Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Wheeee posted:

How's the Ranger been doing? Seems like kind of a wet fart
Every time I want to like the new Ranger I look at the features and decisions they made and shake my head. Literally saw one on the road today and was like "I should go and actually look inside one" and the rear floor is all bumpy from sticking the driveshaft through it and putting the gas tank right underneath the rear driver side's feet and the cat underneath the rear passenger side's seat. So you dont have a flat load floor to put stuff on. Theres no grab handle. The coin tray thing is under a giant protrusion that almost covers it so youd have to do a weird twist to plug in a USB cord. The center console cubby is way behind your elbow. They aren't *bad* decisions, they're just loving dumb in context.

Powershift posted:

Yeah, it's garbage and the sales are probably gonna reflect that.

The 2.7eb should have been the base engine.
The 2.3eb is fine as a base engine, but the 2.7EB should have been an option and the 3.0eb as a raptor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Powershift posted:

Yeah, it's garbage and the sales are probably gonna reflect that.

The 2.7eb should have been the base engine.

Well the drivetrain seemed fine on the one I drove, the problem was the suspension feel. Just bouncy and lovely and floaty and somehow harsh and shuddery? Just felt real bad to be in.

Also they should have cooled seats

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Gladiator looks cool but lol $47k base model

They'll still sell every one they make ofc

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wheeee posted:

Gladiator looks cool but lol $47k base model

They'll still sell every one they make ofc

The gladiator starts at $33.5k US.

It's just Canada that gets hosed.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Dealerships around here (Charlotte NC area) do not bargain on Gladiators; you pay what they ask or the guy behind you will.

Not being a Jeep guy, I don't get the Gladiator.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Ornamented Death posted:

Dealerships around here (Charlotte NC area) do not bargain on Gladiators; you pay what they ask or the guy behind you will.

I'm a current rubi owner and I don't get the gladiator.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Ornamented Death posted:

What's not to get? America loves Jeeps and loves trucks even more. So of course a Jeep Truck would sell like hotcakes.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So I've been to a couple of dealers about the Skyactive-X and got a few offers.

The upgrade price is EUR2000 purely for the engine. So, for me the engine itself would break even in about 5 years time. But you can't get it without the bling package and the nicer wheels. So if you didn't plan on having that, the total upgrade costs EUR3000. The exact technical specs aren't out yet, but the engine reduces co2 emissions from 119mg/km to 100, and produces ~220 instead of ~210Nm. Highway mileage will likely beat (some) hybrid cars. Shipping time is the same as with the normal G122 engine, expected october.

No news yet on the rotary series hybrid.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Wheeee posted:

How's the Ranger been doing? Seems like kind of a wet fart

Starting to see a fair amount of them in the UK, the land where if you actually happen to spot someone driving a pickup truck it's 90% of the time a Mitsubishi L200

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

DonkeyHotay posted:

I'm a current rubi owner and I don't get the gladiator.

It looks way better than the alternatives

Tacoma: Ancient lifestyle truck that’s overpriced as gently caress because of the name
Colorado: GM product with a car engine
Frontier: Ancient basic cheap truck, good Truck but too basic for most people
Ranger: Overpriced joke

Gladiator may be silly, but at least it’s also cool

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Wheeee posted:

Tacoma: Ancient lifestyle truck that’s overpriced as gently caress because of the name

I dunno man, for Gladiator money you could get into a nice Colorado ZR2 and I know what I would pick if I were looking to buy a mid-size truck (hint: not the Jeep)

The bigger problem is that you can also get into a Ram Rebel for the same money and it manages not to feel any larger than the other two.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Wheeee posted:

Have you seen inside a newer wrangler/the gladiator? That poo poo is ancient and it was just developed. Also, it leaks like a mofo apparently, lol

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Elmnt80 posted:

Have you seen inside a newer wrangler/the gladiator? That poo poo is ancient and it was just developed. Also, it leaks like a mofo apparently, lol

And that’s before you drive one.

Jeeps are absolutely amazing off-road, but they are a rolling loving catastrophe on pavement, which is where 99% of them spend 100% of their time.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Arent Jeeps pretty much the only mainstream off-road oriented car.
They have next to no real competition.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Frond posted:

All cars are women.

That explains why I’m such a lesbian and such a car dweeb.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Arent Jeeps pretty much the only mainstream off-road oriented car.
They have next to no real competition.

can't wait to be disappointed by the Bronco :sigh:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Twerk from Home posted:

I've noticed rental car companies holding onto fleets longer for sure. I had one over 40k miles recently. Sonatas are fine, what are you comparing it to? I'd take a sonata over the last-gen rental only Malibu or an Altima any day.

The Optima I rented previously looked and felt a bit nicer. Kia seems to have a better handle on its interior design than Hyundai, imho. And yeah, I was thanking my lucky stars I didn't end up with one of the two Malibu on the lot that day.

In other news, I'm seriously giving some thought to buying a new (read: used) car. My eyes are currently on a 2016 Passat, so any thoughts on those would be appreciated.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I said the Gladiator was cool, not that it was good

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I saw a Gladiator in the wild the other day, and while I shamefully admit I thought it looked cool, I can't believe how long it is.
Seems like it'd be useless offroad. I mean, it almost looks longer than a full size F350.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I think I shared elsewhere, but my 2019 Jeep Cherokee rental did indeed end up on the back of a flatbed today. I think the 2.0 Turbo is shot. It was knocking at startup, smoothed out ok after a few minutes. Passing made a lot of noise and not a lot of power. You could almost 3 xlcount the Turbo lag and do a 2 count on the downshift. Oil level and coolant level appeared to be fine, temp seemed fine too. It got to where it was revving at 3k rpm to keep the car at highway speeds, then got a 'stop engine now' message.

Along with warning messages to service the cruise control, park sense, blind spot monitoring, and the center stack freezing up randomly. Evidently the blinking odometer means something is wrong as well, and there's an unlabeled red light in the tachometer center that is also on.

National is supposed to be dropping off a Lincoln MKC in the morning.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Goober Peas posted:

I think I shared elsewhere, but my 2019 Jeep Cherokee rental did indeed end up on the back of a flatbed today. I think the 2.0 Turbo is shot. It was knocking at startup, smoothed out ok after a few minutes. Passing made a lot of noise and not a lot of power. You could almost 3 xlcount the Turbo lag and do a 2 count on the downshift. Oil level and coolant level appeared to be fine, temp seemed fine too. It got to where it was revving at 3k rpm to keep the car at highway speeds, then got a 'stop engine now' message.

Along with warning messages to service the cruise control, park sense, blind spot monitoring, and the center stack freezing up randomly. Evidently the blinking odometer means something is wrong as well, and there's an unlabeled red light in the tachometer center that is also on.

Most of that sounds normal from my experiences with Jeep rental vehicles :haw:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Goober Peas posted:

Hmm...must be the Fiat influence coming through. I'm surprised it wasn't the transmission that was being a dumpster fire.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Well, Jeep does seem to be trying to compete with Land Rover after all.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

To bring up an earlier discussion, I'm right in the middle of the millennial age group and know a few gen x'ers too. No one I know is buying new cars. Even those who earn a good income are just keeping their 10-20 year old beaters (and mid range cars, lots of subarus) and running them into the ground. The couple of car guys I know buy used of course and one has a indy dealer access to auctions so he's not buying new obviously. On top of all that people are trying to get away from using cars when they can commuting/going out by bicycle instead since we have decent bike infrastructure.

VVV you're a prime candidate for a E92 M3 VVV

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 9, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think my long meandering indecisive journey to replace my WRX is ending. I test drove a Golf R yesterday and actually really liked the complete package even though it looks a bit too tame. The black wheels really help it look a bit more special than the two toned silver aluminum ones.

Still doesn't feel as quick as my WRX, but I know that's all down to how the power is delivered and quiet exhaust rather than actual metrics. It is exceedingly easy to drive quick though.

So, we'll see, by the end of the week I may be an owner of an iIridium Gray Golf R six speed manual.

This is a dumb move regardless because my job is transitioning to WFH 100% and I totally have no need for even two cars let alone a new car. But I figure my BRZ will be used more and more for autocross and good weather fun drives and the low milage will keep me under the 6 year complete bumper to bumper warranty for the Golf R so I won't have to worry about any German fun times for a long time.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The new Fit is probably as dull as the previous one hence no actual news. The people involved with it have likely forgot they made it.

It’s a small Honda, dull competence is what they’re aiming for and what they’ll undoubtedly hit.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Russian Bear posted:

To bring up an earlier discussion, I'm right in the middle of the millennial age group and know a few gen x'ers too. No one I know is buying new cars. Even those who earn a good income are just keeping their 10-20 year old beaters (and mid range cars, lots of subarus) and running them into the ground. The couple of car guys I know buy used of course and one has a indy dealer access to auctions so he's not buying new obviously. On top of all that people are trying to get away from using cars when they can commuting/going out by bicycle instead since we have decent bike infrastructure.

VVV you're a prime candidate for a E92 M3 VVV

Anecdote to Anecdote but I'm at the high age range for millennials and I would say most of my Gen-X acquaintances have bought new cars in the last 5 years and a large number of my younger millennial friends as well. The only person I know who legit drives around old beaters anymore is someone you could describe as an auto enthusiast but really, it's more that he's just super frugal... or spending all his money on something I don't know about.

I don't live in an area where commuting by means other than a car is practical most of the year which probably accounts for a lot of the difference, and there's a lot of the US where you can say that.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It’s a small Honda, dull competence is what they’re aiming for and what they’ll undoubtedly hit.

Honda really needs to raid the parts bin and build a Fit Type R. They could do wonderful things in the low $20k range. I can only guess that they don't because everyone in the target market segment would wait to buy one used.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Elem7 posted:

Anecdote to Anecdote but I'm at the high age range for millennials and I would say most of my Gen-X acquaintances have bought new cars in the last 5 years and a large number of my younger millennial friends as well. The only person I know who legit drives around old beaters anymore is someone you could describe as an auto enthusiast but really, it's more that he's just super frugal... or spending all his money on something I don't know about.

I don't live in an area where commuting by means other than a car is practical most of the year which probably accounts for a lot of the difference, and there's a lot of the US where you can say that.

As a millenial myself, I can say that interest in cars in general among my age group is down in general. But it's not as dire as some people make it out to be.
I know plenty of people who'd love to buy new cars and trucks, but nobody can afford them.

That, and it's just that it's hard to get excited about cars in general when all you can afford is to be the 6th owner of a base model Tercel with a broken radio.
At that point cars just become another expense. You have to pay for gas, fixing whatever the gently caress breaks, and insurance too. Kinda hard to do when you're already underpaid and overworked.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

ExplodingSims posted:

As a millenial myself, I can say that interest in cars in general among my age group is down in general. But it's not as dire as some people make it out to be.
I know plenty of people who'd love to buy new cars and trucks, but nobody can afford them.

That, and it's just that it's hard to get excited about cars in general when all you can afford is to be the 6th owner of a base model Tercel with a broken radio.
At that point cars just become another expense. You have to pay for gas, fixing whatever the gently caress breaks, and insurance too. Kinda hard to do when you're already underpaid and overworked.

Yeah echoing this sentiment. Other than a pocket of very rich and privileged manchildren who have family money financing a very expensive quarter mile hobby, the vast majority of people see cars as a huge tax on their income. There’s no money or time to really enjoy some nice car with features you like. People are in situations where one 400 dollar repair puts them into debt.

With no way to raise your income to a level where you don’t care about losing a couple hundred bucks people start looking at slashing costs since that’s what they can control and one of the first steps is to sell their cars and structure their life around a car free existence.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

With no way to raise your income to a level where you don’t care about losing a couple hundred bucks people start looking at slashing costs since that’s what they can control and one of the first steps is to sell their cars and structure their life around a car free existence.

This is a very city-centric view. For the majority of Americans, living without a car is extremely difficult to impossible.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

KillHour posted:

This is a very city-centric view. For the majority of Americans, living without a car is extremely difficult to impossible.

You're not wrong, but there is a reason that most people are moving back closer to city centers now.

And, again, for most people who are forced to have a car to survive, I think you'll find they're not too enthusiastic about having one.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Honda really needs to raid the parts bin and build a Fit Type R. They could do wonderful things in the low $20k range. I can only guess that they don't because everyone in the target market segment would wait to buy one used.

The Fiesta and Focus ST were exceptions to that rule, and they got cancelled in the U.S., because Ford's current CEO is only interested in selling F-Series trucks and mobility solutions powered by blockchain and AI

A Fit Si with the 1.5T would be neat but I don't see the business case when a Civic Si is $24K.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

You're not wrong, but there is a reason that most people are moving back closer to city centers now.

And, again, for most people who are forced to have a car to survive, I think you'll find they're not too enthusiastic about having one.

This. If I could survive without a car that would be nice actually.

I love Boston and fantasize about living in the city without a car, but gently caress that winter bullshit.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I love Boston and fantasize about living in the city without a car, but gently caress that winter bullshit.

I might be moving to Boston from Tampa for work, and besides the cold weather and extortionate prices of rent, I'm kind of looking forward to getting a place downtown and not having a vehicle. Of course due to the aforementioned rent prices I'll basically have to do that anyway just to afford a loving 500 square foot studio

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Applebees Appetizer posted:

This is where Im at now. After leaving Orlando and ending up in Portland. I'm in a place where I can walk to the grocery store if I choose, and there's a good selection of restaurants and such withing walking distance now.
I still have my car, but it's mostly used for beach and mountain trips. Dealing with traffic/parking/other people is barely worth it anymore, when you can hop on a bus or train downtown.

At some point I'd like to trade it in for a new 4Runner or something with 4x4 capabilities, but I think I'd rather put that money into buying a house first.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

a pocket of very rich and privileged manchildren who have family money

You just doxxed a good chunk of AI. :v:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

As an old millennial, I'm realizing that buying new expensive vehicles is stupid unless it's a toy. Like, if I got a Wrangler or MX5 it'd be new, but if you're buying something based on practical use there's not much reason not get something 2-3 years old, assuming you can get decent financing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

incels interlinked posted:

I might be moving to Boston from Tampa for work, and besides the cold weather and extortionate prices of rent, I'm kind of looking forward to getting a place downtown and not having a vehicle. Of course due to the aforementioned rent prices I'll basically have to do that anyway just to afford a loving 500 square foot studio

Lol yep. And even if you did have a car, good luck parking it btw

Apartment prices downtown have to be ridiculous but drat it would be fun.