Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Bethesda does that frequently, only by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's really only funny when it is by accident.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I think some missions in Saints Row IV used that conceit. You fought off waves of T-posing mascots riding golf carts.

God, that game was dumb.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Yeah it was great

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Stare-Out posted:

Bethesda does that frequently, only by accident.

Lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bony tony posted:

I think some missions in Saints Row IV used that conceit. You fought off waves of T-posing mascots riding golf carts.

God, that game was dumb.

It was meta-clever because the premise of the game is that the chaos you're creating is overloading the alien Matrix. So if a fight went on for too long and got too intense the alien graphics algorithms would start to break and intentional T-poses would show up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, but it also wasn't really very funny, exactly because it was trying to be way too meta and clever about it. It's a game breaking in creative and unplanned ways that makes it humorous.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

you sound fun

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

:shrug: It's like a man calmly walking onto a stage, putting down a banana peel, and then stepping on it and slipping before walking back off the stage. If you think people should laugh at that, you don't understand what a joke is.

I don't think it's a bad game, it was a very fun game. The glitch animations just weren't funny.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

By which I mean Bethesda can only succeed in something by accident.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

:shrug: It's like a man calmly walking onto a stage, putting down a banana peel, and then stepping on it and slipping before walking back off the stage. If you think people should laugh at that, you don't understand what a joke is.

I don't think it's a bad game, it was a very fun game. The glitch animations just weren't funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRTj6SDaqKQ

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Cardiovorax posted:

lol

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Cardiovorax posted:

Actors in comedy movies are just actors. What they're doing and saying is all scripted, not real conversations or actions. Not sure why people think it's funny, everyone in the scene knows the lines beforehand.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
The thing that makes the SRIV glitchiness work, to me, is that the game itself never calls attention to it. It happens, it's intentional, to a degree it's unmissable, but the game never forces it center-stage.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cleretic posted:

The thing that makes the SRIV glitchiness work, to me, is that the game itself never calls attention to it. It happens, it's intentional, to a degree it's unmissable, but the game never forces it center-stage.
There's some activities where it's like "this place is glitchy, go cause havoc and make it glitchier", and everybody who shows up to fight is all hosed up somehow, but it's not "camera zooms in on t-posing model with Big Head Mode on while somebody yells about how wacky it is" yeah.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cardiovorax posted:

Lmao

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I don’t even think the glitchy effects were supposed to be funny.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

as long as we're talking about this: whoever wrote the ascii shader in R4 deserves a medal. I understand exactly what that is, how it works technically, but it's still jawdropping to me

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Ariong posted:

I don’t even think the glitchy effects were supposed to be funny.

Yeah, I got a bit more of a "oh god our old games were poo poo lol" vibe from the broken skeletons, invisible weapons / vehicles, and huge eyeballs

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
speaking of relevant things that aren't boring like dissecting jokes, the freezer from SR2 is an interesting glitch if true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP03CcZWaI4

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Extremely uncertain as to the mechanism by which discs are being damaged by a software event.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

ArcMage posted:

Extremely uncertain as to the mechanism by which discs are being damaged by a software event.

from looking around about it cause it does sound fake as poo poo, that part does sound exaggerated/fake unless it causes your xbox 360 to start melting, but the rest is plausible

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

ArcMage posted:

Early model 360s were notorious for scratching the poo poo out of discs that were spinning too fast, particularly if the console wasn't laying down completely flat. There's still an ongoing class action lawsuit about it. I can totally believe that a glitch in a game made the drive spin like crazy.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's entirely possible. The game gets stuck a read loop, spins up the drive, and then just keeps spinning. A particularly bad glitch could even make the read head zip back and forth on sector search continuously, which wouldn't add to the damage (unless the drive is spectacularly hosed) but would definitely shorten the lifetime of the device.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
You could reliably gash a 360 disc by rotating from flat to vertical quickly while the machine was on

As an aside, my 360s had a glitch where I only ever bought one, but yet currently have 6 red ringed 360s that have appeared over the years

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

You could reliably gash a 360 disc by rotating from flat to vertical quickly while the machine was on
To be fair, that would probably work on anything.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
That sounds like a creepy pasta

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Cardiovorax posted:

The better joke, which did start as a glitch or dev oversight, was the chase scene fleeing the bondage sex club in Saints Row III. You rescue a guy being held captive in a sex dungeon and proceed outside, where you commandeer the nearest vehicle: a rickshaw pulled by a sex slave in a gimp suit. Several BDSM-outfit clad goons pile into their own rickshaws and you proceed to have an extremely low-speed chase.

When the developers created the rickshaws, they made them just as another vehicle in the game's engine, so the game treats them like a very low-speed car. Meaning a wooden rickshaw pulled by a ballgagged man in a leather outfit violently explodes into a fireball when destroyed. The developers thought it was hilarious so they left it in.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

This reminds of the story about how Boar Drifting got included in Nier. Now that's the kind of thing that makes me laugh. :haw:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Wild T posted:

When the developers created the rickshaws, they made them just as another vehicle in the game's engine, so the game treats them like a very low-speed car. Meaning a wooden rickshaw pulled by a ballgagged man in a leather outfit violently explodes into a fireball when destroyed. The developers thought it was hilarious so they left it in.

Really, more games should take the Goldeneye approach to property destruction. Everything explodes. Even filing cabinets and desk chairs.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

This reminds of the story about how Boar Drifting got included in Nier. Now that's the kind of thing that makes me laugh. :haw:

I googled a tiny bit but how bout you make us laugh by linking the story, I didn;t find it in a lazy search other than lots of gifs and references.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

NLJP posted:

I googled a tiny bit but how bout you make us laugh by linking the story, I didn;t find it in a lazy search other than lots of gifs and references.
It's a fairly simple story, really. Early on in the development of Nier, the decision to add ridable animals was made. The process for developing the controls and physics of riding a five-ton hogger was a bit more difficult than expected. At one point, an engine programmer noticed that he had entered the wrong values for determining the inertia of the boar when taking turns and, as a result, found that he could turn the boar sideways and drift it right through enemies. Eventually, Taro Yoko heard about this by way of the watercooler grapevine and liked the idea so much that he ordered the programmer to keep in the game, which he did.

And that's why both Nier titles allow you play Tokyo Drift with giant boars (and moose.) It actually does massive amounts of damage, by the way. Pretty fun.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

someone posted a demonstration video on their stack overflow question asking how to add joint constraints https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZvdZGUxbbc

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
rigging is the shittiest part of animation and after you do it for long enough you can never not over analyze how people walk ever again

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This is also why studios will develop one rig and associated animations and use it for everything they possibly can, with the side benefit of making easy character swap hacks/easter eggs possible.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

moist turtleneck posted:

rigging is the shittiest part of animation and after you do it for long enough you can never not over analyze how people walk ever again

My first rigging project was is Cinema 4d and in high school in 2004.

I tried to make characters BREAKDANCE.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Hey, SPECIAL is a perfectly adequate stat system... for a turn-based, top-down isometric RPG.

*Plays Fallout 1*
*Stands there for ten minutes in the endgame exchanging fire with an enemy to no effect until someone rolls the "attacks ignore armour" crit and instantly liquefies the target*

Krankenstyle posted:

The inventory system is basically the same in FO1 which was strictly mouse+keyboard

And, in fairness, FO1's inventory UI was also pretty awful, and remained usable only by virtue of the fact that you couldn't pick up every random decorative item lying around.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

*Plays Fallout 1*
*Stands there for ten minutes in the endgame exchanging fire with an enemy to no effect until someone rolls the "attacks ignore armour" crit and instantly liquefies the target*
I've done attacks which did no damage, but rolled an instant kill crit in Fallout 1 and/or 2.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
One of these days I'm gonna do a gimmick Fallout playthrough where I only ever attack enemies' groin (when they have one, anyway). If the radiation doesn't render my enemies sterile, I will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

moist turtleneck posted:

I used to model, rig, and animate stuff. Made a humanoid with walk, run, jump, climb, crouch, turn, and turn-while-crouching animations. This involved an awful lot of very slowly acting out animations in my apartment so I could track where my body parts were and translate them into poses.

Animation is not something you do if you want to maintain a charade that you're a dignified person.