Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Getsuya posted:

If I asked for an RPG with really rewarding exploration, like a huge world chalk full of places to go and stuff to find in those places, but then said it couldn’t be:
1. On the Switch, Wii or Wii U
2. A Bethesda game
3. A Witcher game
4. A Souls game (Bloodborn counts)
5. A DnD based game
6. RTwP
7. Amalur
8. Dragons Dogma

... would there be anything left? I’m excluding all these things because I’ve played them all or don’t want to play them or they are too much trouble to play.

Avernum: Escape from the pit.

Or Wizardry: LOLS of/when the PC distribution issue gets sorted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Getsuya posted:

If I asked for an RPG with really rewarding exploration, like a huge world chalk full of places to go and stuff to find in those places, but then said it couldn’t be:
1. On the Switch, Wii or Wii U
2. A Bethesda game
3. A Witcher game
4. A Souls game (Bloodborn counts)
5. A DnD based game
6. RTwP
7. Amalur
8. Dragons Dogma

... would there be anything left? I’m excluding all these things because I’ve played them all or don’t want to play them or they are too much trouble to play.

Ultima 6 or 7 or 7.2, I'm assuming you own Skyrim, so maybe the Enderal mod for it or its Oblivion prequel Nehrim, the Gothic series.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

double nine posted:

doesn't seem right, skeletons just up and leaving their bodies. What, they had a fight? A good partnership requires mutual support in times of hardship.

the skeleton is the body

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Supposedly Tales of Arise got leaked ahead of e3.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

huh, that looks really different, like tales of xenoblade

if they're hoping to change up the series, then for the love of god i hope they finally try a different composer

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i have mixed feelings

if it's legit then it kinda looks like they're trying at making an open world tales game again. which uhhh. not something i ever really wanted, from tales?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
that's a hell of an engine upgrade

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

TurnipFritter posted:

Tales of Arse.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I dunno, that reminds me a fair amount of some of the more open areas in Berseria/Zesteria. Ditching the overworld map in exchange for something more FF12-ish would be cool

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

show me the beat-em-up combat and a party and i'm happy. these leaked screens just make it look like they made fantasy code vein or something without that context. i wouldn't even believe it was tales if the enemy wasn't a boar

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Tales of Woe posted:

show me the beat-em-up combat and a party and i'm happy. these leaked screens just make it look like they made fantasy code vein or something without that context. i wouldn't even believe it was tales if the enemy wasn't a boar

When the heck is Code Vein coming out? Having to wait for years and years for games to come out is one of the reasons I stopped following "gaming news," but I swear that game has looked like it was coming out pretty soon since like 2016

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

When the heck is Code Vein coming out? Having to wait for years and years for games to come out is one of the reasons I stopped following "gaming news," but I swear that game has looked like it was coming out pretty soon since like 2016

probably this summer/fall, they just ran a beta test last weekend. it had a release date last year but was delayed indefinitely.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Nobody knows. There was a beta thing a few weeks ago that I've heard good things about so it's not vaporware.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

If they made Tales of Gothic eurojank RPG I'd be down.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Tae posted:

that's a hell of an engine upgrade

i guess you could say it's unreal

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/1137132042863251457

We removed the translator's name from the game credits after she was brought on for CS III. Let's see if anyone notices.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What the Christ kind of policy is that? Besides petty, obviously.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
apparently hatsuu's name is still in the credits for fate/extella link even though that game released like a week from cold steel on ps4. so uh. what the gently caress

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

al-azad posted:

If they made Tales of Gothic eurojank RPG I'd be down.

Dang, thought I was done with the franchise but if it seriously became something like that I'd have no choice but to dip back in haha.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
personally i think tales becoming an open world rpg with tons of complicated mechanics would be the dullest possible direction for a series that i like best when it's, not that

not to say that's definitely what arise is because, well, there are no real solid details on it

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I dunno, patching her name out of the credits makes me wonder what the gently caress happened between her and XSEED, because that's a move beyond company policy and into pettiness

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Credits are like the first thing budgeted and space is at a premium. Where do you expect them to squeeze in all the names of freelancers and contractors???

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I dunno, patching her name out of the credits makes me wonder what the gently caress happened between her and XSEED, because that's a move beyond company policy and into pettiness

i don't think, any serious drama happened, based on the fact that she's tweeted in the past about meeting with individual people from the company on pretty good terms.

i think xseed might just. have really lovely company policies on certain things.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Even Zestiria wasn't attempting a total departure from series conventions, so I think it's fine if they're just going for a more open and explorable world as long as they've had the time, resources, and management to actually put thought into and execute such a thing. Berseria backpedaled on Zesty's issues as much as it could given the circumstances, so I doubt they'd swing right back into them.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
What if they make a tales of cyberpunk protagonist running around hacking computers and fighting in outlawed nightclubs on different futuristic planets. Although then they'd have to call it star ocean 6.

U-DO Burger posted:

if they're hoping to change up the series, then for the love of god i hope they finally try a different composer

Why do you hate the hammond organ and all its marvelously baseball-stadium quality arpeggios

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63hwKhUE6YY

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TurnipFritter posted:

I was not ready for them to use such a simple word for their title.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Restrictive credits policies are the weirdest thing. There's no practical justification for them, it's not like you have to pay extra to include someone's name. And it's not like anti-headhunting poo poo from the 80s since everyone has a linkedin and a portfolio. It's literally a vindictive move, there can't be any other justification.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

al-azad posted:

Restrictive credits policies are the weirdest thing. There's no practical justification for them, it's not like you have to pay extra to include someone's name. And it's not like anti-headhunting poo poo from the 80s since everyone has a linkedin and a portfolio. It's literally a vindictive move, there can't be any other justification.

Yeah it reads to me as either vindictive after some sort of internal dispute or "we don't want our company name associated with this person" like she's been per-emptively cancelled or something

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Ka0 posted:

Why do you hate the hammond organ and all its marvelously baseball-stadium quality arpeggios

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63hwKhUE6YY

thanks, i hate this *saves to favorites*

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/1137132042863251457

We removed the translator's name from the game credits after she was brought on for CS III. Let's see if anyone notices.

oh what the gently caress

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TurnipFritter posted:

Neat

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

I don't know the specifics about it, but them having a weird credit policy isn't new. Their credit policy came up before during the Akiba's Beat debacle when one of the translators wanted their name removed from it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Right now every shitposter and journalist is silently hoping that Tales of Arise ends up being bad and are workshopping their "Tales of Arse" puns.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t hope it is bad but that screenshot is so generic.

I mean it’s just a screenshot so it could be anything but woof.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

After how aesthetically unpleasing the landscapes in the previous few games could get I can't help but feel refreshed by that pic.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope if any of this is legit that the rumor about it having a choice between a male or female protag is true, and that the choice is handled better than tales of xillia

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Octopath Traveler is out on Steam. Nice looking pixel art, but the price point seems very steep, at least in my region...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

quality dialog choices

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i hope if any of this is legit that the rumor about it having a choice between a male or female protag is true, and that the choice is handled better than tales of xillia

It's legit.

https://gematsu.com/2019/06/bandai-namco-e3-2019-announcements-leaked-tales-of-arise-from-softwares-elden-ring-and-ni-no-kuni-remastered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

excited to run down gorgeous corridors powered by unreal engine 4