Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Bust Rodd posted:

so many of these words and terms cease to mean anything, but does Trump think that British citizens will in essence opt out of their own countries free universal health care for privatized health insurance from America?

well we are living in the era of stupid tbf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

new connor omally character is his most disturbing yet

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Relevant Tangent posted:

The party that responded Hell Yeah Bro! is in third and probably going to overtake the Tories. Corbyn's steadfast refusal to say Brexit is really dumb and we're not doing it means it's entirely possible Labor (better get used to the loss of your vowels now fuckers, we're stealing them for our hoard) loses yet again.

Thanks for this hot take, yankee fiend

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bust Rodd posted:

so many of these words and terms cease to mean anything, but does Trump think that British citizens will in essence opt out of their own countries free universal health care for privatized health insurance from America?

trump is insanely rich and insanely stupid of course he has no loving idea about anything

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/L__Macfarlane/s...ingawful.com%2F

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Lol go ahead prick, as if a single young person would do this even if you threatened them

Of course even the sniff of the idea will give their rapidly-turning-to-dust base a collective (medication assisted) boner, and that's all that really matters

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Bust Rodd posted:

the lifeless husk voting bloc will absolutely vote themselves out of free at the point of use healthcare if it means that Johnny Foreigner doesnt get to have any either.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If you actually listen to his proposal, it seems like a plan just to get teenagers to gently caress? Everybody at age 16 is gonna go on a camp for four weeks away from parental supervision.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

Lol go ahead prick, as if a single young person would do this even if you threatened them

Of course even the sniff of the idea will give their rapidly-turning-to-dust base a collective (medication assisted) boner, and that's all that really matters

It's a four week trip away from home to paint a mural or something. It would be like some kind of weird summer camp/spring break/birthright combo

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I keep sounding like a broken loving record but this was literally what Brexit was all about

Office Commando
Mar 23, 2005
The Invasion from Within

Gripweed posted:

It's a four week trip away from home to paint a mural or something. It would be like some kind of weird summer camp/spring break/birthright combo

a four week government-funded vacation as a teen to go do public beautification projects like murals kinda sounds like a dope idea if it was about making things nicer to look at and not some national pride bs.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Oh well there we go. Still shouldn't be mandatory but it sounds like a good way to get drunk, do drugs and gently caress in the country or whatever

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Bust Rodd posted:

Trump just opens his mouth and some president deals patter dribbles out - he doesn't know what he's talking about or what he's doing, and he doesn't care

The people who do know what they're doing want the NHS and its services to be opened up to private companies, so the NHS itself is less of a nationalised healthcare system and more of an administrator that funnels people and money to private companies. This has already been happening for a while - the guy who the Tories appointed to run NHS England is... someone who worked for United Healthcare, heading their international "push for more private healthcare" division, truly a safe pair of hands with what's best for the NHS in mind

This kind of poo poo is always framed in terms of "choice" and "efficiency" and "the NHS needs reform, it can't go on like this also it's all the immigrants' fault", and the key phrase is always "free at the point of use". Even with big protests a lot of people are happy to believe things will improve, they're getting "fairer", right until the whole thing falls into the hands of the private sector who'll do what they want with it - gatekeeping, insurance, minimum charges, you name it

But the key to the Starve the Beast strategy is the Tories need to under-resource the NHS so it fails while pretending they really really care about protecting it, it's a national institution. Trump's saying the quiet part loud which is why there was outrage and backpedalling - Farage doubling down is worrying cos it suggests it's getting ok to be open about privatising it. The UK is gonna sleepwalk into this if anything, everyone being told that any deal is good, actually

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

I keep sounding like a broken loving record but this was literally what Brexit was all about

The BBC are carrying an insane amount of water for brexit and farage which is one of the reasons for their popularity

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

We’re sending £350m a week to Brussels. Let’s spend that on dismantling the NHS instead.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Social community service for a couple of weeks has been part of the national curriculum in Holland and Germany forever, and probably in other European countries too. It's actually cool and good.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

oliwan posted:

Social community service for a couple of weeks has been part of the national curriculum in Holland and Germany forever, and probably in other European countries too. It's actually cool and good.

I thought they were getting rid of it in Germany for some reason

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

MikeCrotch posted:

It's expensive and hamstrings their military, since getting a national service kid killed would be wildly unpopular

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

MikeCrotch posted:

They suspended mandatory military service/civil service in 2011. It's still very common for people to do a voluntary year after school, though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the absolute loving state of britain

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't mean military service, but social community service which you have to do for a couple of weeks at age ~15.

Military service should never be mandatory obviously

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

whats britain's sovereign wealth fund like?

what other country has shares in their infrastructure?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1137384049226461184?s=20
Cross posting
Corbyn first act should literally to air all of trumps dirty laundry after declaring them a risk to national security

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lastgirl posted:

what other country has shares in their infrastructure?

Germany, Italy, Spain and France mostly

he's not entirely wrong about that part, it's the "let's sell the NHS too" which is rather nuts

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Private Speech posted:

Germany, Italy, Spain and France mostly

he's not entirely wrong about that part, it's the "let's sell the NHS too" which is rather nuts

what is a beanie baby op

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

oliwan posted:

what is a beanie baby op

a miracle toy

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

oliwan posted:

I never had to do this in holland?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey can someone fill on the blanks on my everyone thinks Corbyn is anti-Semitic? did he comment on the Islamophobic ethnostate of Israel and their treatment of Palestinian refugees and they spun it or did he actually bust out the “K” word in college or something?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lawman 0 posted:

Cross posting
Corbyn first act should literally to air all of trumps dirty laundry after declaring them a risk to national security

why is america meddling in british elections

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey can someone fill on the blanks on my everyone thinks Corbyn is anti-Semitic? did he comment on the Islamophobic ethnostate of Israel and their treatment of Palestinian refugees and they spun it or did he actually bust out the “K” word in college or something?

it's a bunch of liberal bullshit, frank

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Martin BadClixx posted:

I never had to do this in holland?

Well, it was introduced about ten years ago or so? Maybe 'forever' was a tad hyperbolic

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bust Rodd posted:

What does your heart tell you

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
someone overhead him in a nandos saying he's going to gas all the Jews if he ever becomes pm

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/08/jeremy-corbyn-to-drop-social-mobility-as-labour-goal

Hmmmm

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

Okay read the article

Not bad, but a bit liberal

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Eh, you could spin that either way as long as it's still in the early concept phase.

Pretty sure we're gonna get a lot of bad-faith "crab-bucket mentality" (or the relevant British version of it) articles about it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Taintrunner posted:

why is america meddling in british elections

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I think I may like this hombre

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Lawman 0 posted:

Cross posting

It would own.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Thanks for this hot take, yankee fiend

You'll all be speaking Cockney rhyming slang by 2050

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Bust Rodd posted:

He is insufficiently enthusiastic about dead Palestinian babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
By the way,

Years and Years is liberal claptrap beholden to the horseshoe theory.