Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Tacier posted:

Failure to prevent a spark during activities that don't traditionally cause sparks isn't carelessness. Now if you're in the middle of your tinderbox backyard going to town on a chunk of metal with an angle grinder, that might be a different story.
Striking stone with metal or metal with metal pretty often causes sparks. That's why there are signs advising people pulling trailers to avoid dragging tow chains: the sparks can set grass near the road on fire. And that's putting aside the wisdom of attacking a yellow jacket nest by trying to pound a stake into it.

I'd feel differently if he had been doing something that wasn't likely to cause sparks or heat.

E: or if, living on property that was clearly ready to burn at the slightest spark, he had some sort of mitigation or fire suppression plan beyond "Yee haw, four wheelin!"

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I just feel that the missing part in that story is him pouring a few gallons of fuel onto the nest. Rebar doesn't scare off hornets, it just makes them angrier.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

E: or if, living on property that was clearly ready to burn at the slightest spark, he had some sort of mitigation or fire suppression plan beyond "Yee haw, four wheelin!"

He did, it just wasn't bolded in The Glumslinger's post (presumably because it wasn't as funny):

quote:

He then tried to use water from the water tank to douse the fire, but the polyurethane tubing became “kinked from the heat of the fire and restricted the water flow,” the report said.

From there, he “then tried to use a 1˝-inch PVC water line connected to the water tanks, but was unable to get enough water pressure to reach the fire.”

So finally, he jumped in his four-wheeler and tried to get in front of the fire traveling uphill, so he could kick dirt on it with his tires, but in the process, “he lost control of his four-wheeler and had to jump off.”

That’s when he ran back down to his house, called 911 and turned on his water pumps for the firefighters who would come, the report said.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

VikingofRock posted:

He did, it just wasn't bolded in The Glumslinger's post (presumably because it wasn't as funny):

Dead Reckoning posted:

Also this dude almost certainly lost everything he owned in that fire too. It's not like he carelessly tossed a cigarette butt and left. He's as much a victim of his innocent mistake as everyone else.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Morbus posted:

someone should arrest whoever made that hammer asap

thats dumb, just ritually destroy it on tv and pronounce the curse lifted

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

VikingofRock posted:

Given the complete ineffectiveness of grabbing a hose that doesn't work when it's hot to fight a fire, I think it's a bit rich to call what he did "a plan"

Keyser_Soze posted:

I just feel that the missing part in that story is him pouring a few gallons of fuel onto the nest. Rebar doesn't scare off hornets, it just makes them angrier.
Eh, CalFire arson investigators are pretty thorough. If they found accellerant residue at the site, I think it would be mentioned.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Keyser_Soze posted:

I was thinking idling the ATV with the hot exhaust on the grass. Not to get all internet detective- this is all pointless speculation, but the hammer and rebar doesn’t seem too plausible.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
When me and my guys are in the field, we have ways of mitigating the heat from our trucks when we park on the grass. That's because we know that's a way of starting a fire. The hammer thing actually sounds plausible to me because it seems so farfetched that a normal person would not be prepared for it to happen.

Also, having lived in the rural south, attacking a yellowjacket nest with a stake is absolutely something I've seen people do way too often.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Leperflesh posted:

We have a concept in criminal law called mens rea, meaning, state of mind. It fundamentally underlines the concept of culpability. It says that what actually happened, while important, is mitigated or exacerbated by what the person intended or was thinking. This is the only difference between different degrees of murder, for example; premeditation makes the killing worse than if it was an impulse, spur of the moment thing; and that in turn is still worse than if it was unintended but caused by recklessness, and still less if it was merely negligence. Negligence is the lowest form of culpability; beyond that, a person may have done an act, but they're not guilty of a crime, because they acted in a reasonable manner that any normal person might have acted.

This is correct and good. Although it's not always easy for a courtroom to determine the state of someone's mind, their actions often telegraph it. In this case, that farmer was, at worst, negligent in some way. The courts often use a "reasonable man" theory to test that idea: would a reasonable person, equipped with the knowledge that a normal person or a person in their profession or position would have, have known better or acted in a better way?

In this case, you could argue that a reasonable person would have understood that there was a fire danger; but, most people probably don't consider that hammering a stake in the ground could cause a fire. I doubt his actions would be judged as rising to the level of even negligence, and certainly nowhere near deliberate action. If he was found guilty of anything, you'd expect in a case like this he'd get the bare minimum penalty for committing a misdemeanor. Perhaps a fine or something.

Regardless: our "current theories of negligence" are pretty solidly spot on, when the courts and laws operate as written and intended. There are miscarriages of justice all the time, of course, but those failings are not remedied by throwing random innocent mistake-makers into jail for decades. That's not justice, and it's a piss-poor way to try to steer society into being more responsible, too.

Leperflesh, this idea is increasingly becoming not a very commonly accepted ethical principle.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If only we had a plan for dealing with the bad post fires that start whenever Dead Reckoning sharts his way into the thread.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The mods just probate anyone who tells him to go gently caress himself so he gets the thread to himself. Problem solved.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's another fire in Fairfield, and evacuations are under way.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

we could probably save time and money if we just executed the people in the area instead of evacuating them, odds are good one of them caused the fire

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Let's be honest here, they all caused the fire by perpetuating human habitation in a fire-prone area. Every single one of them is at fault for not setting an example whereby there would be no one around to be blamed for a fire starting in that area.

Let me guess, none of them did anything to mitigate it either? Did they even have a plan for doing so? Gross negligence.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

we need to dig up james fremont and do a cadaver synod

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Grand Prize Winner posted:

we need to dig up james fremont and do a cadaver synod

Down with this, except it should be William Jaird Levitt on trial.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Freak accidents don't exist and if something bad happens you need to pin it on somebody no matter how tenuous and then cut their loving heads off in full view of the public.

Only then will the Ancient Gods be appeased.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

silence_kit posted:

Leperflesh, this idea is increasingly becoming not a very commonly accepted ethical principle.

I'm not sure if there's been a survey or something, but if that's true, it's unfortunate.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

VikingofRock posted:

That's not a fire suppression system, and sounds a lot more like a private well system that he tried to run a hose from.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Turtlicious posted:

I've been kicked out of that starbucks before because my smell offended customers, and when I said I just wanted to use the restroom I was told no because a different homeless person did drugs in there once. This was in 2010, 2009?

Though the whole point is moot because I think they put bathroom in the red line now?

At Hollywood and Venice? I haven't seen it. Hmm....

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Freak accidents don't exist and if something bad happens you need to pin it on somebody no matter how tenuous and then cut their loving heads off in full view of the public.

Only then will the Ancient Gods be appeased.
I guess the difference is that I see "Sparks from striking metal on metal/stone igniting your tinderbox ranch" as an eminently foreseeable outcome and not a freak accident.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I think that this take of "there should be consequences for events you had absolutely no control over" perfectly exemplifies the mindset of people like you who are more concerned with punishment and retribution than justice. Though again, I'm being generous in assuming that this is truly what you believe and not a deliberately rear end-backwards opinion you've whipped out to ensure that every post you make in this thread is offensive to the senses. I truly wish that the mods would finally step up and ban you from this thread like they banned you from the Current Events thread. Also,

Woa woa, wait a sec. here. PG&E?

The Pacific Gas and Electric Corporation (NYSE:PCG) is facing upwards of $30 billion in liabilities for its alleged fault in dozens of wildfires between 2017 and 2018, including November’s ‘Camp Fire’ – now the single most destructive wildfire in California’s history. This is a big problem for a utility that has a net present value of roughly $12 billion and only $2 billion worth of insurance coverage. It is also a blow for California’s proclaimed transition to renewable energy by 2045.

Long before the failure suspected in the Paradise fire, a company email had noted that some of PG&E’s structures in the area, known for fierce winds, were at risk of collapse. It reported corrosion of one tower so severe that it endangered crews trying to repair the tower. The company’s own guidelines put Tower 27/222 a quarter-century beyond its useful life — but the tower remained.

-------

Yeah, there should be criminal consequences for this.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's super cool that CPUC caved and let PG&E go forward with the solution of "we'll just shut power off for millions upon millions of paying customers when it gets hot and windy while continuing to neglect our aging infrastructure" instead of putting the execs in jail and nationalizing all of their California assets.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sydin posted:

It's super cool that CPUC caved and let PG&E go forward with the solution of "we'll just shut power off for millions upon millions of paying customers when it gets hot and windy while continuing to neglect our aging infrastructure" instead of putting the execs in jail and nationalizing all of their California assets.

They should absolutely 100% be doing both, not either/or. Even best case scenario, PG&E is decades behind on maintenance of thousands and thousands of miles of lines, and regardless of who belongs in jail, being fully willing to shut down lines when they overheat instead of worrying about paying customers is a critical requirement to avoid or minimize future fires like the Camp fire.

Like they've had multiple fires now that could have been avoided if they'd been quicker to shut down lines instead of worrying about the negative press and angry customers involved with shutting power off.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

VideoGameVet posted:

Woa woa, wait a sec. here. PG&E?

The Pacific Gas and Electric Corporation (NYSE:PCG) is facing upwards of $30 billion in liabilities for its alleged fault in dozens of wildfires between 2017 and 2018, including November’s ‘Camp Fire’ – now the single most destructive wildfire in California’s history. This is a big problem for a utility that has a net present value of roughly $12 billion and only $2 billion worth of insurance coverage. It is also a blow for California’s proclaimed transition to renewable energy by 2045.

Long before the failure suspected in the Paradise fire, a company email had noted that some of PG&E’s structures in the area, known for fierce winds, were at risk of collapse. It reported corrosion of one tower so severe that it endangered crews trying to repair the tower. The company’s own guidelines put Tower 27/222 a quarter-century beyond its useful life — but the tower remained.

-------

Yeah, there should be criminal consequences for this.

Lol, no, some random farmer. PG&E is absolutely culpable.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Leperflesh posted:

They should absolutely 100% be doing both, not either/or. Even best case scenario, PG&E is decades behind on maintenance of thousands and thousands of miles of lines, and regardless of who belongs in jail, being fully willing to shut down lines when they overheat instead of worrying about paying customers is a critical requirement to avoid or minimize future fires like the Camp fire.

Like they've had multiple fires now that could have been avoided if they'd been quicker to shut down lines instead of worrying about the negative press and angry customers involved with shutting power off.

I was lead to believe the issue was more their unwillingness to replace ancient and way past rated-service time infrastructure and lines, and being lazy about trimming and brush removal near high voltage. I admit though that I've only read second hand news reports about the investigations, not the actual investigations themselves. Was it proven some of these fires would have happened even with proper maintenance and infrastructure, just because temperatures got to a point where it was unsafe for any line to run at all? That doesn't sound like something out of the realm of possibility I guess, I just hadn't heard it to this point.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Leperflesh posted:

It is either/or though, and I'm sure you'll be shocked which one is the either and which one is the or!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
https://twitter.com/eedugdale/status/1138508611674447872

Just take the homes folks. Just move in.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm honestly considering running for city council solely on instituting a tax on unoccupied property, just to see what happens.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

In LA?

Actually, I don't care, you should do it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sydin posted:

I was lead to believe the issue was more their unwillingness to replace ancient and way past rated-service time infrastructure and lines, and being lazy about trimming and brush removal near high voltage. I admit though that I've only read second hand news reports about the investigations, not the actual investigations themselves. Was it proven some of these fires would have happened even with proper maintenance and infrastructure, just because temperatures got to a point where it was unsafe for any line to run at all? That doesn't sound like something out of the realm of possibility I guess, I just hadn't heard it to this point.

PG&E officialls wilfully and repeatedly refused for decades to do enough maintenance. After the san mateo gas explosion, PG&E established a maintenance budget, but then failed to even spend the money they had budgeted, preferring to return profits to the shareholders. The executives involved in those decisions in my opinion committed crimes, and should be prosecuted: their decisions killed people.

Irrespective of those failures, however, right now today we live in a situation where there are thousands of miles of lines that become dangerous when they get too hot, which is a function of both the weather and demand on those lines. PG&E should shut down lines when they get too hot, and in the past, we've seen cases where they were warned by monitoring equipment or by phone calls from witnesses that there was a problem, and they did not act quickly enough to shut lines down. The correct and safe approach is a proactive one, where lines at risk are shut down before they start sagging into trees, showering sparks on the ground, etc. Preventative blackouts suck rear end for customers and are a consequence of blatant malfeasance by PG&E executives and, by extension, the fallout of the original decisions surrounding making PG&E a for-profit, publicly traded company. But it's stupid to demand that they stop doing it now, or even to sarcastically criticize them now for doing it. They need to do it, people die when they don't.

We deserve properly maintained infrastructure, and we don't have it today, and even in the absolute best case scenario (the state takes over the company, zeroes out the stock, and pours billions into deferred maintenance) it'd still be decades before we get it. In the meantime, yes, they should shut down lines when they get too hot, to prevent fires.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 12, 2019

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Leperflesh posted:

PG&E officialls wilfully and repeatedly refused for decades to do enough maintenance. After the san mateo gas explosion, PG&E established a maintenance budget, but then failed to even spend the money they had budgeted, preferring to return profits to the shareholders. The executives involved in those decisions in my opinion committed crimes, and should be prosecuted: their decisions killed people.

Irrespective of those failures, however, right now today we live in a situation where there are thousands of miles of lines that become dangerous when they get too hot, which is a function of both the weather and demand on those lines. PG&E should shut down lines when they get too hot, and in the past, we've seen cases where they were warned by monitoring equipment or by phone calls from witnesses that there was a problem, and they did not act quickly enough to shut lines down. The correct and safe approach is a proactive one, where lines at risk are shut down before they start sagging into trees, showering sparks on the ground, etc. Preventative blackouts suck rear end for customers and are a consequence of blatant malfeasance by PG&E executives and, by extension, the fallout of the original decisions surrounding making PG&E a for-profit, publicly traded company. But it's stupid to demand that they stop doing it now, or even to sarcastically criticize them now for doing it. They need to do it, people die when they don't.

We deserve properly maintained infrastructure, and we don't have it today, and even in the absolute best case scenario (the state takes over the company, zeroes out the stock, and pours billions into deferred maintenance) it'd still be decades before we get it. In the meantime, yes, they should shut down lines when they get too hot, to prevent fires.

bUt pRiVaTiZiNg rEsUlTs iN A BeTtEr pRoDuCt aNd lOwEr cOsTs

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Leperflesh posted:

I'm not sure if there's been a survey or something, but if that's true, it's unfortunate.

I was under the impression it was becoming less popular as a legal principle, because for white-collar crimes it's a pain in the rear end to prove.

For ethical concerns it doesn't matter how hard it is to establish, so it's not as big a deal there. And if you don't like it, I think you wind up having to bite some really wacky bullets, right? Like "Intelligent people are capable of being more ethical than the average person".

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

nrook posted:

I was under the impression it was becoming less popular as a legal principle, because for white-collar crimes it's a pain in the rear end to prove.

For ethical concerns it doesn't matter how hard it is to establish, so it's not as big a deal there. And if you don't like it, I think you wind up having to bite some really wacky bullets, right? Like "Intelligent people are capable of being more ethical than the average person".

"Strict liability" crimes, such as many statutory crimes, often ignore or exclude mens rea, that's true. The one everyone is familiar with, statutory rape, is an example: it doesn't matter, and the court isn't allowed to consider, any factors having to do with intent; for example, if the underage person had a fake ID showing they were of age, so the older person thought they were in the clear; the consent involved; etc. The only thing the court can do with statutory rape is determine the facts - if the facts meet the criteria, guilty, that's it, intent can't be considered. There are a bunch of strict liability crimes, however, and many of them were written not by legislators, but by regulators creating statutory laws. One example I read about, that stuck with me as emblematic of short-sighted strict-liability resulting in injustice: regulators might create a fine for trafficking in the parts of endangered animals, without providing for a mens rea defense; then some random person visiting a park picks up a feather off the ground, it's from a spotted owl, a zealous cop and prosecutor press charges, and bam that person is fined $10,000 or something, nevermind they made a totally innocent decision that the bureaucrats writing the law never contemplated. There's no jury either, in many of these statutory crimes, so jury nullification often isn't even an option, not that that really happens much anyway even when it is.

I think it's good to go beyond Wikipedia to understand this stuff - I've done a fair bit of reading, although I'm not a lawyer - but this strikes me as a good summary:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mens_rea#United_States

So "less popular" is kind of true, in the sense that the modern penal code takes a more refined and carefully parsed interpretation of mens rea. But, I wasn't sure if you were saying that even this approach to the concept of culpability was going out of style or becoming unpopular among legislators or law professors or something? That may well be true: I'm just an amateur with some casual interest in the law, I'm not like, tuned in to the current state of legal theory. But I'd find that pretty disappointing. I think that when you penalize people for doing "bad things" when they had no intention or even negligence, you're just exercising power for the sake of power, appeasing the demands of the mob for results, and grinding innocent people up under the wheels of expediency and political campaign "tough on crime" points. That's gross and IMO actively harmful to society, because when people figure out that they're living under a capricious and arbitrary oppression, they either give up on obeying the rules and you get deeply ingrained corruption and paranoia, or they bust out the pitchforks and guillotines. Or sometimes both at once.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 12, 2019

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VideoGameVet posted:

At Hollywood and Venice? I haven't seen it. Hmm....

uh yeah, you wouldn't because there is no Hollywood and Venice in LA???? They literally run parallel to each other. Do you not even fuckin live here?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

uh yeah, you wouldn't because there is no Hollywood and Venice in LA???? They literally run parallel to each other. Do you not even fuckin live here?

Brain fart. I meant Hollywood and Vine. Sorry.

I work at Vine and Yucca. Live in Carlsbad and come up to LA to work during the week (Amtrak+Subway+Folding Bike). So I know that station (Hollywood and Vine) and use it at least 2x a week.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Just go to the pie shop on hollywood theyre liberal and will let you use the bathroom regardless of incomism

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Leperflesh posted:

"Strict liability" crimes, such as many statutory crimes, often ignore or exclude mens rea, that's true. The one everyone is familiar with, statutory rape, is an example: it doesn't matter, and the court isn't allowed to consider, any factors having to do with intent; for example, if the underage person had a fake ID showing they were of age, so the older person thought they were in the clear; the consent involved; etc. The only thing the court can do with statutory rape is determine the facts - if the facts meet the criteria, guilty, that's it, intent can't be considered. There are a bunch of strict liability crimes, however, and many of them were written not by legislators, but by regulators creating statutory laws. One example I read about, that stuck with me as emblematic of short-sighted strict-liability resulting in injustice: regulators might create a fine for trafficking in the parts of endangered animals, without providing for a mens rea defense; then some random person visiting a park picks up a feather off the ground, it's from a spotted owl, a zealous cop and prosecutor press charges, and bam that person is fined $10,000 or something, nevermind they made a totally innocent decision that the bureaucrats writing the law never contemplated. There's no jury either, in many of these statutory crimes, so jury nullification often isn't even an option, not that that really happens much anyway even when it is.

I think it's good to go beyond Wikipedia to understand this stuff - I've done a fair bit of reading, although I'm not a lawyer - but this strikes me as a good summary:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mens_rea#United_States

So "less popular" is kind of true, in the sense that the modern penal code takes a more refined and carefully parsed interpretation of mens rea. But, I wasn't sure if you were saying that even this approach to the concept of culpability was going out of style or becoming unpopular among legislators or law professors or something? That may well be true: I'm just an amateur with some casual interest in the law, I'm not like, tuned in to the current state of legal theory. But I'd find that pretty disappointing. I think that when you penalize people for doing "bad things" when they had no intention or even negligence, you're just exercising power for the sake of power, appeasing the demands of the mob for results, and grinding innocent people up under the wheels of expediency and political campaign "tough on crime" points. That's gross and IMO actively harmful to society, because when people figure out that they're living under a capricious and arbitrary oppression, they either give up on obeying the rules and you get deeply ingrained corruption and paranoia, or they bust out the pitchforks and guillotines. Or sometimes both at once.

It depends on the level of social responsibility you hold people to. For a corporate entity such as PG&E and its officers we should penalize them for failing in their social duty of not burning us in our homes or choking our air while they deliver our power. Should we hold the random farmer to the same level of social responsibility? That's a harder question. I agree with Dead Reckoning that you accept the risk of sparks whenever you hammer a nail or a stake. Most of the time it doesn't matter. This time it did. We all hold the smoker that throws their lit cigarette butt out of the car window responsible for the fires they cause despite the fact that most of the time it doesn't matter that they do it.

The salience of mens rea is more difficult. For some cases it's clear that it matters because it's not just the crime but the potential for further crime that we fear. It's not the single action, it's the pattern. A murder borne of malignant hate is more heinous to society than one borne of heated passion and is punished accordingly. A single case of negligence doesn't necessarily constitute cause to punish, merely correct. Multiple cases of negligence following correction ceases to be negligence in the eyes of others. The consequence changes social reaction as well. Does mens rea matter when fires burn?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Admiral Ray posted:

We all hold the smoker that throws their lit cigarette butt out of the car window responsible for the fires they cause despite the fact that most of the time it doesn't matter that they do it.

Part of that is because they're disgusting, awful litterers and gently caress them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also it is at least on paper illegal to throw a cigarette butt out the window of your car, even it is pretty much never enforced unless you're a minority doing it right in view of a very bored cop. It's not illegal to drive a stake into the ground on your own property.