Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The government does not respect your liberties and you must defend yourself, except you are

More like oldtarpless

E: oh poo poo I got a terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm halfway through Ever Decreasing Circles' second season, and I like that Paul is a flawed character - he is the exact opposite of Martin, who is jealous, petty, obsessive, controlling, humourless... and STABLE. Paul is unstable. Paul can't commit to anything, to the extent that it hurts his personal life. He excels at something, quickly grows bored and quits to do something else, something that has driven his wife away from him, and he hasn't even waited for the divorce to be served before jumping into bed with other women. He is an awful person too, but in a very different way.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
This is actually the complete opposite of the point of the thread, but rewatching Friends I was surprised how progressive some of it was. The very first episode had Ross's wife leave him for.another woman, and it's more or less treated exactly the same as if she left him for a man. Carol and Susan's relationship for the most part was handled really well. And for all the jokes about Chandler's Dad, when he showed up it was actually quite sweet.

For content though, male homosexuality is still treated with the same gay panic as most other 90s shows.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The rule of heteronormativity is that lesbianism is fine as long as they're "hot."

That's why a teenybopper show like Buffy can get away with an on-screen lesbian kiss (done with as much class as one would expect from Whedon) but a sitcom with a male couple front-and-center like Modern Family won't have them do PDA until the background of like, the fourth season.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Also a bit behind but Fellowship of the Ring is the only "good" Lord of the Rings movie, in the sense that it has a satisfying structure and the CGI isn't as prominent. Even then it still suffers from major shaky-cam in the Mines of Moria brawl.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

The rule of heteronormativity is that lesbianism is fine as long as they're "hot."

That's why a teenybopper show like Buffy can get away with an on-screen lesbian kiss (done with as much class as one would expect from Whedon) but a sitcom with a male couple front-and-center like Modern Family won't have them do PDA until the background of like, the fourth season.

Didnt Angel & Spike gently caress eventually? I think that was on Angel though and of course, off screen in a flashback. Also I'm pretty sure Angel/Spike/Dru/Darla had a poly thing going on back in the day lmao

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Koalas March posted:

Didnt Angel & Spike gently caress eventually? I think that was on Angel though and of course, off screen in a flashback. Also I'm pretty sure Angel/Spike/Dru/Darla had a poly thing going on back in the day lmao

Yeah, it's kind of like an off-hand remark about something that happened a long time ago and definitely, absolutely off-screen.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Angel/Spike stuff is all subtext and offhand, buried way deep in lore extrapolation, even if it's obvious something happened at one point or another. The lesbian stuff, or like Darla/Drusilla grinding on each other, is out and proud because "hot."

To say nothing of Xander's constant gay panic in the first few seasons. Homeboy had a mad crush on Oz. Apparently Whedon did the equivalent of flipping a coin in deciding whether to make Xander or Willow gay in the fourth season, and you can see that either choice would have had sufficient foreshadowing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
To be fair, iirc the first lesbian kiss shown on Buffy was Tara comforting Willow who was distraught in the aftermath of Joyce's death. It wasn't salacious, it was sweet. I don't really remember but I'm sure it all fell off a cliff after that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I wasn't being sarcastic. Whedon was about as classy as you could expect him to be-- it was a panicked kiss for comfort, affection, reclaiming, etc. It was very sweet and not sexualized at all, but it still had that calculated stink that a lot of his more "witty" creative choices do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Deep Space 9 had to cheat with space magic to justify a lesbian kiss and still falling under 'they're hot'.

Oddly enough a series tradition given Kirk and Uhura's kiss in TOS also needed space magic and Shatner deliberately screwing up every almost-kiss take.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Deep Space 9 had to cheat with space magic to justify a lesbian kiss and still falling under 'they're hot'.

Oddly enough a series tradition given Kirk and Uhura's kiss in TOS also needed space magic and Shatner deliberately screwing up every almost-kiss take.

TNG had a similar thing with Frakes being down with kissing a bloke but the studio vetoed it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The one decent thing Shatner ever did. Except he probably did it because he didn’t want people thinking he would ever fail at kissing a lady.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Heck after Ellen came out the episode where she actually kisses a girl had to air with a warning. Network Standards and Practices often are pretty conservative.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The one decent thing Shatner ever did. Except he probably did it because he didn’t want people thinking he would ever fail at kissing a lady.

In an interview at the time he said he just visualised her as another alien he had to kiss. “I’d already kissed a green girl, a black one wasn’t difficult for an actor of my experience”. *

*This interview took place in my head, in 1968, while the whole cast were dressed in kaftans lying on beanbags and lit up on qualuudes and primo ganja.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

TNG had a similar thing with Frakes being down with kissing a bloke but the studio vetoed it.
loving TNG-ENT was homophobic as balls and it's a huge black stain on its pretensions to socially progressive values. It wasn't the cast or writers or fans or anything, it was entirely the people in the high chairs.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Heck after Ellen came out the episode where she actually kisses a girl had to air with a warning. Network Standards and Practices often are pretty conservative.

Jesus christ.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The DS9 documentary that just came out was pretty good, had the showrunner outright admit they should have handled LGBT issues better.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Also a bit behind but Fellowship of the Ring is the only "good" Lord of the Rings movie, in the sense that it has a satisfying structure and the CGI isn't as prominent. Even then it still suffers from major shaky-cam in the Mines of Moria brawl.

I don't necessarily agree 100% but the major battle scenes in 2 and 3 really did scream "LOOK HOW MUCH MONEY WE'RE SPENDING!" and while cool, fun set pieces to watch if you looked away for 10 minutes to check your phone you don't miss anything of substance.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Is that the Pulaski spin-off no one wanted?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

GoutPatrol posted:

Is that the Pulaski spin-off no one wanted?

I'd watch a Dr Pulaski show. I'm thinking something like House MD but in space.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Tiggum posted:

It’s a redubbing of Zoidberg’s lines, by House. Nothing else changed.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah a Starfleet Medical melodrama would be :krad:

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Mercy Point aired for a few episodes in the late 90s - got cancelled after only one or two had aired because UPN didn't want to air series that actually cost money. I remember it as being OK but not as good as an abstract potential TV series based on the Sector General novels b/c it was far too human orientated.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah a Starfleet Medical melodrama would be :krad:

Why though? They just wave flashing whirring doodads over people and then they're magically cured

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mashing up the inherent goofy bullshit of Star Trek with the inherent vanity of a medical drama would be funny.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

Why though? They just wave flashing whirring doodads over people and then they're magically cured

That's pretty much how medicine worked in House MD too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Barry Foster posted:

So we're just talking about taking that one Mitchell and Webb sketch about the half-assed medical drama and giving it a sci-fi coat of paint? I can get behind that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_AmdvxbPT8

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Full disclosure I've never watched a medical drama (unless Scrubs counts)

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

Full disclosure I've never watched a medical drama (unless Scrubs counts)

Well it certainly wasn't funny.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tiggum posted:

I say this because I am trying to watch TNG all the way through for the first time and Beverly Crusher is so much better.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN8DjUAS45Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbCnATqgZW4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMKz1jvEo4I

This is the only medical drama that the world needs.

BrigadierSensible has a new favorite as of 13:11 on Jun 10, 2019

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

"What if we recreated the dynamic between Spock and Bones, but one of them is essentially a child who never fights back? Yeah that sounds like a recipe for a beloved new character, I want fifteen pages of her bullying this autistic robot by tomorrow morning"

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I loved Pulaski. I came to ST super late (I only watched TOS and TNG, like, three years ago) so I was already sort of aware of the extra-textual stuff, but man, Pulaski was just lightning in a bottle. It's a pity she had a bad experience because hot drat she would have been awesome on DS9.

e: ^^^ welp

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I don't understand how you could be so mistaken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EkN8WtFTpE

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pentyne posted:

I don't necessarily agree 100% but the major battle scenes in 2 and 3 really did scream "LOOK HOW MUCH MONEY WE'RE SPENDING!" and while cool, fun set pieces to watch if you looked away for 10 minutes to check your phone you don't miss anything of substance.

At least the LotR Trillogy is good enough to watch all the way though, you can't really say that about The Hobbit

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Iron Crowned posted:

At least the LotR Trillogy is good enough to watch all the way though, you can't really say that about The Hobbit

The extended edition of The Battle of Five Armies has a section where Balin mows down a group of orcs using a chain crossbow launcher on the back of a chariot while unconvincingly saying that he's too old for this poo poo.

I appreciated gloriously stupid poo poo like that a lot compared to loving Alfrid and his fake breasts or that loving golden statue at the end of the second movie.

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 13:52 on Jun 10, 2019

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't understand how you could be so mistaken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EkN8WtFTpE

Thank you, was phone posting when I read that and losing my mind because I couldn't correct that heinous lie.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Thank you, was phone posting when I read that and losing my mind because I couldn't correct that heinous lie.

:rolleye::hf::rolleye:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

I say this because I am trying to watch TNG all the way through for the first time and Beverly Crusher is so much better.
Crusher was... fine I guess? I didn't dislike her, but if she'd been written out of the show permanently I wouldn't have cared at all. But Pulaski was great. It's a tragedy that she was only in one season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Scrubs iirc was basically the most accurate medical drama in among other things that 99% of the time medicine is pretty rote, a shitload of patients die, often inevitably, and most actual medical issues are dealing with new depths of stupidity like the guy who put a light bulb up his rear end.

Starfleet Medical would probably have endless material in bizarre alien conditions and also dealing with the aftermath of your average Star Trek episode.