Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

This was posted in the right wing media thread, highly relevant here:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/06/08/technology/youtube-radical.html

https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/1137363172287963137

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

FMguru posted:

I've seen it suggested that the casual hard liquor drinking business culture of the post-war Mad Men years (wet bars in offices, three-martini lunches, etc) was in large part driven by WWII vets self-medicating their PTSD.

We'd have learned a lot more about life if we'd read Slaughterhouse Five and Catch-22 instead of Red Badge of Courage and All Quiet on the Western Front as our War Is Bad books in high school. Something that shows the effect war has on the survivors.

Also to remind people what actual censorship challenges look like.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Flesh Forge posted:

Just a reminder of who Katie McHugh is:

https://twitter.com/DesignPolice/status/1123765146780884992

No comment on her being raped at whatever point but keep in mind who this person is and how she got where she is now.

That is a comment on her being raped tho, there's an implication that if she hadn't been a Nazi it wouldn't have happened to her and thus it's her fault for being a Nazi

I think she sucks rear end and is faking being reformed but uh it's still mega hosed up if even a fraction of what she's saying is true and that shouldn't happen to anyone

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Syd Midnight posted:

We'd have learned a lot more about life if we'd read Slaughterhouse Five and Catch-22 instead of Red Badge of Courage and All Quiet on the Western Front as our War Is Bad books in high school. Something that shows the effect war has on the survivors.

Also to remind people what actual censorship challenges look like.

All Quiet on the Western Front is really good tho

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

And it has a much less well-known sequel, The Road Back, in which Remarque follows the survivors of 2nd company after the war in their struggles to reintegrate with German society.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

i agree with you, but i also agree that slaughterhouse-5 and catch 22 are better then it

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

i agree with you, but i also agree that slaughterhouse-5 and catch 22 are better then it

The catch-22 film 70s era adaptation is up on Amazon prime.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

mandatory lesbian posted:

I don't think most high schoolers would really get the underlying criticism in Catch 22, and instead be caught up in the wacky stuff and wonder why the madcap antics concerning chocolate covered cotton and Major Major and the rest are broken up with ghastly bits like Snowden's death and whatnot.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

That is a comment on her being raped tho, there's an implication that if she hadn't been a Nazi it wouldn't have happened to her and thus it's her fault for being a Nazi

I think she sucks rear end and is faking being reformed but uh it's still mega hosed up if even a fraction of what she's saying is true and that shouldn't happen to anyone

Not going to victim blame, but if she wants to be counted as a human again she's going to have to do a hell of a lot more to make up for the damage that she caused by promoting racist violence. As it stands I just wish she'd go the gently caress away and never be heard from again.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

alex jones has done far more good than bad in this world waking people up to the violence and the lies of the fascist international power structure. my point is proven

Stop smoking sumthin, bitch.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

Not going to victim blame, but if she wants to be counted as a human again she's going to have to do a hell of a lot more to make up for the damage that she caused by promoting racist violence. As it stands I just wish she'd go the gently caress away and never be heard from again.

Yeah, her whole "I left the alt right and you should too" thing smacks not a little of her being unhappy the gravy train ended rather than any actual sincere reconsideration and regret of her own actions, particularly given how conspicuously absent are any sincere or precise statement of remorse for those she herself victimized.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I don't think most high schoolers would really get the underlying criticism in Catch 22, and instead be caught up in the wacky stuff and wonder why the madcap antics concerning chocolate covered cotton and Major Major and the rest are broken up with ghastly bits like Snowden's death and whatnot.

I still remember the actual gut punch feeling of reading that book and getting to the party in Rome and that whole section just did a number on me. I haven't been able to read the book a second time, it just...

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Zeroisanumber posted:

I doubt I’ll ever be on the “they’re not human beings” train (that’s a digression I’ll leave for another place or time) but at the very least I can easily admit any sympathy I might feel for her is smothered by everything she’s done and the fact she’s been pretty unrepentant about it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

She’s made her bed and will die in it from not being able to afford insulin, but if she gets some rapists killed before she goes blind and loses her foot, I’m all for it.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
This is the disgusting "I'm against prison rape but if it happens to $bad_person I don't care"

Stop it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Harik posted:

This is the disgusting "I'm against prison rape but if it happens to $bad_person I don't care"

Stop it.

What can you do about someone who did it to herself? Don’t joke about people suffering in prison because prisons shouldn’t exist, but all these nazis dig their own graves and jump right in.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What can you do about someone who did it to herself? Don’t joke about people suffering in prison because prisons shouldn’t exist, but all these nazis dig their own graves and jump right in.
I can laugh when a clansman lights himself on fire burning a cross. That's funny, and directly related to the hate they're spreading.

Maybe if she was in the "women should all be raped (but not me I'm one of the good ones oh god the leopards)" group there'd be some dark irony to it but really you're just treating rape as a punishment for people you disagree with. Which is some really evil just-world poo poo.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

if anything I'm *more* likely to believe in her reform now that we know a concrete reason why she left besides the money running out

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Harik posted:

I can laugh when a clansman lights himself on fire burning a cross. That's funny, and directly related to the hate they're spreading.

Maybe if she was in the "women should all be raped (but not me I'm one of the good ones oh god the leopards)" group there'd be some dark irony to it but really you're just treating rape as a punishment for people you disagree with. Which is some really evil just-world poo poo.

I wasn’t under the impression that people were mocking her for being raped, but were remarking on her starving as a pariah. Yes, it’s not good at all to mock anyone for being raped because that reinforces dangerous ideas about rape and victimization that end up hurting actual people, the same as joking about people suffering in prison.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
C-SPAM: it means "central spam" > the sad altright: is rape good if it happens to out political enemies [debate thread]

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Who was that dipshit in this thread that said youtube wasn't and shouldn't be a big deal for leftists. It's like the biggest loving platform of indoctrination and far-right disinformation and one of the, if not the, greatest threat that exists online to spreading the ideology of facsism.

I've had my friend's 12 year old kid ask me if I knew that women were intellectually inferior to men. Where did he learn that? Youtube video.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Bedshaped posted:

Who was that dipshit in this thread that said youtube wasn't and shouldn't be a big deal for leftists. It's like the biggest loving platform of indoctrination and far-right disinformation and one of the, if not the, greatest threat that exists online to spreading the ideology of facsism.

I've had my friend's 12 year old kid ask me if I knew that women were intellectually inferior to men. Where did he learn that? Youtube video.

Silly Hyena or maybe kerning chameleon, the luddites blend together to me.

Did you ask him how it felt to be intellectually inferior since he fell for obvious bullshit so quickly?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Which leaves out the whole thing where Nazis specifically prey on people who are hdisnefranchised and miserable and lure them in and then they're stuck there because they're a Nazi now and society hates them which binds them closer together and so on

This is literally the prison rape argument, "if you don't like it don't be a criminal"

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

lol, destiny in a nyt article. some are gonna love that

https://twitter.com/FarLeftWatch/status/1133390065466527749

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Silver Nitrate posted:

today’s the day the Nazis are supposed to show up at Detroit pride, isn’t it :/

i cant imagine the detroit pd is well funded enough to protect them

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

If you want the implication to be there, you can put it there. Just don't forget who she is and how she got where she is now, which is shunned by everyone, waiting tables to get by, and trying to scratch out a new job in media.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Which leaves out the whole thing where Nazis specifically prey on people who are hdisnefranchised and miserable and lure them in and then they're stuck there because they're a Nazi now and society hates them which binds them closer together and so on

This is literally the prison rape argument, "if you don't like it don't be a criminal"

Ughhhhh. You can put this there if you want it to be there I guess.

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 20:06 on Jun 8, 2019

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

imo, rape is bad full stop

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I think you might be right about that :thunk:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Reclines Obesily posted:

lol, destiny in a nyt article. some are gonna love that

https://twitter.com/FarLeftWatch/status/1133390065466527749

definitely not a fan of this guy but this is extremely lmao

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Flesh Forge posted:

If you want the implication to be there, you can put it there. Just don't forget who she is and how she got where she is now, which is shunned by everyone, waiting tables to get by, and trying to scratch out a new job in media.

Ughhhhh. You can put this there if you want it to be there I guess.

Cool now we're on "sorry you were offended" this is chill

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I don't know, I feel like there is a significant distinction between "good I am happy that this person was harmed" and "it is hard for me to feel empathy for someone who only just stopped publicly saying that I and my community need to be ruthlessly marginalized if not wiped out entirely."

Basically human empathy is not a suicide pact.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

i read it in high school and i think i was old enough to at least understand the dark bits and the underlying criticism of the beuracracy of military. like maybe the reading wsn't particularly deep but if high school me, a dip-poo poo, could understand it most high schoolers can

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Whats trs

And wignats ?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Right Stuff, I think? Not sure about the other one.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

Whats trs

And wignats ?

white nationalists

i think in the context of the image it would be jorp/infowars types that have yet to go full 1488

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Cool now we're on "sorry you were offended" this is chill

Oh no, you can go gently caress yourself, I don't give two shits if your sensitive feelings got bruised.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

*famous racist and neo nazi propagandist rolls out a cynical re-branding effort to get back into a media career*

YOUR JUST CONCERN TROLLING VICTIM BLAMING lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Chillgamesh posted:

white nationalists

i think in the context of the image it would be jorp/infowars types that have yet to go full 1488

MPC is pretty 1488, although I guess not fully. The bottom line is there's a big backlash in the extremely online alt-right because they're belatedly realizing that TRS sucks. I think MPC was on the "TRS is trash" wagon longer than the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Flesh Forge posted:

*famous racist and neo nazi propagandist rolls out a cynical re-branding effort to get back into a media career*

YOUR JUST CONCERN TROLLING VICTIM BLAMING lol

Ok cool you're just a piece of poo poo