Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for wanting to stay in tonight and resolve Assassins Creed: Black Flag for like the 20th time instead of dancing/clubbing with my GF for her birthday? We celebrated on her actual bday Tuesday but the party night is tonight.

I’ve had a poo poo week at work. I mean like every day there was a major crisis and I am just sick of people. I want to stay in play my comfort video game (AC:Black Flag), stuff myself with Outback takeaway, pop a couple of my oxys I have left over from surgery and just relax (I’m not an addict at all).

My girlfriend is an amazing girl, she’s a little high strung but that also translates into being super imaginative and fun, but yes a little high maintence. Her birthday was Tuesday and I took her out to dinner, gave her the exact gift she wanted and we had a really nice quiet time. She also loves to go clubbing and dancing and her friends set up a club night for about 10 of us.

I just don’t want to go. I don’t want the noise, I don’t want the people, I don’t want any drama about “this place is lame, let’s walk for 8 blocks and figure out that place is lame too so let’s walk again” and then the inevitable argument getting 11 people to agree if it’s IHOP, Denny’s or Frontier for breakfast at 5:30AM.

she is so pissed at me when I told her, like as mad as she’s ever been. She’ll get over it but am I an rear end in a top hat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's a murder of Petes cause she won't ever live that one down.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for wanting to stay in tonight and resolve Assassins Creed: Black Flag for like the 20th time instead of dancing/clubbing with my GF for her birthday? We celebrated on her actual bday Tuesday but the party night is tonight.

I’ve had a poo poo week at work. I mean like every day there was a major crisis and I am just sick of people. I want to stay in play my comfort video game (AC:Black Flag), stuff myself with Outback takeaway, pop a couple of my oxys I have left over from surgery and just relax (I’m not an addict at all).

My girlfriend is an amazing girl, she’s a little high strung but that also translates into being super imaginative and fun, but yes a little high maintence. Her birthday was Tuesday and I took her out to dinner, gave her the exact gift she wanted and we had a really nice quiet time. She also loves to go clubbing and dancing and her friends set up a club night for about 10 of us.

I just don’t want to go. I don’t want the noise, I don’t want the people, I don’t want any drama about “this place is lame, let’s walk for 8 blocks and figure out that place is lame too so let’s walk again” and then the inevitable argument getting 11 people to agree if it’s IHOP, Denny’s or Frontier for breakfast at 5:30AM.

she is so pissed at me when I told her, like as mad as she’s ever been. She’ll get over it but am I an rear end in a top hat?

Go to the same club but take different cars idk buddy you’re being a real stick in the mud. :colbert:

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Awww he has just-turned-thirty-itis.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

MasBrillante posted:

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not allowing my wife to babysit the neighborhood kids for free during the summer.

We recently bought a old house in a new area of town that is considered economically depressed in a brand new state. The house is nearly 100 years old and gorgeous even before we fixed it up. We spent a year fixing it up, adding a pool and an awesome backyard with a stilt play house and stuff to do for her son.

My wife and her son are extra extroverts so they made quick work of making nice with the neighbors. I was all aboard for the introduction grill where she invited our immediate neighbors over for a get together and I admittedly had a great time. I am an introvert though and I like alone time and space.

My wife and I both work full time but she is taking some PTO during the summer since her son is off school. He will have some time at a day summer camp every couple of weeks for music and science. During the weeks she’s home, she works part time from home and has been spending the rest of the time getting to know our new neighborhood and babysitting for free.

My wife loves kids. She always wanted more but can’t have more.

Before we met and after her divorce, she struggled financially and she said she likes helping out because she knows what summer care can cost. She got a promotion about a year after we met and now with that and both our incomes we do really well.

It allows her son to have friends and kids to interact with most days when he is not at camp. She will take them to the library and local events. She lets them play in the pool with him and her. They play in the backyard and I have even come home to find her feeding them an early dinner because one of the parents got caught up at work.

The neighborhood loves her. Mostly because she is giving her time and energy and our money out for free.

I know a lot of people in our neighborhood struggle but I think it is too much.

Eventually it will end in August when he goes back to school but I am not sure I can survive this all summer. We do get breaks on weeks his summer camps are in and she goes to the office.

I asked her to limit it to the two weekends a month or something more reasonable but she doesn’t want to.

In our old neighborhood, we rarely talked to anyone and had no close friends.

I put my foot down and told her to stop it.

I reminded her my new job paid for this nice house and may say should matter a little more and now I feel like a jerk.

I know I am an rear end in a top hat for bringing up the money thing. I have only recently begun making more.

But I really don’t think I am an rear end in a top hat for wanting the peace and not wanting strange kids in the house. The liability is high. I don’t like kids that much. We are opening our house to people we barely know.

Would I be the rear end in a top hat for apologizing for the money comment but refusing to for all the kids?

this gentrifying piece of poo poo doesn't want poor children in his house. most likely due to race. not to mention he obviously hates his step kid.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Nap Ghost

Runcible Cat posted:

Do you mean elise the great's carefully-sourced-from-Tolkien's-published-works post for Dildomancer's thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785918&pagenumber=4&perpage=40#post463511251

Yes! Thank you.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

MasBrillante posted:

I have that and tbh the thought of going out to a club sounds exhausting and not in the fun way.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VanSandman posted:

I have that and tbh the thought of going out to a club sounds exhausting and not in the fun way.

Same as gently caress, honestly. Also it did not cost that much for me to drink in college. The bills take some of the shine off a drunken night out.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My wife is awesome, doing great community work and enriching poor children's lives.

I loving hate it.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

VanSandman posted:

First rule of nap club is you don’t talk about nap club. :nyd:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
A Resolve of Petes

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for having a confrontation with two 15-year-olds to defend girlfriend's honor?

Considering they followed them off the train to try to start poo poo, maybe the girlfriend wasn't leaving just because she was embarrassed (which yeah no poo poo her 26 year old boyfriend yelling at kids for saying poo poo about her she's heard a million times), but was rather removing herself from a small contained space where her boyfriend was about to get into a physical altercation with two kids for saying her tits were nice or she's fat some juvenile poo poo she's heard a million times. Does he think women upstate don't get harassed or something? Because let me tell you from experience, women get harassed in Upstate all the time. It's not all rural farms 10 miles away from each other. And if anything, we have more guys who act tough or have something to prove or think they have to defend their women to be real men or whatever poo poo. So it's not like she hasn't run across that attitude and thinks it's embarrassing because of that. Like, in every way she's the rational, savvy person in this story. I don't know why, but this one is just really irritating me.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
man, thirties is pretty great

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Araenna posted:

Considering they followed them off the train to try to start poo poo, maybe the girlfriend wasn't leaving just because she was embarrassed (which yeah no poo poo her 26 year old boyfriend yelling at kids for saying poo poo about her she's heard a million times), but was rather removing herself from a small contained space where her boyfriend was about to get into a physical altercation with two kids for saying her tits were nice or she's fat some juvenile poo poo she's heard a million times. Does he think women upstate don't get harassed or something? Because let me tell you from experience, women get harassed in Upstate all the time. It's not all rural farms 10 miles away from each other. And if anything, we have more guys who act tough or have something to prove or think they have to defend their women to be real men or whatever poo poo. So it's not like she hasn't run across that attitude and thinks it's embarrassing because of that. Like, in every way she's the rational, savvy person in this story. I don't know why, but this one is just really irritating me.
He's pissed that she refused to be her white knight's damsel in distress. He was just about to handle the kids evil thugs when she totally ruined it with rational thinking, how dare she.

EDIT: ONLY INTERESTED IN THE OPINIONS OF DEVELOPMENTALLY STUNTED MEN

Palpek fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 9, 2019

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MasBrillante posted:

“Her son,” the child that lives with me full time. Yuck.

That pronoun slip loving always gets lovely step-parents. I always look out for it. Often it's a little slip once in the middle of everything, they go "our child" until it's suddenly "her child" just once.

I did not have to look hard in this one, Jesus.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
A+ redditsplaining about the "her son" guy's situation, the female is actually running an illegal daycare and in doing so is depriving him of the right to a peaceful house.

snergle posted:

this gentrifying piece of poo poo doesn't want poor children in his house. most likely due to race. not to mention he obviously hates his step kid.

What a fun layer it would be if the kid has dark skin too. But he ignores all questions about the kid and why who chooses that phrasing so we will never know.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

life is a joke posted:

A+ redditsplaining about the "her son" guy's situation, the female is actually running an illegal daycare and in doing so is depriving him of the right to a peaceful house.

What a fun layer it would be if the kid has dark skin too. But he ignores all questions about the kid and why who chooses that phrasing so we will never know.

He does have a legitimate concern with the pool, though. If anything happens, they can be sued. We have the steepest driveway in the neighborhood, with the most concrete to park the trailer. All the kids loved skateboarding on it, but we had to stop them because if anything happened, lawsuit city.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Khazar-khum posted:

He does have a legitimate concern with the pool, though. If anything happens, they can be sued. We have the steepest driveway in the neighborhood, with the most concrete to park the trailer. All the kids loved skateboarding on it, but we had to stop them because if anything happened, lawsuit city.

As a kid who grew up with skateboarding the parents of kids who skateboard are by and large too busy chainsmoking and and making terrible investments in crypto currency to sue anyone over their kids (they didn't even know where I was most of the time )

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I have always encouraged my stay-at-home husband to participate in our local community. For me, to do anything else would be unthinkable. He stays at home, tends to the itinerant twinks, and participates as both a performer and enforcer at the Drag Queen Story Time hosted by our local library. When he's not busy with that he works with local youth, almost exclusively disadvantaged straights who were dealt a poor hand in life.

As successful homosexuals who have benefited immensely from society we feel it is our obligation to give back. I am proud that my financial work allows my husband to provide our community with leadership, protection, and the opportunity to enrich the lives of the straights I hope to eventually gentrify out of out of our neighborhood. I believe the straights of any community should leave better people than when we found them.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
My [28F] Current Boyfriend [32M] Freaked Out By My Ex's Socioeconomic Status

quote:

This is a long story, please bear with me.

Back when I was 19, I did the typical community service type stuff (homeless shelter/soup kitchen) to bolster my college applications and while volunteering I met a cute guy (let's call him Giuseppe). He was a little older than me but I'd dated before and was mature for my age, and we had a bit of a fling. It wasn't my best my relationship but it was far from the worst, we ended it on mutually good terms and I haven't really thought about him much since (it was almost a decade ago after all).

Fast forward to yesterday. My current (semi-serious) boyfriend, Mordechai, had the day off and we were walking around downtown to shop and have fun. We were about to head to the movies to watch The Secret Life of Pets 2 when completely by chance we ran into Giuseppe on the sidewalk. To be honest I didn't even recognize him at first, as he has a much longer beard now, but as we walked past him he called out my name and Mordechai asked if I knew him.

After I realized who it was, we chatted briefly and I tried to introduce him to Mordechai, who seemed very defensive and uncomfortable and actually refused to shake Giuseppe's hand (he claimed later it was dirty). It was a really brief interaction, totally platonic and friendly, but Giuseppe did mention to Mordechai that he used to be my boyfriend, and this seemed to really upset Mordechai even though he stayed silent. After catching up with Giuseppe for seriously less than two minutes, I dropped five dollars in his hat and continued walking with Mordechai.

I honestly didn't think anything of it at first, but Mordechai was very quiet and while we were waiting in line at the theater (far enough to be out of Giuseppe's earshot), he started asking me lots of questions about our (me and Giuseppe's) relationship. Talking about it with him, it came out that what he was really upset about is that Giuseppe is homeless (which honestly disappoints me as I've always known Mordechai to be very progressive about socioeconomic issues).

So it turned it to a big argument right there in public. I tried to explain that “boyfriend” was not really accurate and that while I had slept with him, it was really just a teenage fling. That didn't calm him down at all. He was also very upset by the age difference. Yes, Giuseppe is older than me (he's in his 60s but looks older, maybe due to his lifestyle). Back when we dated, though, he was more of a “silver fox” type (think Jefferey Dean Morgan but 10 years older and dressed in rags) and still had almost all of his teeth. He was definitely the hottest guy to frequent that shelter (not that I think relationships should be based on hotness, now that I'm more mature).

Mordechai just wouldn't hear it, though. He accused me of having “daddy issues,” which is really ridiculous because Giuseppe is older than my dad and really the opposite every way (for example he loves outdoor activities, which my dad HATES, and also my dad is a successful attorney instead of being homeless). Mordechai kept calling him a “hobo” and a “bum” even though I explained that those terms are pejorative. He was also upset that I had given him “five whole dollars” but I truly just grabbed the first bill I touched, it wasn't an attempt to flirt. The argument got really heated and in the thick of the moment I did admit that Giuseppe is better endowed than Mordechai, but honestly the whole fight was kind of a blur at that point and a lot of ugly things were said on both sides.

Eventually Mordechai said he couldn't handle this and needed time to think, then he stormed off. All the kids and their parents who were in line for the movie were staring at me, and there was a transient nearby who must have overheard our argument and tried to (crudely) flirt with me. The whole thing was one of the most embarrassing moments of my life and made me feel really gross. Of course I was too upset to watch the movie, so I just went home and cried. Later I tried to cheer myself up by watching the first Secret Life of Pets but I lost it again at the part when Duke finds out his old owner Fred has passed away (it didn't help that Fred looks a bit like Giuseppe). So I was crying all night.

Mordechai texted me today and asked if I'd had STD tests after dating Giuseppe (of course, it's been 9 years, I've had tons!). Other than that we haven't talked. I'm not sure if I want to keep things going, I feel like he's being really judgemental about ancient history that really is none of his business to begin with. I feel like this is an ugly side of him I've never seen before and honestly that he's kind of a hypocrite. Sure, he'll support fair housing laws and talk a big game about helping the disadvantaged, he even listens to Woody Guthrie, but when a homeless person sleeps with somebody he cares about, he freaks out. Yes, Giuseppe survives off of donations, but so does Mordechai's uncle who runs a non-profit. I really don't think he's being fair, and I'm sure I wouldn't judge him if he had slept with an older homeless woman when he was 19. I've never even asked him if he has, because it doesn't matter to me. This isn't the 1930s anymore with people chasing “vagrants” out of town, forcing them to ride the rails.

TLDR: Boyfriend flipped out and embarrassed me in public because when I was a teenager I had a brief affair with a homeless man.

So I need advice. Is Mordechai overreacting? Am I being insensitive? It's mostly been a good relationship, but if he's going to freak out at small details of my personal history like this, I don't know if it's even worth trying to pursue a serious partnership, even if he does end up apologizing for his reaction.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
When gilding the lily goes too far :(

Khazar-khum posted:

If they have liability insurance and enforce common-sense rules like no swimming without adults, it should be fine. There's a safe way to swim, but there is no safe way to skate down a driveway into a road.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Pinecone Sample posted:

tfw you're judged for your exes not being good enough.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Lol. From the title I thought he was going to be jealous of a rich ex. This is waaaaay better lmao.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pinecone Sample posted:

Get an old timey lion cage and tour the country charging two bits a gander to see your new ex-boyfriend, The Incredibly Fragile Man of Glass.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

If they have liability insurance and enforce common-sense rules like no swimming without adults, it should be fine. There's a safe way to swim, but there is no safe way to skate down a driveway into a road.

I don't know about that. The insurance company will fight saying she ran an unlicensed day care. Insurance rates for a daycare are presumably higher than ordinary homeowners insurance. The liability issue is a huge, legitimate issue and they should talk to an attorney is they plan to keep doing it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

On the bright side you've unearthed one of the really hard to spot red flags that is 'irrational hatred of the poors'

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Smirking_Serpent posted:

pop a couple of my oxys I have left over from surgery and just relax (I’m not an addict at all).

Uh huh, sure friend. You can stop anytime right? You just associate relaxation and joy with taking pain killers? You deserve to be pain free after working a hard week? You'll stop after you've finished this prescribed batch?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Lol. From the title I thought he was going to be jealous of a rich ex. This is waaaaay better lmao.
Me too. It did not go where I expected.]

I think my favourite part is

quote:

He accused me of having “daddy issues,” which is really ridiculous because Giuseppe is older than my dad and really the opposite every way (for example he loves outdoor activities, which my dad HATES, and also my dad is a successful attorney instead of being homeless).

This is a close second:

quote:

Sure, he'll support fair housing laws and talk a big game about helping the disadvantaged, he even listens to Woody Guthrie, but when a homeless person sleeps with somebody he cares about, he freaks out.
Though it's better out of context, as if she had slept with him while they were together.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I like that 'he wasn't homeless when we were together' never even comes up. Like he is now a 'hobo' forever

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Motherfucker posted:

I like that 'he wasn't homeless when we were together' never even comes up. Like he is now a 'hobo' forever
Because he was homeless when they were together.

quote:

Back when we dated, though, he was more of a “silver fox” type (think Jefferey Dean Morgan but 10 years older and dressed in rags) and still had almost all of his teeth. He was definitely the hottest guy to frequent that shelter

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Motherfucker posted:

tfw you're judged for your exes not being good enough.

It seems Mordechai gives to Progressive groups to ensure that the homeless and desperate are safely housed, far away from him.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
She is a great story weaver, on a macro and micro level. You could tell the impetus, "I saw this old man panhandling, turns out I hosed him when I was a teenager, and let me tell you, his hog was huge. So I gave him $5." But that doesn't keep the reader hooked.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If person i dated revealed they banged an old semitoothless hobo before dating me Id need at least two training and self improvement montages before I felt I could date again.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Motherfucker posted:

He was though? She specifically mentions he was a regular at a soup kitchen she was volunteering at unless I'm completely misreading between the lines on her post.

Anne Whateley posted:

This is completely incorrect, because...

Hellblazer187 posted:

I don't know about that. The insurance company will fight saying she ran an unlicensed day care. Insurance rates for a daycare are presumably higher than ordinary homeowners insurance. The liability issue is a huge, legitimate issue and they should talk to an attorney is they plan to keep doing it.

...essentially when an insurer agrees to cover you if you execute the policy in bad faith (eg don't mention a home office with thousands of dollars of business property, don't disclose an unlicensed not-for-profit daycare being run out of the home, don't disclose a pit bull breeding operation in your back yard, etc.) their obligation to cover you in a loss is minimal at best and in some stats leaves you open to the carrier suing you for fraud/material misrepresentation at worst. "Lying by omission" is not something insurance companies are a big fan of.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Hellblazer187 posted:

How are they gonna claim it's a daycare when it's literally just the son having friends over and she isn't getting paid in any form?

They should have a bunch of liability insurance regardless. Whether or not they have their son's friends over, teenagers could still sneak over and swim at night or when they're out of town, and that's a good way to get screwed.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Pinecone Sample posted:

She is a great story weaver, on a macro and micro level. You could tell the impetus, "I saw this old man panhandling, turns out I hosed him when I was a teenager, and let me tell you, his hog was huge. So I gave him $5." But that doesn't keep the reader hooked.

The reader wants a great love story where she runs from limpy-dick Mordechai back to Giuseppe, whom she rescues by bringing to a hotel where he can get cleaned up before going to her place where they live happily ever after.
ETA: and Giuseppe must be a musical genius who has never been appreciated.

Khazar-khum fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 9, 2019

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

If person i dated revealed they banged an old semitoothless hobo before dating me Id need at least two training and self improvement montages before I felt I could date again.

I'm picturing a combination of the Ninja Turtles movie scene where the Turtles remove all the bells from the dummy without making a sound combined with the Howard Stern E! Show segment where they marked every physical imperfection on a woman's body with a highlighter.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Barudak posted:

I notice how you don't stigmatize people who had their wisdom teeth removed by a dentist, Mordecai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Anne Whateley posted:

How are they gonna claim it's a daycare when it's literally just the son having friends over and she isn't getting paid in any form?

Do you think that the parent of a dead kid isn't going to be like, "we sent him over there every day instead of to the sitter/summer school/grandma's house because she said she'd watch him for free and we thought he'd be safe there," and that the cops/insurance companies/lawyers aren't going to look into it at all?