Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

lordfrikk posted:

Thank you for the suggestions! Is there any way to unfuck Twitch because I sure would like to play some of the FtB modpacks but the Play button after installing them literally does nothing.

E: Please ignore what I posted before the edit, it is indeed quite messed up.

For older version mods it appears you have to use the MultiMC launcher. It has all legacy FTB mods, along with quite a nice and unobtrusive interface; and what's more it actually works, unlike the legacy and Twitch FTB launchers.

The FTB retro maps I've recommended earlier can be downloaded from here. For standard and insanity you can simply add the zip file in the "Worlds" tab under "Edit Instance" in multimc, that is after first adding the "Feed The Beast Retro SSP" instance via the "Add Instance" button (FTB tab).

For the bonus map (which has a couple extra mods, including optifine among others, and is the one I would use) the process is slightly more complicated. First extract the bonus map archive somewhere where you can find it, then add a vanilla 1.2.5 instance to multimc, run it once and quit, then right click on the new instance and choose "Edit Instance"; then in the "Version" tab click on "Add Forge" and choose the top version (3.4.9.171); then click on "Add to Minecraft.jar" and navigate to the "instMods" subfolder of your extracted bonus map - you want to add everything except forge (NEI, SinglePlayerCommands, CCC and Optifine); then as a final step click on "View Folder" in "Loader Mods", navigate one folder higher and copy over everything from the ".minecraft" subfolder of your extracted bonus map. That should be enough to get everything working, though you might want to rename the instance to something more descriptive than "1.2.5" afterwards.

e2: More modern versions would be FTB sky adventures and FTB sky odyssey, both have a port of equivalent exchange and can be added via MultiMC without any issues. I'm sure there's a lot of new packs but there's a minecraft thread which would be a better place to ask, I don't really know much about the newer packs.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Barotrauma recently released into early access and I've been playing it with some friends. Our endeavors have gone as well as you'd expect, and my first mission ended up me being sucked out of the sub through a hole in the hull and crushed to death outside.

It's very hectic with 3-5 players like we've had but it's a lot of fun, and requires a lot of teamwork. I haven't really followed the development, but I noticed there was a thread from 2017, so it's been in development for a while. So no idea what they're gonna add or what features to expect.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

I've probably played most of the usual suspects but I'm still wondering whether I missed a game or two. I like games where you're not necessarily surviving enemies but elements (think The Long Dark most of the time), you can bootstrap yourself in various ways (Cataclysm) and/or go from scavenging/foraging to more advanced tools and technologies (Rimworld). I want to build a house near a river and build a simple hydro plant on it and live like a hermit, just not in real life :v:

Thank you/drat you for mentioning Cataclysm. It set off a "Oh yeah, I was meaning to check that game out" thought in my head. The game has consumed my life and it's all I've done for the last week.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I got back into The Long Dark recently and decided I wanted some challenge so I left the safety of Voyageur and started a Stalker game.

How the hell do people last 50+ days on this? I'm like a week and a half in on Mystery Lake and I've exhausted most of the man-made supplies. I'm constantly starving and any meager food i get (usually rabbit and fish) is juuuust enough energy to allow me to hunt more rabbit and fish. I haven't any kind of weapon to hunt deer or fend off wolves. I rarely get enough time to explore or venture to the other zones.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

TeaJay posted:

Barotrauma recently released into early access and I've been playing it with some friends. Our endeavors have gone as well as you'd expect, and my first mission ended up me being sucked out of the sub through a hole in the hull and crushed to death outside.

It's very hectic with 3-5 players like we've had but it's a lot of fun, and requires a lot of teamwork. I haven't really followed the development, but I noticed there was a thread from 2017, so it's been in development for a while. So no idea what they're gonna add or what features to expect.

Was I the OP of that thread?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Away all Goats posted:

I got back into The Long Dark recently and decided I wanted some challenge so I left the safety of Voyageur and started a Stalker game.

How the hell do people last 50+ days on this? I'm like a week and a half in on Mystery Lake and I've exhausted most of the man-made supplies. I'm constantly starving and any meager food i get (usually rabbit and fish) is juuuust enough energy to allow me to hunt more rabbit and fish. I haven't any kind of weapon to hunt deer or fend off wolves. I rarely get enough time to explore or venture to the other zones.

exploring is actually resource positive, but you need a vague idea of where to go. if youre just roaming aroudn you are obviously going to die. you should have tons of cat tail stalks at this point too

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Away all Goats posted:

One kind of unintuitive part of TLD is that starving is not nearly as bad as you might assume it is, and it's fine to be starving most of the time if you've got limited food. You burn calories faster when you're doing stuff like walking, running or any kind of work. If you're already at 0 you just start to slowly lose condition, but you'll get that condition back when you sleep, as long as you fill up on the necessary calories before bed. So basically, you should only eat right before you go to sleep, that's the most efficient way to use your calories. On stalker, this will keep you perfectly healthy with something like only 600-800 calories a day, provided you don't lose too much condition to something else

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

super fart shooter posted:

One kind of unintuitive part of TLD is that starving is not nearly as bad as you might assume it is, and it's fine to be starving most of the time if you've got limited food. You burn calories faster when you're doing stuff like walking, running or any kind of work. If you're already at 0 you just start to slowly lose condition, but you'll get that condition back when you sleep, as long as you fill up on the necessary calories before bed. So basically, you should only eat right before you go to sleep, that's the most efficient way to use your calories. On stalker, this will keep you perfectly healthy with something like only 600-800 calories a day, provided you don't lose too much condition to something else

This is pretty much what I was forced into doing, eating just enough so that I wasn't starving while I slept. Guess it's good that I'm on the right track. Still find it really difficult to make treks to other places when a good chunk of my day is spent catching rabbits or burning through fuel so I can fish. I did manage to find a survival bow with a single arrow since my last post so maybe things are looking up.

Verviticus posted:

exploring is actually resource positive, but you need a vague idea of where to go. if youre just roaming aroudn you are obviously going to die. you should have tons of cat tail stalks at this point too

This has not been my experience. I picked Mystery Lake cause it's the map I knew best and the trip to the Dam netted me a whopping ~1000 calories not counting the deer I found outside. The office area in the dam with like 3 dozen drawers and cabinets? There was literally nothing in any of them. I think by the time I returned back to the Camp office I had already consumed all the food I found at the dam and had to go rabbit hunting again.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 27, 2019

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The razor thin balance in TLD is kinda a shame, because blind exploration very rapidly becomes a death sentence, making it a game about memorisation and wiki diving.

First time I jumped into mystery lake I was dropped blind into a forest and wandered near death for two days, hiding overnight in a ruined hut. When I finally found the ranger's hut it was like manna from heaven. That experience was what I was hoping the game would be more of.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Bug Squash posted:

The razor thin balance in TLD is kinda a shame, because blind exploration very rapidly becomes a death sentence, making it a game about memorisation and wiki diving.

First time I jumped into mystery lake I was dropped blind into a forest and wandered near death for two days, hiding overnight in a ruined hut. When I finally found the ranger's hut it was like manna from heaven. That experience was what I was hoping the game would be more of.

That’s exactly my experience! I think if they just made food give 20% more calories I think it would go a long way, but they seem committed to the realism that a can of soda gives 250 calories.

I came back to the game about a year ago & was a little disheartened to find that there are perks that make things easier, but they’re gated by play. It made me feel like I needed to grind a few runs in order to try for a longer game. Even if that’s not true and you can do a no-skill survivor to day 100 if you know what you’re doing, it was a turn-off.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Possibly something you won't get/is hard to get in stalker is the new well-fed buff which boosts your carry capacity and condition specifically as an enticement to play more realistically rather than following the "starve and just eat enough right before bed" tactic. Hinterland decided to take the "carrot" route rather than the "stick" (like make starving have additional penalties).

Stay above zero calories for 72 hours initially to get the buff, and it stays with you until you hit zero again (and resets the timer to regain it) and you get an extra 5 kg/11 lbs of carry weight and an extra 5% condition. It stacks with the moose hide satchel, too.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Away all Goats posted:

This is pretty much what I was forced into doing, eating just enough so that I wasn't starving while I slept. Guess it's good that I'm on the right track. Still find it really difficult to make treks to other places when a good chunk of my day is spent catching rabbits or burning through fuel so I can fish. I did manage to find a survival bow with a single arrow since my last post so maybe things are looking up.

This has not been my experience. I picked Mystery Lake cause it's the map I knew best and the trip to the Dam netted me a whopping ~1000 calories not counting the deer I found outside. The office area in the dam with like 3 dozen drawers and cabinets? There was literally nothing in any of them. I think by the time I returned back to the Camp office I had already consumed all the food I found at the dam and had to go rabbit hunting again.

you should also have picked up like 20 cattail stalks, a pound of venison from a random deer, a bunch of tea, etc

a good way to get food is also to chase a deer into a wolf, and then run close enough that it starts growling and start a fire. it'll run off, chop that deer up for food

Away all Goats posted:

stalker has enough food to stay fed all the time, but interloper, at least early, really requires that you do this. you regain a lot of health when you sleep

you can also use these:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1491002838
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=530202531

until you have a better idea of whats where

Chakan posted:

That’s exactly my experience! I think if they just made food give 20% more calories I think it would go a long way

the game has some of the most robust custom difficulty settings ive ever seen. make it so you dont get hungry as fast, or something

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 28, 2019

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Verviticus posted:

the game has some of the most robust custom difficulty settings ive ever seen. make it so you dont get hungry as fast, or something

Nice, I must've missed them when I last played. I'll take a look.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Thanks I appreciate the tips. I think I'll do a custom game too because while I really like the resource scarcity of Stalker, the fact that the meters deplete faster too makes it impossible to do any kind of exploration or make any mistakes.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

honestly, if you weren't doing starvation before, try that before making it any easier. the difference between being mostly health neutral and spending 900 calories a day vs gaining health and eating 3000 calories a day is huge

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah custom game is probably the way to go for what you'd like to be playing. The other part of Stalker difficulty that I seriously don't like are the stalking murder wolves that start to show up as time goes on- nothing breaks immersion faster than a wolf somehow honing in on you from the other side of the map while there's plenty of deer and rabbits between the two of you ( watched one in Coastal Highway crossing the ice from Quonset all the way to Jackrabbit Island ).

Right now I'm running a random drop Voyager game that put me halfway up Timberwolf Mountain. Summitted the mountain in sneakers so now two weeks in I'm pretty set for nearly everything minus cloth, and more indoor space to put down hides and gut to cure. Probably should descend into Pleasant Valley once I make my deer pants and wolf jacket.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tar_Squid posted:

Yeah custom game is probably the way to go for what you'd like to be playing. The other part of Stalker difficulty that I seriously don't like are the stalking murder wolves that start to show up as time goes on- nothing breaks immersion faster than a wolf somehow honing in on you from the other side of the map while there's plenty of deer and rabbits between the two of you ( watched one in Coastal Highway crossing the ice from Quonset all the way to Jackrabbit Island ).

Right now I'm running a random drop Voyager game that put me halfway up Timberwolf Mountain. Summitted the mountain in sneakers so now two weeks in I'm pretty set for nearly everything minus cloth, and more indoor space to put down hides and gut to cure. Probably should descend into Pleasant Valley once I make my deer pants and wolf jacket.

Maybe humans taste better than rabbits. Don't judge.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

stop carrying piles of freshly slain carcasses on you and the wolves won’t smell you

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Tried out a bit of Green Hell. Graphics are pretty great but having just come off The Forest I am struck by how needlessly complex some of the systems in Green Hell are, like having to drag your mouse around to inspect every side of your limbs for damage, or that there are FOUR nutrition meters you have to check with a wristwatch. Plus the notebook does not immediately cut to you building stuff in front of you blueprint-style like the Forest does, it's just a...cheat sheet and you have to move two or three menus over to build stuff. I'm sure some simulation junkies will love that, but it seems to get in the way of me having fun building treehouses. Your mileage may vary, of course...

Supposedly you actually do go crazy in Green Hell if you don't take care of your mind, you hear voices and crap. I dunno. I might sleep on this one till later this year. Thank god for Steam Refunds...

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Did anyone here play Open Sewer? INFRA is one of my favorite games ever and I've been meaning to check out this one for a while.

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008
Another tip for The Long Dark players who are having trouble with starving: don't settle down into a base camp location until you've found the key tools you need to survive. Exploring, even on the higher difficulties, is a net calorie gain as long as you are actually reaching destinations of interest*. The few canned goods and sodas you find, combined with the random deer carcass, rabbit, and cat tails will give you enough food to keep going. However, once you exhaust these initial resources, you will quickly starve without a more efficient means of getting food. The easiest is to have a rifle to hunt deer or moose with. The rifle is easier to aim and I've found it easier to get the critical head shot to drop the deer where they are. Kill one deer and you get 3 days of food if you're trying to keep the well-fed buff, even longer if you're using the hibernating approach. The survival bow also works, but I have more trouble aiming with it. Snares are also a better way to farm rabbits, as the use of snares doesn't require the rabbits to respawn, whereas hunting them manually does. In interloper I've found that you can generally get a rabbit every day if you have 2 snares are the rabbit grove near the Camp Office, and that combined with fishing can get you through the day with well fed.

*The caveat is that your first dozen games will be a lot about you dying as you learn where things are. One option is to drop down to Voyager so you can get the feel of the land without risking death at every turn. Another option is to bite the bullet and just grind out a few deadly lessons learning one or two regions. A third option that I like is to tailor the difficulty with Custom game mode. Stalker has a lot of nice settings (just the right amount of scarcity, tough weather, etc.) but the number and severity of wolves is to me game-breaking. So I use a custom mode that gives me a hard experience against nature without it being a conga line of furry doom. There's a Youtube video series on The Long Dark called "Against All Odds," and in Season 5, episode 1, the player does a good job breaking down which custom options correspond to which difficulty, allowing you to tailor your game mode to what you want. The downside of this is that you don't get feat progress, but I honestly don't care all that much. I'm currently doing a run at Stalker item availability (so I still get axe, gun, etc. spawns) and Stalker hunger/thirst/temp/fatigue rates, but Interloper weather, item scarcity (empty containers), low healing rate, and reduced wolves. I like having reduced condition replenishment as it forces me to stay fed and makes recovering from mistakes harder. This way my struggle is against weather and solitude, not four-legged doom (though they are problems if you get caught unawares).

Over time you'll get better with practice at the game and your taste might change. For now though, focus on getting items that allow you to hunt, trap, and fish with relative ease (I find fishing a last resort option until you get to level 2-3 at it). Always look for cat tails, and avoid wasting calories on labor-heavy work unless you have no alternatives or you have lots of food on hand.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
There's one challenge mode where the whole goal is to travel around the world and spend a few days in a bunch of different major locations. I think it's on like voyageur difficulty, so it's pretty easy, that might be a nice way to learn the map a bit better

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Griffen posted:

Over time you'll get better with practice at the game and your taste might change. For now though, focus on getting items that allow you to hunt, trap, and fish with relative ease (I find fishing a last resort option until you get to level 2-3 at it). Always look for cat tails, and avoid wasting calories on labor-heavy work unless you have no alternatives or you have lots of food on hand.

also, in general, just dont do work if you have food in your belly. work on starvation

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I bought After the Collapse and MewnBase on the sale. AtC is like a slower worse version of RimWorld and MewnBase is cute looking but pretty bare bones so far.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Speedball posted:

Tried out a bit of Green Hell. Graphics are pretty great but having just come off The Forest I am struck by how needlessly complex some of the systems in Green Hell are, like having to drag your mouse around to inspect every side of your limbs for damage, or that there are FOUR nutrition meters you have to check with a wristwatch. Plus the notebook does not immediately cut to you building stuff in front of you blueprint-style like the Forest does, it's just a...cheat sheet and you have to move two or three menus over to build stuff. I'm sure some simulation junkies will love that, but it seems to get in the way of me having fun building treehouses. Your mileage may vary, of course...

Supposedly you actually do go crazy in Green Hell if you don't take care of your mind, you hear voices and crap. I dunno. I might sleep on this one till later this year. Thank god for Steam Refunds...
Since it came out of EA recently, I just bought Green Hell today and the notebook does go straight to blueprints, at least now. It's also got a ton of discrete difficulty sliders so the first thing I did was turn off the killer cannibals since the game has enough challenge outside of them. I appreciate the four nutrition bars (one's water) because it means you can't just do like you do in most survival games and get the cheapest/easiest food source and just sit on it forever. Construction options have definitely opened up from what I saw when I first heard of the game, too. The body inspection system is mostly just used to check yourself for leeches; when you have a more serious injury to tend to, you'll know it.
I didn't find the interface any more obnoxious than The Forest, personally. And I like the increased survival sim/difficulty levels, since I felt that was really lacking in The Forest. Plus, I have to admit I'm liking the story mode a lot more than I thought I would, especially since I just came for the Survival Mode.
I'll give a more detailed rundown if people are interested or have questions but so far it's not bad even for the price.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
I have had a lot of fun with Ancestors: the Humankind Odyssey. It is a survival simulation game where you play as a primate ancestor and if you survive enough generations you can reach the lofty goal of running around on two legs. You craft primitive tools like pointy sticks and stones and try to learn which plants to eat or rub on yourself to stop bleeding after a big kitty or snek bit you. It is a unique game, some people have had complaints about lack of content but I find that exploring the huge map and evolving your apes is plenty to do. Epic store for the first year, out on Steam autumn 2020. Did I mention I love this game? Because I do. It is the first in a planned series of games detailing early human ancestry.

The game does not hold your hand or explain itself in detail, you either learn stuff by trying them out or watch a competent twitch streamer, which can spoil part of the fun. Best ape simulator ever, I would recommend it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I had a lot of fun with Ancestors but it's a little devoid of content. At the point I was just unlocking "slightly better intelligence/sense marking" I burnt out on it. Definitely fun while it lasted though, and I got a lot of satisfaction out of permanently unlocking bipedalism. It was also interesting how much my playstyle eventually changed - by the time I quit, I mostly travelled on the ground instead of in the trees, because I usually carried a sharpened stick to gently caress up predators with.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://store.steampowered.com/app/383120/Empyrion__Galactic_Survival/
It is my unpopular video game opinion that everyone should play Empyrion Galactic Survival. They released a bunch of new patches recently that have added a lot of cool content and sucked me back in. Empyrion is a survival game in the far future. You are the survivor of a crash landing on a alien planet. All you have is your escape pod and your emergency replicator. You have to gather resources (like minecraft) and build larger replicators until you can build bases and a space ship to escape the planet. But once you escape the planet that's just the beginning! there are other planets, and hostile aliens, and friendly trade hubs, and its just awesome! The best part is the building system. You build all of the vehicles out of part blocks, with different thrusters/shields/armor blocks all making a difference in how your ship is protected and handles. There is of course a huge variety of weapons as well.

I built my base into the side of a mountain as a bunker, this protects my from Zyrax attacks:

I recently got a nice new capital vessel so i buried my old vehicles in a mountain hole and covered it with rubble so the Zyrax cant get to them. I wanted to hold onto them in case of emergency and for nostalgia. They have served me well. The shuttle barge has a small warp drive that i used to explore the immediate solar system. The "Baby Chimp" is a ground vehicle I used to harvest trees:

But those ship are old news this is my brand new Capital Vessel! It has 10x the cargo of my shuttle barge and a full sized warp drive. It also has 2 advanced constructors and full medical bays. There is a space in the back for a small attack fighter, as this capital vessel is otherwise unarmed. The fighter has 5 mini-guns and is more than enough firepower to deal with any Zyrax drones attacks!

With this new ship I should be able to explore the rest of the solar system and get the rarest ores and technologies :haw:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've bought Empyrion a long time ago but never got to play it past the tutorial. It looks like what I wanted No Man's Sky to be.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Emyprion used to suck farts, cause every time you'd ding your ship, you'd have to meticulously go and weld every bit of damage and it was just a ballache. There was also no content. However, they've been churning out patches, and the game is really enjoyable now. Favourite addition was the repair bay, which automatically repaired damage to your ships as long as they were parked in a hangar. Pretty nifty. If you're into it, it's a solid 20+ hours of enjoyment, but I personally got a bit worn out on it much sooner (though I've been sporadically playing since release, going into this brand new would be great). You see all there is to see and the rest is just creativity for the sake of creativity.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lordfrikk posted:

I've bought Empyrion a long time ago but never got to play it past the tutorial. It looks like what I wanted No Man's Sky to be.

Thats basically how I describe Empyrion to people. "Its No Mans Sky, except not a scam". I guess No Mans Sky is good now? I donno I never played it, I spend too much time playing Empryion :v:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Thats basically how I describe Empyrion to people. "Its No Mans Sky, except not a scam". I guess No Mans Sky is good now? I donno I never played it, I spend too much time playing Empryion :v:

NMS is better but I don't know if I'd call it good. They somehow made the base building controls worse than Fallout 4/76 and while there are some neat looking planets, there isn't really anything to do besides catalog rocks and whatever animals you happen upon.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm holding off on Empyrion because its still in alpha. Ancestors sounds neat though, is it reminiscent of Ark in any way?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I played NMS recently with the new updates. My advice is: don't bother. They built this system that's capable of generating an infinite variety of cool looking animals, and what do you do in the game? 95% of your time is looking for the right rocks, then pointing your laser at that rock. Every time you move your ship there's an annoying resource tax, so you're hoofing it half the time.

Each new planet only contains a few species of animal, so it's ridiculously bare and all there is to do is find more drat rocks. Let me explore your universe, you stupid game!

I say all this as someone who genuinely loves a lot of rock mining games. Not this one.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bug Squash posted:

I played NMS recently with the new updates. My advice is: don't bother. They built this system that's capable of generating an infinite variety of cool looking animals, and what do you do in the game? 95% of your time is looking for the right rocks, then pointing your laser at that rock. Every time you move your ship there's an annoying resource tax, so you're hoofing it half the time.

Each new planet only contains a few species of animal, so it's ridiculously bare and all there is to do is find more drat rocks. Let me explore your universe, you stupid game!

I say all this as someone who genuinely loves a lot of rock mining games. Not this one.
From what I can tell the gameplay is mostly about using a jetpack to very slowly fly unreasonably long distances across samey landscapes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Qubee posted:

Emyprion used to suck farts, cause every time you'd ding your ship, you'd have to meticulously go and weld every bit of damage and it was just a ballache. There was also no content. However, they've been churning out patches, and the game is really enjoyable now. Favourite addition was the repair bay, which automatically repaired damage to your ships as long as they were parked in a hangar. Pretty nifty. If you're into it, it's a solid 20+ hours of enjoyment, but I personally got a bit worn out on it much sooner (though I've been sporadically playing since release, going into this brand new would be great). You see all there is to see and the rest is just creativity for the sake of creativity.

My issue is that if a block got knocked off my ship in combat I'd have no idea what and how to put back, so I'd have to keep rippping my ship to bits and use the blueprint to reconstruct it. Does the repair bay replace lost blocks, or only repair damaged ones?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Rutibex posted:

I bought it like a year after release and found it exactly as other people described: very nice engine that someone forgot to put a game in. After 10 minutes of playing you've seen pretty much everything you'll be doing in the game. Most of the time it will be mining poo poo and not much else. As far as I can tell there are no movement upgrades, either, so it's as if in Terraria you stayed the sluggish starting character who can barely jump a tile the whole game.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

From what I can tell the gameplay is mostly about using a jetpack to very slowly fly unreasonably long distances across samey landscapes.

That's the "finding rocks" gameplay loop in action!

It's honestly mind boggling that they decided to go the survival/mining route with the game. Would have been an amazing zen exploration game.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm holding off on Empyrion because its still in alpha. Ancestors sounds neat though, is it reminiscent of Ark in any way?

I haven't tried Ark but from the looks of it they are very different survival games. Ancestors is like a simulation of primitive apes. You start with basically no skills in tool use, and must examine everything you come across to develop even the skill to bash rocks together. The lack of content mentioned by some means that you never get much beyond that skill in terms of technology: sharp sticks and sharp rocks were the pinnacle of innovation for millions of years, when the game takes place. Learning to use plants to your advantage is a bigger part of the discovery process. Your apes do change as generations of evolution go forward. You can become like Lucy, the Australopithecus afarensis found in Ethiopia. In early game you are the prey animal. In late game, your apes are running around on two legs and capable of murdering anything they come across. The game ends before the discovery of fire, that is how far in the past you play.

I have never experienced the kind of adventures I have had in Ancestors, even with some flaws it is a unique experience. If you are interested in our early ancestors and how they survived in a hostile Africa, this game is just awesome. You can consider me biased, I find prehistory fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

My issue is that if a block got knocked off my ship in combat I'd have no idea what and how to put back, so I'd have to keep rippping my ship to bits and use the blueprint to reconstruct it. Does the repair bay replace lost blocks, or only repair damaged ones?

I think (don't quote me) that if the ship is blueprinted when it's fully constructed, repair bays will fix / replace all blocks, without you having to dismember your ship. I remember being very, very happy with it, because that was my main gripe with the game. Ended up avoiding combat because I couldn't deal with the mindnumbing process of returning to base, slowly spotting dents, and buffing them out. Only to have it happen the very next time I got into battle. I started making one-time-use mini ships that I'd just scrap after fighting with. Repair bays totally fixed that.