Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't know if it counts as shipping when your protagonist is blatantly asexual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Blockhouse posted:

I don't know if it counts as shipping when your protagonist is blatantly asexual

:thejoke:

I laughed really hard at just about every stage of it.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I wonder what's going on with Hyoga and Homura. Did they get stoned too?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the continuing "we need to make kohaku look attractive and it's hard" thing is still weird when she's drawn the same as all the other girls. I guess that's in a lot of manga tho

lmao that kiss tho

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The cat face is funny as gently caress so keep it coming

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Ginrou's their only hope.

Welp, they're doomed.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Manatee Cannon posted:

the continuing "we need to make kohaku look attractive and it's hard" thing is still weird when she's drawn the same as all the other girls. I guess that's in a lot of manga tho

lmao that kiss tho

The vibe I got was less "she's not pretty and we gotta make her pretty" as much as "she's not hyper feminine(in a way that would attract the kind of gross weirdo who forcibly abducts women to join his harem) so we've got to make her pass as that".

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mikl posted:

Ginrou's their only hope.

Welp, they're doomed.

He just needs some doping and he'll be alright.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

kidcoelacanth posted:

The cat face is funny as gently caress so keep it coming

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kanos posted:

The vibe I got was less "she's not pretty and we gotta make her pretty" as much as "she's not hyper feminine(in a way that would attract the kind of gross weirdo who forcibly abducts women to join his harem) so we've got to make her pass as that".

Yeah, I got the same. If she didn't have any actual beauty, there'd be no point in trying. The problem is that her personality is basically the exact opposite of what they'd need for a spy here and she needs some makeover because she's going for effectiveness over looks and that just won't do right now.

This plan is almost definitely doomed to fail either way. They'll get Kohaku in but she'll fly off the handle the moment anything goes wrong.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Solid Suika

This is great.

Those cards. :D I'd give a proper Dr Stone Gacha game at least a try.

Good to see Ukyo and Ryusui both taking immediate action.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Suika is the greatest combo of adorable and badass.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I like the universal acknowledgment that Ginrou sucks

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

I like the universal acknowledgment that Ginrou sucks

Even the new girl is clearly aware of his suckitude.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I will genuinely accept Senku as evil and Tsukasa as being in the right if he ever brings gacha into the new world.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Suika is clearly SSR tier. I'm glad this manga has its facts straight.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Lmao

"There's someone left alive on the ship! Who is it?

... It's Ginrou :negative:"

The hope > despair transition was super funny.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

I will genuinely accept Senku as evil and Tsukasa as being in the right if he ever brings gacha into the new world.

Looking forward to Tsukasa unthawing and finding out Senku brought back the internet and Twitter already or something.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I’m still expecting the spear guy and the other prisoner to break out and end up helping Senku. Though if the petrification sphere reached underwater it probably covered the whole ship.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mikl posted:

Lmao

"There's someone left alive on the ship! Who is it?

... It's Ginrou :negative:"

The hope > despair transition was super funny.

hey man ginrou tries his be-

well he tri-

well he's present on the ship at this point in time

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

amigolupus posted:

Looking forward to Tsukasa unthawing and finding out Senku brought back the internet and Twitter already or something.

@Senku is a Nazi

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

senku hires corrupt cops

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So thinking about the petrification weapon as we've seen it now, I think I have an idea about it and the greater Petrification wave.

So it seems completely inert before being used. That is to say: It's not some kind of radioactive rock that's constantly giving off the petrification effect. Since we've seen that the effect can pass through basically any surface it's unlikely that the pouch it's carried in can somehow block it to allow for transport and even if it were the effect would propagate as soon as it were opened, leaving no time to throw it. This current village is also stone aged like Ishigami Village making a technologically based weapon unlikely. It would probably have already broken and/or they wouldn't know what it was or how to use it. They'd have to have seen it's effects in some kind of naturally occurring scenario. Like it falling and hitting something and activating, or being struck while carving/digging.

Which means... The Piezoelectric Effect.

Basically, it's materials that give off a charge when broken or struck. Like quartz in watches or radios. So my idea is that the rope attached to it doesn't just serve as a means of retracting the weapon after use, but also as a way of activating it. The procedure being: Throw, let travel, then snap it back to give a shock to activate the effect.

Now for some evidence that I see of this being the case. There's not much since we've only seen the thing used twice: Once in the flashback to when Amaryllis was trying to escape and in the flashback to when the Perseus was attacked.

From Amaryllis's flashback (chapter 106 page 9):

The weapon traveled in an arc but doesn't activate until the panel shown above, and the rope has a few "shock" visual markers on it. It's glowing right before that, but not activating. Also we can see from this chapter, and others, that the petrification wave doesn't seem to impart any force to the surroundings. No waves are created by it in the water, no one is knocked back from it hitting them, so the shock marks probably aren't from the petrification wave being emitted.

From the splash page of chapter 107:

Assuming this is a deliberate representation of how the weapon is stored, that looks like a slip knot, which would allow for a sharper "snap" once the weapon is at it's full distance as the loop part is pulled through the rest of the knot. Again, could just be a random drawing, but with the previous example I think that's what's going on.

From the Perseus flashback (chapter 108 page 5):

When the weapon is thrown, everyone is already reacting to it and Ukyo gets a shot off on it BEFORE it had reached it's full arc, but even then it goes off IMMEDIATELY AFTER IT WAS HIT. Also notice that in the preceding pages, unlike in chapter 106, it hadn't started to glow yet, meaning it wasn't already about to go off just yet.

Granted that's all I have for this idea, but what is there seems consistent. What does this mean for the larger petrification event? Well I think it was a meteor. The preceding events to the main petrification wave was a bunch of birds being petrified. I'm thinking this was caused by small micro-meteorites that either hit them or hit near them, going off in a proportionally small petrification wave, and leaving just one or a few birds turned to stone.

As for why just birds being affected: Maybe it wasn't just birds, it was just birds being found easily. They might get his while flying as the activated wave travels through the air, then their momentum carrying them towards populated areas, while other wildlife just get hit on the ground, fall over, and are hidden in the brush. Then the main meteor finally hits and sets off the mega wave that covers the whole earth.

That would mean there are fragments of the meteor around to be found, then if messed with enough someone figures out what they do and makes one into a weapon. The weapon being vaguely piezoelectric also makes sense for a reusable weapon that doesn't need charging, or a limited supply of it that is slowly used up and has to be rationed for emergency use. The activation method being grounded in a scientific phenomena is also extremely on brand for the series.

Granted this means there's potentially no final "big bad" for the SenKrew to find and face off against, but I kinda think that fits the story as well. It's not about a major villain, but regular humans and human nature in the face of catastrophe.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I do want to remind you that the petrification wave only affected one species of birds and humans.

Its got to be manmade/alien in origin.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Crain posted:

So thinking about the petrification weapon as we've seen it now, I think I have an idea about it and the greater Petrification wave.

So it seems completely inert before being used. That is to say: It's not some kind of radioactive rock that's constantly giving off the petrification effect. Since we've seen that the effect can pass through basically any surface it's unlikely that the pouch it's carried in can somehow block it to allow for transport and even if it were the effect would propagate as soon as it were opened, leaving no time to throw it. This current village is also stone aged like Ishigami Village making a technologically based weapon unlikely. It would probably have already broken and/or they wouldn't know what it was or how to use it. They'd have to have seen it's effects in some kind of naturally occurring scenario. Like it falling and hitting something and activating, or being struck while carving/digging.

Which means... The Piezoelectric Effect.

Basically, it's materials that give off a charge when broken or struck. Like quartz in watches or radios. So my idea is that the rope attached to it doesn't just serve as a means of retracting the weapon after use, but also as a way of activating it. The procedure being: Throw, let travel, then snap it back to give a shock to activate the effect.

Now for some evidence that I see of this being the case. There's not much since we've only seen the thing used twice: Once in the flashback to when Amaryllis was trying to escape and in the flashback to when the Perseus was attacked.

From Amaryllis's flashback (chapter 106 page 9):

The weapon traveled in an arc but doesn't activate until the panel shown above, and the rope has a few "shock" visual markers on it. It's glowing right before that, but not activating. Also we can see from this chapter, and others, that the petrification wave doesn't seem to impart any force to the surroundings. No waves are created by it in the water, no one is knocked back from it hitting them, so the shock marks probably aren't from the petrification wave being emitted.

From the splash page of chapter 107:

Assuming this is a deliberate representation of how the weapon is stored, that looks like a slip knot, which would allow for a sharper "snap" once the weapon is at it's full distance as the loop part is pulled through the rest of the knot. Again, could just be a random drawing, but with the previous example I think that's what's going on.

From the Perseus flashback (chapter 108 page 5):

When the weapon is thrown, everyone is already reacting to it and Ukyo gets a shot off on it BEFORE it had reached it's full arc, but even then it goes off IMMEDIATELY AFTER IT WAS HIT. Also notice that in the preceding pages, unlike in chapter 106, it hadn't started to glow yet, meaning it wasn't already about to go off just yet.

Granted that's all I have for this idea, but what is there seems consistent. What does this mean for the larger petrification event? Well I think it was a meteor. The preceding events to the main petrification wave was a bunch of birds being petrified. I'm thinking this was caused by small micro-meteorites that either hit them or hit near them, going off in a proportionally small petrification wave, and leaving just one or a few birds turned to stone.

As for why just birds being affected: Maybe it wasn't just birds, it was just birds being found easily. They might get his while flying as the activated wave travels through the air, then their momentum carrying them towards populated areas, while other wildlife just get hit on the ground, fall over, and are hidden in the brush. Then the main meteor finally hits and sets off the mega wave that covers the whole earth.

That would mean there are fragments of the meteor around to be found, then if messed with enough someone figures out what they do and makes one into a weapon. The weapon being vaguely piezoelectric also makes sense for a reusable weapon that doesn't need charging, or a limited supply of it that is slowly used up and has to be rationed for emergency use. The activation method being grounded in a scientific phenomena is also extremely on brand for the series.

Granted this means there's potentially no final "big bad" for the SenKrew to find and face off against, but I kinda think that fits the story as well. It's not about a major villain, but regular humans and human nature in the face of catastrophe.

I don't think it works this way, but this gave me an idea:

The bag they are throwing isn't what's causing the petrification, but just a trigger.
What's causing the petrification is already everywhere: Nanomachines. The lightball is just the machines reacting. The petrification however is only started in compatible organisms. Amaryllis had to rip her hair off to keep the rest of the nanomachines from activating.

This also explains the healing effect.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 8, 2019

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Ineffiable posted:

I do want to remind you that the petrification wave only affected one species of birds and humans.

Its got to be manmade/alien in origin.

I touched on that. They didn't say it ONLY affected birds. Just that birds were the first thing found petrified. And if you go back to the page that showed it (chapter 1 page 20) it's explicitly a bird statue that FELL from the sky after being petrified and it was the day of the petrification wave. They do mention that other areas were seeing a similar phenomenon but again, Birds are just what they found first in the days before the petrification, not that it was ONLY birds. They're just the most noticeable because they would fall out of the sky.

EDIT: Chapter 43 has the next mention of Swallows being petrified, and it being a world wide phenomenon. If it were a single individual doing it they'd most likely not be traveling the world targeting birds. Senku also mentions that the number of birds being petrified is proportional to the actual bird populations, which again points against it being a targeted attack. It being a natural event that has a statistical chance of affecting a population is more likely given that statement instead of some dude/group going out and saying "today in Germany we will petrify XYZ swallows, which given the population here of CVB swallows would make it a consistent W% of the population like the other areas we hit".

Plus Swallows tend to nest in dense colonies near human populations making them more likely to both be affected and be found afterwards by humans.

Also on chapter 1 page 12 the panel showing the petrification wave looks exactly like a meteor impact.

In Chapter 15 page 9, Senku himself also starts to theorize whether or not the petrification itself was even a manmade "attack".

Also a cool thing I found going back through: Senku's "Einstein" pose for the Journalist was a call back to an early chapter splash page:

Lurking Haro posted:

I don't think it works this way, but this gave me an idea:

The bag they are throwing isn't what's causing the petrification, but just a trigger.
What's causing the petrification is already everywhere: Nanomachines. The lightball is just the machines reacting. The petrification however is only started in compatible organisms. Amaryllis had to rip her hair off to keep the rest of the nanomachines from activating.

This also explains the healing effect.

I think nano-machines are bit too far tech for the series so far. It's so far been based in modern day tech and not future sci-fi tropes.

Crain fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 8, 2019

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I don't know if you read an early translation or something but in the English official translation they do mention it was specifically sparrows.

Even during the first petrification wave, you can see no dogs were affected. It's targeted at humans in some way and senki has a theory that the sparrows was an experiment.

I didn't say it was affecting only birds and humans. I said it affected only one species of birds (sparrow) and humans. That's intelligent design there.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 8, 2019

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

I don't know if you read an early translation or something but in the English official translation they do mention it was specifically sparrows.

Even during the first petrification wave, you can see no dogs were affected. It's targeted at humans in some way and senki has a theory that the sparrows was an experiment.

I didn't say it was affecting only birds and humans. I said it affected only one species of birds (sparrow) and humans. That's intelligent design there.

Ok, that's a good point. Going back trying to find the chapter I vaguely remembered about Senku looking at reports of birds being hit world wide I saw the post petrification scenes where people's dogs were barking at their petrified owners. Do you remember what chapter Senku mentions it might have been a trial test on sparrows?

And yeah I don't have access to the official translations beyond the free chapters on Jump's Manga+. The scans on ReadMS and Mangadex translate it as Swallows. Either Swallows/Sparrows works for them being the most likely to be found since both nest in colonies and near/on buildings.

But the fact that it was world wide makes it seem weird to me. If it were localized to just one area that'd be one thing, but in chapter 43 Senku remarks that it's worldwide and proportional to the populations in those areas.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Crain posted:

Ok, that's a good point. Going back trying to find the chapter I vaguely remembered about Senku looking at reports of birds being hit world wide I saw the post petrification scenes where people's dogs were barking at their petrified owners. Do you remember what chapter Senku mentions it might have been a trial test on sparrows?

And yeah I don't have access to the official translations beyond the free chapters on Jump's Manga+. The scans on ReadMS and Mangadex translate it as Swallows. Either Swallows/Sparrows works for them being the most likely to be found since both nest in colonies and near/on buildings.

But the fact that it was world wide makes it seem weird to me. If it were localized to just one area that'd be one thing, but in chapter 43 Senku remarks that it's worldwide and proportional to the populations in those areas.

When I get some time later today, I'll try to get you the chapter/page numbers. I'm pretty sure it's in the first volume. Might even be the same page where he comes up with his three theories.

Sparrows (or let's just say birds in general) aren't as close to genetic makeup so why would it affect only those and humans?

In some way, there has to ba an intelligent design. And the sparrow was just the prelude to the 'design' being turned on for humans.

And they even mentioned in a side note that the monkeys/lions they encounter in the first volume have to be descentdents of the ones from the zoo.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Crain posted:

One thing I'm kinda sad they dropped so early is the concept of animals in the Stone World being completely different to animals in our time. Like cats or dogs must have gone completely feral since there's no human left to domesticate them, for starters.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

When I get some time later today, I'll try to get you the chapter/page numbers. I'm pretty sure it's in the first volume. Might even be the same page where he comes up with his three theories.

Sparrows (or let's just say birds in general) aren't as close to genetic makeup so why would it affect only those and humans?

In some way, there has to ba an intelligent design. And the sparrow was just the prelude to the 'design' being turned on for humans.

And they even mentioned in a side note that the monkeys/lions they encounter in the first volume have to be descentdents of the ones from the zoo.

Yeah, so greater theory of it being a meteor/purely natural phenomena is out.

I still think the weapon might be some kind of piezoelectric rock. Maybe manufactured to affect humans in that way and the big wave was just a stockpile being set off all at once.

But then the question is: "how is part of it on the island?"

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

A piezoelectric rock alone wouldn't explain why only humans are affected or the big lightball.
I agree that it's likely a mechanical device in the bag.

If it's a signal that is being transmitted through nanomachines, it would also explain why the people on the ISS weren't petrified.

This still leaves the question how the swallows got petrified without a lightball. They might be naturally exposed to the trigger while flying.

Someone on the island just stumbled upon the trigger, probably got themselves petrified and someone else uses it for power.

As for nanomachines going too far: we have the whole of mankind petrified for thousands of years, leaving everything else besides Swallows untouched.
Saying it is some kind of petrifying ray is going more against the science theme of the series.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

A piezoelectric rock alone wouldn't explain why only humans are affected or the big lightball.
I agree that it's likely a mechanical device in the bag.

If it's a signal that is being transmitted through nanomachines, it would also explain why the people on the ISS weren't petrified.

This still leaves the question how the swallows got petrified without a lightball. They might be naturally exposed to the trigger while flying.

Someone on the island just stumbled upon the trigger, probably got themselves petrified and someone else uses it for power.

As for nanomachines going too far: we have the whole of mankind petrified for thousands of years, leaving everything else besides Swallows untouched.
Saying it is some kind of petrifying ray is going more against the science theme of the series.

Yeah that's fair. While the "science!" part of the series is grounded, the premise is extremely not.

As for the weapon being a piezoelectric rock, that could have been the thing that was manufactured. But at that point it doesn't account for the swallows/sparrows early on.

I just don't want nano-machines : (

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Okay so, chapter 14, vol 2, page 7 (the page right after senku's three theories of alien attack, rogue nation, or new virus) Senku says 'the one fact I can be sure of is that only sparrows and humans were targeted specifically.'

I also went back and read a fangroup translation, and they use swallow, so clearly there is an intent to say that this petrification affected just one type of bird. The swallow/sparrow must have been a test and then it was an accident or malice that whatever the source is/was, was used on humans.

I'll edit if I find any specific examples later on. Before all of humanity gets petrified in the first big light, we see taju and yuzuhara both found the same kind of bird turned to stone.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 8, 2019

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I'm betting sparrows were the real target and humanity was just effected by accident.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I think It's a photo sensitive powder that's deployed when the bag is yanked and opened. Being a light powder would also it to travel the winds and do the whole world unlike throwing rocks everywhere.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Okay so, chapter 14, vol 2, page 7 (the page right after senku's three theories of alien attack, rogue nation, or new virus) Senku says 'the one fact I can be sure of is that only sparrows and humans were targeted specifically.'

I also went back and read a fangroup translation, and they use swallow, so clearly there is an intent to say that this petrification affected just one type of bird. The swallow/sparrow must have been a test and then it was an accident or malice that whatever the source is/was, was used on humans.

I'll edit if I find any specific examples later on. Before all of humanity gets petrified in the first big light, we see taju and yuzuhara both found the same kind of bird turned to stone.

Swallows is correct.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Darth TNT posted:

I think It's a photo sensitive powder that's deployed when the bag is yanked and opened. Being a light powder would also it to travel the winds and do the whole world unlike throwing rocks everywhere.

It is able to spread the same distance underwater as in the air, which neither light or low density matter is able to do so I am not so sure about that theory. One thing for sure is whatever causes the petrification stops being effective quickly because we saw how short of time everyone had to react.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sextro posted:

I'm betting sparrows were the real target and humanity was just effected by accident.

Oh my god The maoists did it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh my god The maoists did it

Lmao that deep dig.