Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Whoops I thought I read before that it was a required 100mbps down for 60fps 1080p but it turns out Google is saying 20. Geforce Now is saying 50.

Are speeds like you get common? That seems incredibly fast to get consistently, your area must have great infrastructure.

I've only spiked over 100mbps for seconds at a time and a consistent dl always slows down to about 30mbps if I'm lucky. Then there's the throttling after data allotment.

https://www.opensignal.com/reports/2018/09/netherlands/state-of-the-mobile-network

My measurements were taken at home with good reception. I'm sure it'll go down quite a bit when you're on the move, but over-all our infrastructure is pretty sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Enos Cabell posted:

Do any carriers in the US even offer 4g unlimited plans that don't throttle the hell out of you once you cross a relatively low barrier? I'd be through my monthly limit in a few days.

nope, because unlimited is a lie.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm still trying to figure out who their target market is for that junk. You still have to buy the games, you need a very fast internet connection, and you can only play while connected to that very fast internet which rules out pretty much any public wi-fi. What problem are they solving here?

I'm certainly not going to be using it, but I believe the problem they are attempting to solve is the fairly expensive barrier to entry for PC or to a lesser extent Console. Their product is a less expensive way to try a game for people who do not yet have a way to play said game. There are a large number of people who do not play video games yet, and google is trying to solve the problem of these people not giving google money.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's gonna tank worse than Steambox

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I’m honestly surprised there isn’t an ad-supported option. Or an “insert coin to continue” plan?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Stickman posted:

I’m honestly surprised there isn’t an ad-supported option. Or an “insert coin to continue” plan?

There is a free tier. It is also a games store, so just like Steam, they are going to be taking a big cut of every games sale.

I imagine being Google, they are also going to farm your game playing information and sell it, packaged with your search history, and mail activity, and calendar entries, and phone activity, and shopping history, and location history from google maps, and what flavor popsicle you like best, and the color of your last poo poo, and the last time you saw a titty, and who your crush was in the 3rd grade, and

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

If the free tier doesn't actually include games, it's not much of a "free" tier, especially considering your second point!

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If the free tier was ad supported and had a good variety of games it'd be a really interesting option, no idea what market it serves as it is. Didn't Amazon try doing a ad supported tier for Android games but had to shut it down? Amazon Underground, I think.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Second look at a tiny low end 1650, German nerd edition: https://www.tomshw.de/2019/06/07/zu-unrecht-verkannt-pny-gtx-1650-xlr8-oc-im-test-pure-vernuft-ohne-externen-versorgungsanschluss/
62W max torture load, loses only 1-2% fps down compared to the expensive models with external power, leaves 1050ti well behind.
Why PNY skipped DisplayPort is beyond me, but oh well I'm sure there is a model with one and minus the DVI.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

3DMarks DXR benchmark was just updated to better support "upcoming hardware" :thunk:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm still trying to figure out who their target market is for that junk. You still have to buy the games, you need a very fast internet connection, and you can only play while connected to that very fast internet which rules out pretty much any public wi-fi. What problem are they solving here?

You don't have to keep buying GPUs if you live in one of the areas with uncapped internet.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
For what games? Certainly not for anything fast paced. Slow-paced GPU-intensive games tend to be very foliage heavy, and foliage encoding still looks like absolute garbage. Non-GPU intensive games why bother with a streaming service? So that leaves basically nothing.

Streaming services may be relevant some day, but we are not anywhere even close to that day.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

K8.0 posted:

For what games? Certainly not for anything fast paced. Slow-paced GPU-intensive games tend to be very foliage heavy, and foliage encoding still looks like absolute garbage. Non-GPU intensive games why bother with a streaming service? So that leaves basically nothing.

Streaming services may be relevant some day, but we are not anywhere even close to that day.

With 35 mbit video streams and Google delivery encoding and delivery infrastructure, I'd wait to see image quality before you write it off. That's closer to blu-ray numbers, not Netflix, and blu-ray is stuck without access to modern video codecs.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I would say at least wait to see it and if it deserves making GBS threads on, by all means go ahead. There's something to be said about Google's backend infrastructure, though, compared to previous attempts at this kind of service.

Your Netflix movies don't come from Netflix HQ because your local ISP office has some locked-up machine that's property of Netflix Inc and the staff has been instructed not to touch it, and Google has that kind of stroke as well to build out it's infrastructure as close to the last mile as possible. Nvidia doesn't, and PlayStation doesn't. So while GeForce Now and other similar ideas are reason to be wary, it's not guaranteed this is a technical failure.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
I suppose Stadia will always have a free teir. Otherwise theyd be the only place you can buy a new game full price and able to play it a month later.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I rip blurays to around 9 GB in 265, that comes out to only around 9 mbit, I use the very slow preset that takes like a day to encode a movie, but if they're using something faster but on a modern codec I could see it looking fine. If they're still using 264...why?

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
I seem to remember a handful of goons arguing that on-live was totally feasible and a great idea 10 years ago or whenever it was.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

K8.0 posted:

If Google's stats and the press previews are right, it's fine for nearly anything single player (the press preview as Asscreed Odyssey on ultra 1080p/60) and fine for non-twitchy multiplayer. The sell is that you can buy a game once and play on basically any computer or TV with a $35 dongle that fits in a pocket at max settings, without ever having to buy or janitor expensive gaming hardware or consoles again. For the vast majority of gamers, thats the dream. Odyssey at 1080p/60 on Ultra is like a 1070 Ti at minimum.

Streaming movies did not replace the ultra nerd home theater market. But for the vast majority of users, the small performance trade offs are offset by the ease of access. If Google can deliver like the previews, I could easily see Stadia doing the same for games. But that delivery is gonna be a tough one.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If I could get reasonable internet here I think I would forget most of the world has slow internet. Wasn't it Steve Wozniak who was given the option of paying to run a new line just for him and instead he just uses wireless internet rather than giving them 40,000 dollars to run a line for the area?

craig588 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 7, 2019

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Setting aside the technical issues, why would you want to take the risk of buying into the Stadia library when Google has a track record of launching half baked products and giving up on them.

Especially when you have Microsoft and Sony launching their own equivalent platforms and they have a history in gaming.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

And i wonder what the market size is for the demographic that is interested in console/PC level gaming, has good internet access, but isn't willing to get a console.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I give Stadia 2 years tops. Not a toxx!

I do think it will be totally playable for people in major centres with only hardcore folks having an issue.

Technology I worked on is on the Stadia datacentre GPU cards so I’m kinda chuffed about that but even I am not gonna pay money to buy games that will disappear once they decide to shut it down.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Not commenting on business viability here, but I have actually used the Google technology.

rear end Creed Odyssey looked very good, loaded quickly, and had undetectable latency. I don't mind 60fps for third person combat like that. It was very favorable compared to onlive. I know I can ping Google at about 6ms 20 miles north of Seattle.

Don't care for that type of game, but it looked better than what I think most would consider good enough.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 8, 2019

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Enos Cabell posted:

you are the product, not Stadia. Stadia will allow an extreme amount of tracking for young adults with disposable income.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
My bullshit 1TB data cap makes stadia a non starter for me even if had any interest in it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, sometimes I think that those Google people need to live away from campus here and there, to figure how the Internet works for normal people.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Stadia YouTube livestream they did this week kept dropping to 360p on my 80mbit connection, can't wait to stream my games from that quality infrastructure.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, sometimes I think that those Google people need to live away from campus here and there, to figure how the Internet works for normal people.

There isn’t anything they can do about that. Companies set their data caps based on the bulk of the bell curve (only the top 2% of users would be affected, etc) so making regular people use more data is the only way to make them go up.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

repiv posted:

The Stadia YouTube livestream they did this week kept dropping to 360p on my 80mbit connection, can't wait to stream my games from that quality infrastructure.

How insightful, I'm sure they'll run stadia on YouTube infrastructure.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

There isn’t anything they can do about that. Companies set their data caps based on the bulk of the bell curve (only the top 2% of users would be affected, etc) so making regular people use more data is the only way to make them go up.

There is something they could do, become an ISP, wonder if they've ever thought of that

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Jenny Agutter posted:

There is something they could do, become an ISP, wonder if they've ever thought of that

Google Fiber still exists.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Geemer posted:

Google Fiber still exists.

I thought they decided the business was so bad they weren't going to expand into any additional regions?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

I thought they decided the business was so bad they weren't going to expand into any additional regions?

To be honest, I only looked them up on Wikipedia and checked if it said "active" on there or not. It's not like they'd ever try to come to Europe.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I want to live in a cool cyberpunk future where my screen occasionally glitches out, shows artefacts or becomes blurry because I stream everything.

eames
May 9, 2009

3dcenter has Super rumors based on a chinese posting. The news they post tends to be pretty reliable but :salt:

Supposedly the super cards will perform roughly like the card above them (i.e. RTX 2070 Super ~= RTX2080) except for the 2080 Super which won't touch the ti. Pricing unknown.

The 2060 is rumored to get 8GB VRAM on a 256 bit bus which would be the most interesting change.

e: If prices stay the same then that would reverse the price increase that happened with the Turing launch where they shifted the whole product stack up one notch.
Seems too good to be true unless Navi is somehow decent, then again the yields must've improved a lot and they have a vested interest in getting more RTX cards in people's computers.

eames fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 8, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Turing is dead, long live Turing

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Beyond 2080 performance on an 2080S for same or less dollars, I'd probably be OK with. The looming Ampere release throws a wrench into everything, tho. :|

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eames posted:

3dcenter has Super rumors based on a chinese posting. The news they post tends to be pretty reliable but :salt:

Supposedly the super cards will perform roughly like the card above them (i.e. RTX 2070 Super ~= RTX2080) except for the 2080 Super which won't touch the ti. Pricing unknown.

The 2060 is rumored to get 8GB VRAM on a 256 bit bus which would be the most interesting change.

e: If prices stay the same then that would reverse the price increase that happened with the Turing launch where they shifted the whole product stack up one notch.
Seems too good to be true unless Navi is somehow decent, then again the yields must've improved a lot and they have a vested interest in getting more RTX cards in people's computers.

there really wasn't much of a "price increase" that happened with turing, relative to Pascal, unless you compare Turing launch prices to the mid-gen Pascal price cut.

And now the mid-gen Turing price cut is going to "undo" the launch price "increase", shocking. It's almost like this happens every generation. Big difference this time around being... you didn't get a Titan sticker on your TU102 cutdown like you did last gen.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 8, 2019

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Wasn't the takeaway at launch that they should have named the 2080ti Titan instead or something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ufarn posted:

Wasn't the takeaway at launch that they should have named the 2080ti Titan instead or something like that?

that would absolutely have been my takeaway if I were NVIDIA.

Next gen will have a "RTX Titan" at $1200 ($1500?) and a "RTX Titan Black" at $3000, with the 3080 Ti being introduced halfway through the generation, because people are butthurt about the sticker saying 2080 Ti instead of "Titan X Turing". Despite the fact that the Titan X Pascal was a cutdown anyway - it's the same drat thing as a 2080 Ti!

Contrary to popular mythology, it's also not the first $3000 titan we've seen. See: Titan Black. $2999 in 2012 dollars. People just like to focus on the happy case, the cheap models.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 8, 2019