Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Deals in Chief pulls another win. This is great folks, really great... can you believe it? I can, I can. What a tremendous victory. Very good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Nuclear War posted:

Military History thread in Ask/Tell is that way. They'll have some nerd who maintains a blog that collates all the open source info about whatever you want to know from German ww2 mortar rounds to modern Chinese field rations.

E- Found it.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 8, 2019

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
COLREGS Crew Represent :respek:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

where on the american vessel is this video taken from? because it looks to me like the russian vessel is approaching from starboard, which means the American vessel needs to give way

Dude, even putting flight ops aside the Russians were clearly overtaking not crossing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Dude, even putting flight ops aside the Russians were clearly overtaking not crossing.

A vessel overtaking from the starboard side is one of those touchy rear end situations, that you actually get to spend lots of time practicing in the simulator.

Like scholarly articles have been written on that. It’s touchy. This one was written by a lawyer and it’s IMHO not that complete http://www.professionalmariner.com/August-2013/Overtaking-or-crossing-Dont-assume-what-other-ship-will-do/

Edit: An important thing to understand when talking about the colregs is that the stand-on vessel, the one who is “privileged” and is not supposed to do anything*, has the most stressful position by far. Because the fundamental principle of the rule is you are not allowed to get hit.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 8, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The Russian Navy has been pulling this kind of chickenshit since they were still the Soviet Navy. They don't actually give a flying gently caress about what the rules of navigation say, they're being aggressive dicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4jQhnXrWbg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SME4w037FgA

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Soviet/Russian Navy: gently caress ships, let's ram some subs!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_incident_off_Kola_Peninsula

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_incident_off_Kildin_Island

Collision alleged, but unconfirmed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_submarine_K-219

Or gently caress it, let's go straight for gold and hit a carrier!

https://www.rbth.com/history/330178-soviet-nuclear-submarine-rammed-carrier

Same game, different players.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1137414039175385088

The bar owners had to invoice the nearby Trump golf course, then the golf course paid. The cheapest motherfuckers, holy poo poo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

oh man i'm looking forward to the trump salt over that

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

facialimpediment posted:

The bar owners had to invoice the nearby Trump golf course, then the golf course paid. The cheapest motherfuckers, holy poo poo.

They probably didn't realize you actually have to settle your tab since their servants usually take care of that stuff.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/Comey/status/11...ingawful.com%2F

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Handing out free stuff paid for with other people's money :ironicat:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The Russian Navy has been pulling this kind of chickenshit since they were still the Soviet Navy. They don't actually give a flying gently caress about what the rules of navigation say, they're being aggressive dicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4jQhnXrWbg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SME4w037FgA

I imagine they do it because the rest of the world will just hem and haw and write a strongly worded letter or two if those shenanigans were to end up with them colliding with a US destroyer, but I have a gross curiosity of what they'd do if someone sank one of their boats when they pulled that poo poo, given the likelihood of being able to win a trial in the court of public opinion by just saying it looked like they were going to ram them, and air video to prove it.

With trump wanting to pardon war criminals these days I bet there's some up and coming officer who wants to become a popular boomer meme.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

eat poo poo and die

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FAUXTON posted:

I imagine they do it because the rest of the world will just hem and haw and write a strongly worded letter or two if those shenanigans were to end up with them colliding with a US destroyer, but I have a gross curiosity of what they'd do if someone sank one of their boats when they pulled that poo poo, given the likelihood of being able to win a trial in the court of public opinion by just saying it looked like they were going to ram them, and air video to prove it.

With trump wanting to pardon war criminals these days I bet there's some up and coming officer who wants to become a popular boomer meme.

Given the recent history of USN destroyers you're reaching a bit there saying they are the ones being hit

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Not sure on the comments. A lot are calling out how silly it is, others are going 👏🏽 great job officers keep our streets safe!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Isn’t that like every knife that everyone in the military has/had at one point? :psyduck:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Icon Of Sin posted:

Isn’t that like every knife that everyone in the military has/had at one point? :psyduck:

Or anyone who does any sort of farming/construction/manual labor.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nah, I had a Gerber Applegate Fairbairn.

It's bigger.

But yes, that looks like every lockblade ever. Is the reasoning "drop knife" related? Because that's dumb as poo poo too. Switchblades under 4" are legal here so that's what I carry now.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Icon Of Sin posted:

I like the ambiguous wording. If he was brandishing it or a threat to anyone they would have highlighted that fact. He was perusing the city center with a knife!!!

Instead it was probably an off-duty Ricky Rescue EMT who had it on his belt. I didn’t even know a knife like that could be illegal.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Given that crown in top of the office seal, I'm gonna guess that's a Commonwealth city.

E: it's in the UK

psydude fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 9, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Given the recent history of USN destroyers you're reaching a bit there saying they are the ones being hit

by a combat vessel not a container ship

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I like the ambiguous wording. If he was brandishing it or a threat to anyone they would have highlighted that fact. He was perusing the city center with a knife!!!

Instead it was probably an off-duty Ricky Rescue EMT who had it on his belt. I didn’t even know a knife like that could be illegal.

My college got locked down when I was a freshman because a man was “brandishing a knife and had an attack dog.” Turns out he was just a redneck with a boot knife and brought his puppy to pick up his girlfriend from class. Didn’t stop the cops from throwing him into a squad car and hassling him for a few hours.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Not sure on the comments. A lot are calling out how silly it is, others are going 👏🏽 great job officers keep our streets safe!

I don’t think you’re British, but that Facebook page is very much for a UK law enforcement agency for whom a knife like that would be like the equivalent of a ghost gun with an extended magazine and suppressor to an agency in California.

People also like to point to stuff like this when they talk about how overzealous the UK cops get over this:

I wish Hezzy or some of the other Brit cops still posted so they could explain this poo poo without laughing.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Don't tell the rozzers about the oldest and deadliest of weapons: a rock

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

whoops had no idea it wasn’t US

Still lol

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Or fists.

UK needs fist control laws!!

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I don’t think you’re British, but that Facebook page is very much for a UK law enforcement agency for whom a knife like that would be like the equivalent of a ghost gun with an extended magazine and suppressor to an agency in California.

People also like to point to stuff like this when they talk about how overzealous the UK cops get over this:

I wish Hezzy or some of the other Brit cops still posted so they could explain this poo poo without laughing.

That day Regents Park was safe from the menace of an electrician being able to do his job.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

I hope this dastardly handyman was summarily executed for his crimes.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
For some reason english and colonials are fuckin crazy about stabbing people with screwdrivers

e] It's part of our can-do diy Kiwi attitude

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

my kinda ape posted:

I hope this dastardly handyman was summarily executed for his crimes.

It's not America, summary police execution isn't standard

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

It's not America, summary police execution isn't standard

Outside of the US you "commit suicide in police custody" instead.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

C.M. Kruger posted:

Outside of the US you "commit suicide in police custody" instead.

Hey we do that too :mad:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

For some reason english and colonials are fuckin crazy about stabbing people with screwdrivers

e] It's part of our can-do diy Kiwi attitude

Do you guys have enough to contend with with the lethal wildlife without killing each other’s?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
True facts, if you live in Australia you have a one in five chance of being a spider

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

I used to have an "Extreme Survival" coffee table type book from the UK that explained what to do if you got mugged on the bus, attacked by a bear while camping, etc. It was all pretty bonkers from a US point of view due to the lack of guns and very, very strict ROE. The best parts were the home invasion scenarios where the bad guy has a club, so you couldn't use a knife because it would be escalation. Like you have to do this bizarre calculus in a darkened room to see if the burglar had an edged weapon before stabbing his rear end.

Thanks for the birthday gift, Grandma! I wish I hadn't punted that one to Goodwill :(

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

FrozenVent posted:

Do you guys have enough to contend with with the lethal wildlife without killing each other’s?

NZ, not Aussie. all we have here are birds, and half of them can't even fly.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Yeah but they destroy everything

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
That's just what a cat would say :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Did the kangaroos all die from global warming or something?