Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Hell Stink posted:

End of dream.

Sorry.

quote:

The ceiling of this cargo hold was high, extremely high, and poorly lit. Looking straight up a facehugger dropped. I couldn't raise my heavy rifle quick enough.

I fired two more shots and it got me. But then I saw a facehugger coming towards me from behind. It was too fast, so it was too easy I barely managed to move out of a prone position but I was out of shots. I'd tried. I wasn't prepared or prepared for a facehugger. It was fast and I could barely hold my rifle without dropping it. Just like before, it hit me in the forehead, it was too much. I couldn't pull the trigger, not even to try and shoot them from behind. So the shotgun started a fire, it worked, I wasn't able to shoot back but I was able to keep fire up.

This was the third time this week that we'd been ambushed and I just kept my rifle down. The next two times there had been an incident, each one ended in deaths. The last time I was with two friends. The third time it was a group of four people, just five. The last time they were on my floor and this is when I first heard my parents scream, all I could hear was my parents screaming. And now, this. They'd killed me. And now the worst thing.

I'm sitting here, in the hospital, bleeding from five gunshots in five different places and, finally, my parents, just sitting there, just waiting for this to happen to my wife. (laugh) And now, here I'm, talking to this old woman, and I'm talking to that woman who is going to be my only daughter. I'm trying to put all of this behind. But this isn't even as bad as I thought it would be. If they weren't here with me right now, I wouldn't have let it happen. I'd be just glad for nothing.

What a tragic ending. This is how it gets to me. I think there's a lot behind it. If anything, I've gotten better since all the times we saw each other as kids. But at the same time, if they had told me then, and I'm honest here, they would have told me again, "Oh, you don't want to see you kids again?" I guess I just don't want to miss them.

Probably best the dream ended where it did tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Djeser posted:

I'll check it out, since I apparently had some free Kindle credit and I needed to learn how to put Kindle books on my Nook anyway.

Slight derail: Dunno about the Nook, but for ebook conversion / management for my Kindle I love Calibre. There's even a plugin for stripping DRM off of various formats (I use it for loading Google Play Books I've purchased onto it).

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

i have had it with these motherfucking xenomorphs on this motherfucking UD-4L Cheyenne Dropship

Biplane fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 8, 2019

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

gary oldmans diary posted:

this thread didnt actually make it 55 pages talking about 1 movie. plus that isnt really enough for its own thread. plus its entire target audience is already itt

I always enjoyed when he snapped the F5 Tornado's neck at the end of Twister.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I watched Edge of Tomorrow a couple of days ago and didn't realise until the end that Bill Paxton was in it. I'm very bad at recognising actors, but I felt dumb as hell since his role is literally "what if Hudson became Apone?". I also now regret not paying enough attention to all the times he must've died in that movie.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Voting Floater posted:

I watched Edge of Tomorrow a couple of days ago and didn't realise until the end that Bill Paxton was in it. I'm very bad at recognising actors, but I felt dumb as hell since his role is literally "what if Hudson became Apone?". I also now regret not paying enough attention to all the times he must've died in that movie.

You only see him die once in the movie, and he does not say the line.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I picked up the aliens and predator comics omnibuses, and oh man I'm glad other than reading this thread I went in blind. Completely different story than the later movies and media made.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Riatsala posted:

COLD FORGE COLD FORGE COLD FORGE

...actually, that one doesn't capture the mood of Alien imo, but it is really good

Popped back in to say thanks for the recommendation. It's still got some of the things that bother me about the other Alien novels, but Cold Forge is the closest I've seen to getting things right. I wasn't too into the villain because Patrick Bateman types have never really appealed to me, but aside from that it worked well enough.

i don't know what my ideal book-version-of-Alien would be. I was thinking a collection of short stories might work well, but then realized that the author/s would probably wind up using it to tell a bunch of ghost stories instead of exploring interesting vignettes.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

There is a collection of Aliens short stories, it’s..... a mixed bag.

Aliens: Bug Hunt https://www.amazon.com/dp/1785654446/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_KF1bDbTY2EYVJ

Speaking of a mixed bag, NECA just released a two-pack of Linn and Dutch from the classic 90s AvP arcade game. I’ve been looking forward to this set for a while now, and my preorder shipped yesterday.

Well, one of my favorite action figure reviewers got a review set from NECA and it’s got some issues. I’m not nearly as bothered by the Linn figure as he is, but the head sculpt on Dutch is, uh

its real fuckin’ bad. Like, goddamn. :stare:

https://youtu.be/cdsLGsmHYDU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Xenomrph posted:

the head sculpt on Dutch is, uh

It looks like it's been loving sandblasted.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I thought NECA was known for doing decent figures? Or are they just the biggest company? Those are awful, they look like knock offs!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I thought NECA was known for doing decent figures? Or are they just the biggest company? Those are awful, they look like knock offs!

Neca isn’t a big company, at least not by the standards of mega-giants like Hasbro or Mattel. These really appear to be an outlier because the vast majority of their stuff is real good. They have some outliers and sometimes have some quality control issues, but this is way beyond their usual gently caress-ups.

In the grand scheme of Alien figures they’re at the lowest price point: $20-$25 sorta specialty shop figures aimed at collectors; you’d generally only see their stuff at comic shops, dedicated toy/collector stores (online or otherwise), and Toys R Us when they still existed.

Beyond that you start getting into Japanese import figures from specialty companies - the quality is drastically better and often come with accessories and whatever, but they cost $60-$100 a pop and don’t come out nearly as frequently.

I’m looking forward to seeing the NECA twitter account - the guy who operates it is the company’s CEO and he’s got a pretty big ego and doesn’t respond well to (often deserved) criticism of his company’s products.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

Well I think it's just wonderful that they are making figures of... you know, special guys these days. Bless his heart.

Also the anime one is pretty stupid.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Which anime one?

The two-pack is of two of the player characters from the AvP arcade game from the 90s.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

Which anime one?

The two-pack is of two of the player characters from the AvP arcade game from the 90s.

Oh... I see. lol

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's an extremely good arcade game

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

purple death ray posted:

It's an extremely good arcade game

...and it has a pretty dang good combo system that allows for some truly silly stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GgZTIqr4OA

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's a pretty loving dumb series if you think about it, oh no space vaginas killing future poor rear end in a top hat schmucks, what a tragedy.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's a pretty loving dumb series if you think about it, oh no space vaginas killing future poor rear end in a top hat schmucks, what a tragedy.

If you’re referring to the Alien series, then you go wash your mouth out with soap right this instant, young man. :mad:

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

2edgy4me

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I disagree. And let me tell you, I thought about it a lot.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Get away from here you bitch

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

No that's predator

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

The Lord shall strike you down for this blasphemy, heathen!

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Dammit, SMG is leaking into the thread.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Currently listening to the Alien novelization on Audible. It's pretty good so far.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Aliens is still the best and only one other Adventure Thriller (is that a term or did I just make it up?) Is on its level and that is JAWS. Except even the bad sequels to Aliens are better than the Jaws sequels no matter how much fondness I have for Jaws 3d which is stupid but in a really fun not completely moronic way.

Aliens has way better videogames though as almost every Jaws game except that one super short fan made text Adventure sucks.

Have I shown my Alien/Predator games collection yet? I forget where my collection image dump photos stopped and it's been a few months...

Eh gently caress I'll post em anyhow and save comics and book type merch for another time.

As far as I can tell the only gameplay unique titles I am missing are the lovely MSX Aliens game and AvP arcade and given that the latter is currently only going to have a home port in an enormous 2 player 250 dollar plug and play Capcom logo THING. My commitment to the Hive is not that strong. I'm cheap.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Holy poo poo, it's the Activision C64 Aliens game! I got that for my birthday in fifth grade. Somehow sitting here on my couch as a grown-rear end man I can hum the intro music, the entire dropship level tune, and remember that the music was done by someone named Russel Lieblich. It's a wonderful lovely little game.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:stare:

drat. That's an awesome collection you have there. I just looked up the Aliens The Computer Game, which seems to be the one you mentioned Ape. I watched the intro and that was pretty drat cool. One of the most tension building scenes in the movie all with just 16 colors and it kicked rear end.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Splicer posted:

No that's predator

gently caress, I was drunk as hell but still can't believe I confused my space vaginas and space cocks.

I'll never live this down.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Is the Dead Orbit comic good? A coworker lent it to me and the art looks cool but I haven't started it yet.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
A sick Alien III lithograph signed by HR Giger himself turned up on pawn stars recently, of course the guy sells a full size art piece for Vegas spare change but look at this thing

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I hate you for making me think about Pawn Stars.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is the Dead Orbit comic good? A coworker lent it to me and the art looks cool but I haven't started it yet.
I'm not a huge fan, although the second half is better than the first.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

A Strange Aeon posted:

Story's by-the-numbers, art is loving gorgeous.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Heads up to tabletop nerds the publishers who recently lost the rights to keep printing their AvP minis game are doing a clearance. Never played the game but the models look nice and seem good to stock up on for the upcoming ttrpg.

https://prodosgames.com/

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The 2000 AvP is on sale on Steam for $1.24. Just wanna throw that out there.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

Which anime one?

Think the artist traced Rob LIefeld's Captain America for Major D?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

There is a collection of Aliens short stories, it’s..... a mixed bag.

Aliens: Bug Hunt https://www.amazon.com/dp/1785654446/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_KF1bDbTY2EYVJ

Speaking of a mixed bag, NECA just released a two-pack of Linn and Dutch from the classic 90s AvP arcade game. I’ve been looking forward to this set for a while now, and my preorder shipped yesterday.

Well, one of my favorite action figure reviewers got a review set from NECA and it’s got some issues. I’m not nearly as bothered by the Linn figure as he is, but the head sculpt on Dutch is, uh

aren't you the guy who got some guys from the movie to be in your lets play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Think the artist traced Rob LIefeld's Captain America for Major D?

More like copied the source that Liefeld copied Captain America from: it's from a Mr. Universe photo of Arnold Schwarzenegger, which makes a lot of sense because it's supposedly Dutch or a descendent of his.