Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

After playing a bunch and beating the Embermane a bunch (my previous post was actually specifically about the Bloodfire), nah this guy is still poorly designed. If your monster needs a specific set of weapons to make the fight not tedious poo poo, then it's bad. I'm just fought him using the axe, and I literally can't start an attack and have it land before he's crossed the map and knocked me down.

Guess I'm forced to use weapons I don't like. Great .

It's a 4 player coop game. Have someone else take a weapon that can knock him down? The game is literally teamwork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Len posted:

It's a 4 player coop game. Have someone else take a weapon that can knock him down? The game is literally teamwork

No one would, or at least they didn't respond, so I did. Finished the quest, never fighting it again if I can help it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

No one would, or at least they didn't respond, so I did. Finished the quest, never fighting it again if I can help it.

It's the same as joining a game of overwatch or tf2. It's a team game and somebody has to slot into the helpful role. Sometimes someone has to stop being the guy demanding somebody switch to healer

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Len posted:

It's the same as joining a game of overwatch or tf2. It's a team game and somebody has to slot into the helpful role. Sometimes someone has to stop being the guy demanding somebody switch to healer

That said, the worst kind of person to be in that sort of game is the one who consistently goes healer when the team doesn't have one, but who doesn't enjoy healing in that game. It's a big part of why I eventually gave up on Overwatch, and I'm dangerously close to hitting that same point in FFXIV; I don't like playing the healer in this game, but nobody else is going to. And if you keep making that decision, then eventually you're spending every minute of that game playing to let other people have fun while having none yourself.

Speaking of: The upcoming Scholar rework with Final Fantasy XIV's new expansion is a total fuckup of an overhaul.

On their surface, Scholar has always been a pet-supported barrier healer, but a good Scholar player would never describe it that way, because that's honestly just the bare minimum of what Scholars are capable of. In reality, they're more of a utility job; very rarely are Scholar skills actually related to healing or the pet, with most of them instead being weird niche abilities that come together really well. High-level Scholar play isn't about executing a specific chain of skills like basically every other job, but is more about having full knowledge of the weird esoteric tricks you've got to work with. A weird miscellaneous toolbox for you to remember everything about and deploy as needed, rather than an optimal sequence; that's not a design that works tremendously well in most games, but somehow Scholar managed to be really good. They play nothing like any other job in the game, and I love their playstyle more than what every other job has offered.

Except FFXIV's devs don't seem to agree, because their redesign of Scholar (along with the other healing jobs) totally kills the uniqueness of the job. I don't like saying that something in a game gets 'dumbed down' because that sort of approach just vilifies simplicity as a whole, but in this case that's absolutely what they did, with Scholar's weird toolbox kit being flattened into being a lot more of that 'barrier healer with a pet' that everyone who didn't play the job classifies it as. Which was also, by far, the most boring part of Scholar.

The thing that really hurts is that they've said this is a retool to make healing more welcoming to the huge amount of the community that doesn't play healers, and it's just going to do the opposite. People don't refuse to play healers because it's hard--you can tell because healing's actually the easiest role in the game if you try (it's easy in most games I've healed in, in fact), so that's clearly not the barrier for people. The barrier for those people is that they just don't want to play healers, and no amount of retooling what's there is going to make them. In fact, it's probably going to make it worse, because retooling what's there can just risk shaking off the people who do enjoy healing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cleretic posted:

That said, the worst kind of person to be in that sort of game is the one who consistently goes healer when the team doesn't have one, but who doesn't enjoy healing in that game. It's a big part of why I eventually gave up on Overwatch, and I'm dangerously close to hitting that same point in FFXIV; I don't like playing the healer in this game, but nobody else is going to. And if you keep making that decision, then eventually you're spending every minute of that game playing to let other people have fun while having none yourself.

Speaking of: The upcoming Scholar rework with Final Fantasy XIV's new expansion is a total fuckup of an overhaul.

On their surface, Scholar has always been a pet-supported barrier healer, but a good Scholar player would never describe it that way, because that's honestly just the bare minimum of what Scholars are capable of. In reality, they're more of a utility job; very rarely are Scholar skills actually related to healing or the pet, with most of them instead being weird niche abilities that come together really well. High-level Scholar play isn't about executing a specific chain of skills like basically every other job, but is more about having full knowledge of the weird esoteric tricks you've got to work with. A weird miscellaneous toolbox for you to remember everything about and deploy as needed, rather than an optimal sequence; that's not a design that works tremendously well in most games, but somehow Scholar managed to be really good. They play nothing like any other job in the game, and I love their playstyle more than what every other job has offered.

Except FFXIV's devs don't seem to agree, because their redesign of Scholar (along with the other healing jobs) totally kills the uniqueness of the job. I don't like saying that something in a game gets 'dumbed down' because that sort of approach just vilifies simplicity as a whole, but in this case that's absolutely what they did, with Scholar's weird toolbox kit being flattened into being a lot more of that 'barrier healer with a pet' that everyone who didn't play the job classifies it as. Which was also, by far, the most boring part of Scholar

The thing that really hurts is that they've said this is a retool to make healing more welcoming to the huge amount of the community that doesn't play healers, and it's just going to do the opposite. People don't refuse to play healers because it's hard--you can tell because healing's actually the easiest role in the game if you try (it's easy in most games I've healed in, in fact), so that's clearly not the barrier for people. The barrier for those people is that they just don't want to play healers, and no amount of retooling what's there is going to make them. In fact, it's probably going to make it worse, because retooling what's there can just risk shaking off the people who do enjoy healing.
It isn't even out yet.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

FactsAreUseless posted:

It isn't even out yet.

They've shown previews. Notably, there's a YouTube channel that was given beta access and did a detailed overview of things that've changed.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The first Torchlight is a game where the flaws keep stacking up the longer I play it.

Targeting monsters is very finicky, so as a ranged character you’ll often start walking instead of firing. Don’t even think about kiting unless it’s a gigantic hero/boss mob. The game also plays with height a lot and you it’s hard to predict if a ranged projectile will keep flying or will be stopped by terrain. When dual-wielding pistols you’ll have situations where one hand will hit and the other will keep firing at a wall.

Basic attacks in general just fall off in damage, so you start wondering why the gently caress are you even bothering with basic attacks. Time to get a mod to respec I guess.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 09:29 on Jun 9, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Torchlight is so weirdly designed and doesnt have the respec necessary to accomodate the fact youll near assuredly gently caress up building your character the first time because what you should be doing is counterintuitive to how stuff is presented to you

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Hedgehog Pie posted:

And I maintain that the cutscenes and dialogue bits still feel longer and more frequent than those in 2, where that seems to be a major criticism.

The difference is that the characters in MGS3 are way more fun and interesting than the characters in MGS2, so the cutscenes and dialogue aren't as bad to sit through, even if the total volume may be greater.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Leal posted:

I dunno man, sure MGSV started with a good amount of cutscenes but after mission 10 (of 51) there is jack.

V stands for "Very front-loaded", obviously. Or "Very unfinished".

Veotax
May 16, 2006

PubicMice posted:

The difference is that the characters in MGS3 are way more fun and interesting than the characters in MGS2, so the cutscenes and dialogue aren't as bad to sit through, even if the total volume may be greater.

Also there are more actual cutscenes. MGS2 would throw you into Codec conversations with someone you're standing right next to, MGS3 doesn't. Sure, they still do the thing where they play stock footage related to what they're talking about to save on animating a full cutscene some times, but that's a hell of a lot better than two green faces playing generic animations for fifteen minutes.
The only time you get extended radio conversations in place of cutscenes is with your support staff who aren't in the same room as you.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
You're definitely right on the narrative logistics side of things though I'm not sure if I agree about the characters... except for The Boss who is a legitimately interesting MGS character with little camp value. I acknowledge that MGS2's excuse of "the characters are supposed to be two-dimensional!!" is an extremely slippery one, and I do think that the cutscenes in MGS3 have some really great moments of animation that probably hadn't been seen in the series up to that point. I'm just not a fan of the pacing, at least in the opening act.

I'm probably just frustrated at not being as good at 3 as I am at 2, and I'm not sure why that is (no one else seems to struggle with it!). Maybe I should just start again on easy or something.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider because I kept meaning to get around to it, and while it's OK other games like Strange Brigade kind of spoiled me on enemy variety. You get three things outside of the leopard boss - firefight with guys with guns, sneak around the same, or basic fast zombie guardian things. The first one basically involves "Pick a cover and stay there for 5 minutes occasionally moving away from grenades" the second one is very slow, and the third one is fun but basic. Strange Brigade threw a bunch of enemy types at you for much more fast paced fights in many combinations. I know Tomb Raider is a very different sort of game that's more methodical, but I can't help it if it just feels less... fun. The setpieces are cool though. Currently just got to the point of no return.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Not saying it's the reason why you are bad at MGS3 but it did change the formula from the more "Survival Horror" style of MGS1 &2. You arenoi longer unlocking more and more of the same area, backtracking whenever you acquire a key, instead you are always pushing on(with a few repeats) with all that entails.

Honestly I kinda preferred the older structure.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cleretic posted:

They've shown previews. Notably, there's a YouTube channel that was given beta access and did a detailed overview of things that've changed.

It's also meant to bring SCH into line with the other healing classes, because what you described is really loving hard to balance with more traditional healers.

If you don't want to play a healer, play something else.

Don't make yourself miserable purely for the sake of others who are never going to notice or care that you're miserable or ostensibly doing this for them.

Play what you find fun.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Good thing Shadowbringers will let you run dungeons with NPCs so you can make them heal instead.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Cythereal posted:

It's also meant to bring SCH into line with the other healing classes, because what you described is really loving hard to balance with more traditional healers.

If you don't want to play a healer, play something else.

Don't make yourself miserable purely for the sake of others who are never going to notice or care that you're miserable or ostensibly doing this for them.

Play what you find fun.

See, here's the thing: I do find Scholar fun, right now. I enjoy constantly reading the situation and being aware of my toolkit so that I can slam in some weird niche skill that's exactly what's being called for right now. Me being dead bored of playing a healer and yet obligated to was mostly an Overwatch thing (and it wasn't the fault of healing as a role, it was more that I didn't especially like any of its healers), but I'm concerned that when we get those Scholar changes it will become like that, because Scholar is losing the part that made it fun for me.

I've tried a lot of other jobs, and for various reasons they haven't really clicked with me; Black Mage's skill chain was too intensive and easily-disrupted for me to enjoy. Summoner's a decent emergency-have so that I don't have to solo with a healer job, but felt fairly empty by itself. Ninja just felt like it was being complicated and obtuse for the sake of it. And finally Bard had the opposite problem where it felt too easy to play optimally, so I got bored quickly.

I don't really have faith that there's a non-Scholar FFXIV job that I'll enjoy in the same way, and I think Ninja does a good job of showing why that is, because it also has a bit of a 'weird toolbox' situation, but doesn't get to use it. A DPS' job (and to a lesser extent the tank's job) has no real ceiling, so to play one optimally you should just be slamming your best skills in the best order; that means that while Ninja does have a lot of tools in its mudra system, you're only going to use like, two or three of them, because your only job is 'do as much damage as possible'. On the other hand, a healer's got a very specific task to maintain, that does have an effective ceiling, because there's only so much healing being called for at any one time. So a healer's got a lot of room to deploy other tools and prepare for what's coming, rather than focus on raw number output. I don't think any other role in the game could support something as interesting to me as the Scholar.

EDIT: I stopped playing Overwatch after they reworked Symmetra to be a damage hero, because I realized that without her there weren't fun heroes to me in there anymore, just tolerable heroes. I'm worried that's happening in FFXIV with Scholar, and that once it's reworked I won't have anywhere else to go in that game, either. In both cases, those reworks came as an attempt to make that hero/job more appealing to people who weren't playing them; that quite demonstrably didn't work for Symmetra in Overwatch, and I'm certain it won't work for Scholar in FFXIV, so I'm just here at risk of losing my favorite so that they can appeal to people who'll never pick them up in the first place.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:02 on Jun 9, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cleretic posted:

See, here's the thing: I do find Scholar fun, right now. I enjoy constantly reading the situation and being aware of my toolkit so that I can slam in some weird niche skill that's exactly what's being called for right now. Me being dead bored of playing a healer and yet obligated to was mostly an Overwatch thing, but I'm concerned that when we get those Scholar changes it will become like that, because Scholar is losing the part that made it fun for me.

I've tried a lot of other jobs, and for various reasons they haven't really clicked with me; Black Mage's skill chain was too intensive and easily-disrupted for me to enjoy. Summoner's a decent emergency-have so that I don't have to solo with a healer job, but felt fairly empty by itself. Ninja just felt like it was being complicated and obtuse for the sake of it. And finally Bard had the opposite problem where it felt too easy to play optimally, so I got bored quickly.

I don't really have faith that there's a non-Scholar FFXIV job that I'll enjoy in the same way, and I think Ninja does a good job of showing why that is, because it also has a bit of a 'weird toolbox' situation, but doesn't get to use it. A DPS' job (and to a lesser extent the tank's job) has no real ceiling, so to play one optimally you should just be slamming your best skills in the best order; that means that while Ninja does have a lot of tools in its mudra system, you're only going to use like, two or three of them, because your only job is 'do as much damage as possible'. On the other hand, a healer's got a very specific task to maintain, that does have an effective ceiling, because there's only so much healing being called for at any one time. So a healer's got a lot of room to deploy other tools and prepare for what's coming, rather than focus on raw number output. I don't think any other role in the game could support something as interesting to me as the Scholar.

There was a more extensive post in the FF14 thread in the MMO subforum, but congratulations: you are in the extreme minority of healer players, and SCH especially.

The healer rebalancing is designed with the average player in mind, not you.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Cythereal posted:

There was a more extensive post in the FF14 thread in the MMO subforum, but congratulations: you are in the extreme minority of healer players, and SCH especially.

The healer rebalancing is designed with the average player in mind, not you.

It's basically been removing a lot of the things that made each healer unique while greatly simplifying healer dps, which is gonna make leveling as a healer even more boring than it already is (it looks like Scholar is going to have one dot and one direct damage spell). It kinda feels like they want to switch to healer gameplay closer to WoW's, but they're missing a lot of the things that makes that healing style work in that game, like a shorter gcd and heals that take immediate effect as soon as the cast time is finished.

From what I've seen response to the healer changes has been universally negative, so I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Personally, I'm also disappointed with the direction SCH is taking.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

You're definitely right on the narrative logistics side of things though I'm not sure if I agree about the characters... except for The Boss who is a legitimately interesting MGS character with little camp value. I acknowledge that MGS2's excuse of "the characters are supposed to be two-dimensional!!" is an extremely slippery one, and I do think that the cutscenes in MGS3 have some really great moments of animation that probably hadn't been seen in the series up to that point. I'm just not a fan of the pacing, at least in the opening act.

I'm probably just frustrated at not being as good at 3 as I am at 2, and I'm not sure why that is (no one else seems to struggle with it!). Maybe I should just start again on easy or something.

Sons of Liberty is the best because of the amazing bait and switch. It gets a nice callback in Snake Eater - at the start you get to set the control scheme to be the same as either MGS1 or 2,and if you pick 2 you start off wearing a Raiden mask (that you can use to confuse Volgin with)

And then Phantom Pain Ends with the same drat twist which is such a great dick swinging move from Kojima.

God he's good.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Sons of Liberty is the best because of the amazing bait and switch. It gets a nice callback in Snake Eater - at the start you get to set the control scheme to be the same as either MGS1 or 2,and if you pick 2 you start off wearing a Raiden mask (that you can use to confuse Volgin with)

And then Phantom Pain Ends with the same drat twist which is such a great dick swinging move from Kojima.

God he's good.

I completely bought it the first time I played.

What a loving mark I was.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For all the poo poo people give the MGS series (rightly) for it's extreme reliance on cutscenes/narrative, I was fooled by every single plot twist those games ever pulled. There's too much story in those games, but it's good story at least.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

I've been playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider because I kept meaning to get around to it, and while it's OK other games like Strange Brigade kind of spoiled me on enemy variety. You get three things outside of the leopard boss - firefight with guys with guns, sneak around the same, or basic fast zombie guardian things. The first one basically involves "Pick a cover and stay there for 5 minutes occasionally moving away from grenades" the second one is very slow, and the third one is fun but basic. Strange Brigade threw a bunch of enemy types at you for much more fast paced fights in many combinations. I know Tomb Raider is a very different sort of game that's more methodical, but I can't help it if it just feels less... fun. The setpieces are cool though. Currently just got to the point of no return.

I legitimately hated Shadow from beginning to end. The combat feels floaty and imprecise and the stealth mechanics make me feel less like a predator and more like I'm just floating from stealth-wall to stealth-wall.

The entire game is just so humorless and dour. Not a single interesting character throughout, and some bizarre White Savior poo poo when you encounter an indigenous civilization.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I hate that to this day I don't know how much was left out of V as a way of playing on the phantom pain theme and how much of it is just unfinished game. I mean, using Keifer Sunderaland instead of Hayter was obviously intentional and I wish they had chosen a voice actor who had more than half an hour available to record but how much of the completely empty feeling I had upon completing the game was intentional?

I guess the things dragging down V are the incredibly empty character that is Punished Snake, a thinner, less interesting story stretched across three times as much gameplay as a typical MGS, the vast amount of information and character development relegated to audio tapes, the incredible wet fart of an ending, and the impossibility of having a well paced game in an open world sandbox. I also don't like how much time I spend loving around in menus or waiting for my helicopter to take me somewhere. I forgive it because in the moment to moment game play it's the best, most engaging stealth game I've played but unlike every other MGS I've never had any compulsion to replay it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Ultimately that’s why I put the game down. When you’re actually sneaking and shooting your way through enemy bases, it’s absolutely fantastic. But it’s so bloated and bogged down with poor interface choices and having to return to the stupid rear end helicopter that everything takes three times as long as it should, and not for any kind of good reason. I’d love to bang out those side missions but it’s too much of a pain in the rear end.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

RyokoTK posted:

Ultimately that’s why I put the game down. When you’re actually sneaking and shooting your way through enemy bases, it’s absolutely fantastic. But it’s so bloated and bogged down with poor interface choices and having to return to the stupid rear end helicopter that everything takes three times as long as it should, and not for any kind of good reason. I’d love to bang out those side missions but it’s too much of a pain in the rear end.

I stopped because the base building stuff was garbage and only got worse with every update. It was sooo grindy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One thing that sucks about MGS5's helicopter trip exit is that it's completely pointless. If you do something that makes the game save, then pause and go to Return To ACC, it just warps you back to the mission command chopper while also saving everything you did.

So like... why not just eliminate the helicopter trip thing entirely unless it's a mission where you have to manually extract someone/something like the one where you escort the children?

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:06 on Jun 9, 2019

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I also love that the ending twist in Phantom Pain exists to explain a plot hole from a game that is thirty years old. That's just glorious.

Also the foreshadowing for it is brilliant: V can't handle proper cigars, and can only vape. He also has to be repeatedly prompted to deliver the line "kept you waiting, huh?"

CJacobs posted:

For all the poo poo people give the MGS series (rightly) for it's extreme reliance on cutscenes/narrative, I was fooled by every single plot twist those games ever pulled. There's too much story in those games, but it's good story at least.

The reveal in IV about the real identities of the Patriots blew my loving mind. I played the entire series for the first time in the months leading up to Guns of the Patriots, so got a super concentrated dose of all the paranoia and conspiracy nonsense. I especially like how Shadow Moses copies a lot of the camerawork from Twin Snakes - not just the bit with the camera flashback, but the whole sequence in the office where you fought Gray Fox is almost identical.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I also love that the ending twist in Phantom Pain exists to explain a plot hole from a game that is thirty years old. That's just glorious.

Also the foreshadowing for it is brilliant: V can't handle proper cigars, and can only vape. He also has to be repeatedly prompted to deliver the line "kept you waiting, huh?"

The reveal in IV about the real identities of the Patriots blew my loving mind. I played the entire series for the first time in the months leading up to Guns of the Patriots, so got a super concentrated dose of all the paranoia and conspiracy nonsense. I especially like how Shadow Moses copies a lot of the camerawork from Twin Snakes - not just the bit with the camera flashback, but the whole sequence in the office where you fought Gray Fox is almost identical.

I'm not familiar with Metal Gear lore what's the plot hole?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the new pokemon is going to have raid bosses

i hope dumbasses arent around me to fight them, hahaha...raid bosses ruin a lot of things

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Len posted:

I'm not familiar with Metal Gear lore what's the plot hole?

In the original Metal Gear you get betrayed by Big Boss in a way that largely doesn’t make sense or would require a body double.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

In Metal Gear (as in, Metal Gear Metal Gear, no Solid) Big Boss is seemingly in two places at once - running Foxhound, and running Outer Heaven. the "real" Big Boss is in Foxhound, the one you kill in OH is Venom Snake. Which also explains how he comes back to life for Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake - this time, it's the real Big Boss

It's also hard not to read the final tape message as a great big thank you from Kojima to his fans - which is even more touching given how he used the same trick as a giant "gently caress you!" to the fans back in SoL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN0VAsJElX4

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
ed: wrong thread, ooops

For thread content, another reason it seals up the plot hole is because you kill Big Boss at the end of Metal Gear 2. This led a ton of people to wonder how V was going to tie in because it takes place just before that happens but Solid Snake isn't in it (which wouldn't make sense, since Snake already knows Big Boss at the time of MG2). It turns out, you're not playing as THAT Big Boss!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Jun 9, 2019

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Outer Wilds is pretty great but the way to get to the High Energy Lab on Ember Twin is ridiculous compared to everything else I've done in the game. I beat my head against it for the best part of two hours before cracking and looking up a video and it's really fiddly and annoying in a way this game isn't, at least as far as I am. You have to get to a certain place fairly quickly, hang about for the rising sand to reach a certain point, jump through a damaging torrent of sand, then, with the sand now threatening to crush you, quickly pick out the correct route from the dead ends. I really thought I was at a total dead end and having to respawn, launch, fly to the planet and go through the caves to the settlement every time you die is supremely irritating. For every other signposted landmark, it's fairly obvious that it's somewhere it is or was possible for normal people without jetpacks to reach, or if it's not, there'll be hints or instructions somewhere.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Outer wilds is on Xbox gamepass

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Has Pokemon always been this grindy, and I didn't realize it when I was younger?

I need to level up some of my relatively-unused Pokemon for a fight in Let's Go so my type matchups are better, and man is it annoying to catch a bunch of the same Pokemon (if they show up, with :lol:, and it's a zone near me because I don't have Fly to just properly fast-travel places) seeing the bar creep up by a handful of pixels each time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

MisterBibs posted:

Has Pokemon always been this grindy, and I didn't realize it when I was younger?

I need to level up some of my relatively-unused Pokemon for a fight in Let's Go so my type matchups are better, and man is it annoying to catch a bunch of the same Pokemon (if they show up, with :lol:, and it's a zone near me because I don't have Fly to just properly fast-travel places) seeing the bar creep up by a handful of pixels each time.

I think Let's Go is the exception there, coming from the fact that it's borrowing from the by-its-nature grindy Pokemon Go. I've played every Pokemon generation and never felt that I've had to grind except for a single instance, in Pokemon Sapphire (and that wasn't because it was hard, it was because I was stupid).

For the main Pokemon games, it's easy and encouraged to be able to flip a fight with a substantial level difference just by playing smart and capitalizing on weaknesses. If you're too stupid and/or stubborn and/or personally constrained to do that, then you have the option to just grind and focus on raw power, but generally the intention is 'play smart, not hard'. Which is true for most JRPGs, in fact, but playing smart doesn't always occur to players.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm not (exclusively) blaming the game on it, I didn't look far enough ahead and see what was coming up*, so some of my {whatever} types are significantly weaker than they'd normally be, and the backfilling itself is bothering me. I don't mind having to do it conceptually, it's just the practical of doing it that is annoying me. Like, I can grind in WoW for poo poo without even blinking, but come on can you stupid pokemon get stronger faster?

* I mean, I did, in terms of what the next gym would be running, but not what was between ~here~ and ~there~.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I just started Horizon: ZD, about 7 hours - just got out of the Embrace, and I just have this strong feeling like I've already seen 95% of what I'm going to be doing for the next 60 hours. Hopefully, I'm not quite right, but the gameplay loop has already kind of worn itself out for me. Creep on a robot, whistle at it, shock it or freeze it, jam my stick in it.

I also don't really get Aloy's character. Maybe there are flashbacks upcoming, but I'm wondering when she overcame being universally shunned and spat upon time after crushing time - to becoming the Embrace's most elegant conversationalist who almost everyone she meets has no problem with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Captain Lavender posted:

I just started Horizon: ZD, about 7 hours - just got out of the Embrace, and I just have this strong feeling like I've already seen 95% of what I'm going to be doing for the next 60 hours. Hopefully, I'm not quite right, but the gameplay loop has already kind of worn itself out for me. Creep on a robot, whistle at it, shock it or freeze it, jam my stick in it.

This strategy works for maybe two or three of the robot types in the game. It does not work for many.