Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

gently caress off, it's better to be polite with spoilers than not. Can we get those ads removed?

No need for the hostility, I agree with you. Mods please remove the ad that says Jon kills Daenerys and Bran takes the throne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Arrhythmia posted:

No need for the hostility, I agree with you. Mods please remove the ad that says Jon kills Daenerys and Bran takes the throne

Sorry for being rude.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So that ad came out before the last episode aired. Was there a leak of that last episode? That would have been a hell of a guess.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Yes, there were leaks for the last two episodes before either aired, but due to the number of fake leaks it was unclear which it was going to be. That one however was by far the most likely one, so it was quite known then.

Also, yeah, now it's kinda done anyways, the episode aired a week ago, it was across the media and by now everyone in the internet talked about it, just leave it be. Given the scale of the show it's quite fair to assume that if someone hasn't seen it by now they probably don't really mind the spoiler.

Not that ads in general require to be polite to anyone.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

what is the deal with the weird pseudoscience nutter ad? the link is

http://chng.it/Bn7VyTp4

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

what is the deal with the weird pseudoscience nutter ad? the link is

http://chng.it/Bn7VyTp4
It's talking about this and this, things which are certainly not pseudoscience.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ayin posted:

It's talking about this and this, things which are certainly not pseudoscience.

Yes, those are things, and the weird petition alludes to them, but refers to them as PAWS which (while it can result from benzos) is generally something related to substance use disorders, which the author essentially disavows.

I'm not saying the ad should be nuked, but it is pretty clearly an anti-psychiatric medicine stance, which is generally rooted in pseudoscience..

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i should rephrase my original post: what is the deal with this petition that seems to be written by someone who is having a mental health crisis. it's full of conspiracy theories and tangential personal anecdotes

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
ah

nonzero chance it was written by someone undergoing both of those conditions :rip:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

That banner ad for the FF7 remake is an Amazon affiliate link, right? Aren't those against the rules? And it's telling people to preorder which is like recruiting for a death cult but with other people's money.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
as long as they paid $30 it can be for any commercial purpose afaik

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
there are a few ads that create prompts to download a Js file.

s.js from aa.agkn.com

I have been cancelling it cause I don't know what the gently caress that poo poo is.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
The Music Hall at Fair Park ad opens up a new tab every time I drag my mouse over it. Does it do that for anyone else?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

https://scarboil.com/index.php?threads/friend of the family-thread.8/

This is a currently running ad on our site and that is the third thread I clicked on after looking for an into thread there to what the site was about. Not a great place to have linked, maybe it's within the rules, bringing it to the attention of Ad Lookers either way.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

ELO Musk posted:

This is a currently running ad on our site and that is the third thread I clicked on after looking for an into thread there to what the site was about. Not a great place to have linked, maybe it's within the rules, bringing it to the attention of Ad Lookers either way.

Seconding the poo poo out of this, holy gently caress. This site is like if you took FYAD but crammed 4chan into it, going by the few threads there are.

A perma should be applied to the person who purchased this ad.

Iamgoofball fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 20, 2019

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Is that one of these meltdown forums made by SA permabans? It somehow appears like that.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Goons Are Great posted:

Is that one of these meltdown forums made by SA permabans? It somehow appears like that.

When I looked at it earlier, the newest member was OXBALLS DOT COM so it most likely is.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ELO Musk posted:

Uggg, looking, will do what I can.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Goons Are Great posted:

I think it's a reboot of skullmund based on the shitheads that post there.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
It's $30 for the spine and basically no one clicks on that stupid banner on the bottom anyways.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Snazzy Frocks posted:

It's $30 for the spine and basically no one clicks on that stupid banner on the bottom anyways.

the banners on this website are like the only ads I ever click on

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Dunno why people think it's a really cool and good idea to make this website a place where racists can pay to broadcast their racism. Seems like if people are consistently racist you would not want to be around them or see what they have to say, even if they give you money.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The ad no longer links to scarboil.com

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

Dunno why people think it's a really cool and good idea to make this website a place where racists can pay to broadcast their racism. Seems like if people are consistently racist you would not want to be around them or see what they have to say, even if they give you money.

depends how desperate Lowtax is for money (probably very). At this point they will have just gotten some free advertising. Maybe there should be a more manual approval process for ads :shrug:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

imgay posted:

depends how desperate Lowtax is for money (probably very). At this point they will have just gotten some free advertising. Maybe there should be a more manual approval process for ads :shrug:
That would require touching the poop godforsaken forum code.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Thinking about buying some ads for the GOONPAC thread. That's definitely under the banner of 'nonprofit', correct? And it's definitely okay as long as there's nothing NWS there, correct?

I wouldn't normally ask, but SA's not exactly historically consistent with how they handle politics and partisanship.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
hey so that MAKE SOMETHING AWFUL AGAIN banner ad links to a Photoshop thread I think the site would be better off just deleting. It wasn't okay in 2005 either, but holy poo poo? straight up hard -ER n-bomb on page 9. We're better than this.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

hey so that MAKE SOMETHING AWFUL AGAIN banner ad links to a Photoshop thread I think the site would be better off just deleting. It wasn't okay in 2005 either, but holy poo poo? straight up hard -ER n-bomb on page 9. We're better than this.

You can't delete history, maaaan.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Facebook Aunt posted:

This isn't even ironically funny.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Agreed. And take down the openly transphobic and trans-shaming Fashion SWAT entries too. It’s a horrendous look for the site, and they’re not hard to find.

quote:

Zack: "Emotionally transgendered" is pretty much the definition I think of when I derisively call someone a human being. You can throw dicks up asses all you want, you can be Carson from Queer Eye in a faded pink Morrissey shirt, but you're just gay. This guy is a loving human being.

Dr. Thorpe: Come on, it might not be his fault. Some people are just born this guy and just have to sail where the wind takes them, even if it's into gothic pagan kitten-fairy pajamaland

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

There is some truth to this.

I just checked and the Offensive Cereals photoshop thread is easily accessible on the Wayback Machine, for instance.

Rather than deleting content and leaving the door wide-open to "oh yeah, SA used to be horrible and here is proof!" stuff maybe a better approach would be a sort of gas chamber for front page content? Keep the content but put it in a place clearly labeled as being disavowed, regretted, and disowned? Something like that?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

There is some truth to this.

I just checked and the Offensive Cereals photoshop thread is easily accessible on the Wayback Machine, for instance.

Rather than deleting content and leaving the door wide-open to "oh yeah, SA used to be horrible and here is proof!" stuff maybe a better approach would be a sort of gas chamber for front page content? Keep the content but put it in a place clearly labeled as being disavowed, regretted, and disowned? Something like that?

It would still represent the site. This isn’t a public library, nor an online textbook about internet bigotry in the 2000s. It’s an entertainment site and a private business.

Ads are being served on these pages right now. Would they be served in said hypothetical gas chamber (also could we drop some of the gas chamber poo poo, seeing as how 1488 incarnate is the president of the United States?) too, thus bringing SA revenue from their inclusion?

And putting them all in a repository with a big fat THIS IS WHERE WE KEEP ALL OF THE OLD OFFENSIVE AND BIGOTED CONTENT. WE DISAVOW ALL THE STUFF IN HERE. HERE BE DRAGONS, RACIST JOKES, AND QUEERBASHING. KEEP OUT PLS, UNLESS YOU ARE A HISTORIAN WHO WANTS TO SEE WHAT SA USED TO BE LIKE would just make it easier for bigots and white nationalists to find and copy all of the stuff.

Like if you put it all in one place with a big sign on the front then you might as well post links to it on 4chan/T_D/etc too, because that’s 100% what would happen anyway.

Let the Wayback Machine serve its purpose as a historical record of internets past and let SA move forward without continuing to chain itself to this boat anchor of poo poo.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Well, it was just a thought. I don't have strong feelings about it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Got to say, those cereals are offensive.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It would still represent the site. This isn’t a public library, nor an online textbook about internet bigotry in the 2000s. It’s an entertainment site and a private business.

Ads are being served on these pages right now. Would they be served in said hypothetical gas chamber (also could we drop some of the gas chamber poo poo, seeing as how 1488 incarnate is the president of the United States?) too, thus bringing SA revenue from their inclusion?

And putting them all in a repository with a big fat THIS IS WHERE WE KEEP ALL OF THE OLD OFFENSIVE AND BIGOTED CONTENT. WE DISAVOW ALL THE STUFF IN HERE. HERE BE DRAGONS, RACIST JOKES, AND QUEERBASHING. KEEP OUT PLS, UNLESS YOU ARE A HISTORIAN WHO WANTS TO SEE WHAT SA USED TO BE LIKE would just make it easier for bigots and white nationalists to find and copy all of the stuff.

Like if you put it all in one place with a big sign on the front then you might as well post links to it on 4chan/T_D/etc too, because that’s 100% what would happen anyway.

Let the Wayback Machine serve its purpose as a historical record of internets past and let SA move forward without continuing to chain itself to this boat anchor of poo poo.

word?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

For me it's the Amazon referral banner ad that I want removed. Those were always loving scummy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im sort of perversely interested in how this sites ad operations are set up because its my career but at the same time I like the ads as they are and how they function.

Except the amazon referral ads.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Anyone can make an amazon referral link right? You post it and if some bambino buys whats on the page, you get a cut?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Putty posted:

Anyone can make an amazon referral link right? You post it and if some bambino buys whats on the page, you get a cut?

I believe it's worse, if you click it, and you buy anything at all from Amazon in the next 24 hours, you get a cut. Dr. Eldarion would know, they have Coupons & Deals as their personal referral space it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I do like the idea of posting a follow up saying why its bad and how SA's ideals have evolved and grown