Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hentai Jihadist posted:

this thread taught me that there is a 3d remake of The Demon Rush headed to ps4 lmao

I remember searching for The Demon Rush a while back and it seemed like some Steam shitware dev has been cranking out Demon Rush games for some reason. What a wordl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
It's been years since I read the lp for shut up and jam, who's dark drakerz and why is he dying all over the drat place?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
cherry venus

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ilmucche posted:

It's been years since I read the lp for shut up and jam, who's dark drakerz and why is he dying all over the drat place?

Gortarius posted:

This is also about the time when I discovered the Dark Drakers, which soured the whole thing further. Dark Draker is a filler character in B2 who talks about being faster than the snapping maw of a drake. I discovered that an entire areas worth of NPC's were just carbon copies of Dark Draker with a different name given to each, AKA the illusion of work being done. Just these 10% finished NPC's basically littering the project to make it seem like it was all good. I suppose the plan was to eventually make them into distinct NPC's but the problem was that the whole game was plagued by the Dark Drakers, and they GREATLY attributed to the poo poo compile times.

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Brooks Cracktackle

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Wonder Turbine posted:

Brooks Cracktackle

Someone has that as their name here

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

jrpgs are absolute garbage as a genre and it's one of only two i've played from start to finish.

:same:

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
Brakley 2 when

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

jrpgs are absolute garbage as a genre and it's one of only two i've played from start to finish.

i understand why barkley would make you think jrpgs are bad, but i assure you they're very good, barkley's just kind of a bad meme game people have weird nostalgia for

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lampsacus posted:

So is the original Barkley any good? Reading page 1 of this thread people seem super hyped on the brand.

It's freeware, in the time it took you to make this post and read the responses you could have just downloaded and played the game and made up your own mind.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Endorph posted:

i understand why barkley would make you think jrpgs are bad, but i assure you they're very good, barkley's just kind of a bad meme game people have weird nostalgia for

oh yeah, massive plot cliches and grinding 60 hours to watch the damage number go up 30, what an amazing genre

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
in most jrpgs you don't actually need to grind at all and can just progress normally because they're not hard enough to wall you at any point

many jrpg fans happen to be brokebrains who love to grind, however

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Endorph posted:

i've played a lot of jrpgs and this post is a trap

barkley is in the top 10 for sure

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

SeXReX posted:

oh yeah, massive plot cliches and grinding 60 hours to watch the damage number go up 30, what an amazing genre
This sounds like recent Assassin's Creed games.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

Barkley is a meme game and good actually. Who here on SA could speak against memes anyway.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
Barley had rpg mechanics that were both more fun and more advanced than most "real" rpgs that came out at that time.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
jrpg "gameplay" is just padding between the only good parts of the genre, it being a vehicle for writing and story. Barkley has good writing so it's already in the 95 percentile of jrpgs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SeXReX posted:

grinding 60 hours to watch the damage number go up 30
was the last jrpg you played final fantasy 1

FunMerrania posted:

Barley had rpg mechanics that were both more fun and more advanced than most "real" rpgs that came out at that time.
theyre mostly just lifted from shadow hearts

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Barkley 1 is like the only JRPG vidcon I've bothered to finish, so it's actually the best one imo.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Ada posted:

jrpg "gameplay" is just padding between the only good parts of the genre, it being a vehicle for writing and story. Barkley has good writing so it's already in the 95 percentile of jrpgs.
/

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

OK I downloaded and played it for the afternoon.
-holy poo poo this is some old internet humour. its more nostalgic than funny.
-The gameplay is meh, I think you really had to play this game ten years ago to feel love for it? Barkley has some good shitposting dialog but my god the actual game?
-saying that, it would be cool to see a demo. I hope they release the full game in the next few years (before star citizen lol).

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

FunMerrania posted:

i remember one of the things that set barkley apart from other shitass freeware RPG maker games was it had meaningful mechanics outside of the standard RPG battle screen to differentiate it. it tread the line perfectly between adding legitimate features to spice up gameplay and not taking itself too seriously

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
ffv rules because there's so much gonzo poo poo you can do combining classes and gimmicky ways to win

if you disagree gently caress you buttz squad forever

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Endorph posted:

i think you misunderstood my post.

Lampsacus posted:

-The gameplay is meh, I think you really had to play this game ten years ago to feel love for it? Barkley has some good shitposting dialog but my god the actual game?

i was never a fan of the gameplay (it being a jrpg after all) but the writing was great enough that i kept with it. i think most of the best humor holds up and isn't really internet related at all.

"This game is canon." is the funniest thing written in any video game.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 9, 2019

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

lol

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

y'all that was a joke...

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lampsacus posted:

-saying that, it would be cool to see a demo. I hope they release the full game in the next few years (before star citizen lol).

I think someone actually trying to be a game critic over Barkley 1 in 2019 is the funniest thing that's come out of Barkley 2 being dead.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

jrpgs are actually pretty good, especially if you don't only play Final Fantasy.

Even if you only want to play Final Fantasy, Bravely Second basically refined that formula to perfection: you can turn on and off random encounters and change the frequency, you can adjust difficulty on a whim, you can choose not to get money or job points to increase experience or any combination thereof, and there's a speed up button in fights as well as a "repeat last action" auto that you can use to basically automate grinding if you really want to grind

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

also the combat is incredibly good but that's just going to be a lot of words that don't really mean anything to anybody who doesn't play JRPGs

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I actually basically hated bravely second despite liking some FF games a lot

all the characters were written like weird children and the combat felt pretty boring. I think without a lot of moving bits to combine and figure out I don't really care

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

the characters were weird children tho

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
i like chex quest i like rpg

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I think someone actually trying to be a game critic over Barkley 1 in 2019 is the funniest thing that's come out of Barkley 2 being dead.
'game critic' here meaning 'having any opinion whatsoever'

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

Endorph posted:

'game critic' here meaning 'having any opinion whatsoever'

Being weird and gay in addition to having an opinion on a game makes you a game critic

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

FunMerrania posted:

i like chex quest i like rpg

Chex Quest is canon.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Raiad posted:

the characters were weird children tho
ok. I didn't like it

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

everythingWasBees posted:

jrpgs are actually pretty good, especially if you don't only play Final Fantasy.

Even if you only want to play Final Fantasy, Bravely Second basically refined that formula to perfection: you can turn on and off random encounters and change the frequency, you can adjust difficulty on a whim, you can choose not to get money or job points to increase experience or any combination thereof, and there's a speed up button in fights as well as a "repeat last action" auto that you can use to basically automate grinding if you really want to grind

So they took all the boring gameplay and made it so you don't have to play it. It's just an 80 hour vn, check

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Brakely

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

waiting for the irony poisoned Unity shooter "Shin Chex Quest: Generations"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I played barkely for the first time after reading this thread and greatly enjoyed it. its short and very funny. some jokes havent aged that well but "Jordan, you motherfucking baka, you sick motherfucking goddamn BAKA!" will never not be funny as hell