Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Zeroisanumber posted:

And subs not at all.

Subs are used to sink merchant vessels as raiders, and sinking enough merchant vessels through raiders and subs will cause hardship/privitation for your enemies, and raise unrest, in a manner similar to a blockade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

White peace/minor concessions

We've got what we wanted. And we're close to losing due to revolution.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

September 1903

The war at sea continues. Three battleships are reported to be out, but there is no contact.

October 1903

This is why only the navy can be trusted.

Excellent. More shells means something is more likely to hit!

This is a thing for those sub things apparently.

BC what the hell is a BC?

Our fleets make contact.

Two German Armoured cruisers. Both inferior to any of my line ships.

They are definitely no match for what I have today.

15:04

First blood.

The chase is on, we trade fire, and while the Varyag takes many hits, she takes little damage.

16:29

Twilight arrives, and the Hansa makes a mistake and turns north – into my battleships.

My heavy cruisers remain on the Victoria Louise class. Night arrives and she is seen burning disappearing into the fog.

This is a bit of a disappointment.

Germany is building a lot of coastal emplacements.

November 1903

Our subs can now dive quicker.

Another fleet battle is in the offing. But the German fleet flees to port before contact is made.

America has central firing, and Germany has another battleship.

December 1903

The new docks are completed.

The first two Vorobey class light cruisers rolls off the dry docks.

They are joined by three Podliv class destroyers.

We can now build 13” guns, though poor quality ones.

The perfidious British ally with the Germans! The come into the war.

This could get messy.

13:24

Our two armoured cruisers make contact. The armoured cruiser Diana is to the south.

The British ship is slower and only carries 6” guns. Our ships have three knots on her and 9” guns.

14:00

We have our range.

The Diana hits a destroyer several times and forces it to break north, the armoured cruisers rain fire on the British ship.

14:14

Suddenly a massive explosion rips the British ship apart.

Our focus switches to the destroyers.

Darkness saves them. Still, we have shown the British our stuff as well.

Another feather in my cap.

It's all well and good telling me they have side drums, but I have no idea what they are! The Germans gain another battleship. The blockade seems to have been broken for this month.

The British entering the war reset the war score, but we are still winning decisively!

We are 8 month out from the Blayat, but more destroyers will be joining our fleet soon.

We are continuing to expand the docks, but I am worried about the people – they are getting very angry out there. Britain entering the war did not help their mood!

As it is a a year end, it is now time for you to pass laws.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I propose the Give Peace a Chance act:

The government should use any opportunity to make peace with no concessions on either side.

The government should also avoid escalating tensions with any other world powers for the duration of this war.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Peace at any chance act:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Let us give peace (at any) chance!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Its still possible to win this one really

So British ships have a national characteristic of RANDOMLY EXPLODING FOR NO GODDAMN REASON

Also you know Britain has colonies in east asia, lets take them while the fight rages thus I propose the

Loot and Scoot act

1. Try to get some peace

2. In the meantime work on stealing the british colonies in asia to rub it into the nose of the royal navy.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

For no reason whatever I would like to stress that I am nothing but a humble shipwright with no particular affections for any Tsarist institutions

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

AtomikKrab posted:

So British ships have a national characteristic of RANDOMLY EXPLODING FOR NO GODDAMN REASON

Also you know Britain has colonies in east asia, lets take them while the fight rages thus I propose the

Loot and Scoot act

1. Try to get some peace

2. In the meantime work on stealing the british colonies in asia to rub it into the nose of the royal navy.

This. Secure the far east. Take whatever that British holding is between Tsaohatever and Port Arthur. And keep showing the poms how bloody wrong their ships are

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

AtomikKrab posted:

Loot and Scoot act

1. Try to get some peace

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Can I have the research report, please?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Paingod556 posted:

This. Secure the far east. Take whatever that British holding is between Tsaohatever and Port Arthur. And keep showing the poms how bloody wrong their ships are

Weihaiwei, and yeah, if we're not doing anything with the Eastern fleet then it's right there. The only real downside is the cost of an invasion (that might not finish if we settle for peace soon).

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So we can either try and go for peace immediately probably or try and take some British possessions and extend the war without really having an idea when our unrest will get to breaking point.

I'm more conservative - we can take the Germans, but not the British as well. Our fleet buildup will be hampered and our economy won't let it. No one else is likely to pile on the British at this point, and we can't hold out on our own. So.. We make peace, keep our conquests, and work at rebuilding our economy and our navy.

So signing on Peace Yo Now

Also offering up the Sail the Seas proposal. It is only to come into effect after the cessation of conflict and when a peace treaty has been confirmed.

For future circumstances, the Russian Navy will ensure that it has rough force parity in anywhere expected to be a conflict zone and has rough equivalency with the enemy in ships/tonnage. In event of future conflict, this gives us in any region that we expect combat the immediate ability to engage the enemy on equal terms - whether offensive or defensive. Presuming multiple areas are to be considered hostile or have risk of war, first priority for basing ships will be the Baltic, next Far East, third Mediterranean (If we even have ports there).

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 7, 2019

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Is there any mechanism that lets us get allies to come in on our side?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

AtomikKrab posted:

Loot and Scoot act

1. Try to get some peace

Seconded.

Sammich Reaper
Apr 25, 2006

sullat posted:

Is there any mechanism that lets us get allies to come in on our side?

And do the other nations ever get in wars with each other that do not include the player? It seems like a pretty big disadvantage that the other nations can tag team us without reciprocity.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

You can get alliances, I think there's a random event that occasionally comes up where you can propose a "security agreement" with a country you have low tensions with and if they accept your tension with them is locked to zero and any wars will involve both of you together until the agreement expires. The AI still don't fight each other outside of being allied with you, though, every war has to involve the player.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

You can get alliances, I think there's a random event that occasionally comes up where you can propose a "security agreement" with a country you have low tensions with and if they accept your tension with them is locked to zero and any wars will involve both of you together until the agreement expires. The AI still don't fight each other outside of being allied with you, though, every war has to involve the player.

Allied ships can occasionally join your fleet (controllable!) now, too; though mostly allies show up as events where they generate VP.
WRT to gaining allies during the war, there is the Lusitania event, but I don't recall if anyone actually ever joined in-game because of that?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

vyelkin posted:

I propose the Give Peace a Chance act:

The government should use any opportunity to make peace with no concessions on either side.

The government should also avoid escalating tensions with any other world powers for the duration of this war.

AtomikKrab posted:

Loot and Scoot act

1. Try to get some peace

Please vote on the following.

here is the current research screen.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Vote loot n scoot

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Changes from last year must have been overlooked. I even put them in bold! See?

Leperflesh posted:

pre:
Research Area				Last research		Priority	Levels
Machinery development			Cockburn safety valve	Low		2
Armour development			Krupp armour		Low		1
Hull construction			Basic			Medium		0
Fire control				Coincidence rangefinder	Low		1
Subdivision and damage control		Double bottom		Low		1
Turrets and gun mountings		Power rammers		Low		2
Ship design				Medium wing turrets	Medium		2
AP Projectiles				Hardened AP penetrator	Low		1
Light forces and torpedo warfare	DD of up to 600 tons	High		1
Torpedo technology			Imp. hydrostatic valve	High		1
Submarines				Early coastal submarine	High		2
Explosive shells			Lyddite burst charges	Low		1
Fleet tactics				Active mine warfare	Low		1
Naval guns				12 inch guns		Low

hoo boy, the tsar ain't happy

***PRIORITETY ISSLEDOVANIYE 01 JAN 1904 ST PETERSBURG***
YEGO IMPYERATORSKOGO VYELICHYESTVA (NIKOLAYA II [VTOROGO])
pre:
Machinery development			Cockburn safety valve	Low		2
Armour development			Face Hardening		Low		2
Hull construction			Improved riveting tech	Low		1
Fire control				6 ft rangefinder	Low		2
Subdivision and damage control		Double bottom		Low		1
Turrets and gun mountings		Pneumatic recuperator	Low		3
Ship design				Medium wing turrets	Low		2
AP Projectiles				Reliable bursting chrgs	Medium		2
Torpedo technology			Imp. hydrostatic valve	High		1
Submarines				Diving planes		Medium		4
Explosive shells			Lyddite burst charges	Low		1
Fleet tactics				Active mine warfare	Low		1
Naval guns				13 inch guns		Low
TSAR NICOLAS STILL WAITING DEPLOYMENT SUBMARINES FOR UNDERWATER EXPLORATION AND FIGHTING STOP
BUT HE IS PLEASED WITH LATEST DEVELOPMENTS & RUSSIAN LEADERSHIP IN UNDERSEA TECHNOLOGIES STOP
ALSO INFORMS WHOEVER RESPONSIBLE FOR IGNORING RESEARCH PRIORITIES SENT 01 JAN 1903 TO BE USED FOR
TARGET PRACTICE IN SEA TRIALS OF HIS SHINY NEW SUBMARINES STOP
BUORD SUGGESTS GETTING THOSE drat THINGS IN THE WATER SOON STOP
POSSIBLY MONEY CAN BE SPENT ON OTHER PROJECTS ONCE THAT HAPPENS? END

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

simplefish posted:

Vote loot n scoot

This one. We're doing fine in terms of civil restivity.

Serfs don't need bread, right?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
loot and scoot

The other one is far more sensible so screw that lets play hardball

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Loot n Scoot

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

DesperateDan posted:

loot and scoot

The other one is far more sensible so screw that lets play hardball

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
Loot and Scoot

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Loot and scoot

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Grey Hunter posted:

I vote for the research screen, as instructed.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Yes on research, no to guillotines.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

NAY YEA

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
NAY
YEA

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

quote:

Current states
Germany – Neutral
Britain – Friendly
Austria-Hungary – Hostile
France – Neutral
Italy – Neutral
Japan – Hostile
USA – Friendly.

Priority 1 – Budget
Priority 2 - Prestige.

AtomikKrab posted:

Loot and Scoot act

1. Try to get some peace

I start by fixing the research. BUORD is unhappy, but can stick it, there is a war on.

The Invasion target it set.

January 1904

Welcome to the war lads.

This is a fantastic deal at the moment.

Peace is concluded. Tsingtau remains ours, and the beer will flow.

We continue to advance our technology.

Budgets are slashed, and corvettes scrapped.

The revolution clock goes from “Near Revolt” to “Angry Peasants.” I need to sort the budget by putting ships back into reserve.

Now we're only losing a million a month.

February 1904

Another destroyer comes off the slipway.

March 1904

The British have seen the failings in their fleet and are fixing them.

Late for the last war, but maybe just in time for the next.

My god, where did that come from? (for reference, all tensions got to the green level after a war, this is massive spike in one month with no events.)

We're never going to get that battleship.

April 1904

The fleet continues to grow.

We keep the Americans Happy while increasing our budget.

More ships. Always more ships. Sadly these are not ours.

May 1904

Into the factories suckers!

The Americans steal from us, but I've been told to keep them on our good side.

June 1904

I decide this is worthwhile.

Bigger booms.

I need to have a word with the shipyards, these delays are not acceptable.

July 1904

This will revolutionise ship design.

The US have 13” guns.

August 1904

The Tsar has plenty of palaces, we do not have enough ships.

The British continue to up gun their ships. We continue to leak technology.

September1904

The US are making it hard to remain friendly.

Hulls get lighter.

I am told this is a game changer in ship accuracy.

I misread that name as the ship having sank.

October 1904

The Blyat finally arrives, and she is a slow cow of a ship – making 22 knots instead of the designs 23.

I reduce tensions to remain neutral with France.

The British continue to increase spending. The Americans continue to steal from us. Well, I guess it's the Americans.

November 1904

Now these guys I can wail on.

We improve our command skills.

The British pour more money into their navy. Our government could learn something from them.

December 1904

New ships, but currently I can't afford to expand again.

Our torpedoes are improved.

The British lay down a battlecruiser – they claim it will have the speed of a armoured cruiser and the guns of a battleship. This is a worrying development!

Another year ends, and unrest is starting to climb again.

Tensions with France have not completely died down.

Ship construction is slow.

But the fleet looks healthy.

This should keep BUORD happy.

Back over to you!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I propose the USA! USA! USA! Act:

Commission American shipyards to build one of these newfangled "battlecruisers" so we can in turn get back at them for all their spying by examining every part of the ship in great detail.

While this ship is under construction, continue to ensure that tensions with America remain as low as possible.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Propose Frack the Yanks

Due to American hostility in the affairs of espionage, we will shift to NEUTRAL with them in relationships. Further acts of aggression shall in turn be responded to appropriately.

FUrther, intel efforts against the Americans shall be raised to Medium From now on against all countries that have Yellow+ Tension unless we are attempting to turn down tensions shall be set to Medium if not already there.

Also, (non-proposal) are we getting a lot in return from the extra 1-2% we're putting into research? If there's not a huge amount of ROI on that curve, we could drop it a percent or two to save some cash?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wait, does the 3 Centerlines now immediately enable us to build BBs?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Night10194 posted:

Wait, does the 3 Centerlines now immediately enable us to build BBs?

Bad ones. Without superimposed turret technology (one turret at a higher vertical level than the other one) a third centerline turret can only fire to the left or right - a superimposed fore turret would be able to fire left, right, or forward, and is thus much nicer.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
I propose the Making Do With What We Have act, which stipulates that rather than building new ships, we will instead upgrade our existing battleships and armored cruisers with central firing as the budget allows.

I mean, look at construction dialog. We've halted construction of three of the Grom class due to lack of funds. We certainly can't afford to build a big new ship.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Boksi posted:

I propose the Making Do With What We Have act, which stipulates that rather than building new ships, we will instead upgrade our existing battleships and armored cruisers with central firing as the budget allows.

I mean, look at construction dialog. We've halted construction of three of the Grom class due to lack of funds. We certainly can't afford to build a big new ship.

Seconded, we can ill afford additional construction.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

A 6 gun broadside isn't anything to sneeze at though. Especially with Centre Firing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

***PRIORITETY ISSLEDOVANIYE 01 JAN 1905 ST PETERSBURG***
YEGO IMPYERATORSKOGO VYELICHYESTVA (NIKOLAYA II [VTOROGO])
pre:
Machinery development			Side drums		High		3
Armour development			Face Hardening		Medium		2
Hull construction			High tensile steel	Low		2
Fire control				Central firing		Low		3
Subdivision and damage control		Double bottom		Medium		1
Turrets and gun mountings		Pneumatic recuperator	Low		3
Ship design				3 centreline turrets	Low		3
AP Projectiles				Reliable bursting chrgs	Medium		2
Torpedo technology			Imp. compressed air	High		2
Submarines				Diving planes		Low		4
Explosive shells			Safe fuze arming	Low		2
Fleet tactics				Improved signalling	Medium		2
Naval guns				13 inch guns		Medium
TSAR NICOLAS ALREADY BORED WITH HIS NEW SUBMARINES STOP
IT TURNS OUT THE VIEW UNDER THE DARK TURBID WATERS OF THE BALTIC SEA IS POOR STOP
NOW HE WANTS A LUXURIOUS YACHT STOP
ONE THAT GOES FASTER THAN 22 KNOTS END