Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I can't for the life of me find the scans, but....

One of my friends as a kid had an aunt who worked in a pulbishing company, so she got him tons of comics that I got to skim. And one that -really- stuck with me was Kevin O'Neil's Marshal Law series. It seemed like the late 80s grimdark antihero fare, only MORE.

Except it really wasn't. It was a weird thing, an early deconstruction of a deconstruction. A Punisher-like vigilante hunting heroes who have gone mad with PTSD and formed gangs after the metahuman version of the Vietnam War. Except...his secret-identity unemployed construction worker self is dating a poli-sci college student who hates superheroes and is writing a thesis on how the very concept of them in damaging and toxic. And she's not protrayed as a loony SJW caricature. Rash, for sure, but also very much on point.

And the very last pages of the first series, when after a ton of INSANE poo poo goes down, he finally reads her work, even about his own superhero identity, and it just lays bare the core of the world, the recent events, and his own motivation. It's sad and touching, and also a strange contrast with the super-colorful art style that still some how works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Spider-Man: Life Story once again knocking it out of the loving park. This is gonna be one of those stories that will remembered and recommended for years to come.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Read JL #25 ya mooks. Best superman moment since all star

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

McCloud posted:

:yeah:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

McCloud posted:

Do I need to catch up on the previous 24 or the current arc or something?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sephyr posted:

I can't for the life of me find the scans, but....

One of my friends as a kid had an aunt who worked in a pulbishing company, so she got him tons of comics that I got to skim. And one that -really- stuck with me was Kevin O'Neil's Marshal Law series. It seemed like the late 80s grimdark antihero fare, only MORE.

Except it really wasn't. It was a weird thing, an early deconstruction of a deconstruction. A Punisher-like vigilante hunting heroes who have gone mad with PTSD and formed gangs after the metahuman version of the Vietnam War. Except...his secret-identity unemployed construction worker self is dating a poli-sci college student who hates superheroes and is writing a thesis on how the very concept of them in damaging and toxic. And she's not protrayed as a loony SJW caricature. Rash, for sure, but also very much on point.

And the very last pages of the first series, when after a ton of INSANE poo poo goes down, he finally reads her work, even about his own superhero identity, and it just lays bare the core of the world, the recent events, and his own motivation. It's sad and touching, and also a strange contrast with the super-colorful art style that still some how works.

On which note, could someone dig out the panel where Marshal Law finds a hero? It belongs in this thread.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

Do you mean Superman Discovering The Power Of Anime?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Vincent posted:

Do I need to catch up on the previous 24 or the current arc or something?

Bare minimum the current arc starting on issue 19, but as usual the full context of the stakes would require reading all 25 issues plus JL annual 1. The gist of it is that the source wall is broken and that ancient and powerful beings are set to judge if the multiverse is in harmony. Lex luthor is trying to save the universe by awakening the creator of the multiverse and tilt rhe cosmic scale towards Doom, while the league are scrambling to stop him. It's the best this series has been in a good decade.

ImpAtom posted:

Do you mean Superman Discovering The Power Of Anime?

Excuse you, anime discovered the power of Superman :colbert:

McCloud fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 9, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

Excuse you, anime discovered the power of Superman :colbert:

https://imgur.com/a/CeZ0Nbf

I think this is the scene you mean then!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

That's the one! Although it's much better if you read the preceding issues

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If that pre punch page doesnt make you smile I dont know what is wrong with you.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I haven't kept up with DC very closely for years but I really like that scene, even without context. I think the best Superman stories fundamentally tell us that we aren't alone, and it's nice when that's flipped or expanded to include Clark himself, as someone who needs people and cherishes them. And of course, the punch was enormous, which is always icing on the cake.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Plus Ultra, father son Kamehameha, etc

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Archyduchess posted:

I haven't kept up with DC very closely for years but I really like that scene, even without context. I think the best Superman stories fundamentally tell us that we aren't alone, and it's nice when that's flipped or expanded to include Clark himself, as someone who needs people and cherishes them. And of course, the punch was enormous, which is always icing on the cake.

The open secret of Superman is that he's inspired by the people around him to be better. Not just Lois or Bruce or Pa, but regular folks who will stick their necks out to give you a hand when you need it. It's as much part of the character as that big S on his chest

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

McCloud posted:

The open secret of Superman is that he's inspired by the people around him to be better. Not just Lois or Bruce or Pa, but regular folks who will stick their necks out to give you a hand when you need it. It's as much part of the character as that big S on his chest

reminds me of that one with Dick Turpin leading the resistance against Darkseid. we inspire each other, as human beings

also do we yet know how they fix that big hole he put in the earth?

sammyv
Nov 8, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

reminds me of that one with Dick Turpin leading the resistance against Darkseid. we inspire each other, as human beings

I... Dick Turpin? The dandy highwayman?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

sammyv posted:

No, Private Pulsifer’s car

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Thaddius the Large posted:

No, Private Pulsifer’s car

I thought this was Batman's sidekick?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

sammyv posted:

No, that's Adam Ant.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

dan turpin, my bad

frames are like panels https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0pcChyV6o4

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

LordSaturn posted:

alternate dimension/future, doesn't count.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
edit: saw what I had posted before had already been posted a few pages back, I'll post this instead

Injustice 2 Annual #2: This one's a flashback to before either of the games and before the world went to poo poo. Batman broke his arm and Superman has sent him and Alfred out to Smallville to force Bruce into some R&R

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 12, 2019

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
“That boy would take a secret to the grave.”

*Announces Batman’s secret identity on Twitter in same series*

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Some people to this day think the twitter thing was dumb, when it was actually amazing.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I like that issue because it also admits that Batman did have a role in escalating Superman's everything after the Joker nuked Metropolis because he did nothing to ease Supes' pain because of "muh Joker".

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Some people to this day think the twitter thing was dumb, when it was actually amazing.

Especially since it was a plan that came from a pissed off teenager who had enough of his dad's bullshit.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There's a very good fanfiction about Clark bringing Bruce and Diana to Christmas, and the Kents have a similar energy when they talk with Bruce as these panels.

Edit: Found it.

An excerpt posted:

"Have a cookie," Mrs. Kent suggested, pushing the plate closer to Bruce's side of the couch. "Maybe it'll cheer you up."

"Wouldn't want to get too cheered," he reminded her. "I might smile again."

"Don't be silly," she chided. "It's just the fake smiles, makes you look like you just found out your exes are dating."

"I can see how that would be a problem."

"I should hope so."

"Some people think I have a nice smile," Bruce said. "Some of them even smile for a living." Which in theory made them experts.

Mrs. Kent raised an eyebrow. "Bruce. Can I be honest?"

"I don't see why you should stop now."

She reached out to pat him gently on the shoulder. "I don't think those people care about you very much."

He considered this. He considered, also, that Mrs. Kent was far from the first person to ask him to stop smiling. "Probably not, no," he conceded.

"Cookie?" she suggested again, holding the plate up for him. This time he took one, and she looked satisfied.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 12, 2019

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Lurdiak posted:

One of the many reasons the Sam Raimi spider-man movies got Jonah perfectly is this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAfxBXAQCZM

Jonah was in the middle of giving Peter poo poo, and is clearly terrified, but doesn't give him up to Goblin, even though Peter is right there.

Although I will say, Robbie wasn't working at the Bugle yet when Peter started working freelance, therefore this is clearly not canon and furthermore :goonsay:

The pause after 'I trust my barber' where you can clearly tell Peter's thinking 'you shouldn't' and wishes he could say it is so good.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
My headcanon is that Ma Kent doesn't approve of Batman, but he really wants her to like him, so anytime he's at the Kent farm he comes off as Eddie Haskell.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aunt May reopened FEAST

FN Spider-Man #7

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Aunt May reopened FEAST

FN Spider-Man #7

Oh no is she going to die?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ImpAtom posted:

Oh no is she going to die?

She did find out that she has cancer recently, wouldn't be surprised if they're slowly building towards killing her off again, this time in a more permanent fashion

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

She did find out that she has cancer recently, wouldn't be surprised if they're slowly building towards killing her off again, this time in a more permanent fashion

and then putting her in (the Marvel equivalent of) a Lazarus pit so she can emerge looking younger and like Marisa Tomei to fit in the MCU.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

drrockso20 posted:

It looks like Mary Jane is back in Peter's life so that's at least a decent bargaining chip with Mephisto.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

drrockso20 posted:

she's gonna die and spend two panels in vahalla before returning

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

site posted:

she's gonna die and spend two panels in vahalla before returning

I would read multiple issues of Aunt May in Valhalla.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Aunt May giving Loki a stern talking to but also baking his favorite cookies

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Gologle posted:

I like that issue because it also admits that Batman did have a role in escalating Superman's everything after the Joker nuked Metropolis because he did nothing to ease Supes' pain because of "muh Joker".

I thought those panels were going to be that moment and I'm glad they weren't. That part of the issue sucks.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Push El Burrito posted:

I would read multiple issues of Aunt May in Valhalla.

The einherjar love these wheat cakes! It gives them the will to fight and die another day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

TwoPair posted:

and then putting her in (the Marvel equivalent of) a Lazarus pit so she can emerge looking younger and like Marisa Tomei to fit in the MCU.

I have to admit, I like Hot Aunt May. Probably not in comics though.