Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

drgitlin posted:

I hope you realize the ID R was built (on a shoestring, btw) specifically to win Pikes Peak. There’s no point carrying more battery than you need, so why would they weigh it down with unnecessary kWh?

... yes that's kind of specifically my point. You have 20km of battery capacity on this thing and it does 6m-ish at the ring. The 80s vintage prototype 956 with about the same pace would do about 200km between stops. Neither was built to the bleeding edge - I mean, they sold 956s to customers. I could take my credit card and buy club race grade prototype cars with about the same pace.

I just find the whole thing a bit depressing, the more I'm doing the math.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Makes one think what a GT2RS with a tune and hoosiers would do :v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Well when you hear say an Audi S1 at full howl .... they do have a point. It's far more of an experience to hear and feel the sound of an engine bellowing, rather than a mildly ear irritating whine.

I'll happily race EV's, the tech really interests me big time but gently caress spectating when EV's are racing

At some point were going to have fully electric top fuel dragsters burning megawatts of power down a quarter mile strip.

Theres just not the same kind of emotion in an EV compared to an ICE. that vibration you feel in your chest, the rumbling and rolling crescendos of shifting and rev limits, the way you can still hear it long after it passes by, the untethered, beastly nature of it all. In the future car people will be like audiophiles and well be buying magical do nothing rocks to make our cars sound 'nicer' and we will be looked at with disdain and pity. I will miss the ICE when its gone, provided im not dead before then.

But I still do hope that at some point we fix the battery energy density problem.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 8, 2019

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I await the point they burn so much electrical power the spill over radiation fucks with your central nervous system.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

mekilljoydammit posted:

... yes that's kind of specifically my point. You have 20km of battery capacity on this thing and it does 6m-ish at the ring. The 80s vintage prototype 956 with about the same pace would do about 200km between stops. Neither was built to the bleeding edge - I mean, they sold 956s to customers. I could take my credit card and buy club race grade prototype cars with about the same pace.

I just find the whole thing a bit depressing, the more I'm doing the math.

A lot needs to happen with energy density before a BEV race car could really compete with the 919 Hybrid.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Powershift posted:

https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/...prm=&pnLink=yes

These things are starting to come up for sale.

They cost $200k new, and have 2.8 liter navistar i4 diesels that can run on jet fuel and GM 4L70s transmissions. And 4 wheel steering.

Holy poo poo don't. The worst things ever and they only existed due to needing something to fit in the Osprey and not wanting to buy a more competent but foreign product.

The short wheel base ones to tow the mortars are worse.

Aye aye aye I can't even why would anybody want those pieces of garbage I still carry scars on my body from them arrrrghhhh.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Does anyone have a link to the post that inspired the thread title? I can't find it.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

iospace posted:

Does anyone have a link to the post that inspired the thread title? I can't find it.

Your search-fu is weak, old man https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3502478&pagenumber=955&perpage=40#post491735544

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
*snort* MKJD is just the best poster

um excuse me posted:

*Gestures at nearly 6:00 Nurburgring run* but...but...but.

Spectators are the worst. Everyone needs a ride in the ring taxi to show what 6:00 actually means.

And everyone who ever gets to experience a Audi S1 doesnt care. See (hear/feel) the difference?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

drgitlin posted:

A lot needs to happen with energy density before a BEV car could really compete with a petrol one.

Generalizing your quote, that has been true the entire history of the automobile.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mekilljoydammit posted:

I just find it funny that of the two tools VW group is using to reset lap records, one was designed for flawless reliability at 24 hours of race pace and pretty much just has some rules mandated limiters removed to go take lap records... and the electric one generally can only muster about one lap or hillclimb run.

Like yes, the ID-R is pretty neat, but it's telling that a major automotive company's best shot is so short of another car that's just something they had laying around.

It was built to do hill climbs and sprints. Gobs of torque on demand lends itself well to that. The problem is purists are threatened by new tech. Gas cars aren't going anywhere anymore than horse racing went away with the advent of the automobile. Or piston aircraft with the advent of jet engines. There will always be a place. Once we can get over that, maybe we can realize that supporting ventures like this is good for technological advancement to the point where maybe one day you can see full electric at Le Mans. All racing is good, whatever the form.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 9, 2019

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

The problem is that it's not new tech - there's a reason we haven't been driving electric cars the last hundred fifty years or so - and it seems to me that aside from demonstrating edge cases (an engine that doesn't need air at pikes peak is a big advantage) they're not doing a great job demonstrating that it's suddenly come a long way.

After the performance at pikes peak, I was genuinely curious to see what the 'ring lap times would be like! And I was really hoping for more.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thanks!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

um excuse me posted:

The problem is purists are threatened by new tech.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah no we're not. Bring it on.

I'm just going to watch something that tickles all five senses in my spare time tho

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If you have track time under your belt you can appreciate the car and want EV to succeed. If you want loud, go watch fireworks.

The argument "let's see it do a dozen laps" is a stupid one. You wouldnt ask someone to take a dragster to a road course or an endurance car to a drag strip. The cars are designed for a certain kind of racing.

This is just reinforcing that some* spectators are the worst.

*Some spectators are awesome and understand the spirit of competition and how EV is a brand new mountain to conquer and that loud noises couldn't be much less relevant to that.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 9, 2019

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

What part of "I'm just really disappointed" isn't clear? VW made something purpose built to do 20km at full pace - OK not a full season LMP1H budget but not a beer budget either. So fine, obviously it does 20km. But the greater context... I was expecting more, not to be on par with something from 36 years ago that wasn't intended as a one lap wonder. Over and over I hear the BEV people going, well, OK it won't run 24 hours but mate, you just find some performance venue it'll do on one charge and it'll beat anything on earth! Except no, not really so much that either.

I'm just going to be over here working on actual racing poo poo I can actually run at an actual budget I actually have. Feel free to wait for hypothetically some breakthrough in something whereby people of budget smaller than an OEM can race them, I don't see much future in it the way BEV stuff is going.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

um excuse me posted:

If you have track time under your belt you can appreciate the car and want EV to succeed

Now I know how much of a stupid dickhead I sounded like when I was rallying 24/7 and using the same LOL YOU DONT RACE comments a few years ago

quote:

This is just reinforcing that some* spectators are the worst.

*Some spectators are awesome and understand the spirit of competition and how EV is a brand new mountain to conquer and that loud noises couldn't be much less relevant to that.

Yeah nah, it just reinforces when I tried to pull the same kind of comments years ago about NASCAR spectactors, it wasn't the NSACAR watchers that were the idiots.

As I said, I welcome the future racers and I'll be making them myself. I just wont be watching.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 9, 2019

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

This picture comes with sound.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Powershift posted:

They cost $200k new

jesus christ

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone help these gentlemen get their dragsters untangled?

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
surely we can figure some way to massage the sound of EV motor whine into something more interesting

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

No need, it already sounds great.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

KozmoNaut posted:

No need, it already sounds great.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I really don't understand what the "well it only sets a lap time similar to something else 36 years ago could do" argument is attempting to accomplish. Surely there are other forces at work when it come to nurburgring lap times and a car can only go around it so fast wrt grip/downforce/etc. regardless of what is powering the car

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scionix posted:

surely we can figure some way to massage the sound of EV motor whine into something more interesting

Well they will have to emit a warning sound at slow speed. So halfway there.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I propose slide whistle

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I still think they should make a TIE fighter scream.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
jetsons car noise

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Thunder rumbling in the distance, then a loud thunderclap when you floor it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Grakkus posted:

I still think they should make a TIE fighter scream.

If you ever go to a Formula E race that’s exactly what it sounds like.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

fridge corn posted:

I really don't understand what the "well it only sets a lap time similar to something else 36 years ago could do" argument is attempting to accomplish. Surely there are other forces at work when it come to nurburgring lap times and a car can only go around it so fast wrt grip/downforce/etc. regardless of what is powering the car

Tires have come along massively - modern 200TW street tires are probably roughly equivalent to 80s slicks. Downforce generation has come along massively - in the 80s they were basically inventing underbody based downforce and nowadays it's proven out enough you can best-guess shapes and get pretty close, much less what happens if you use any CFD. Shock absorbers, dampers, brakes, computer controls, chassis structures...

When they took the 919 out (which was not intended as a one lap wonder) it beat the 80s lap record by 50 seconds. VW group had all of that data handy; the ID-R should be able to be that much more extreme because it doesn't have any of the compromises necessary to do more than 20km on a charge, nor was it ever built to any rules. And yet...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Price is Right losing horn.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
god if i ever get to the point of purchasing an EV that would be the first hack to do to it, open source noise emitter that does mp3s or wavs or something. change that poo poo up depending on my mood

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The aftermarket car audio stuff has a renaissance. Ironically your Rockford Fosgate 1,000 watt amp to make your EV sound good now limits driving capacity to 40 miles.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
thats what the towed supercharged ls1 engine is for, to constantly run and keep the car topped up yo.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I would prefer a large Cummins coupled with a generator.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i dont know poo poo about diesels :smithfrog:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

"New technology B is currently not as good as old technology A. Therefore, we should put no development resources into new technology B."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KillHour posted:

"New technology B is currently not as good as old technology A. Therefore, we should put no development resources into new technology B."

Okay Mr President.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

KillHour posted:

I see your point, however...

There's something to be said for letting technology develop a bit more before getting too excited about it's potential