'know what, I'll just roll with it. Nothing's worse that trying to explain a joke.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I wouldn't think a bit where someone is getting caught at lying a whole bunch is somehow a funny fit to a show where a whole bunch of people got caught lying a whole bunch but then again we have people literally only complaining about a female scientist so I guess it's not that outlandish.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Did you guys ever notice that whenever Khomyuk speaks, Dyatlov is silently moving his lips.

Wake up, овца.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

:chloe:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y-I5BbjwNI

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The lady just sent me a thing she found at the mall:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

invigorating spicy rocks

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I told her not to worry, because 3.6 ain’t good, but it’s not bad, either.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Gonz posted:

I told her not to worry, because 3.6 ain’t good, but it’s not bad, either.

you don't smell graphite on my neck because it's not there

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Also doubles as an excellent blush.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

kaesarsosei posted:

This is the highest rated show of all time, but a few goons think they could have done it better.

Also the goons who wanted the whole cast to speak in the Boris russian accent instead of letting them use their natural accent.

etalian fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 7, 2019

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I love how one or two slight criticisms over 54 pages have snowballed into the perfidious goon archetype in your imagination.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Please comrades, we are all comrades here, comrades. No fighting, comrades

Unless you want a bullet, comrade

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I feel like one thing that made this show unique is how it was a lot more upfront about being a dramatic retelling, and wasn't trying to convey total accuracy in everything. Obviously, the accents were one thing, as was Khomyut being identified in the epilogue as being a fictional representation of a bunch of scientists. But then you also had the Chernobyl podcast, where the creator makes it clear what was and wasn't accurate in the show, as well as frankly discussing the fictionalizations on social media.

I feel like that ties into the show's emphasis on the cost of lies, but it also reassured audiences that it was taking itself seriously as a dramatization, and also made people more interested and invested in the parts that were real.

It's like post-postmodern, where instead of being about how all narratives are lies and we can never know the truth, it's explicitly going "We're going to use some dramatic license to better convey the truth, and make sure you know about what the dramatic license is and what isn't, so you can better understand what this is all about."

That feels pretty refreshing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011

Dudes last name will never not be hilariously appropo