Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Hindsight is 20/20 and I regret buying into Garfield’s sales pitch. Mans was clearly delusional in retrospect especially in that latest interview (conducted by my former coworker! Shoutouts to him!!!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Kind of a weird nothing article, only like two actual sentences from Garfield and one is basically just a repeat of something he said before about how lootboxes totally aren't pay-to-win. But yeah, if Garfield's main takeaway from the Artifact trials and tribulations was that review bombing hurt the game enough to kill the playerbase in one month, and that the bad reviews were caused by a lack of dailies/weeklies, then he's just straight up insane.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
That's because it's a summary of this: https://win.gg/news/1306

Somehow that got posted in a bunch of places, but not in here.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Im not sure what happened with artifact that made it so boring. I guess they had to stick to dota systems? Garfield can still design a fun game. Keyforge is great and really cheap to play.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Its also just mentally exhausting to play in a way that other tcgs arent.

Like sure its a lot more complex than something like HS and Gwent but its not meaningfully more complex than mtg and mtg isnt a complete chore to play more than 3 times in a sitting.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Hindsight is 20/20 and I regret buying into Garfield’s sales pitch. Mans was clearly delusional in retrospect especially in that latest interview (conducted by my former coworker! Shoutouts to him!!!)

shoulda listened to me man...

adamarama posted:

Im not sure what happened with artifact that made it so boring. I guess they had to stick to dota systems? Garfield can still design a fun game. Keyforge is great and really cheap to play.

i thought that was it but supposedly garfield designed a game and realized it was dota-ish and went to valve or something.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

adamarama posted:

Really boring cards and it was basically unstreamable so even the diehards didn't have a reason to stick around.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Andrigaar posted:

That's because it's a summary of this: https://win.gg/news/1306

Somehow that got posted in a bunch of places, but not in here.

I would’ve posted it if I still worked there lmao but nah.

Also shoutout Lysander. At TI he and one other person in the closed beta or whatever told me this game was going to have no chance.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yeah, I mean it was absolutely pay to win (pay to compete, if you really want to split hairs), all TCGs are, but the real problems were that it was too much work to play, the cards were boring, and there wasn't much progression in place to keep players engaged. Garfield got the last one right at least.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I think Garfield just needs to hold the L. I know he thinks the game is good since he tested it for years, but it clearly wasn’t and didn’t resonate with a public audience.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

I think Garfield just needs to hold the L. I know he thinks the game is good since he tested it for years, but it clearly wasn’t and didn’t resonate with a public audience.

Garfield is just really not on the same wavelength as 99% of humans. Have you ever tried to read the first edition Magic: The Gathering manual?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I still think the basic concept of a three lane TCG is fantastic. It just needed to strip back some of the pointless Dota-like complications (creeps, item store) and massively overhaul the cards.

I still hope they rework the game into something good one day.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Groovelord Neato posted:

shoulda listened to me man...

i thought that was it but supposedly garfield designed a game and realized it was dota-ish and went to valve or something.

Making games is a huge complicated ordeal, and I suspect the game Garfield approached valve with was likely very different than the end product.

Garfield is a tabletop designer first and foremost. It's likely that the game started out as a physical card game. Based on his past games, I suspect that Garfield likes designing games based on an interesting basic concept and fleshing it out. With Artifact it likely started with the idea of having to manage multiple board states at once, and the need to distribute our resources between them. The idea of powerful cards determining what cards you can play in a lane was probably present since early on too, to help try to simplify needing to manage three board states at once. I bet it was this base game that Garfield approached Valve with - manage three boards, powerful cards determine what color cards you can play to those boards. It's likely that items, creeps, etc all got added later on, after it truly became a Dota game.

I'm basing this all on my own experience designing both digital and tabletop games, including a card game, but I don't have any actual sources into Artifact specifically so I may be totally wrong. However it's guaranteed that any game will likely change significantly over the course of its design, so who the gently caress knows what the original game Garfield approached Valve with.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

Making games is a huge complicated ordeal, and I suspect the game Garfield approached valve with was likely very different than the end product.

Garfield is a tabletop designer first and foremost. It's likely that the game started out as a physical card game. Based on his past games, I suspect that Garfield likes designing games based on an interesting basic concept and fleshing it out. With Artifact it likely started with the idea of having to manage multiple board states at once, and the need to distribute our resources between them. The idea of powerful cards determining what cards you can play in a lane was probably present since early on too, to help try to simplify needing to manage three board states at once. I bet it was this base game that Garfield approached Valve with - manage three boards, powerful cards determine what color cards you can play to those boards. It's likely that items, creeps, etc all got added later on, after it truly became a Dota game.

I'm basing this all on my own experience designing both digital and tabletop games, including a card game, but I don't have any actual sources into Artifact specifically so I may be totally wrong. However it's guaranteed that any game will likely change significantly over the course of its design, so who the gently caress knows what the original game Garfield approached Valve with.

The artifact alpha and prototypes were shown off to Valve News YouTube guy or whatever and they were pretty close to what the game eventually was. Like the three lanes and all that poo poo was always a part of the game from the beginning.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think designing a game from the ground up as "hardcore" is usually a mistake. They made a game that was complicated but did not feel particularly deep or rewarding.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

I know he thinks the game is good since he tested it for years, but it clearly wasn’t and didn’t resonate with a public audience.
That interview is really funny in how he implicitly blames anything and anyone besides himself or the game being an expensive unfun mess for the flop.

Granted, at least for him, his reputation is probably the only thing worth trying to salvage from this whole mess, Valve is probably just gonna sweep this under the rug as soon as they can.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

How many failures does it take for people to think maybe Richard Garfield got lucky. Like I'm not even convinced Magic is a good game what with the whole being mana screwed/starved thing.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think designing a game from the ground up as "hardcore" is usually a mistake. They made a game that was complicated but did not feel particularly deep or rewarding.

see also: Wildstar.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

How many failures does it take for people to think maybe Richard Garfield got lucky. Like I'm not even convinced Magic is a good game what with the whole being mana screwed/starved thing.

Magic has problems that are easy to spot in retrospect but it also pretty much invented the genre so it's understandable it wouldn't be perfect. I think luck plays a big role in any mega-success like that but I don't think it was as major of a factor for Magic as it was for a lot of them, like, say, Minecraft, for example.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Duck and Cover posted:

Let’s be honest, if Magic was a good game, every set wouldn’t have cards that fatally unbalance the game, or the cards that make the last fatally unbalancing cards useless. It was a fun idea, and the collectible aspect was novel, but the game itself is highly flawed.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Deadguy2322 posted:

Let’s be honest, if Magic was a good game, every set wouldn’t have cards that fatally unbalance the game, or the cards that make the last fatally unbalancing cards useless. It was a fun idea, and the collectible aspect was novel, but the game itself is highly flawed.

I don't really know as I don't really play magic. The thing he keeps getting hired. Isn't his track record terrible?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Deadguy2322 posted:

Honestly, that's not an accurate description of Magic's design cycle. They have definitely made some mistakes over the last few years but there are reasons other than inertia that keep them on to top.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

I don't really know as I don't really play magic. The thing he keeps getting hired. Isn't his track record terrible?

hes made a ton of games, some good some bad. but overall his track record is pretty good

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

adamarama posted:

I really thought it was mostly the cards themselves. I don't know if it was classic first set timidity or if they were trying to compensate for the complexity of the core mechanics, but a set full of "target creature gets +2 attack" cards with no expansions in sight got old fast.

Duck and Cover posted:

I don't think so: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Garfield

I've only heard of about half of these, but even ignoring Magic, he's got a few celebrated hits here: RoboRally, V:TES, Netrunner (or at least the remake, which still had his name on the box), and KeyForge.

I think his issue is that he's prolific and compulsively tries to go in new directions. Personally, I respect that more than if he just redesigned his first hit every few years like a lot of developers, even if it gives him a lower hit rate overall.

edit: beaten

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Garfield has come back to wotc to make some sets and those sets have been very well received. He designed the first Ravnica set and they've come back to it like 3-4 times now.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Avasculous posted:

I really thought it was mostly the cards themselves. I don't know if it was classic first set timidity or if they were trying to compensate for the complexity of the core mechanics, but a set full of "target creature gets +2 attack" cards with no expansions in sight got old fast.

They probably just rushed the game out ASAP, so the cards were generic stuff thrown together, there weren't many game modes/formats, and there wasn't a stream overlay or working tournament mode or whatever quality of life features people would want. If the game was a free-to-play beta, sure toss it out there, but you can't expect people to pay :20bux: plus whatever money for cards for a rushed product and stay happy.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

babypolis posted:

hes made a ton of games, some good some bad. but overall his track record is pretty good

Oh okay guess it makes sense to keep hiring him then. Artifact is still totally better than Hearthstone.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the worst part is not adding the new heroes to dota.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Deadguy2322 posted:

This is insanely inaccurate what cards are you even talking about, last few sets have maybe a handful that even made it to modern.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Honestly the problems with Artifact are so obvious that I wonder if all the "man we had NO idea people wouldn't like this!" isn't just a bullshit PR move and in reality they knew they were shipping a totally transparent cash grab, but thought people would stick to it anyways because people gobble up everything else they put out. I mean, to not plan a single tournament for the game's release week/month says a LOT about how well they were anticipating things going

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Valve just feel like theyre completely out to lunch and have no idea how to build or interact with a community anymore.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

This is insanely inaccurate what cards are you even talking about, last few sets have maybe a handful that even made it to modern.

This is kind of what this thread does, people are just here to walk poo poo wildly.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

socialsecurity posted:

I played from retail launch to Ice Age, and my daughter got into it when she was about 10, around a decade ago. If it got away from the cycle of breakage, it must have been in between the periods I was paying attention to it.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Honestly the problems with Artifact are so obvious that I wonder if all the "man we had NO idea people wouldn't like this!" isn't just a bullshit PR move and in reality they knew they were shipping a totally transparent cash grab, but thought people would stick to it anyways because people gobble up everything else they put out. I mean, to not plan a single tournament for the game's release week/month says a LOT about how well they were anticipating things going

I doubt this, actually. The game peaked at ~60k users, who each bought in for $20. Assuming the whales and the huge number who spent 0 additional dollars averages out to $40 total/user, the total revenue for the game was around 2.5 million dollars.

That's not much of a cash grab when Steam generates about 11 million dollars a day for Valve, and I would guess even the pretty minor damage to Valve's reputation/brand of their first new game in 7 years imploding was not worth it.

The fact that they barely advertised the release does suggest they didn't expect a massive hit, but I think they would have just pulled the plug and eaten the development cost if they had any idea how bad it was going to be.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Reality Sinner posted:

Garfield has come back to wotc to make some sets and those sets have been very well received. He designed the first Ravnica set and they've come back to it like 3-4 times now.
He has a lot of interesting ideas that you see in his (very good) sets, but I think he needs a team of people who know how to playtest and balance cards properly. It seems like that set was largely skipped for Artifact, with a lot of the feedback they received during the closed beta going ignored.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It seems like that set was largely skipped for Artifact, with a lot of the feedback they received during the closed beta being totally masturbatory because people wanted to be insiders on the next big Valve promise

fixed that

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Avasculous posted:

I doubt this, actually. The game peaked at ~60k users, who each bought in for $20. Assuming the whales and the huge number who spent 0 additional dollars averages out to $40 total/user, the total revenue for the game was around 2.5 million dollars.

That's not much of a cash grab when Steam generates about 11 million dollars a day for Valve, and I would guess even the pretty minor damage to Valve's reputation/brand of their first new game in 7 years imploding was not worth it.

The fact that they barely advertised the release does suggest they didn't expect a massive hit, but I think they would have just pulled the plug and eaten the development cost if they had any idea how bad it was going to be.

Yeah Valve used to have a reputation for being overwhelmingly cautious when it came to game dev. This whole debacle is pretty solid proof that the Valve we knew back in the day doesn’t exist anymore.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

....why would there be non-DOTA heroes in the DOTA card game? lol valve come on guys, get that brand synergy going

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Groovelord Neato posted:

Still shaking my head at the new red spear-wielding hero in Dota 2 being some dude named Mars and not Sorla Khan. Such a strange decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Still shaking my head at the new red spear-wielding hero in Dota 2 being some dude named Mars and not Sorla Khan. Such a strange decision

I've seen discussions about how the terrible Sonic design was intentionally different from the regular renditions in order to give it a degree of separation from the film which they figured would be bad and the main franchise which is only unintentionally bad, and I wonder if this is something similar. Like, they didn't want to move any Artifact heroes into Dota until they knew the game was successful and now that it's not they can safely drop all their plans of doing that.

That being said I think both Mars and all the original Artifact heroes are poorly designed but in very different ways