Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i agree with ya'll im just sad that p4 didnt draw me in as much as the others. it was beautifully animated and colored and i mostly enjoyed the characters but the last 1/4th i was just kinda like well this is happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I'll admit that, as a manga reader, I've always loved Part 5 but I never really got Diavolo as a villain. I thought he was just kind of...there.

That all changed with the anime. The build up to Diavolo has been amazing.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

That's why Kira works so well. He's not a bombastic world-conquering ham like DIO or Kars, he's this more lowkey Patrick Bateman creep that just wants to live a quiet life where he can keep killing women for their hands with impunity and is willing to murder children to achieve that.

DIO and Kars are entertaining over the top assholes while Kira is more sinister and unsettling.
I actually think Kars is my least favorite villain, for now followed by Diavolo. Kars just didn't do much. His final appearance was cool and funny, but before that he was just kinda chill.

I'm not sure if I'll like Diavolo, because he's the only villain who appeared this late. All three others had presense throughout the story, but as an actual character, not Doppio or "Here's my stand, gently caress you", Diavolo appeared just now.

I think he doesn't work as well as Kira because Kira was a charismatic hypocritical rear end in a top hat. Sure, he wasn't a threat to the world, but honestly, neither is Diavolo. It feels like he just wants more money and not be discovered. I'd compare him to a tyrant, but I don't feel like he wants to rule over even a country. And the whole drugs motivation was just so messy. A few people were like "yep, drugs happened somewhere in my life, and there's a person in the alley all hosed up because of them". I get that what he's doing is more terrible than Kira's actions, but it wasn't ever shown in a way that made me hate him.
Kira's motives are simple as poo poo, and quite similar to Diavolo with the whole "quiet life" part, but we see his victims, see what he does, and most importantly, see him.

Still, I like Diavolo a lot, and hope his final battle is ridiculous enough that I'll like him even more.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Zyla posted:

i agree with ya'll im just sad that p4 didnt draw me in as much as the others. it was beautifully animated and colored and i mostly enjoyed the characters but the last 1/4th i was just kinda like well this is happening

Aww, that sucks. I felt like part 4 had the actual best final fight in the series because you have poo poo like KO'd Okuyasu and Stray Cat and it feels like the villain and the hero have a bunch of puzzle pieces that just sort of fall into place like Kira doing some quick basic geometry to figure out when to blow up the air bombs or the timing of the characters' arrivals (and this even works if you extend this backwards to Hayato's dealing with Bites the Dust and how he got out of that) and it just felt super satisfying to read/watch.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I don't think anyone aside from Bruno really cares all that much about the drugs.
Giorno is like "I wanna be a gangstar and be cool and poo poo" and Bruno is his in. He gives him assurances that drugs are bad and he's not about that, but I never got the impression that Giorno really cares all that much himself, aside from drug-trade not fitting his image of the GangStar. For what it's worth, Bruno got just as upset about the boss wanting to kill Trish, because family matters to Bruno. It is a bit messy, but I wouldn't say it's a particular focus of the story.

I guess Polnareff just brought it up as his way to track the gay stand mafia, but that seems normal for tracking organized crime? The thing he cared about was the stand arrow and being a general do-gooder fighting stand crime.

Agreed on Kars being the weakest villain though.
There's just nothing there as far as his character is concerned.The ultimate being shenannigans are entertaining enough and he's important for JoJos stepping away from just punch-mans and doing creative power-sets instead, but he doesn't really measure up to the personality of Dio and/or the Stand villains.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

YF-23 posted:

Aww, that sucks. I felt like part 4 had the actual best final fight in the series because you have poo poo like KO'd Okuyasu and Stray Cat and it feels like the villain and the hero have a bunch of puzzle pieces that just sort of fall into place like Kira doing some quick basic geometry to figure out when to blow up the air bombs or the timing of the characters' arrivals (and this even works if you extend this backwards to Hayato's dealing with Bites the Dust and how he got out of that) and it just felt super satisfying to read/watch.

Though the bit with the incredibly slow air-bomb in the anime was a little awkward.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

YF-23 posted:

I loved the final fight tho it was immensely satisfying. I guess I just didnt see Kira as that charismatic?

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Zyla posted:

I loved the final fight tho it was immensely satisfying. I guess I just didnt see Kira as that charismatic?
That's fair. He's quite dry, which is not Jojo's usual type of character.

The worst villain of Part 4 is Shigechi, anyways.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That fourteen year old boy deserved his ignoble death.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

WE DID IT BOYS

KIRA SAID HE GOT A BONER

IT GOT BLEEPED

BUT HE SAID BONER

Toonami are a bunch of cowards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4eu27eNKns

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Kira being able to do the geometry required to aim the invisible air bombs just off knowing his height and the length of his limbs because his parents made him go to a summer camp he hated and then saying "I'm gonna nail Josuke with this like it's a Joe Montana football throw" is the funniest poo poo in the world

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The biggest problem with Kars, IMO, is that he shows up right after Wham, who rules and was extremely good throughout his entire character arc. Wham, Straits, and Santana are great villains who draw the best out of our hero, while Esidisi and Kars are just kinda there to be rude and evil. Kars is overshadowed in impact and personality by almost every other villain in his own part.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

MachuPikacchu posted:

I'll admit that, as a manga reader, I've always loved Part 5 but I never really got Diavolo as a villain. I thought he was just kind of...there.

Up to his reveal Diavolo is cool, it's the next bit that is lame.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

^^^This is the anime thread, why do people keep doing this. Let people make up their own minds when they see it.

MachuPikacchu posted:

Now that we can talk about this stuff here, as i mentioned in the manga thread a while ago, manga readers oddly COMPLETELY separated Doppio from Diavolo for some reason, while anime viewers seem to combine them both (as it should be). Doppio is a huge part of the buildup and development for Diavolo, and what makes him so fun.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

MachuPikacchu posted:

The thing that gets me is that Polnareff clearly has three of his limbs chopped off in the flashback...but then in the present he has both his arms.

Silver Chariot also has both eyes even though Diavolo specifically gouged out its eye, not Polnareff's.

That's a lot worse than I remember.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It seemed like Doppio was just a fake person that Diavolo created to hide when I read the manga, while the anime made it clear he was literally just born as two people.

I always liked Diavolo in terms of design and such, but the whole Doppio thing did just seem like Kira again but not as good. The anime has helped a lot in that regard, but I still don't think he compares as well to Kira.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also we have confirmation from DC Douglas, even though the original script said boner, he adlibbed and said COCK

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Momomo posted:

It seemed like Doppio was just a fake person that Diavolo created to hide when I read the manga, while the anime made it clear he was literally just born as two people.

I always liked Diavolo in terms of design and such, but the whole Doppio thing did just seem like Kira again but not as good. The anime has helped a lot in that regard, but I still don't think he compares as well to Kira.

Was that clear? It felt like Diavolo spawned Doppio when that priest found his mother and his desire to keep his true monstrosity secret went into overdrive. Doppio hasn't aged a day since then, after all.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's literally just that araki once read some poo poo somewhere about people with multiple personalities changing looks a bit when switching between them mixed with his inscrutable inability to understand the concept of 'aging' along with a healthy dash of weird shonen bullshit

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Darth Walrus posted:

Was that clear? It felt like Diavolo spawned Doppio when that priest found his mother and his desire to keep his true monstrosity secret went into overdrive. Doppio hasn't aged a day since then, after all.

When his mother gave birth to him his eyes did the thing, so they've both been there the entire time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Momomo posted:

When his mother gave birth to him his eyes did the thing, so they've both been there the entire time.

I feel like there was a stronger divergence after he burned his village, though. That makes the most sense with Doppio's character design.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

gnome7 posted:

The biggest problem with Kars, IMO, is that he shows up right after Wham, who rules and was extremely good throughout his entire character arc. Wham, Straits, and Santana are great villains who draw the best out of our hero, while Esidisi and Kars are just kinda there to be rude and evil. Kars is overshadowed in impact and personality by almost every other villain in his own part.

Pretty much. I think I mentioned this earlier, but the most reaction I had to Kars before he went all Ultimate Lifeform was "Well, that was kind of a dick move." when he stabbed Lisa Lisa.

Even then, I can't really fault him for that move because it's either that or fighting a Ripple Master and, on the off chance he wins, fighting the guy that killed the other three Pillar Men afterwards.

Waffleman_ posted:

Also we have confirmation from DC Douglas, even though the original script said boner, he adlibbed and said COCK

I had a feeling. They've said worse than boner in the dub.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Diavolo probably isn't fully human anyway, his whole origin is something out of Rosemary's Baby.

Dude's name is devil after all.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 9, 2019

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Kars rules. He looks so awesome!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Momomo posted:

Kira is the 1st or second best villain in the whole series.

Without the bad translation, Diavolo is still better than DIO (not Brando), Kars, etc. and is really fun in his own way; especially in trying to stay alive while being nerfed as Doppio. The funniest part is that he's basically invincible outside of the self inflicted weakness of hiding himself by being two people.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
It's pretty interesting seeing all those reactions from manga people being impressed by this anime and talking about what wasn't obvious or what was just bad, mostly due to translation. The scans I've seen were pretty drat rough, and not even in a fun way, just boring and confusing. I can't imagine how you guys made it through.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There's been a complete good translation for a while now thanks in part to our own Daxing Dan, they've even made official merch with his lines on it!

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
While I don't enjoy "wait until you see what's next!" Manga talk, I do genuinely enjoy manga readers discussing the anime allowing them to appreciate details that weren't as clear when they read the series.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Vookatos posted:

It's pretty interesting seeing all those reactions from manga people being impressed by this anime and talking about what wasn't obvious or what was just bad, mostly due to translation. The scans I've seen were pretty drat rough, and not even in a fun way, just boring and confusing. I can't imagine how you guys made it through.

We took what we could get at the time, just because the Stand fights and the art and feel were so amazing.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kira is such a better villain than Diavolo Imo. The problems with Diavolo is kind of my problem with all of part 5. It's all fights and little character interaction. Like with Kira, we got to see him when he wasn't killing people! Even before the identity change, we saw him gently caress around at lunch, going to his favorite sandwich shop and spending quiet time at home. When the switch over happens, we see the absolutely insane lengths he'll go to cover his tracks. We see how he interacts with having to have a new family and he weirdly enough would be a good husband. but it'll never work given how incredible his drive to kill people is.

We even see how Kira's arrogance came into play. His dad clearly doted on him as he helped cover up his crimes. He was smart enough not to stand out. He's killed dozens of people without getting caught. It's no wonder why he thinks he's hot poo poo. However, his arrogant streak is ultimately what leads to his defeat
Even Kira's abilities are better. It has a nice contrast with the protag. Josuke heals, Kira blows poo poo up. It allows for Kira to be powerful but not invincible. He lucks out with his fight with stray cat. Also bites the dust, while powerful, isn't a godlike ability. Like all good jojo abilities it has specific rules and weaknesses.

I can hardly describe Diavolo at all. His background doesn't really lend any insight into his personality. He's born evil and maybe develops an alternate personality? He decided early on to stay hidden and get rich. Also, Akari was dumb for giving him such a broken ability, since it runs into the same problem that he had with Dio.

Look all I'm saying is that part 4 was god drat incredible and it's not surprising that the next part didn't live up to it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Monaghan posted:

I can hardly describe Diavolo at all.

No one must know who he is or what he does in his downtime. Not even the audience. :argh:

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

JackDarko posted:

While I don't enjoy "wait until you see what's next!" Manga talk, I do genuinely enjoy manga readers discussing the anime allowing them to appreciate details that weren't as clear when they read the series.

I freely admit that sometimes the manga can be a bit...busy...when it comes to the action scenes, and one of the things that I appreciate the most about the anime is the fact that I finally understand what's going on in some places.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like Kira, better then Diavolo, but I disagree with you quite a bit.

Anyway I think we Manga Readers should wait till Diavolo is done before we go over him a bunch.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 9, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Who is hotter Goth Twinklord Diavolo or Daddy Kira

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Twinklord Diavolo 500%

Kira's okay but its hard to get excited about someone who is so aggressively straight and intentionally boring to not stand out

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

No one must know who he is or what he does in his downtime. Not even the audience. :argh:

I get the impression he does not really have a personal life. He just sits in apartments giving orders through computers and Doppio, and when he goes out to enjoy stuff he goes as Doppio.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There would be some fantastic irony with Diavolo going through all of this trouble to protect his personal life only to not have any idea what to do with his personal life.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Kars rules. He looks so awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUhVCoTsBaM

AYYIIAYAAYIAAA

This theme is so ridiculous i love it. this is like the music you hear for a Persian entourage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

gnome7 posted:

Twinklord Diavolo 500%

Kira's okay but its hard to get excited about someone who is so aggressively straight and intentionally boring to not stand out
Fair, but consider that anime only scene where Kira is making breakfast in a womans apartment and wearing an apron