Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Carbon dioxide posted:

Timburr would make a good software developer though.

A good software developer knows where they keep their logs.

I don’t know how to respond to that extremely bad pun...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Kemix posted:

I don’t know how to respond to that extremely bad pun...

Steel yourself, it only gets worse from here.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Kemix posted:

I don't know how to respond to that extremely bad pun...

Regalingualius posted:

Steel yourself, it only gets worse from here.

That's basically the thesis of the whole LP.

Next update may be slightly delayed, I'm planning on playing the new Path Of Exile league a bit. Also I finished Fata Morgana again so I need like a week of emotional recovery.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 5, 2019

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Update 9: Jagen Gets Stumped By A Library

Before we get this update started in earnest, I want to mention that I did a little grinding offscreen, just to keep things going smoothly. Everyone is up to around Level 16, if not slightly higher, and some of them got some new moves!

Munna grabbed Moonlight, which is a pretty solid HP restore, most of the time. It’ll heal for 50% of the Pokemon’s max HP with no weather conditions active, 66% in harsh sunlight, and 25% in other conditions.

It’s still Normal type in this game, because Fairy doesn’t exist yet.

Snivy got Leaf Tornado, which is a Special Attack move with a lot more power than Vine Whip, and an upside. Definitely handy.

Woobat’s got Heart Stamp now, which doesn’t take advantage of her better Sp. Atk stat, but does carry a chance to make the enemy flinch. Flinching means you lose your turn. Flinch is real nice.

And here’s a stat sheet for our newest friend, Timburr. First of all, wow, that Attack. And it’s only up from there. Sheer Force, her ability, raises the base power of any moves that inflict an additional effect, in addition to raw damage, by 30%. This means Rock Smash won’t lower the enemy’s defense, ever, but it doesn’t need to when it hits like a freight train.

We’re still out here looking for a mystery rock, in case you forgot. Don’t worry, I understand, I know you’ve probably got a lot of rocks on your mind at any given time, I do.

I thought for a moment that this was a very cleverly hidden Super Potion, since you can only sneak in to get it from the bottom left here!

Then I realized I am A Fool. There’s nothing else back there anyway, unless we want to fish for Double Battles, so let’s move on with our lives.

Those stairs look promising, but they’re guarded.

Ooh, I don’t think we’ve seen Venipede before. It’s Bug/Poison, so this is probably a job for Zoobat.

OH NO BAMBOOZLED

Well. Not bamboozled too hard. Rollout does increase in power each turn, though, so I’ll need to end this quickly.

Thanks, my extremely buff Zoobat, I don’t know what I’d do without you.

pictured: Lillipup getting Rock Smashed.

pictured: Aftermath

At least he’s got a good attitude about it!

There’s a big rock over there. Could it be?

I’m not a martial arts expert by any means, but that seems like a really bad idea.

This is the smuggest Timburr has ever appeared.

I love it.

I love this even more. Good ol’ Flinch, you’re not technically a status ailment, but you certainly put in work sometimes.

We do happen to have a Fighting type Pokemon...and if we didn’t, thankfully Sawk and Timburr are both easy to find on this route. There’s another, rarer Fighting type, but it accidentally fainted when I found it offscreen continues to elude humanity, being spoken of only in whispers on the tongues of the mythmakers.

Here’s a bonus shot of a Wild Sawk’s ability activating. It stops it from being knocked out in one hit. It’s still asleep, though, so this didn’t end well for it.

You actually have to talk to this guy to battle him, just standing in his line of sight won’t work. What a madman.

Kentaro has a Level 16 Timburr, same as Lee earlier.

His knows Rock Throw, but thankfully our Zoobat is pretty beefy. It still goes down in two hits.

oh boy it’s the fuckin’ ROCK

You don’t need Rock Smash to do this, just a Fighting type Pokemon. The Rock Smash is kind of a cute coincidence, though.

Behold her power and tremble, rocks.

You can punch the rock once a day to get a Star Piece. These sell for 4900 Pokedollars (that’s really what they’re called, yes), so they’re just nice moneymakers. You can also trade them to an NPC later for PP Up, which raises the PP of one of your Pokemon’s moves!

(stop laughing)

There’s a free Net Ball on the descent from the Challenge Rock, and that’s all we have to do here for now. I’ll try to find that missing Pokemon later, but for now, let’s get on with the meat of the update.

Which is, of course, beating up random wild Timburr. Why am I doing this?

Marth is now Level 17. It’s the fated hour.

Oh geez, he broke apart! Now we’re going to have to start the chapter over!

Oh, never mind, he was just promoting. Huh. I’m glad he finally learned how to do that.

Perhaps more importantly, Hypnotoad learned Hypnosis.

Okay, the real meat of the update this time. Let’s go get our second badge.

So… I will give this to you!

This is just between you and me...Normal-type Pokemon are weak against Fighting-type Pokemon. Around here, Fighting-type Pokemon show up around Pinwheel Forest. Now, I will explain about the Gym itself! In this Pokemon Gym, if you answer questions hidden in books, you can move forward.

This gym, despite being in a museum, is more library themed. The puzzle is still pretty simplistic, but I like the way this one plays out.

If you don’t know where the book is, please ask anyone!

Sounds like a plan!

I’ll bet he knows.

This isn’t helpful at all!

I’m going to be entirely honest with you, this gym is going to be almost entirely screenshots of me loving around with bookshelves, because every Trainer battle can be summed up via Rock Smash.

See above.

I hate this child.

The Gym Guy already told us, but thanks. This trainer is actually pretty important, you’ll see why in a moment.

: It’s a fairy tale about a little boy who met a Pokemon for the first time in his life. He is with a small brown Pokemon.

: Can you solve the questions and come find me? Now, this is the first qestion!

: The hint is...on a bookshelf in the middle row! Now, try to find it!

So here’s the gym gimmick pretty simply laid out for you. You have to match the questions to book titles, and reading the right books allows you to advance. You can’t go out of order, even though, yes, logistically, it’s not like memos can just appear and disappear as they please.

But there’s a psychic heart bat in a ball in our character’s pocket right now, don’t try to make sense of it, this is Pokemon, you fool.

This isn’t what we’re looking for. It’s also not in the middle row. I was just being thorough.

This doesn’t sound like what we’re looking for either. Honestly, this puzzle is meant for literal children and I, for one, would never make mistakes while solving it.

(look i was really tired recording this)

Thankfully, in case you are a literal child, or myself, the NPCs in the gym will point you in the right direction.

I’m super good at video games.

: There is a memo on the back cover… “As I thought, that question was easy. Well, this is the second question!

Q: Flame burns inside its body, and it gives off smoke from its head while it runs… What is this book?

The hint is...Somebody may be reading it.

Smoke and flame? Sounds like Tepig to me!

This loving library.

Nostrils are 100% part of the head, gently caress you, my answer counts. This gym is a SHAM.

Well, there’s only one other character reading a book here. Process of elimination, hooray!

I feel like The Riddler just slapped me in the face.

Okay, a battle. This I can do!

Here’s Herdier! It’s the evolved form of Lillipup!

Satomi also uses her first turn on an X Defend. Herdier’s got a really hefty HP total, so this can be tricky.

Unless your Timburr is as swole as ours. Then it just means you waste another PP of Rock Smash.

:smuggo:

(seriously a loving train????)

Now the game is trying to make me self-conscious because my desk is absolutely loaded with books. There’s even a Kindle here. Oh poo poo, I found my Kindle writing this update!

Flame burns inside its body, and it gives off smoke from its head while it runs by using steam power!

There is a memo on the back cover… “It’s impressive you found this place! That’s what I’d expect from a challenger like you! Well, this is the third question!

The hint is on a bookshelf closer to the entrance than here!

That hint effectively only rules out the bookshelf directly to the right of the Locomotive one, but thankfully we’ve already seen the title of this one.

: There are sweets called “Poffins” made from Berries in the faraway Sinnoh region, and Pokemon love them!

If you’re interested in that, check out Crosspeice’s Platinum LP!

There is a memo on the cover… “Did you manage to get here without being tricked by the questions? Now, this is the last question!

move two forward, move one to the right, and move one backward...Now, where is it?

I mean, that’s fair, giving a hint would give it away. But there’s only one trainer left in the gym, and it’d be weird if she wasn’t guarding anything... So you can pretty much just skip the directional navigation.

: I’m wondering, did you see the last memo and come to me? OK. I’ll give you the last question!

And so we must battle our only ally in this literary hellscape. Aside from the Gym Guy, I guess.

She has three Level 15 Lillipups. Please, scroll over the preceding image three times to simulate this exciting battle. Thank you.

Now we may proceed.

You seem to have wisdom as well as strength! I look forward to our battle!
Gym Leader Lenora.”

Wow, this local library gets way more funding than mine.

Before heading into the final room of the gym, I healed up the team, and by that I mean I restored the PP of Rock Smash at the Pokecenter. Onwards!

: The director of the Nacrene Museum and the Nacrene Gym’s Leader is me! Lenora! Well then, challenger, I’m going to research how you battle with the Pokemon you’ve so lovingly raised!

Oh boy, second Gym Leader battle time!

Lenora is a pretty major difficulty spike from her gym. She only has two Pokemon, but they’re both formidable. Like most Normal type Gym Leaders, she can cause an unprepared player a surprising amount of trouble.

Her Herdier, for example, comes out with Intimidate, a nasty ability that hits every enemy Pokemon on the field with a drop to their Attack.

It also has Take Down, which packs a whopping 90 power!

Although it does deal 25% of its damage back to you.

Even the almighty Rock Smash can’t topple this Herdier right off the bat.

I decide I value Timburr a lot, and try to heal it up so I can strike back if Take Down whiffs.

That doesn’t happen, unfortunately, but it is getting pretty low on HP!

Well, not anymore. Lenora only has one Super Potion, but she’ll make it count.

I chose to swing for a Low Kick, hoping Herdier was heavier than I remembered.

It was not and I hosed up. There goes Timburr.

Newly Evolved Marth, please avenge me.

He missed on the second Leaf Tornado. Things are going great.

Thankfully the Herdier was running on fumes, so a nice Heart Stamp to the head downs it.

OH GOD IT’S EVOLVED PATRAT.

Lenora’s Watchog is somewhat infamous for being a bit of an early game wall too, I’m not sure how we’ll deal with it without Timburr. Well, guess I’ll restart and-

Hypnotoad, no, I’m sorry, you’re still too weak for this.

Hypnotoad?

What are you…

Oh. I see.

Bring it the heck on.

Guess who secretly prepared THEIR OWN WATCHOG

There’s really only one way this can go down, isn’t there?

We’re quicker on the draw.

And it’s a hit!

Sleep, for those who don’t know, isn’t broken by damage in Pokemon. It’s been nerfed to only last for 1-3 turns, but it still completely shuts down the enemy Pokemon. So I’m cutting away while I can.

By the time it wakes up, it’s nearly down. Time to clinch this!

uh oh

Don’t worry, I came prepared!

Ouch. This was a big hit. Thankfully it’s still one hit away from fainting.

hypnotoad are you loving kidding me

Not like this.

His big moment. Ruined.

Oh, by the by, Lenora’s Watchog has Crunch, which is just better Bite. Think you can cheese her out with a Psychic type Special Attacker?

Oh, it’s Munna?

You totally can.

:toot:

It’s worth noting that another good way to deal with Lenora’s Watchog is to train up a Roggenrola. It can’t do much to something with such hefty defense and a natural strength against Retaliate.

Our collection is 1/4th complete now!

That sounds like a bit of an insult, but Jagen will accept it.

: Here, I also want you to have this TM.

: Some problems you can’t solve even if you think about them your whole life. Some problems have different answers depending on the person. Still, the reason I can’t keep my curiosity down is this: I want to figure out the truth, but I also have a desire for adventure!

Hello, fantastic out of context screenshot, I needed one of you.

: What? What’s going on?!

I dunno, I think he was pretty clear re: Bone Stealing.

: You come, too!

Thanks, Gym Guy, glad your priorities are straight.

What does Bone Stealing have to do with Pokemon liberation again?

: We, Team Plasma, claim this museum’s Dragon Skull in the name of Pokemon liberation!

please explain the motives of your Bone Stealing

Part of me was hoping they’d all just start yelling “Plasmaaaa!” so the text boxes would cover the screen in sort of a meta joke.

Actually there’s just a literal smokescreen. Not as fun.

B O N E S T E A L I N G

Well, Lenora seems cool to me, so let’s go help her out!

: Jagen! This is Burgh. He may not look like it, but he’s Castelia City’s Gym Leader!

: ...Eh? Just looking for a change of pace. Seems hectic or something around here. What’s up?

: What’s up?! Someone just walked away with an exhibit, that’s what’s up!

I’m glad you guys were slightly to the right for this whole ordeal.

: And these two are…? Your friends? Bianca and Cheren...Oh, I see. They’re Trainers. OK, then. Let’s split up and search. I’ll head this way. Everyone! Cheren and Bianca, I want you to stay here at the museum.

: Got it? Burgh, you show the way! I’m counting on you, everyone!

: Are you raring to round up our robbers?

He just kinda heads off, but it’s okay, we already know where Pinwheel Forest is.

Nice! This is the renamed Itemfinder.

: Now, what did she tell me? Um...You can use the Dowsing Machine to find places where items are hidden. So you can find stuff you can’t even see!

: For now, all we need to do is protect the museum, right?

: Hey, wait for me!

Next time we venture into Pinwheel Forest to chase down Bone Stealers. See you then.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Anyone who says "I hate this child" is a-ok by me

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Hah! Great Pokemon gym battle, the surprise Watchog duel was a fun turnaround and I appreciated the effort you put into his eyes.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, her biggest gimmick is that her Watchog will Retaliate the first turn it swaps in, which is probably guaranteed to one-shot whoever’s in it’s way if you don’t have any preparations in place.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Anyone who says "I hate this child" is a-ok by me

I'm glad I haven't let the readers down.

BlackPersona posted:

Hah! Great Pokemon gym battle, the surprise Watchog duel was a fun turnaround and I appreciated the effort you put into his eyes.

I should have my license to Paint.net taken away. I should have had it taken away like two or three LPs ago, but somehow I continue to do this.

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, her biggest gimmick is that her Watchog will Retaliate the first turn it swaps in, which is probably guaranteed to one-shot whoever's in it's way if you don't have any preparations in place.

I was really hoping Hypnosis would hit for this. It's a nasty move, though, you're right, I'm not really sure how you're meant to mitigate it this early otherwise. I don't think anything learns Protect yet? You may just be expected to eat a KO.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I guess this came up sooner than I expected - this is why I hate Watchog. Do you see that move list? That top row in particular? Watchog is a pretty common Pokemon for opponents to have, and they all share those moves for a long time, plus another that can't KO you. So you spend turn after turn being asleep or hitting yourself in confusion, and it's not even applying pressure to defeat you, it just wastes the player's time. Ugh.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I tend to use confuse ray after hypnosis. When it wakes up it still needs to overcome confusion. :)

Also go Hypnotoad!
Herdier has no right being as good as it is.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Herdier is a very good dog.

And Lenora is a very cool character, but at least they removed her apron is various artwork and dub appearances, cause yeesh.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I remember the evolution animation creeping me the hell out when I first played Black.

Also I can't believe you didn't restart when Marth went down. What is this, Fates Casual mode or something?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

LiefKatano posted:

Also I can't believe you didn't restart when Marth went down. What is this, Fates Casual mode or something?

I'm playing on Phoenix (Ho-Oh) Mode.

I'm excited to get into Pinwheel Forest, lots of potential party members there. I may bench Hypnotoad because it's kinda had its moment now, but who knows, stranger things have happened and I never plan ahead adequately.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

I'm playing on Phoenix (Ho-Oh) Mode.

I'm excited to get into Pinwheel Forest, lots of potential party members there. I may bench Hypnotoad because it's kinda had its moment now, but who knows, stranger things have happened and I never plan ahead adequately.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. :colbert: On the one hand, Pinwheel forest has some awesome critters that I can't fault you for trying to use...on the other hand Hypnotoad has been with you since the beginning.
Has he been pulling his weight?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about that. :colbert: On the one hand, Pinwheel forest has some awesome critters that I can't fault you for trying to use...on the other hand Hypnotoad has been with you since the beginning.
Has he been pulling his weight?

Oh, Hypnotoad is still very useful, I just want to make sure I show off a decent variety of Pokemon as the game goes on. That said, if anyone really likes members of the current party, let me know and I'll try to stick with them a bit longer. I'm definitely at least getting Timburr to its final evolution because holy poo poo.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
You should be able to get all the monkeys from rustling grass in Pinwheel Forest, so you know your next three party members already!

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Simply Simon posted:

You should be able to get all the monkeys from rustling grass in Pinwheel Forest, so you know your next three party members already!

Please don't bully LordHippoman.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

LordHippoman posted:

I was really hoping Hypnosis would hit for this. It's a nasty move, though, you're right, I'm not really sure how you're meant to mitigate it this early otherwise. I don't think anything learns Protect yet? You may just be expected to eat a KO.

I'm pretty sure Patrat learns Detect pretty early. Also you could send out a Roggenrola or a Sawk with Sturdy, they can take the damage and Sawk can even do a load of damage in return. Potentially the other guy you could find near Pinwheel Forest might also be tanky enough to take it? Drilbur also learns Dig at level 19 and I think they might be able to outspeed the Watchog with some luck. Of course you could also just send out some fodder to take the hit. You could've even called him Frey for a nice little in-joke!

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Hey, just wanted to provide a quick update while I'm here, I'm suddenly mid job-hunt so stuff's gone a bit weird. Don't worry about me, my living situation is fine and I have money in reserve! Things ended on good terms and I think I have a promising prospect coming up, so I'm honestly mostly just grateful things aren't as bad as they could be. Still, updates might be quite slow while this gets all settled.

In the meantime, I'd highly recommend checking out Crosspeice's Platinum LP if you have a Pokemon itch because they've done great work so far!

Simply Simon posted:

You know not what you have wrought.

a dumb joke, you've wrought a dumb joke in the next update :v:

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 17, 2019

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

You know not what you have wrought.

a dumb joke, you've wrought a dumb joke in the next update :v:

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that if he hadn't said anything that you wouldn't have made a dumb joke in the next update. Or were you planning on turning a new leaf in that forest update?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 10: Jagen Catches A Pansage

Welcome back. Thanks for joining me as we chase down the nefarious bone thieves in Team Plasma.

It’s Summer in the continent of Unova, much like in the real life U.S. while I’m updating. Nice that it synced up like that.

: If they manage to scuttle off into the forest, we might have trouble.

bad news they’ve already scuttled

: the road that goes straight and the path that winds through the woods. I will take the straight road after them!

Way to give us the hard part, Burgh.

: If they’re not there, I’ll block the exit. Would you please take the other way and check whether Team Plasma is hiding in there somewhere? You’ll run into a lot of Trainers, but it’s basically a single path, so I’m sure you won’t get lost.

She did seem nice enough. Might as well!

Oh, that reminds me.

Here’s the Dowsing Machine in action. It’ll take up the bottom screen when you use it, and the needles get closer together as you approach a hidden item. They’re invisible otherwise, so this is really the only good way of finding them, aside from using a guide.

Still, there’s really not much of consequence that we can reach in Pinwheel Forest right now, so I’m not really going to get much use out of it in this update.

If you see two trainers standing directly next to eachother like this, get ready for a double battle.

I don’t think we’ve seen Sewaddle yet! It’s a Bug/Grass type that fills the same role Pokemon like Weedle or Caterpie do at first. That said, its evolutions are quite a bit more viable in the late game than the typical early game Bug types.

Zoobat can one-shot them with a 4x effective Gust, so Blitzle’s just on crowd control duty.

It’s not exactly a challenging fight.

Maybe this guy will put up more of a challenge.

Sandile! Ground/Dark and one of my favorite Pokemon from this generation. Intimidate can be nasty too. This is absolutely not a fight for Blitzle.

Thankfully, we do have someone more equipped for situations like this.

It spends its first turn using Torment, an interesting move that prevents the target from using the same move twice in a row.

Good thing we only needed one Leaf Tornado.

Marth’s ego is entirely justified. Look at that majestic bastard.

At least he’s honest. And more competent than the Lift Key guy.

team plasma are absolute masters of detection

Oh, would you look at that, a fight Blitzle can win alone!

Bold words from someone cosplaying as one finger on a latex glove.

Guess we’ve got to keep moving.

Hey, here’s a wild encounter I wanted! We’ve already seen Cottonee, but haven’t caught one yet.

To my shock, not only does it outspeed Blitzle, it uses Stun Spore before she can let loose Thunder Wave.

And it works! Were this one generation later, Electric types would be immune to paralysis.

Thankfully Blitzle’s been carrying a Cheri Berry since we caught it, which automatically cures Paralysis once. Calculated plan on my part, I’d say.

Here’s Cottonee. I think someone was wanting to trade for one of these, so we’ll have to get on that.

Oh, also, since I excluded Watchog’s Pokedex sheet for The Narrative last time, here it is. I always pictured it as being a lot higher than three feet tall, myself.

Wind around this grass and you’ll find a Big Root!

It’s super niche and I probably won’t use it. Sorry, Big Root.

Here’s another new wild encounter.

Sadly, Blitzle’s Shock Waves don’t do much damage to the Grass type Sewaddle. That’s okay. We’ll just have to whittle it down.

Blitzle, Please.

We get a stylish bug, but at what cost?

Hey, why didn’t you guys do anything about the bone thieves that just ran through here?

Oh, he was busy turning his PokeBall into a whip. That’s fair.

It was a Herdier! It did quite a number on us with Take Down! Herdier’s annoying!

Thanks for the Berry, Whip Guy.

Thankfully this Nurse is still here, so there’s a quick and easily accessible full heal right outside of the Forest. Not a bad place to grind.

It’s almost impossible to miss this Super Potion, it’s right on the required path after Ranger Forrest. We’ve just got to continue making our way west.

I want to believe that “strong points” is a pun because Venipede can have the Poison Point ability. Maybe I’m expecting too much.

Protect is a cool move that always goes first (unless something else that always goes first also gets used, then Speed decides it as usual) and prevents that Pokemon from taking damage on that turn. You can use this to dodge moves with a charge-up time, for example, or in Double Battles to guard while your partner lets loose with a move that hits everything. Trying to use it more than once in a row has a high chance of failure, though.

Once Venipede goes down, we’ve got a Timburr on the field.

Blitzle, Please (2)

I mean, that Timburr was pretty tough.

One Healing Later…

A Wild Venipede! Our bug collection only grows, and where better to keep them than in a Net (ball)?

Venipede doesn’t look very centipedey to me, but I’m no entomologist. I saw a worm being born from a cocoon once as a kid, though.

There’s no joke that’s just a story.

Further down the path, we encounter one of the gimmicks of Pinwheel Forest (and an Antidote).

That’s right, it’s that it’s not structurally sound! Guess we’ve got to use that rotting log as a bridge.

Whoa, hey, you were a green blob in the last screenshot!

Huh?

I guess we’re doing this.

get out of my house

Ma’am, I don’t think a Berry counts as a power.

So, yes, the real gimmick is that sometimes, those little green mounds are Rangers hiding in the woods, waiting to jump out at random passerby because Unova’s parks budget must be in the Trubbish.

Sounds good to me.

Blitzle and I are rocking the same expression right now.

It also learns Flame Charge, a move that’s great on a Fire Type Pokemon with high Attack! Blitzle is neither of these things, but I slap it on anyway for type coverage reasons.

If nothing else, the Rangers are at least as generous as they are incompetent.

Behold the graphical might of the Nintendo DS! Watch as we traverse a diagonal log!

Up the log? Yeah. You know, you probably could have just rolled that away and we’d be hosed.

Two can play at this game, pal.

At least he admits when he’s padding the update. I will not.

Lots of these hollowed out stumps contain items. They aren’t hidden or anything, just kinda sitting out there. I’m not complaining, though, free status cures are nice.

I knew those three blobs looked suspicious!

Keep your dirty Super Effective tongue off of my beautiful floral boy!

Look what you’ve done to him!

I skip it, because Watchog’s got that on lock for now, and also I don’t really like Hypnosis much.

As you may notice, the path splits in two here. Progress is through the log, but let’s see if we can’t find anything interesting to the south.

This area looks really nice, and I really enjoy that! I joke about them sometimes, but the visuals in B/W are very good, especially for a DS game.

Grass Knot is like Low Kick, dealing damage based on Weight, but it’s Grass instead of Fighting type. Not great, but not bad to have on hand.

We can’t do anything with this other item yet, sadly. Let’s look longingly at it for a few moments before getting back on track.

All done?

Good, now back to the log.

: That can’t be helped, but...I’ll take you on now!

This guy has three Pokemon, which qualifies him to be the final boss of this area, I guess.

One of them is still Patrat, though.

Next up is a Sandile, nothing Leaf Tornado can’t handle.

And, finally, another Patrat. Goes the same way as all the ones from Lenora’s gym.

I just wanted to highlight how good Timburr’s attack growth is. This veiny little weirdo is gonna punch the game in half for us.

BONE RECOVERY COMPLETE

How many dreams involve skulls?

Surprise, an elderly man appears from the woods!

: I’m mortified that this skull, which we went to so much trouble to obtain, was stolen from us so easily.

So uh there’s no official art of Gorm, luckily I’m an LP Professional and I’ve got us covered in the realm of Sages.

: It’s not important. We can afford to abandon the Dragon Skull. According to the results of our research, this is not the legendary Pokemon for which Team Plasma is looking. It is completely unrelated.

Well, yeah, that was a Dragonite. C’mon, even I could tell you that.

: We will fix it so you never interfere with us again.

: The bug Pokemon were getting all worked up, so here I come, and what do I spy with my little eye?

Why are you rhyming?

: Are you here to help your friends, whom I defeated?

: The others didn’t have anything… And who are you supposed to be? Is this guy the big boss?

: Ghetsis, another of the Seven Sages, will liberate Pokemon with words alone! The remainder of the Seven Sages have ordered their compatriots to take Pokemon with full force! But the odds are a little against us now.

I’m feeling pretty left out of your bizarre cult rant, Gorm.

: Know your enemies, know yourself, and you need not fear the result of a hundred battles… This time, we shall retreat quietly. To secure the liberation of Pokemon, we will steal Pokemon from Trainers! Even though you are Gym Leaders, we will not tolerate any further obstruction from you. In any case, we will settle this someday. I hope you are looking forward to that time as much as I...

So speedy I missed the shot of them leaving. :v:

: What are you planning to do, Burgh? Are you going to chase them?

: Hmmm...We got back the stolen skull, and if we corner them, there’s no telling what they might do. I think I’ll be heading back, Lenora...

: Castelia City’s Pokemon Gym. Yes, indeed. I’m certainly looking forward to it!

: Jagen! You’re holding the Dragon skull you worked so hard to get back, right?

We don’t actually get to walk around with the Skull in our inventory. I know you’re disappointed.

: Jagen, thank you so much. With a kind Trainer like you taking care of them, the Pokemon with you must be happy. Here is a token of my gratitude. Please use it carefully!

I could explain this item, but I’ve learned my lesson, so I’ll wait for the NPC to do it.

: This is a Moon Stone! Some Pokemon evolve when you use this item on them.

Pretty simple, but that’s what it does!

And that’s all for this first run through Pinwheel Forest! Almost!

Okay, now that’s all. Hopping off of this ledge will take us back to the main route.

Speaking of, the main route’s got some extra trainers on it!

Blitzle, Please (3)

This woman isn’t a trainer, I just wanted to tell you all about phytoncides.

Hey, not bad!

But not rock.

This is a very niche move Timburr learns at level 20. The power doubles if used on a sleeping Pokemon, not that Timburr’s likely to be putting anything to sleep on its own.

This trainer’s just got a pretty buff Munna, but that can be an issue in its own right. If you have a Dark type, you’ll be fine, though, or just Bite/Crunch it down.

But that’s all we need to do in Pinwheel forest. We got Cottonee, Sewaddle, and Venipede, so that’s all the new Pokemon handled!

...Okay.

You know, fine. It’s fine.

Look! Rustling grass, how lucky for me!

Oh, whoops! That’s not a monkey at all! That’s an evolved Cottonee! OH NO!

what a shame

dang

...But I’ll keep going.

Fine. Okay. You all want the monkeys, I’ll look for the monkeys.

THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT THREAD

And so, Jagen spent a frankly irresponsible amount of time, wandering the forest, in search of Pansage.

Pansage. What is a Pansage? Not in a corporeal sense, but the spiritual. A perversion of the Pokemon world, the idea of an elemental trio twisted violently by cruel Unovan hands into a creature wholly unmemorable and offputting.

A curse, a blight, but a goal, yes, a goal, driving Jagen ever forward, making repetitive loops through the woods to reset the Rustling Grass. But it is only Audino.

It has been roughly one hour.

The stares of the friendly Audino feel like glares now, the looks in their eyes serving no purpose but to mock his unholy quest. Pansage lingers at the back of his mind, laughing, and he mistakes the murmuring for the cruel chittering of his target, diving into another mound of the rustling grass.

But it is only Audino.

It has been a day, and Jagen can no longer trust his senses. He prays for a light in the darkness of Pinwheel Forest, and something glimmers in the distance.

Could it be?

i’vewaitedsolongforyoupansage

Why would I nickname Pansage? It’s already Pansage! We got Pansage, everyone! There it is! Let’s go check out that skull with our new buddy the Pansage! You all wanted Pansage!

And we’re done here, goodnight everybody!

i’m fine

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Oh dear.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
:allears:

wodenspoon
May 2, 2018

I've never been more into Pansage.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Digging how fluffy Whimsicott is. Too bad we already have Marty Marth (thanks autocorrect) for grass coverage though.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh yeah, you can get the evolutions this early. Well hey, saves a Sun Stone!

Monkeys.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
:golfclap:

Nothing outspeeds Blitzle (that's his one, tiny advantage)...but Cottonee has Prankster, which gives priority to status moves. Rip Blitzle (x3).

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I laughed out loud multiple times reading this update. Thanks, you made my day that much better.

I hope Sandile and Venipede will be on the team.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Hurrah Pansage! Now to bench him in box99 and never look at this very real Pansage ever again.:woop:

Your Blitzle experience looks like mine so far. :v:

Okay guys sound off, that so called "whip" the Rangers are holding. Is it a whip or a pokelasso?
My vote is for lasso.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

wodenspoon posted:

I've never been more into Pansage.

Everybody Loves Pansage

Nondevor posted:

Digging how fluffy Whimsicott is. Too bad we already have Marty Marth (thanks autocorrect) for grass coverage though.

I mean, it could still be a Fire Emblem reference if you want.

Simply Simon posted:

Nothing outspeeds Blitzle (that's his one, tiny advantage)...but Cottonee has Prankster, which gives priority to status moves. Rip Blitzle (x3).

Thanks, I was kinda wracking my brain to figure that one out. I totally forgot Prankster was an ability.

Solumin posted:

I laughed out loud multiple times reading this update. Thanks, you made my day that much better.

I hope Sandile and Venipede will be on the team.

Well thanks!

And yeah, I really like Sandile and Venipede's pretty cool. We'll see how it goes, I might switch the team up a bit soon since we've had the same 'mons for a while.

Darth TNT posted:

Okay guys sound off, that so called "whip" the Rangers are holding. Is it a whip or a pokelasso?
My vote is for lasso.

You know I'm on team whip, but I'm interested in the results here.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

You know I'm on team whip, but I'm interested in the results here.

In Red/Blue you had some trainers using whips, so, hey, could be! That said, rangers don't seem like the kind of folk to use whips, so it's more likely a lasso, or even just a generic rope for emergency use.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Darth TNT posted:

My vote is for lasso.

Third option: maybe it's a bolas? I can also see it as a weighted lasso, yeah.

LordHippoman posted:

I mean, it could still be a Fire Emblem reference if you want.

I'll admit that Marty the Whimsicott has a certain ring to it! Even if he remains boxed for most of the LP :v:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
venipede is a very good boy or girl, please use one.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Chronische posted:

In Red/Blue you had some trainers using whips, so, hey, could be! That said, rangers don't seem like the kind of folk to use whips, so it's more likely a lasso, or even just a generic rope for emergency use.

A generic rope where they can use the Pokeball to either get is stuck behind something or just launch a Machamp up the ledge to pull them up seems like a great idea as well.
I especially like the idea that as you slowly scale the mountain this way some 10 year old comes flying by on his Pidgey. The pokemon world is so insane. :allears:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the RGBY Whips I feel like is more an artifact of early planning, and as they focused more on being friends with pokemon Gamefreak quietly removed the whips as they're no longer appropriate.

I do think the pokeball thing is a lasso to kind of give an approximation of the Ranger mechanics.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
I thought we told you not to smoke Pansage! We warned you that you'd be Drowzee!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think Hypnotoad might have gotten bored of wandering around in search of a monkey and turned his powers on his owner.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Faillen Angel posted:

I thought we told you not to smoke Pansage! We warned you that you'd be Drowzee!

Big Pharma is the reason this LP doesn't update more frequently.

golem.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

Big Pharma is the reason this LP doesn't update more frequently.

golem.

Big Pharma said to check your computer. They said they sent you another Potion…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Kheldarn posted:

Big Pharma said to check your computer. They said they sent you another Potion…

Don't listen, it's a Porygon-Z, not a Potion!