Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jimbot posted:

That Star Wars footage looked like it was from a game made entirely by machines under the parameters "action game with Jedi and light platforming." Looked so by-the-numbers and bland. The kind of game you redbox or get when it's 5 dollars in a month. I doubt we'll get any kind of Star Wars game that's out-there with its premise since Disney is in full canon mode right now. When the franchise stops being supremely profitable and they move into "We don't give a poo poo as long as we get paid" mode like Lucas did, we'll probably see some interesting and inspired settings for games but until then, we're pretty much stuck with this stuff.

Tf2 had great set pieces and felt good to move around in. Jedi will hopefully at least have that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think I read that it has a similar Dark Souls mechanic of respawning enemies if you die and limited health pickups

That doesn’t even make sense Star Wars-lore wise

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
my favourite part of playing jedi outcast was online in heavy stance and running down corridors backwards swinging wildly because the backstab was broken

in jedi academy it was using double sabers and the special attack because if you rotated your mouse wildly while doing it it moved the hit boxes of the sabres as well making you a tornado of death

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Lid posted:

my favourite part of playing jedi outcast was online in heavy stance and running down corridors backwards swinging wildly because the backstab was broken

in jedi academy it was using double sabers and the special attack because if you rotated your mouse wildly while doing it it moved the hit boxes of the sabres as well making you a tornado of death

uhhh on my server you bow before you 1v1 duel and doing poo poo like that nets you a ban

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I started God of War and Kratos looked at a tree, hoisted his axe on his shoulder and that's when I realized there was no sound. It's been so long since I used my PS4 that I have built a new computer and it's sound is hooked up via digital optical cable so my surround sound system has just disregarded HDMI sound input from the ps4 or something. I don't wanna mess with it right now so God of War on my next day off.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Fallen Order looks fine to me and lol at how goons always say literally every third person action game is a dark souls rip off

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It doesn’t look like a Dark Souls rip-off but it also does totally resemble dark souls in some ways. I’m not sure why people are adamant about acting like it doesn’t when a bunch of people looked at it and immediately went “hm that looks like they took some ideas from Dark Souls” as well as pointing out why, and the devs even said that it’s what they were aiming for.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In what ways? All I'm seeing as points of reference are "lock on" (most notably done way before Dark Souls existed in Ocarina of Time) and the finishers that bear very slight resemblance to visceral attacks.

All the non combat traversal looks much more like Uncharted, Horizon and God of War.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

And for the record I actually think it looks pretty cool. Although it does look like the gameplay needs a little bit more momentum. The core of it looks pretty good and respawn is a good dev so I’m cautiously optimistic about it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

In what ways? All I'm seeing as points of reference are "lock on" (most notably done way before Dark Souls existed in Ocarina of Time) and the finishers that bear very slight resemblance to visceral attacks.

All the non combat traversal looks much more like Uncharted, Horizon and God of War.

The way lock on works in dark souls is pretty specific to it and it’s obviously being used here. The camera, the way the combat encounters are laid out, the way the health bars work... like it should be obvious to anyone who has played DS that they used it for inspiration, and the devs said they did so it seems like a super weird thing to rail against imo.

And yes it also looks like those other games but pretending it doesn’t resemble dark souls in any way...? Like, why? Yes it very obviously does resemble DS to a noticeable degree.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Playing more bl2 and ugh the level design is so frustrating gotta go the longest route to everything through empty map

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Real hurthling! posted:

Playing more bl2 and ugh the level design is so frustrating gotta go the longest route to everything through empty map

They love their lulls

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
After over five years of having it on PS+ I finally got past being annoyed at the super loud breathing in Outlast and gave it a solid shot.

Glad I did! That’s a pretty neat game. The story gets kind of stupid, but it’s fun.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I rented Uncharted Lost Legacy.

What the gently caress happened to this series? Does this game get better? I got to the point where I am in this open map area. I really have no idea what I should be doing. I am driving around aimlessly... there is no real markers on the map to tell me where to go. It's just annoying terrain and no shooting people.

I think I'm ready to tap out and return it. No money spent, no hard feelings... I am just so used to Uncharted being pretty linear to the point where you can't really get lost if you just move forward down the most logical path. Trying to drive this car around and opening the map and losing all momentum of where I am going it just killing it for me.

Is this game more of the same, or does it get better?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

veni veni veni posted:

And for the record I actually think it looks pretty cool. Although it does look like the gameplay needs a little bit more momentum. The core of it looks pretty good and respawn is a good dev so I’m cautiously optimistic about it.

It looks like the sections of uncharted where you have to punch people.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Lost Legacy is basically exactly that for about eight hours. I thought it was fantastic personally, but it’s definitely different.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

precision posted:

To me the game really looked like someone mildly reskinned Uncharted 4. It wasn't until the fighting started I realized that at least the Star Wars game has a better combat engine. I'd love to see the reactions if the reveal was exactly the same but had the Naughty Dog logo instead of Respawn.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SUNKOS posted:

To me the game really looked like someone mildly reskinned Uncharted 4. It wasn't until the fighting started I realized that at least the Star Wars game has a better combat engine. I'd love to see the reactions if the reveal was exactly the same but had the Naughty Dog logo instead of Respawn.

:rolleyes:

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Star wars flagrantly chasing that Too Human money

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

puve posted:

Star wars flagrantly chasing that Too Human money

I don't get this reference

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The star war game looks like rear end and you can take that to the bank.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Astro7x posted:

What the gently caress happened to this series? Does this game get better? I got to the point where I am in this open map area. I really have no idea what I should be doing. I am driving around aimlessly... there is no real markers on the map to tell me where to go. It's just annoying terrain and no shooting people.

I think I'm ready to tap out and return it. No money spent, no hard feelings... I am just so used to Uncharted being pretty linear to the point where you can't really get lost if you just move forward down the most logical path. Trying to drive this car around and opening the map and losing all momentum of where I am going it just killing it for me.

Nope, thats the game as far as I could tell. I quit just a little further than where you are now to make sure.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Real hurthling! posted:

I'm still pretty early but it hasn't bothered me that much yet. At least respawn points are super common

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Rinkles posted:

I don't get this reference

Too Human was touted to be gaming’s next big multi-year long super franchise about tech-magic Vikings from the future (or past!?) and it was just a trash tier game start to finish and wouldn’t have been so wildly chastised if it hadn’t been pushed as the second coming of Christ and it hadn’t taken them like 10 loving years to make an incredibly lame 3rd person shooter.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Too Human was touted to be gaming’s next big multi-year long super franchise about tech-magic Vikings from the future (or past!?) and it was just a trash tier game start to finish and wouldn’t have been so wildly chastised if it hadn’t been pushed as the second coming of Christ and it hadn’t taken them like 10 loving years to make an incredibly lame 3rd person shooter.

Also the devs sued Epic about the support they recoeved and lost so bad every copy of the game was ordered destroyed

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I remember reading an E3 preview for Too Human in a PS1 magazine where it was a future cop story where you were trying to avenge your partner and could replace your body parts with cybernetics but you had to try and stay...TOO HUMAN

Dennis Dyack is a hack

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh I also remember Too Human being a massive nail in the coffin of playable demo discs because the entire industry watched as the preorder sales for the game took a brutal nosedive after they released a demo in like Electronic Gaming Monthly or something.

I remember popping the disc in, excitedly scrolling down and firing it up, and just picking my jaw up off the floor as I played the most boring game imaginable.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It was called Too Human because 2 humans bought it

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Astro7x posted:

lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It was called Too Human because 2 humans bought it

I lol'd

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Astro7x posted:

That area is the one place in the game that's relatively freeform like that and it becomes much more linear from that point on. But also lol because the map tells you exactly where all the temples are.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Astro7x posted:

Lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lost legacy is the best uncharted game after tomb raider 2013

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

on second thought having reviewed the footage some people itt are right, it doesnt look anything like dark souls

in dark souls you drink estus from a flask but in SWFO you drink your estus out of a little robot

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

lmao what? it’s really not hard at all to figure out where you need to go. and yeah there’s only one open section in the whole game and the rest of it is as linear as usual for the series. I have no idea why people are saying the rest of the game is like that, because it really really isn’t.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i need to finish lost legacy, i stopped playing at that open world bit too lol
i usually like that stuff but i picked up uncharted specifically to play a bit of railroad shooter

it is incredibly gorgeous in 4k though, i kept going "okay thats a painting backdrop, thats not real" and ending up driving around it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Lost legacy is the best uncharted game after tomb raider 2013

Please don't disrespect Lost Legacy

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lid posted:

20 years later and I still have nfc what "heavy stance" means in the context of a sword that weighs nothing and cuts through things the same regardless of how fast it's going.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hentai Jihadist posted:

on second thought having reviewed the footage some people itt are right, it doesnt look anything like dark souls

in dark souls you drink estus from a flask but in SWFO you drink your estus out of a little robot

Dark Souls was the first game with on call healing items

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Star Souls sounds awesome idk wtf is wrong with u ppl