Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

lmao chivas lmao river

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

joepinetree posted:

So, how's Danubio these days?

have they ever been not poo poo?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Polidoro posted:

have they ever been not poo poo?

Well, last time around my Atletico got bounced by Jorge Wilstermann. So here's hoping that Danubio stays poo poo for another few months then.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Jorge Wilstermann is a powerful man, however.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Gignac is still doing the business in Mexico. It's cool how his move to Tigres worked out as well as it has.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://mobile.twitter.com/BocaJrsOficial/status/1090018372488757249

Home Alone 5 looks interesting.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

trem_two posted:

Gignac is still doing the business in Mexico. It's cool how his move to Tigres worked out as well as it has.

It's crazy how well it's gone I was sure he'd be a dud, by all accounts the dude and his family love it in Mexico, guy turned down transfers and wants to stay with Tigres for the rest of his career.

Like yeah part of his success comes down to the drop in level of Liga MX and all but the way the dude committed is admirable. Think he is a Mexican citizen now too.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

I knew Boca was bound to play some games with an empty stadium after the whole Libertadores fiasco, but drat, this is a bit much, innit?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Dias posted:

I knew Boca was bound to play some games with an empty stadium after the whole Libertadores fiasco, but drat, this is a bit much, innit?

:newlol:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
That Danúbio goal keeper was phenomenal today, but my Atlético isn't going far if they don't really improve their defense. Especially getting rid of Patric.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
So Atletico almost embarrassed itself by coming close to losing a 3 goal lead over Danubio. On to defensor, who managed to lose both of its games and still advance over some paperwork technicality regarding Barcelona.

That said, this Atletico team is pretty bad and a round of 16 is probably the best i can hope for.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

I'm very much enjoying the continued failings of Sampaoli

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Santos is a mess. Even as most Uruguayan teams seem to be a mess (Danubio and Defensor couldn't handle the most mediocre version of Atletico Mineiro, and David Terans is like C team level for Atletico), Santos can't even make it past what looks like the worst of the bunch in a south american competition?

Meanwhile, Atletico Mineiro should dispatch Defensor easily tonight, and then get an easy group with Nacional.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Libertadores is transmitting on Facebook now. I think anywhere can watch it so if you want some mostly lovely football, nows the best time to get on board

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Watching the Libertadores and I didn’t realize that Gabigol ended up at Flamengo. Has he been any good? He was insanely poo poo at Inter but it was not really his fault I think.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

Watching the Libertadores and I didn’t realize that Gabigol ended up at Flamengo. Has he been any good? He was insanely poo poo at Inter but it was not really his fault I think.

He won the bola de prata as the best striker and top scorer in last year's national championship. But keep in mind that Brazilian football is so bankrupt and lacking talent that the person to win those two awards in 2017 was Jo.

I.e., probably will end up in Japan, China or Saudi Arabia.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
One of the survivors of the Chapecoense plane crash died this week of a heart attack while playing soccer...

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

joepinetree posted:

One of the survivors of the Chapecoense plane crash died this week of a heart attack while playing soccer...

How old was he? What a nightmare.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

How old was he? What a nightmare.

45. He was the radio play by play guy.

I can't imagine his family, first hearing that his plane has crashed, then that he had survived, only to lose him less than three years later while he was out playing soccer.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I know not a lot of people check this thread anymore, but I have to vent my frustrations with my favorite team, Atletico Mineiro.

2013-14 were incredible years. Won libertadores, copa do brasil, recopa, state championship all in dramatic fashion. Fast forward 5 years, and now coaches at second division teams are rejecting offers from Atletico because of the joke it has become.

And it's all very easy to understand why. The administration since 2015 is run by a bunch of morons with wildly unrealistic ideas. So in 2015 Atletico was runner up in the national championship, but that wasn't good enough so they sacked the manager at the end of the year. In 2016, Atletico was runner up in copa do brasil and 4th in Brasileirao, which was once again not good enough, so they sacked the manager again. 2017 Atletico was 1st overall in Libertadores and won the state championship, but that wasn't good enough because of struggles in the early rounds of the Brasileirao, so they sacked the manager. 2018, with a much depleted team, they were 6th in the Brasileirao, made it to libertadores, but the manager was once again sacked. Now, not only do coaches know that anything short of a national title will lead to their firing, but players know that if the head coach is not to their liking, or too much of a disciplinarian, all they have to do is play poorly for a few games to force the manager out. It's probably going to be several years before this can be fixed, I just hope we're not relegated in the meantime.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
what sort of moron who's not me owns the club and handles it that way? i always had the impression brazilian football teams were always like that anyway?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

advanced statsman posted:

what sort of moron who's not me owns the club and handles it that way? i always had the impression brazilian football teams were always like that anyway?

I was going to ask what regular manager turnover in Brazil is like. Do most teams keep a managers more than a few years? Does it differ at the top of the table vs. the bottom? For a big club, lets say the Flamengo's and Sao Paolo's of the world, how much are trophies worth in terms of clout these days?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Brazilian clubs don't have owners, they are more like literal clubs with dues paying members, which generally leads to amateurs who are corrupt leading their football divisions.

And yes, there is generally a lot of turn over in Brazilian clubs, but not to the extent that Atlético has faced, and not with the relative level of success. Atlético has averaged 3 managers a year. Meanwhile, gremio and Cruzeiro have had the same manager since 2016.

Atlético's golden years came when we stuck with cuca even as he barely escaped relegation and lost 6-1 to our main rivals in 2011, then didn't win anything of note in 2012.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
There's heavy manager turnover, the only way to keep your job in top flight teams is by winning trophies, and if you're a good manager in a smaller club, you're gonna get picked up by a bigger one after their current manager gets sacked.

Grêmio has kept Renato Portaluppi around for the last three years, but that's because he's won a Copa do Brasil, a Libertadores and made it to the semis of the latter while winning a state championship after a years long draught in consecutive years. If we drop from the Libertadores in the group stage and don't win anything else, I'm pretty sure they're just gonna mail him to Flamengo or whatever, despite his amazing record so far and his status as a club icon.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
To clarify, the remarkable thing about Atlético isn't the high turnover, but that it happened even with some success. Levir won the recopa and copa do brasil in 14 and the state championship in 15, and was fired for being runner up in the brasileirao. Marcello Oliveira was 4th in brasileirao and was fired in the middle of the copa do brasil finals for losing the first finals game.
Roger machado won the state championship, was first overall in libertadores, and when he was fired he still had the second leg of the libertadores and copa do brasil left to play, with high chance of advancing (lost to jorge willsterman in the mountains 1-0, had beaten botafogo in the first leg 1-0), but was fired for a string of bad results in the brasileirao.

Sure, Mano and Renato have had successes that explain why they are hanging on, but after that success neither was fired at the first not quite as successful season. Mano would have been fired in 16 and Renato in 18 if it was Atlético.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Whoever's running the Galo asylum does overdo it, that's for sure. I thought Roger was fired a bit too fast when he was our manager, but at least it was after a string of bad results.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
When Roger was fired in 2017, Atletico was in 11th in the Brasileirao, but only 5 points away from 4th, so it's not like he was even doing that poorly in the Brasileirao. And again, still with the home game in Libertadores and away game in the copa do brasil. They then brought in Rogerio Micale, who managed to just tie with Jorge Willsterman, lose to Botafogo, and lasted 3 months as manager.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
If poo poo is going wrong, they almost always sack the manager before they dump the squad. That's one of the big differences I noticed. I think a lot of that has to do with owners in Europe interacting directly with the manager, and there's more investment put into the philosophy of the manager than in the talent of the team. Supporters in Brazil know star players or a good team and value that. I think this is a big contributor to the idolization of players in Brazil and why young players in Brazil have a tendency of buying into their own hype.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Brazilian soccer has also been a poaching ground for European/Chinese clubs for the last couple of decades or so rather than a healthy competitive environment. It's hard to plan long-term when by the end of the year (or sooner), all your good players are gonna gently caress off to Ukraine. Not that European soccer isn't also cannibalistic, but we're kinda the bottom of the food chain and it shows.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Dias posted:

Brazilian soccer has also been a poaching ground for European/Chinese clubs for the last couple of decades or so rather than a healthy competitive environment. It's hard to plan long-term when by the end of the year (or sooner), all your good players are gonna gently caress off to Ukraine. Not that European soccer isn't also cannibalistic, but we're kinda the bottom of the food chain and it shows.

I was just going to ask how teams end up with stars for more than one or two seasons since the European sirens certainly come calling every time.

So it seems like atletico is just crazy, but what would you guys say the trophy ranks are? Like if a big team failed to qualify for the libertadores but won a state title and got to the semis of the copa do Brasil, would that be enough to keep the manager on?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
I thought state titles were lovely mickey mouse cups. Are they actually relevant at all?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
like is there a Maranhão (Portuguese pronunciation: [mɐɾɐˈɲɐ̃w]) cup that teams actually care about?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

I was just going to ask how teams end up with stars for more than one or two seasons since the European sirens certainly come calling every time.

So it seems like atletico is just crazy, but what would you guys say the trophy ranks are? Like if a big team failed to qualify for the libertadores but won a state title and got to the semis of the copa do Brasil, would that be enough to keep the manager on?

Depends on the state. Sao Paulo and Rio have more competitive state championships, so winning it is a bigger deal there. Of the serie A teams, the only teams with the same manager for longer than one year are Fortaleza, Internacional, Gremio, CSA, Cruzeiro and Avai. For Gremio and Cruzeiro, it's that they've won a libertadores and copa do brasil and 2 copa do brasil, respectively. For Internacional, Fortaleza, Avai and CSA, it's the fact that the coaches got their teams promoted from serie B (and in the case of internacional, got them into libertadores on the first year back up). Carille would likely have been a long time at Corinthians if he hadn't been lured away for a fortune.

This year, Atletico (because of the loss to Cerro Porteno in libertadores), Sao Paulo, Bahia, Chapecoense, Bahia, Botafogo, Ceara, Goias and Vasco (because they lost state championships) have fired their coaches.

In your scenario, failing to qualify to libertadores would likely doom managers from most major teams (because in Brazil normally top 6 or 7 or even 8 make it to libertadores ). There's an interesting site if you speak portuguese:

http://interativos.globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/especial/rotatividade-dos-tecnicos

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

advanced statsman posted:

I thought state titles were lovely mickey mouse cups. Are they actually relevant at all?

They are and they aren't. The only thing worse than winning a state championship is losing one, especially to your rival. So it's more about what that title represents and the moment the big clubs are living. If you're struggling and you beat another big club, one that is winning poo poo, for the title, it's actually valued quite a lot. If you win it but your rivals suck, that isn't gonna count for much if you underperform in big tournaments.

Something like the Maranhão state championship is actually very important for the local clubs because they're not top flight teams, so that's their Big One more often than not. They lose importance when you get to the powerhouse states (São Paulo, Rio, Rio Grande do Sul and Minas Gerais).

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
drat that was a lot of good info and now i know more about Brazilian football, thanks

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
didn't cruzeiro fire their manager after winning the brasileiro twice in a row?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Volkerball posted:

didn't cruzeiro fire their manager after winning the brasileiro twice in a row?

Yes, though that is strongly tied to the regional rivalry. After winning the second title in a row, Cruzeiro lost the copa do brasil finals to Atletico (losing both games), then the semifinals of the state championship to Atletico, and by the end of his tenure Atletico hadn't lost in 11 matches against cruzeiro, so cruzeiro fired him 4 days before the 12th try (and cruzeiro ended up winning that one). It was a boneheaded move by Cruzeiro, no doubt, and they paid the price. Fought against relegation for most of the 2015 league, saved at the end by Mano, and they would have kept Mano, but he got a better offer from abroad. So they put Mano's assistant (Deivid) in his place for the first half of 2016, and then when Mano quit his Chinese team he was hired back soon after.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

drat, is it already time for my yearly “Chilean teams are garbage” post? Because Christ, Chilean teams are garbage

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
yo what are your top picks for copa america? like, most teams don't look great this time around don't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Brazil and Uruguay seem to have most of their poo poo together in a footballing sense, so I’d imagine one of them.

Argentina of course are always in with a shout but the younger players, untested coach, and pressure to win something will probably lead to an exit to one of the more average team in the quarter/semi-finals