Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

You'll want to reserve a site ahead of time, you can only camp at campgrounds and sites are limited. IMO for first time visitors, Blackwoods is the way to go for convenience to the popular spots. July is high season so I'd get on that ASAP. There are some private campgrounds too, but eh.

Acadia is great because you can really string together anything and make a great time of it. My favorite trail in the park is Jordan Cliffs but it'll likely be closed for falcons during summer. Beehive is really unique and fun, the Bubbles are a short hike with a good payoff, the Penobscot/Sargent loop is a great slightly longer hike, and Gorge Path is a neat trail. These are all generic and popular recommendations but they're popular for a reason... beyond that, I'd suggest just grabbing a map and tracing out a loop based on how far you're comfortable covering in one go. The west side of the park is also awesome (and less trafficked) but I'd spend time in the east if you just have a couple days.

Thank you this is perfect. I glanced at campgrounds yesterday and it's already pretty slim options but should be able to get something at Blackwoods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Well speaking of Maine, anyone have any experience camping on Cutler Coast? Planning an easy trip for later this month, but it does look kind of mellow/short and it's a 5 hour drive from where I'm at. I did hear there's a fog horn that goes off like every ten seconds but there's no indication how loud it actually is.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Morbus posted:

What do you want one for, and any reason you need/want a satellite phone instead of just an InReach? Much cheaper, smaller, lighter, rugged, doubles as a PLB, and uses the same satellite network as the best phones, and supports 2-way text messaging. Unless you really need phone conversation for some reason I would think this is a better option.

For remote/wilderness use I think your best option is the Iridium constellation. Geostationary (i.e. Inmarsat) networks don't do well in a lot of steep terrain (also useless at high/low latitudes, if that matters). Iridium has global coverage and good reliability, but since it's a LEO constellation occasional call drops are pretty common (though usually you can get right back on shortly). Globalstar is similar, but coverage may not be as complete.

Satellite phones are expensive. Renting one for a few days, you can generally expect to pay at least $100 for a very basic 30-60 minutes, rented over a few days or a week. You can maaaaaybe rent one for $20-50 total if you only use like 15 minutes...but if you don't need a fair number of actual voice conversation minutes then, again, why not just use an InReach?

If you need a satelite phone for data then just lol have fun $$$$$$

You've pointed me in the right direction with the InReach mention. That's along the lines of what I want: nothing too fancy, just a lifeline to the outside world. I'm not interested in other features like interactive maps as I'm old-fashioned (though I guess if absolutely necessary that'd come in handy). I plan to keep it turned off unless there's an emergency; not super picky about battery life.

OutdoorGearLab recommends the InReach Explorer, which is +$100.00 more than the general InReach. Just need to do further research on if its worth the extra money.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

The InReach Mini is what I would get if I were buying today. Pair it with your phone/app via bluetooth and the usability and weight are impossible to beat.

If I just wanted a cheaper/standard HELP SOS deal with a few preset messages like "I am safe, arrived at camp for the night" and "HELP NOW, NEED RESCUE" I'd get a SPOT Gen 3.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Just did four days at Yellowstone and ooooh boy am I glad I won't be there in July. Sure a lot of stuff is still closed because of snow but I couldn't imagine getting around with so many more people.

Off to Glacier tomorrow. :)

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

The Aardvark posted:

Just did four days at Yellowstone and ooooh boy am I glad I won't be there in July. Sure a lot of stuff is still closed because of snow but I couldn't imagine getting around with so many more people.

Off to Glacier tomorrow. :)

Popular national parks in the off season are the best. I've done Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Zion, and Arches in winter months. Each time the worst you'll find is half-full parking lots for a popular viewpoint, but usually far less. Head a little ways down a trail and you may not see anyone at all for long stretches.

I really enjoyed Canyonlands and Grand Staircase the most in the winter. We went entire days only seeing a single other car.

We're considering Death Valley and/or Joshua Tree this year. Has anyone done those in the winter? Any suggestions? I've never been to either (during any season).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

National parks after dark are great too. Badlands under a full moon is loving amazing.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’m still pissed the last time I went to Big Bend was cloudy and a full moon. Zero stars for me

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

incogneato posted:

We're considering Death Valley and/or Joshua Tree this year. Has anyone done those in the winter? Any suggestions? I've never been to either (during any season).

If you have a high clearance 4wd vehicle and enjoy driving through beautiful and rough desert back roads, a lot of the coolest places in Death Valley National Park aren't in Death Valley itself. The Racetrack Playa, Saline Valley, and Eureka Valley with its giant dune are all worth checking out. Just make sure you're prepared.

Death Valley's peak season is spring, so winter campground availability shouldn't be a problem and the classic hikes like Golden Canyon won't be crowded.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Tacier posted:

If you have a high clearance 4wd vehicle and enjoy driving through beautiful and rough desert back roads, a lot of the coolest places in Death Valley National Park aren't in Death Valley itself. The Racetrack Playa, Saline Valley, and Eureka Valley with its giant dune are all worth checking out. Just make sure you're prepared.

Death Valley's peak season is spring, so winter campground availability shouldn't be a problem and the classic hikes like Golden Canyon won't be crowded.

Thank you for giving me an excuse to rent one again! Renting a Jeep to explore empty roads in Grand Staircase was so much drat fun.

Yeah, I have a lot more research to do currently. But empty Utah backcountry got me hooked on winter desert adventures. I should probably look into Big Bend, too.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

incogneato posted:

Popular national parks in the off season are the best. I've done Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Zion, and Arches in winter months. Each time the worst you'll find is half-full parking lots for a popular viewpoint, but usually far less. Head a little ways down a trail and you may not see anyone at all for long stretches.

I really enjoyed Canyonlands and Grand Staircase the most in the winter. We went entire days only seeing a single other car.

January or thereabouts is hands down the best time to visit Death Valley. Generally cool/pleasant weather, clear skies, low angle sun, and surprisingly not that many people. Plus it's just oppressively hot after like February. I go there pretty much every year around that time.

Renting a jeep to go to Racetrack or other offroads is fun, so seconding that.

For stuff that doesn't require a 4wd, there are a lot of canyons that you can hike to that are really cool but don't have trails, so they see hardly any people. You can find information about them online though. Kaleidoscope canyon is definitely my favorite and it's pretty unique. Funeral, Palmer, Fall, Sidewinder, and Room canyons are also cool. You'll want a GPS, compass, and map to get to these, but the routefinding isn't hard and they aren't too far from roads you can just park on the side of.

The trail/loop from Golden canyon to Zabriskie point and back is really good (though it sees more traffic), and Zabriskie point at sunrise is beautiful.

Edit: winter is really the best time to go visit desert stuff in Nevada and Arizona too, imo

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Holy moly is the road to Many Glacier bad.

We camped out a night at St. Mary and it rained all night well into the morning, with more rain and lightning projected for tonight so we left early. Snow and ice still make the trek to Grinnel glacier dicey for my wife's inexperience so we just did the loop around Swiftcurrent Lake and Lake Josephine while it rained.

A lot of services open this weekend or next week so we missed out by a week but that's off-season for you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How do the rivers look out that way? Arrowleaf blooms?

I'm gonna be hiking in the front in a couple weeks. I think most of Montana should be very green still but I'm not sure on what they got for snow up that way.. I know my mom got buried all winter down in Red Lodge but that's quite a distance off.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Saw a few of those, some Bonneville shooting stars, a lot of indian paintbrushes, western blue clematis.

The rivers were going pretty strong. There's still enough ice and snow on the mountains that a Ranger said it's hard to tell where the glaciers are if you can't determine the difference so the rivers should keep flowing how they are.

Going to the Sun road is still closed until June 22 at the earliest. They only have the first 13.5 miles open from St. Mary on the east and 18ish? from Apgar on the west.

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 7, 2019

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
For the Mid Atlantic folks, I went to Dolly Sods in WVA last weekend. Good weather till Saturday night, then a ton of rain and some hail. I've yet to stay dry up there, either from rain or bogs but if you want a taste of Maine and live near DC, it's worth the 3 he drive.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

About 100 miles into our thru paddle

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hell yea

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Checked out Great Basin NP since we cut a day short at Glacier and it wasn't out of the way back to San Diego. There's some good hikes to doif you're prepared for it since they're all like 8000 or 9000+ feet up. Also the drive there from Idaho showed me a part of Nevada I never knew about and seems pretty neat to explore.

Road up to Wheeler was closed about 8 miles up due to snow, so we only got to Mather Overlook. Also did the Lehman Cave tour and its worth the extra $2 for the 90 minute tour. Just book online early because they sell our quick. It's only 20 people per tour and they do 10-13 a day.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

The Aardvark posted:

Checked out Great Basin NP since we cut a day short at Glacier and it wasn't out of the way back to San Diego. There's some good hikes to doif you're prepared for it since they're all like 8000 or 9000+ feet up. Also the drive there from Idaho showed me a part of Nevada I never knew about and seems pretty neat to explore.

Road up to Wheeler was closed about 8 miles up due to snow, so we only got to Mather Overlook. Also did the Lehman Cave tour and its worth the extra $2 for the 90 minute tour. Just book online early because they sell our quick. It's only 20 people per tour and they do 10-13 a day.

I am biased since I lived close by for while but Great Basin and Lehman are beautiful places.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

charity rereg posted:

This is awesome and I'd love to see more when you're able.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

charity rereg posted:

Love this.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm headed to Iceland next month and I'm trying to figure out my tent situation. I have a hammock but that sounds like a no go for this trip. I'm also figuring for the future, since I already have a one person sleeping situation and I'll be throwing my tent into the back of a car, that I'd just go with this:
https://www.rei.com/product/129202/the-north-face-stormbreak-2-tent

Does that make sense?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Having a 2 person tent is wonderful so I see no downsides, the extra space owns.

Iceland effectively has no trees so yes a hammock is right out.

Be aware all the tent sites I saw were a bit sketchy. Like the one at Landmannalaugar is a glacial river basin so there's rocks everywhere and it can be hard to find a spot that isn't a pit of mud. Their rain tends to be a fine mist that comes and goes several times a day so it's impossible to ever dry anything out.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

huhu posted:

I'm headed to Iceland next month and I'm trying to figure out my tent situation. I have a hammock but that sounds like a no go for this trip. I'm also figuring for the future, since I already have a one person sleeping situation and I'll be throwing my tent into the back of a car, that I'd just go with this:
https://www.rei.com/product/129202/the-north-face-stormbreak-2-tent

Does that make sense?

My wife and I use a Marmot Tungsten 3P for car camping. The extra space is great and it's going in a car.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My wife and I use a 6 person REI Kingdome when car camping. We've been on one too many trips where it rained for 3 days straight, and having a space where you can stand up and maybe play a game of cards is well worth it. Packs up small enough for car camping, and 2 people can put it together without an issue.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
My hiking/climbing pants are getting too blown out to sew up again. I’d appreciate any suggestions that fit these criteria:
- not prana zions
- cinch or stretchy waist that will be comfortable under a harness
- slimmer cut

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Electoral Surgery posted:

- not prana zions
- slimmer cut
Not realy a help, but have you tried the straight leg Zions instead of the boot cut?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
What do you dislike about the zions? Because I kinda think they're the greatest ever.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I like Prana’s Brion pant a lot. It’s more straight leg, doesn’t have a cargo pocket and I’m pretty sure is the same material.

Only thing I can’t figure out is how to get wrinkles out of the Zion fabric.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Rolo posted:

I like Prana’s Brion pant a lot. It’s more straight leg, doesn’t have a cargo pocket and I’m pretty sure is the same material.

Only thing I can’t figure out is how to get wrinkles out of the Zion fabric.

I cannot comment on the wrinkles but Click here to visit gaze in wonder at Prana Zion pants with straight legs

Morbus
May 18, 2004

My hiking/climbing pants are getting too blown out to sew up again. I’d appreciate any suggestions that fit these criteria:
- not prana zions
- slimmer cut

Arcteryx gamma LT work well with a harness (including harness compatible pockets), and have a somewhat more athletic cut compared to a lot of hiking pants. They aren't as breathable as most of pranas pants but are substantially more water resistant (I like them a lot in snow). They are made from a thin but stretchy softshell material with a built in adjustable webbing belt. They are arcteryx, and therefore way too loving expensive at full retail price, but if you can find a deal they may be worth looking at. In terms of durability, the fabric is pretty thin but mine have held up pretty OK for ~18 months now. They are by no means super durable, though. I got one small hole that I patched in the butt from a pretty short glisade in rough/not so great snow.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

- not prana zions
- slimmer cut

I've been very happy with the Decathlon MH500 trousers. Comfy, low price, stretchy waste (with built in belt thing), slim cut for walking trousers. The women's ones are even better, really slim cut without compromising on comfort, my gf loves them despite being uncertain about getting walking trousers beforehand.

A. J. Flint
Jun 5, 2019

pointsofdata posted:

I've been very happy with the Decathlon MH500 trousers. Comfy, low price, stretchy waste (with built in belt thing), slim cut for walking trousers. The women's ones are even better, really slim cut without compromising on comfort, my gf loves them despite being uncertain about getting walking trousers beforehand.

Seconding these, really good for their price, though I haven't tried the women's. Man, Decathlon is a such a godsend in my area, they have so much nice stuff.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

- not prana zions
- slimmer cut

Outdoor Research Ferrosi pants?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

What's the advantage of having specific hiking pants instead of durable, well broken in jeans?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

What's the advantage of having specific hiking pants instead of durable, well broken in jeans?

Assuming you're talking about cotton jeans, there are plenty of reasons. On a basic level, synthetic clothing will often be lighter, wick moisture, dry faster, possibly be water resistant, and more breathable. It's just generally more comfortable for sustained outdoor exercise, especially if you'll be sweating.

More importantly for longer hikes or backpacking, cotton can be dangerous when wet and cold: https://sectionhiker.com/why-does-cotton-kill/

Edit: wool is also a good cotton alternative.

incogneato fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 10, 2019

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Safety issues aside, I wouldn't wear jeans even for a day hike purely on a comfort basis. I sweat a LOT.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Everything? Would you run a marathon in well broken in jean shorts?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Bottom Liner posted:

Everything? Would you run a marathon in well broken in jean shorts?

Absolutely this. Some friends I did a 2 day cycle trip with did it in double denim for a laugh. There was so much chafing, it's a terrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

You just made me cringe. Prana brions are amazing pants and basically the only pants I wear. The only downside is that they can get cold, but it's easy enough to wear an underlayer under them. They dry very quickly.