Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Rhopunzel posted:

wtf does octoroon even mean

Look at this scrub who doesn’t know the second most popular American play of all time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Octoroon?wprov=sfti1

Edit: everyone has heard of Uncle Tom’s Cabin, the most popular American play of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zinkraptor posted:

People saying that JRPGs are only good for writing/story is funny to me, because Octopath Traveler came out very recently and that game is carried by its combat system. The story/writing is generally not great and the dungeon and over world design is tedious, but the actual combat is so good that I loved playing it anyway.

it's funny to me as well because the reason i say it's a garbage genre is not just because the combat/gameplay in general is bad but the writing tends to be too.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Honestly I always felt that the whole Wilford Brimley bit was kind of an unnecessary detour and could have been comfortably cut.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dabir posted:

Honestly I always felt that the whole Wilford Brimley bit was kind of an unnecessary detour and could have been comfortably cut.

hoopz getting shot with type 2 diabetes is literally the funniest thing that happens in the entire game, though

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

oddium posted:

the furry sewer stuff is the low point i think but there’s a lot that should also be excised for the remaster (Barkley 1: Overtime) like the asperger’s status effect

it is funny that alcohol cures it.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Dabir posted:

The whole examine take use section is really good actually

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

CYBEReris posted:

when revisiting the game the neo-shekels, the ironically racist asian shopkeeper, and the sewer furries being, intentionally or not, very trans-coded and hopping the line between mocking and sympathetic depending on what's funny at the time all made me varying degrees of uncomfortable

How the gently caress did the forums of Something Awful, of all places, get overrun with this kind of Lilly-livered “progressive” type? Everything is so “problematic”! Jesus loving Christ, can’t anyone just take a loving joke anymore?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Deadguy2322 posted:

How the gently caress did the forums of Something Awful, of all places, get overrun with this kind of Lilly-livered “progressive” type? Everything is so “problematic”! Jesus loving Christ, can’t anyone just take a loving joke anymore?

Please, detail for me exactly what jokes you want to make, that those darn progressives won't let you. i truly and earnestly wish to know.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Deadguy2322 posted:

lol it's the next pump quote

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Tunicate posted:

I compiled the demo and am hosting it here, gently caress the police.
in star wars opening text format:

The year is 2019. Game developers are still compiling games for Windows only.

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
criticism is only acceptable if it makes me comfortable and aligns with my personal politics of ahistorical gamer nihilism

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Deadguy2322 posted:

a true doom murderhead wears their fouls on their sleeves, and takes the free throws with honour

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Deadguy2322 posted:

You just want to say the n word

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

The REAL Goobusters posted:

You just want to say the n word

Narcissism?

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Seshoho Cian posted:

Please, detail for me exactly what jokes you want to make, that those darn progressives won't let you. i truly and earnestly wish to know.

Oh, you’re so cool and hip.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Good rpg combat is something I find comparable to like, deck building I guess. I think it’s a lot of fun synergizing characters and skills. Other mechanics such as SMT’s press turn system or Octopath’s BP system can also help combat feel more cathartic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

one of my favorite jokes is when hoopz tells his dad to watch his moves and then his sprite turns into the bball player taking a shot. it's the little things.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

love this thread now

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Deadguy2322 posted:

weird i don't remember this line from barkley 1

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Deadguy2322 posted:

regdate

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Though really, bhroom, if you need a cash infusion to really frankenstein barkley 2, there are worse ways to pull cash than working the crypto-fascist grift circuit.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

one of my favorite jokes is when hoopz tells his dad to watch his moves and then his sprite turns into the bball player taking a shot. it's the little things.

I was actually just thinking about how much I liked that part. It's one of the first jokes you see and right off the bat it lets you know what kind of humor you're in for.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Deadguy2322 posted:

Im a Gamer

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

Though really, bhroom, if you need a cash infusion to really frankenstein barkley 2, there are worse ways to pull cash than working the crypto-fascist grift circuit.
Yeah after your crowdfund money runs dry the next step is BarkleyCoin

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
Anonymous robot meant fleecing fascists by telling them playing Barkley2 will make liberals cry, and then opening a patreon
Its a pretty good grift but I think id rather fling myself off a cliff
though I guess cryptocurrency probably has at least some overlap huh

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Anonymous robot meant fleecing fascists by telling them playing Barkley2 will make liberals cry, and then opening a patreon
Its a pretty good grift but I think id rather fling myself off a cliff
though I guess cryptocurrency probably has at least some overlap huh

Yeah I’m talking about liberals getting triggered and wanting to censor barky 2 for telling the TRUTH about Hungry Man but making barkley 2 a f2p malware laden cryptocoin miner would also be very funny.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the library cards are barkleycoin

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Deadguy2322 posted:

Is it too late to make fun of this chump? Incels these days smh

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
punching up is universally better than punching down hth.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Deadguy2322 posted:

what slurs do you want to use my friend

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

punching up is universally better than punching down hth.

fur sure and punching people like that is better than both

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zinkraptor posted:

I was actually just thinking about how much I liked that part. It's one of the first jokes you see and right off the bat it lets you know what kind of humor you're in for.

a burger king chicken fry being the most powerful healing item is great too. (and the greasy dew left behind being the second most powerful.)

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

a burger king chicken fry being the most powerful healing item is great too. (and the greasy dew left behind being the second most powerful.)

i thought the dew thing was a reference to like yggdrasil leaves and dew. its probably both

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

what makes the terminally outraged guy funny is at the end of the day for every joke that felt bad there were like 10 that were pure and good, I still love the game hiccups and all

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Deadguy2322 posted:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Was barkley 1 responsible for the slam jam remix trend?

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Scarodactyl posted:

Was barkley 1 responsible for the slam jam remix trend?

It was responsible for a failed kickstarter game.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

It can be responsible for more than one thing. It's got a lot to answer for.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

wow

what's the definitive LP video to watch

ss lp, but nn ashe's in the lp archive is good.

Hentai Jihadist posted:

FFX was considered garbage at the time but JRPGs are in general extremely bad so it is seen one of the best modern examples of the genre now looking back since every FF since then has been worse.

I guess people are supposed to play JRPGs for the story but they have pretty much the worst stories and writing in games.
I missed out on the supposedly golden snes era but looking back on the ones I've played since the only two I can think of with a genuinely interesting story and characters is Nier 1 and Barkley

everyone in this thread who thinks "all jrpgs are bad" needs to go place LISA, right now.

CYBEReris posted:

when revisiting the game the neo-shekels, the ironically racist asian shopkeeper, and the sewer furries being, intentionally or not, very trans-coded and hopping the line between mocking and sympathetic depending on what's funny at the time all made me varying degrees of uncomfortable

I probably find the sewer furries funnier now, really.

cock hero flux posted:

hoopz getting shot with type 2 diabetes is literally the funniest thing that happens in the entire game, though

The kind they were never able to cure...

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Cuntellectual posted:

everyone in this thread who thinks "all jrpgs are bad" needs to go place LISA, right now.

i have no horse in this JRPG race but i played lisa and quit after like an hour because i like to play games that don't make me miserable and have likable characters that weren't designed by a 12 year old with ADHD