Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Let's be honest; By the time that comes around again the X-Men might be under the Marvel Studios umbrella.

Dark Phoenix is the last X-Men movie not connected to the MCU. Guaranteed. New Mutants is never going to be released. Deadpool 3 will have some 4th wall breaking bit where Deadpool and his supporting cast are moved into the MCU. And from then on out all X-Men related movies will be part of the MCU. I imagine that they'll piggyback off Deadpool and do an X-Force movie first, but you never know, they didn't pussyfoot around with Spider-Man. Maybe they'll do rebooted MCU X-men in 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's all accurate except the rumors are that New Mutants is under some sort-of contractual obligation to be released to theaters.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

mind the walrus posted:

That's all accurate except the rumors are that New Mutants is under some sort-of contractual obligation to be released to theaters.

There's no way they're gonna pay for the reshoots now. If it gets into theaters it's gonna be one of those things where it plays in a theater in Ohio for a week

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Got to feel bad for the GoT girls-- both get scooped by Fox and dumped into Marvel movies no one wants to see right as their TV cash cow dies.

Now content:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

PZ Myers got death threats for "desecrating" an unconsecrated communion wafer. It was unconsecrated. Death threats. Catholics take their lovely crackers really seriously.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Since there's nothing special about the wafers themselves, why don't they use something that tastes better? Like white chocolate and macadamia nut cookies. It would still be the body of christ

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Gripweed posted:

Since there's nothing special about the wafers themselves, why don't they use something that tastes better? Like white chocolate and macadamia nut cookies. It would still be the body of christ

Would probably help get those millennial asses in the pews if there was fresh baked cookie smell wafting out of the church

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Snowy posted:

Would probably help get those millennial asses in the pews if there was fresh baked cookie smell wafting out of the church

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5EcbH1FJ1s , but baked goods instead of music

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Since only old people still go to church and their taste buds don't work anymore, it makes sense to use the wafers

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bertrand Hustle posted:

PZ Myers got death threats for "desecrating" an unconsecrated communion wafer. It was unconsecrated. Death threats. Catholics take their lovely crackers really seriously.

I though he got several consecrated wafers smuggled to him by churchgoers, and that he pierced one of those with a rusty nail, along with also piercing some Quran pages and some pages from The God Delusion?

Still, Catholics are profoundly loving crazy about their lovely crackers.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Catholics in general are loving crazy. No serious disrespect meant for what you believe, but y'all need to understand that from the outside looking in you look like loving nutbars. The "Catholic guilt" thing in-particular is :psyduck:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Catholicism is a weirdo cult that somehow convinced the general public that its a normal brand of Christianity.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Catholics are just protestants playing an absolutely massive larp of Vampire the masquerade

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Reynold posted:

At least look up some guides and youtube videos or some poo poo before you start causing irreparable harm to everything you own.

Causing irreparable harm is kind of the boomer's "thing," though.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Moon Slayer posted:

Causing irreparable harm is kind of the boomer's "thing," though.

:emptyquote:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Catholics are just protestants playing an absolutely massive larp of Vampire the masquerade

Protestants are absolutely the last people who should be calling Catholics crazy, at least the latter don't actually believe what's in the Bible

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gripweed posted:

In Roman Catholicism, it can only be unleavened bread, because this is what Jesus and Apostles had at their Pesach supper. In Orthodox churches and in Greek Catholicism, leavened bread is used, as it's the type of bread that was sacrificed in the Temple according to the Old Testament. So you can't licitly consecrate a cookie in any church where it is believed that bread becomes in one way or another the true body of Christ.

There are other churches with different teachings on the Eucharist, and some of them are more lax in what type of bread they use in their services (e.g., cornbread), but I'm not aware of a single one where anything but bread would be used, as even in churches that see the ritual as purely symbolic, it would completely break the symbolism of it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Paladinus posted:

In Roman Catholicism, it can only be unleavened bread, because this is what Jesus and Apostles had at their Pesach supper. In Orthodox churches and in Greek Catholicism, leavened bread is used, as it's the type of bread that was sacrificed in the Temple according to the Old Testament. So you can't licitly consecrate a cookie in any church where it is believed that bread becomes in one way or another the true body of Christ.

There are other churches with different teachings on the Eucharist, and some of them are more lax in what type of bread they use in their services (e.g., cornbread), but I'm not aware of a single one where anything but bread would be used, as even in churches that see the ritual as purely symbolic, it would completely break the symbolism of it.

So cheesy bread would work?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

But there are also churches where they throw snakes around and yell gibberish at each other while faking a seizure, so really you can probably justify anything if you want to.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

But there are also churches where they throw snakes around and yell gibberish at each other while faking a seizure, so really you can probably justify anything if you want to.

Don't forget creationism

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

mind the walrus posted:

Catholics in general are loving crazy. No serious disrespect meant for what you believe, but y'all need to understand that from the outside looking in you look like loving nutbars. The "Catholic guilt" thing in-particular is :psyduck:

Having at one point been on the inside, your perception isn't wrong. There's a reason "recovered Catholic" is an expression people use.

I recovered from Catholicism so hard that I'm a Satanist now*

* not really, not in the religious sense of actually believing in and worshiping a supernatural devil, but the Satanic Temple is extremely my poo poo because:

quote:

The mission of The Satanic Temple is to encourage benevolence and empathy among all people, reject tyrannical authority, advocate practical common sense and justice, and be directed by the human conscience to undertake noble pursuits guided by the individual will. Politically aware, Civic-minded Satanists and allies in The Satanic Temple have publicly opposed The Westboro Baptist Church, advocated on behalf of children in public school to abolish corporal punishment, applied for equal representation where religious monuments are placed on public property, provided religious exemption and legal protection against laws that unscientifically restrict women's reproductive autonomy, exposed fraudulent harmful pseudo-scientific practitioners and claims in mental health care, and applied to hold clubs alongside other religious after school clubs in schools besieged by proselytizing organizations.

Basically they advocate for social justice and the betterment of society while trolling the poo poo out of humorless conservatives.

It owns.

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 18:03 on Jun 9, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Paladinus posted:

So you’re saying I could legitimately hold Mass with cornbread muffins.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Cornbread muffins and toilet wine, praise the lord!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hear me out here: consecrated avocado toast

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Now that will get those millennials back in those churches

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

chitoryu12 posted:

So you’re saying I could legitimately hold Mass with cornbread muffins.

No.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Muffins are too enjoyable for Catholics

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

And Jesus took the banana bread, and after giving thanks he baked it

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The whole point is that you and other parishioners get to have tea with biscuits or cake AFTER the Mass. That's also where you discuss Game of Thrones and whether references to it were appropriate in the sermon.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Paladinus posted:

The whole point is that you and other parishioners get to have tea with biscuits or cake AFTER the Mass. That's also where you discuss Game of Thrones and whether references to it were appropriate in the sermon.

Weird, someone who actually grew up Catholic, but not psycho tradcath

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Reynold posted:

Getting some DIY projects moving is one thing, but trying to get professional results doing important renovation work by just fumbling around in the dark is stupid. At least look up some guides and youtube videos or some poo poo before you start causing irreparable harm to everything you own.

And the thing is, there are a lot of professional guys on youtube and in forums giving away their knowledge for free. Some of them have links to "coffee funds" so you can throw a few bucks their way as a thank you over PayPal or whatever.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Moon Slayer posted:

Yeah you're getting into pentecostal there, totally different ball of wax than catholics. More glossolalia than snake handling though, I think that might be on the wane.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

mind the walrus posted:

Don't forget that there are Catholics so reactionary that they believe that the last few Popes are illegitimate

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Cradle Catholics are a very different beast from Tradcaths, who are usually adult converts and, like all adult converts of any religion, are loving nuts.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

My ultra Catholic grand father would self flagellate.

Another Catholic I knew ended up with a divorce because he used to leave his wife, not tell her where he was going, and fly down to ultra conservative Catholic retreats in the mountains. But now that I type that out maybe that's a cute way of saying tinder/grinder

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Self flagellate" sure sounds like a euphemism too tbh.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Listen if you transubstantiate something that leaves crumbs you’re gonna have bits of the son of God all over your chapel. That’s hella rude, no two ways about it. Gonna leave the body of Jesus to get moldy in the piles of your carpet, smdh.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Listen if you transubstantiate something that leaves crumbs you’re gonna have bits of the son of God all over your chapel. That’s hella rude, no two ways about it. Gonna leave the body of Jesus to get moldy in the piles of your carpet, smdh.

Transubstantiate the Lord into hot dogs

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Eat these oysters, for they are my kneecaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

We will now pass the Holy Charcuterie Board, made from a piece of the True Cross