Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
I am ALL IN on Shin Godzilla breaking the EVAs like toys and essentially killing the audience to get Ghidorah's attention for a power ballad duo or whatever is going on in that holy poo poo.

Please that. Please more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kill the Evas and let some real monsters fight. Godzilla picks up the big spear and bites it in half and then levels the planet to save us from depressed teenagers. A true hero.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
KOTM made me want to go re-watch some of the old flicks again.

Which ones are best dubbed and which are best subbed?

Not "which are good vs bad movies", just what's the best way to experience the dialog for each?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Ferrinus posted:

I loved KotM, but it's a little more thematically muddled than - or at least discordant with - the 2014 movie, since suddenly nuclear families are really important rather than dangerous distractions.

Yeah, 2014's "you have to willing to sacrifice yourself and your family to save the world" is much more impressive than KotM's "you have to be willing to sacrifice yourself and the world to save your family"

I didn't love this as much as Godzilla 2014, but it was still a lot of fun.

catching up on thread topics; oh goons I love you, but with so much exposition how can y'all get do confused about character motivation?? And Mothra totally messed those taser guys up, being thrown 20 feet into rock by a giant monster!

Dr Rick&Morty didn't even bother me as much as I thought he might. Definitely annoying, but he's a nerd scientist so it kinda fit. Imagine how much worse it could have been if this was a Disney joint!

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Annath posted:

Not "which are good vs bad movies", just what's the best way to experience the dialog for each?

In my opinion I would try to find subbed versions wherever possible. I think a lot of the time when people recommend the dubs they are doing so because they either grew up with that version or like to have Godzilla films on in the background.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Annath posted:

I did this earlier in the thread but let's let it go again!

In order

Gojira 1954 is only subbed
Godzilla King of the Monsters 1956 is only dubbed
Godzilla Raids Again: Subbed, the dub is atrocious
King Kong VS Godzilla: Sub is longer, dub has additional human scenes, they're comparable
Godzilla VS Mothra 1964: Dub is superior. The translation is good for the time and it has extra Godzilla fighting the military scenes not in the Japanese version
Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster: Dub is the better cut of the two films. Translation isn't as accurate but the editing is better
Monster Zero: Dub is better, flat out
Sea Monster: One of the dubs is equivalent to the subs though there is a more obscure one that's real lovely
Son of Godzilla: Equivalent
Destroy All Monsters: Equivalent
Godzilla's Revenge: How bad do you want Minya to sound? Like a barney or a screechy thing?
Smog Monster: Equivalent
Gigan: Dub has Godzilla and Angirus talking to each other and a lot of cursing so it's hilarious
Megalon: MST3K version
MechaGodzilla 74: I have a soft spot for the dub and the bad Russian accents. Also, BEAT GODZILLA TO DEATH is such a badass line.
Terror of MG: Sub is better here.
Return of Godzilla: Sub is better
Godzilla 1985: Only dubbed. There's a fan edit of this and Return that is pretty fantastic though, keeps the best elements of both.
Heisei Era: All of the dubs here are roughly equivalent to the subbed versions. They're not the best dubs ever, Rodan being called Radon grates my nerves, but generally do whatever you feel here.
Godzilla 2000 is better dubbed than Subbed. Shorter, better edited.
Godzilla VS Megagirus is whatever.
GMK is better subbed.
GXMG and Tokyo SOS is better subbed, if you can find true subs and not just dub-titles.
Final Wars is best subbed.

Shin Godzilla, in my opinion, works best subbed if only for the Engrish that comes up.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CRAYON posted:

In my opinion I would try to find subbed versions wherever possible. I think a lot of the time when people recommend the dubs they are doing so because they either grew up with that version or like to have Godzilla films on in the background.

I will loving fist fight you on this, don't you fill his head with those lies.

Ghidorah's dub is categorically better not for the dub itself, but because of the editing.

It fixes so many confusing things in the Japanese original that the DIRECTOR HIMSELF prefers the American cut of the film, and recut the Japanese version in its style for a film festival.

And well I just made a whole post going over every single one of them so blar

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Burkion posted:

It fixes so many confusing things in the Japanese original that the DIRECTOR HIMSELF prefers the American cut of the film, and recut the Japanese version in its style for a film festival.

Wow, really? That's a first.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Thanks for the info!

I have most of the movies ripped to my Plex server, but I haven't watched some of them in years, so it'll be fun to go back.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Annath posted:

Honestly, if you watch the following four movies, you have assimilated the best of the franchise:

Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (1956)
Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964)
Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965)

For bonus points, watch Rodan (1956) and Mothra (1961).

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The lack of G vs Hedorah in that list is :colbert:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Absolute truth.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

(That’s Smog Monster)

E: poo poo, I thought you were referring to the dub/sub list. Ignore me.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also on Ghidorah, an important thing to remember is that it was churned out in the same year as Godzilla VS Mothra 64. It literally came out just a few months later.

Its production is one of the most rushed of all the movies, so the editing suffered a lot. The American cut of the film greatly tightened it up because they had more time to work with the footage.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

Most cases I would favor subs because the US versions often have some alterations, but I feel like Monster Zero is better dubbed. You get all of Nick Adams’ performance that way.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Burkion posted:

Also on Ghidorah, an important thing to remember is that it was churned out in the same year as Godzilla VS Mothra 64. It literally came out just a few months later.

Its production is one of the most rushed of all the movies, so the editing suffered a lot. The American cut of the film greatly tightened it up because they had more time to work with the footage.

I dislike what they do with the music, though- the US version doesn’t have that great bit with Rodan’s theme kicking in as he fades in from the sky during Godzilla’s landing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

I dislike what they do with the music, though- the US version doesn’t have that great bit with Rodan’s theme kicking in as he fades in from the sky during Godzilla’s landing.

See this is a case where the movie is superior in one version, but the actual audio is not.

The differences between Venus/Mars and some other stuff is legendary, but the music alteration is also an issue.

Basically with that one it's not a clear cut answer. If you want the best 'cut' of the film, check the dub. If you want the music and more true translation, check the sub.

I wish they released the Japanese cut that was re-edited like the American version but with subs and the original Japanese track, but much like the mythical Monster Zero cut where Nick Adams speaks English and everyone else speaks Japanese, it'll never happen.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Burkion posted:

Final Wars is best subbed.

You miss out on the best line in the entire franchise if you watch it subbed.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Beamed posted:

You miss out on the best line in the entire franchise if you watch it subbed.

Yes but you also miss so much stupid bullshit of Don Frey staring at Japanese people shouting Japanese at him that he cannot possibly understand

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Rewatching as many as I can manage to get in order, and as I go, also watching for whichever one I saw on tv in the early 2000’s that helped me with a sad and lonely afternoon. I’ll know it when I see it, it was on some monster movie classics channel I think. Barely remember it though.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jimbot posted:

Hello friends, we the Dredd community welcome you to the box office disappointment club. At least Godzilla got 3 films out of this. Dredd didn't even get a goddamn sequel despite it doing really well on Blu-ray.

They already filmed the fourth one so there will be another regardless. Additionally, who gives a poo poo. How many series produce 5+ good movies anyway

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Just saw this and absolutely loved it. My inner 12 year old was running wild laughing the whole time.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

If all you know about Bradley Whitford is his quippy turn in KotM, or if you like him but want to get the taste of that performance out of your mind, check him out in The Handmaid's Tale. Jesus he's good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Blood Boils posted:

Yeah, 2014's "you have to willing to sacrifice yourself and your family to save the world" is much more impressive than KotM's "you have to be willing to sacrifice yourself and the world to save your family"

I didn't love this as much as Godzilla 2014, but it was still a lot of fun.

catching up on thread topics; oh goons I love you, but with so much exposition how can y'all get do confused about character motivation?? And Mothra totally messed those taser guys up, being thrown 20 feet into rock by a giant monster!

Dr Rick&Morty didn't even bother me as much as I thought he might. Definitely annoying, but he's a nerd scientist so it kinda fit. Imagine how much worse it could have been if this was a Disney joint!

I think it's not as dissonant as it seems if you go by SMG's reading; the nuclear family is just looking solely out for your mate and your kids and being willing to obliterate everything else to do so, which is basically the foundation of why society is so hosed up, while the end of the movie has GI Joe looking up at Godzilla having been briefly personally acknowledged by the mountain-sized lizard and realising that to protect that family he needs to also accept that he is part of the larger family of life on Earth, which includes Godzilla. (not to mention the whole thing with Godzilla emerging not long after Walter White's death) The MUTOs are literally furnishing their home with the bomb that will destroy them and their children, these movies are both heavily allegorical and not very subtle.

I think you're meant to consider the divorced family in KotM as an allegory for the wider world and that humanity has to restore the relationship it once had with the kaiju, as seen with the great aquatic ruins laying forgotten in the Hollow Earth that are Godzilla's home and heat rock. Humanity is divided between those who treat Godzilla and his like as threats to be destroyed, as weapons to be used, or animals to be dispassionately studied, but realise over the movie that none of those are correct; they are thinking beings with awareness and agency that must be engaged with actively. All of these viewpoints (and even the ones who do believe in engagement) are shocked by Ghidorah, as none consider that the kaiju can be so much like humanity as to have bad faith actors among them who have active, personal agendas to destroy and reshape the world solely for their own benefit. Or specifically; the ecoterrorist guy wants to let the kaiju loose to rampage and believes humanity will probably survive and be forced to change, or be wiped our, either way he believes it will create a world he sees as better; Ghidorah wants the same thing, but he doesn't care about taking Earth 'back' to how it was, he wants to impose an entirely new order where it's unlikely even most of the Kaiju will survive, let alone humanity.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Hello friends. I have just watched the new movie Godzilla: King of the Monsters. On what page of this thread does the discussion start?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hand Knit posted:

Hello friends. I have just watched the new movie Godzilla: King of the Monsters. On what page of this thread does the discussion start?

Around page 170 is when the earliest trip reports and direct movie discussion starts coming up.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Still waiting for Godzilla vs. Clifford the Big Red Dog.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hand Knit posted:

Going tomorrow and very interested to hear your thoughts

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just saw Rodan for the first time and enjoyed it. Loved the mining community focus.
The copy on Archive.org looks great.

edit: It was weird that the bug monster was just dropped from the story. I'd have thought it was building to a confrontation between them after the Rodan ate all it's babies.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 9, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I said come in! posted:

Still waiting for Godzilla vs. Clifford the Big Red Dog.
that happened a year or two ago, it was called Rampage

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just saw Rodan for the first time and enjoyed it. Loved the mining community focus.
The copy on Archive.org looks great.

edit: It was weird that the bug monster was just dropped from the story. I'd have thought it was building to a confrontation between them after the Rodan ate all it's babies.

We eventually get that, sort of

Godzilla VS Megagirus has the adult of the species, mutated, fighting Godzilla

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

The aligator from that one kind of made up for Angiras not being in KotM if you ask me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

That was actually a good movie.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah rampage was a ton(or...many, many tons, dohoho) of fun. it didn't take itself seriously at all and was better for it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I had a random thought about how amazing a Godzilla movie would be if Guillermo del Toro collaborated with Toho and had his production crew help design the suit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Motion capture seems to be a decent compromise between suits and CGI.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I saw KOTM for the second time today because I got $8 off from buying Kong Skull Island. I really enjoyed it both times but I don't actually recommend it to anyone because I feel like it is so specifically made for people who like a particular form of Godzilla movies. Whoever it was that made the joke about it being Showa with Heisei characteristics nailed it. It is weird to me that the studio actually thought this would do particularly well in the US.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Is King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962) available for streaming anywhere in the US?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFAVp6i5dlU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Someone in this thread posted a fascinating article about the 1998 Godzilla film, that described the creature designer and I believe Emmerich unveiling their proposed design for the creature in front ofToho execs. Followed by one minute of total silence.

I though I had bookmarked this but now I can’t find it. Does anyone know what I’m talking about?

e: found it

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2015/05/31/godzilla-unmade-the-history-of-jan-de-bonts-unproduced-tristar-film-part-4-of-4/

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 9, 2019