Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They also intentionally went hog wild with the massive increase in storage capacity represented by the CD medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Bongo Bill posted:

They also intentionally went hog wild with the massive increase in storage capacity represented by the CD medium.

And they couldn’t even fit it all on one

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

That's right, DQ7 was a 2-disc affair, I had forgotten.

The last console I bought was PS2 and I didn't have many games for it... were there multi-disc releases in anything in the X360 generation and beyond?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ofecks posted:

The last console I bought was PS2 and I didn't have many games for it... were there multi-disc releases in anything in the X360 generation and beyond?

There were a few.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Fianl fantasy xiii was multi disc iirc.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So were Lost Odyssey and DQ adjacent Blue Dragon.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I think the only game in the current gen to come on two discs is Red Dead 2

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Ofecks posted:

Mass Effect 2 & 3 were two discs each on the 360.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Red Dead Redemption #1 Game of the Year was one disc on PS3 and two on 360. I can't remember the reason for that other than the systems use different types of media, but I know that to be the case as I have a PS3 version of RDRGotY and I thought that I had lost my other disc.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
its because they used different types of media...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Star Ocean 4 was three discs on 360. None of that on PC.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Blu-Rays can hold like 10x the data of a standard DVD, I think. You might be able to cram something huge like an MMO on a single high-density dual-layered Blu-Ray.

Guess I just answered my own question of why multi-disc stuff is mostly a thing of the past. RDR2 being two Blu-Rays is pretty impressive though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ofecks posted:

Blu-Rays can hold like 10x the data of a standard DVD, I think. You might be able to cram something huge like an MMO on a single high-density dual-layered Blu-Ray.

Guess I just answered my own question of why multi-disc stuff is mostly a thing of the past. RDR2 being two Blu-Rays is pretty impressive though.

I think the presence of hard drives has a lot to do with it also, if you compress and then install to a hard drive you need less on-disc space than you do if it all has to be on the disc and then into memory.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Two entire Blu Rays of boredom

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't miss having to switch discs because of some protection scheme or that a disc has walled off content.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Ok, DQ11, should I dump all the stat seeds on the protagonist or mix them up with the party members?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

you can beat the game just fine without using any seeds at all so really just use them however you like

i always end up using most of them to make my mages more tanky and give the hero more mp but that's just a personal preference

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I personally dump them all on the protagonist because he's the one you can be reasonably sure will be around most/all the time. But yeah, you can easily beat DQ games without using any at all, so spend them however you like.

Except because of the way DQ11's skill system works, I save skill seeds and use them on whoever is a point or two away from a skill I want them to have.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hector Delgado posted:

Ok, DQ11, should I dump all the stat seeds on the protagonist or mix them up with the party members?

With skill seeds in particular, each character will by the time they reach the level cap have gotten close to, but not quite, enough skill points to max out their respective skill boards, so there's a least-wasteful way to allocate those.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I'm going to hold on to the skill seeds then, and use them if I really need them. Thanks for the info

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

What I did was look up a list of how many skill seeds each character needs, then kept a running total on a piece of paper of how many I'd given each of them.

But, as with the other seeds, by the time you reach the point where this would be relevant, you're powerful enough to not really have to worry about it.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Hector Delgado posted:

There's one seed type that's only useful for Erik. I forget the stat, deftness I think.

Edit: It's been a while since I've played but I think I would recommend using the charm seeds on Sylvando and the ninja lady because many of their attacks are based on that stat.

Edit2: Erick probably benefits the most from the mp seeds and while it's never a problem in the normal difficulty, hp seeds are best on mages so they don't get one shotted. The skill seeds are more complex because there's a fixed amount needed before you cap skills. I wouldn't worry about skill seeds that much unless you plan on min/maxing which is mostly pointless.

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 8, 2019

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Defense, HP, and Magic seeds I used on veronica, Agility/deftness for erik, Strength for MC, and Charm for Sylvando.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 8, 2019

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Defense, HP, and Magic seeds I used on veronica, Agility/deftness for erik, Strength for MC, and Charm for Sylvando.

that's about what i did, too

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Commander Keene posted:

Except because of the way DQ11's skill system works, I save skill seeds and use them on whoever is a point or two away from a skill I want them to have.

This is how I used them and it was the right call. Getting a skill a level or two early is really awesome.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I really really want them to announce DQ11 Switch release at E3 and for it to be soon because I really want to marry Sylvando (irl but also ingame)

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I really really want them to announce DQ11 Switch release at E3 and for it to be soon because I really want to marry Sylvando (irl but also ingame)

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1138261732772732928

"This Fall"

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

100% believe Nintendo will drop an actual date during their Direct.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DQB 2 looks great but I keep hearing it's super grindy and worse than the first game in a lot of ways, has anyone here played it?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I just want another DQM, what are the odds that one of those games are ever getting localized to the west again?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Well, I finally finished DQXI after 160 hours on Friday, then took a couple of days to digest and catch up on this thread, which I'd been avoiding due to spoilers. DQ and I go back to the Christmas morning that I got Dragon Warrior, Zelda II, and Castlevania II after getting my NES the night before, and I've played the entire main series, most of them multiple times. Overall, I think XI is the new best in series, stealing the prize from V or VIII.

The plot, and its twists, kept me interested the whole time, and I was invested with the personal stories of all the characters. I was also impressed that I didn't really find any of the characters useless in combat, though some went through periods where they fell off, only to surge back later. I also didn't find the music to be a problem, just nothing special. It sounded like Dragon Quest to me, and I think a lot of the hate toward it is really directed toward Sugiyama himself rather than the music's merit or lack thereof.

Story specifics:

Act 2 I really didn't expect the game to go all FF6, I must say. I was genuinely kinda down after that, and the ensuing Nautica bit where it seemed like Marina sacrificed everything to save the Luminary. Veronica's death genuinely surprised me, and Serena's Arboria scenes were the most poignant in the game. All of the character arcs in Act 2 were superb, but Sylv's papi was especially heartwarming in the face of the world's despair.

Act 3 This was so satisfying after Act 2, to go back and replace the melancholy, but generally acceptable, resolutions to the stories. Especially Miko and Ryu, I found, because that one made me :stonk: the first time through. I absolutely do not subscribe to the notion that the original timeline continued without the Luminary. Aside from Horii saying that the timelines merged, it would have made the entire third act pointless since you weren't actually fixing anything for anyone but yourself, and I think this is made explicit by the déjà vu people get through the act.

Ending Without the Serenica piece to the ending, I don't think anyone would have questioned the merged timeline. Either that part was added late, without much thought to its implications, or Calasmos is still not slain by Erdwin and Serenica. Someone else on the internet said:

I think what makes most sense is that Calasmos was always going to survive Erdwin's "final blow" regardless of Morcant's actions. He had already shaved his spirit/consciousness off into one of the spirits of time. As such, Erdwin was only laying a blow on an already dead corpse. Serenica realizes that, in his spirit form, there is no way they can do anything to him, so she goes forward with the binding of Calasmos's corpse in Erdwin's Lantern. Morcant still gets tempted by the dark power and becomes Mordegon.

I think this makes the most sense. Erdwin and Serenica remain alive and together that way, but Calasmos still escapes his own death and remains in the spirit form required for his existence in the future. It had already happened before Erdwin was slain, and nothing Erdwin and Serenica really do during the fight with Calasmos changes that particular outcome and thus the following events. The only thing that changes is Erdwin survives the end of the battle instead of being slain by Morcant.

That interpretation makes the most sense to me, given that there's only one timeline according to Horii. Thus, the two books on the shelf are the stories of the two Luminaries, and off we go into DQIII.

What a game. I obviously played slowly since I clocked 160 hours and the platinum, but I didn't want it to end. :allears:

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Draqon Quest XI S coming September 27th

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1138480024950984704

Dragon Quest also coming to Smash!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sooner than I thought.

Not long now Sylvando (luv u xx)

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Luceo posted:

DQ and I go back to the Christmas morning that I got Dragon Warrior, Zelda II, and Castlevania II after getting my NES the night before, and I've played the entire main series, most of them multiple times.

The gave you the console itself on Xmas eve? Was that like a "ok, pick one present under the tree to open" and you went for the gigantic box and your parents didn't have the guts to say "not that one, idiot" like mine did?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Ofecks posted:

The gave you the console itself on Xmas eve? Was that like a "ok, pick one present under the tree to open" and you went for the gigantic box and your parents didn't have the guts to say "not that one, idiot" like mine did?

I would sometimes get A game on Xmas eve to keep me from coming downstairs at 4am to ransack the place, but I think all my consoles only showed up on Xmas morning.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Have to post here about being excited about Dragon Quest in Smash because the smash thread is full of uncultured simpletons

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Ofecks posted:

My Dad's parents opened gifts on Christmas Eve, and then my parents in the morning. It was such a good Christmas that year. :allears:

My Mom picked out those games without any input from me, either. She saw the commercial for Dragon Warrior with the knight on the white horse rearing up before he said, "Yes, King Lorick!" and rode off to find a slime drawing near! :allears:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Expect My Mom posted:

Have to post here about being excited about Dragon Quest in Smash because the smash thread is full of uncultured simpletons
Like Joker, DQ being in Smash almost makes me wish I liked the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Luceo posted:

My Dad's parents opened gifts on Christmas Eve, and then my parents in the morning. It was such a good Christmas that year. :allears:

My Mom picked out those games without any input from me, either. She saw the commercial for Dragon Warrior with the knight on the white horse rearing up before he said, "Yes, King Lorick!" and rode off to find a slime drawing near! :allears:

So uh... your grandparents gave you the console which you opened the xmas eve, then your parents gave you the extra games which you opened xmas morning? Am I understanding that correctly? I'm sorry, this story is oddly significant for some reason.

Those are amazing picks for games. They would have kept me busy for at least a year. I had all 3 myself, but spaced much farther apart. I'm one of the (assumed) many who acquired DW due to the Nintendo Power promotion.