Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Hello basically dead thread. I need any Portland goons who have a weirdly free schedule on Wednesday the 22nd at 2pm to show up at city council for the budget approval vote. The current proposal from Wheeler would cut around 6 million from the parks department. This would end up firing a bunch of working class people from a department that provides great service to our community while being a revenue earner for the city.

So if you can, show up at City Hall, 1221 SE 4th ave, at 2pm Wednesday and tell them to knock that poo poo off. We can fund our services with the money we got so let's do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Hello basically dead thread. I need any Portland goons who have a weirdly free schedule on Wednesday the 22nd at 2pm to show up at city council for the budget approval vote. The current proposal from Wheeler would cut around 6 million from the parks department. This would end up firing a bunch of working class people from a department that provides great service to our community while being a revenue earner for the city.

So if you can, show up at City Hall, 1221 SE 4th ave, at 2pm Wednesday and tell them to knock that poo poo off. We can fund our services with the money we got so let's do that.

Amen, support the poo poo out of your parks, Portland goons.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

quote:

OLYMPIA – Washington workers would have to receive significantly larger salaries to be exempt from overtime pay in the coming years under proposed rules being finalized by a state agency.

The rules – criticized Wednesday as a new “super minimum wage” by the Association of Washington Business and praised by Gov. Jay Inslee as a “long-overdue update” – would be phased in starting next year unless changes are made during an upcoming public comment period.

By 2026, a salaried executive, administrative or professional worker would have to be making nearly $80,000 per year to be exempt from overtime pay after working more than 40 hours in a work week. That’s 2.5 times the current salary that can exempt those workers from overtime pay.

Link

I really hope to see this happen in other states. Seven years is a long time, but I haven't heard of any other state proposing this.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Solkanar512 posted:

Link

I really hope to see this happen in other states. Seven years is a long time, but I haven't heard of any other state proposing this.

They're taking 2020 to start, I think. There's a phase-in, like with the Seattle minimum wage. 2026 is when it starts getting inflation-adjusted.

I already put in for PTO to show up for the town hall for it in Seattle.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Good news, looks like Oregon is joining the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact: https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/05/politics/oregon-house-passes-national-popular-vote/index.html

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Solkanar512 posted:

Link

This is extremely cool and good.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Solkanar512 posted:

Link

The Association of Washington Business can chow down on a bag of dicks.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Solkanar512 posted:

Link

Lol it'll prolly be cheaper to give me a raise to 80k than pay me overtime for all the weeks I put in 50-70 hours on salary.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I think that'll be my situation too. To bad not until 2026.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
It’s still a solid move in the correct direction.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Wait is it all or just state employees?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

BrandorKP posted:

Wait is it all or just state employees?

It's everyone.

And if enough people show up and say "not enough, move further, faster" maybe it'll wind up being sooner than 2026 in my fantasy world.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
$15 an hour will be like $10 by 2020

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Pander posted:

Lol it'll prolly be cheaper to give me a raise to 80k than pay me overtime for all the weeks I put in 50-70 hours on salary.

That's the point, you're getting exploited and the state wants to put a stop to it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Relevant Tangent posted:

That's the point, you're getting exploited and the state wants to put a stop to it.

Oh I am aware. I just appreciate the irony.

Anyway my company will probably just tell me I need to work out of their Portland office to avoid this.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
When the Obama administration was saying they were changing the labor department rules to make it so anybody who was overtime exempt had to make at least $47k, my company rolled out a bunch of raises. The company is probably paying out more in salaries than they would have if paying OT in a normal year for a lot of positions. They announced raises out before it got thrown out in court and knew better than to cut anyone back down. I think they would rather that cost just be fixed at the beginning of the year and pay more than have to figure out how much OT they will be paying every month.

If it raises to 80k in Washington alone I could see them just closing any back office departments located in Washington. Most companies will probably not have that luxury and have to either pay OT or eat the cost, which is fine by me.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
My org did the same dang thing wrt raising everybody's salary to around $47k. Only way we ever got a raise.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Is it really that hard for companies not to have workers work more than 40 hours a week? People working more than that are usually exhausted and not working at their full productivity anyways, so it isn't like they would be losing much.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

The extra time doesn't cost the company anything, so even if it takes 20 hours to get 5 hours of work done...
:capitalism:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Weird. I get paid for any amount of time over 40 hours at 1.5x my hourly rate. Wonder what the difference in my employment could possibly be?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Same. Strange.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
My company used to get all sorts of extra hours out of me, partly because i'm 100% work from home, but then someone made a stink about people working from vacation destinations and at odd hours and they said I had to block out a minimum 8.5 working hours per day between 7 am and 7 pm so now they just get between 40 and 43 hours out of me each week and that's it. By being more rigid about my working hours and location they made me get rigid about the number of hours I work. Sad.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Weird. I get paid for any amount of time over 40 hours at 1.5x my hourly rate. Wonder what the difference in my employment could possibly be?

The difference is you are not getting a set salary per year, your pay is based off of hours worked in a pay period. If your job was switched to say making $40,000 per year no matter what your boss could theoretically have you work extra hours without you being compensated for the extra time. Setting a minimum salary for hours worked past 40 in a week to not be considered overtime pay is the purpose of the law.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

(poo poo post malone has a union)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

logger posted:

The difference is you are not getting a set salary per year, your pay is based off of hours worked in a pay period. If your job was switched to say making $40,000 per year no matter what your boss could theoretically have you work extra hours without you being compensated for the extra time. Setting a minimum salary for hours worked past 40 in a week to not be considered overtime pay is the purpose of the law.

Sounds like a salary without a contract is kind of a raw deal then, no?

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Do you ever expect employers to want to give fair wages? That is why labor laws and unions are so important.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

You're just saying explicitly what I was implying to begin with.

I have a contract at work. It explicitly defines OT pay.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

My dad used to say salary is slavery. In some jobs the lowest tier of management isn't really management. It's people they dangle management in front of to make them take salary so they can get 80 hours a week out of them.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

This isn't super specific about the PNW but they talk about housing and poverty with specific laws being proposed in Oregon and Washington.

https://www.earwolf.com/episode/poverty-the-housing-crisis-and-lobster-on-food-stamps-w-matthew-desmond/

This is the kind of poo poo that people need to hear.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

ElCondemn posted:

This isn't super specific about the PNW but they talk about housing and poverty with specific laws being proposed in Oregon and Washington.

https://www.earwolf.com/episode/poverty-the-housing-crisis-and-lobster-on-food-stamps-w-matthew-desmond/

This is the kind of poo poo that people need to hear.

This link just refuses to load for me. Could you tell me the name of the show so I can look it up where I usually download podcasts?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The show is called "Factually" and it has that smug Adam dude on it apparently.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

im on the net me boys posted:

This link just refuses to load for me. Could you tell me the name of the show so I can look it up where I usually download podcasts?

Factually: Poverty, the Housing Crisis and Lobster on Food Stamps w/ Matthew Desmond

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Thanks to both of you!

Also, I'm very glad to share that Washington's capital has put $1.1m for a supportive housing and shelter project.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Oregon's carbon cap bill/vote thereof is turning into a proper shitshow.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Republican lawmakers being total cowards is nothing new for Oregon, but man does it make battling climate change impossible. My favorite part is the Republican rep. who threatened to shoot state troopers sent to bring him back to the House, and then subsequently fled the state with the other 10.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

The show is called "Factually" and it has that smug Adam dude on it apparently.

It's annoying when folks complain about others being "smug". He spends his tv time debunking all sorts of poo poo that's harmful to society and pissing off MRAs, and there's likely just a stage personal going on.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 20, 2019

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Javid posted:

Oregon's carbon cap bill/vote thereof is turning into a proper shitshow.

Oregon Democrats made the mistake of treating the Republican minority with kid gloves, and set an expectation for them that Republicans could resist any liberal laws by simply refusing to show up.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Republican lawmakers being total cowards is nothing new for Oregon, but man does it make battling climate change impossible. My favorite part is the Republican rep. who threatened to shoot state troopers sent to bring him back to the House, and then subsequently fled the state with the other 10.

What the gently caress

mrchoupon
Jun 3, 2001

quote:

”Send bachelors and come heavily armed,” Sen. Brian Boquist, a Republican from Dallas, said late Wednesday as the prospect of a walkout loomed. “I’m not going to be a political prisoner in the state of Oregon. It’s just that simple.”

It’s ok that he’s threatening violence, he’s a white male.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm just morbidly curious how far this is gonna go.