Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I've a friend who is both vegan and actually-for-real-allergic to a good amount of things so I keep a few extra pieces around to cook with when she's having dinner at my place.

Seems a logical extension of people asking for foil to be put on a grill before you make their veggies/allergy safe alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
At least where I am it’s fairly typical that a restaurant will have pans where no meat or dairy touches them, as stated before this is also for allergy reasons not just veganism

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yeah, I totally get that, I’m talking about brand new not-cooked-in kitchenware. I guess pre-seasoned pans could be a concern but that’s the only angle I can think of. I searched “vegan cookware” on google and only got info about how best to outfit a kitchen for vegan cooking, not about the cookware itself being vegan.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Yeah, only thing I can think of is pre-seasoned cast iron.

And yes, the woo is annoying as hell.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Which is why this thread is the vegan thread for vegan food, not the vegan thread for vegan woo and various assorted bullshit! Believe me when I say vegans are more fed up with vegan woo than non-vegans are, because it reflects badly on us and on veganism in general and because we get exposed to it more often.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
You find animal products (glue, in particular) in the most surprising places, so vegan cookware isn't an insane question an sich. "Lactose free" is clearly weirdo territory though

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Found a bag of whole red lentils. I'm not sure if it is unusual or not but I've only ever seen the split and shelled type.

I substituted the split for the whole in a masoor dahl last night and I am actually very surprised at how much flavour they have, very earthy. I'm not sure I prefer it in this, you get less spice and more lentil taste, but it's definitely something I'll keep in mind in the future.

Also you actually need to cook them properly, unlike the split ones. Also also they are actually red coloured when cooked, which shouldn't have surprised me as much as it did.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If you want to up your lentil game (especially hulled lentils, like red lentils), roast them in a dry pan over moderate flame until they smell toasty. Seriously a game changer.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

dino. posted:

If you want to up your lentil game (especially hulled lentils, like red lentils), roast them in a dry pan over moderate flame until they smell toasty. Seriously a game changer.

Do you just cook them normal with water after you toast them?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

So. I’m Indian, right? If I’m making any bean dish, it gets cooked in the way I want to have it when I eat it on rice. If it’s a lazy day, it gets cooked in water, and I throw a tarka on its head. Otherwise, it’s getting tarka and aromatics. Otherwise it’s getting a spot of turmeric , some salt, and then dump tarka on it.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

You can for sure!

imaginaryfriend
Sep 5, 2008
Ahhh. This thread is frustrating! Everything looks and sounds so good, but due to a tiny parasite developing in my uterus, I'm unable to eat anything besides plain toast and pretzels.

However it did inspire me to buy Dino's cookbook and dump some of my favorite recipes here until I can post something more constructive.

BBQ beans and greens (my favorite version of baked beans!)
https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/bbq-beans-greens/#gs.3xacqh
I use raisins instead of dates bc I hate dates and always have raisins on hand.

Veggie burger formula
https://engine2diet.com/blog/top-engine-2-recipes-plant-strong-burgers/
I love this recipe and have had great success with it. My favorite combos so far have been:
*black bean, oatmeal, red onion, corn, jalapeno, cumin, broth
*white beans, oatmeal, carrots, onions, mushrooms, italian seasoning, aquafaba.
I just use oatmeal bc I always have it. I bet it would be tastier with millet or farro or something.

I know the pizza talk was last year but hopefully someone will try this combo bc it's amazing.
Top your crust with basil-spinach pesto, artichoke hearts, broccoli, and green olives (whole ones sliced in half lengthwise).
https://hellolittlehome.com/green-pizza-with-pesto-feta-artichokes-broccoli/
This is not a vegan link but it's where I got the idea and has a good pesto recipe (sub nutrition yeast for parmesan or just leave out).

I know. I know. The fake food thing. Well, I'm saying these two recipes don't count. One might say they mimic dairy items (if they hate yummy food) or one could say they have taken on a life of their own and are just unfortunately named.

Vegan spinach and artichoke dip
https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/vegan-spinach-artichoke-dip/
This is amazing. Ignore that it uses an easy homemade melty cashew "cheese" and focus on dipping crusty bread and veggies into this yummy dip.

Engine 2 sour cream (or let's call it "tasty tofu sauce"; my kids call it "green cream")
1 pkg lite firm silken tofu
1/3 c unsweetened plant based milk
3 T lemon or lime juice
2 T chopped dill or cilantro
1 T nutritional yeast
Blend til smooth. Chill for an hour. Devour.
This stuff is to live for. The lemon dill version is a great dip or pasta sauce. The lime cilantro version is perfect on enchiladas (especially the ones below), nachos, or just tortilla chips.

Matt Moore's enchiladas
Serves 6-8
2 c mushrooms, sliced
4 c frozen spinach, thawed and drained
30 oz pkg frozen hash browns
2 T chili powder
2 t cumin
8 oz can diced green chilies
18 corn tortillas
45 oz enchilada sauce

Preheat oven to 425.
Saute the mushrooms and spinach over medium heat with a little water (or broth or oil, just to keep from sticking) until mushrooms are soft.
Drain the liquid and put the rest aside.
Cook the hash browns over high heat for 10 mins until lightly browned on both sides. (This takes me longer than 10 mins.)
Sprinkle with chili powder and cumin.
Add the potatoes and green chilies to the mushroom mix and gently combine.
Line the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper (or lightly coat with oil) and lay 6 tortillas on the bottom.
Place half the veg mix over tortillas and cover with 1/3 of sauce.
Repeat the process: 6 tortillas, rest of veg mix, 1/3 of sauce.
Top with the remaining 6 tortillas and 1/3 of sauce.
Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
Allow to sit for 15 minutes before serving.

Consider topping with shredded lettuce, sliced black olives, and E2 "sour cream". Maybe a bunch of pickled jalapenos too.

Enjoy!!!

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I’m gonna make that spinach dip I’ll let you know how it turns out

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Now I know somewhere you can buy a tin of pineapple slices in corn syrup and I just feel the void staring back at me.

imaginaryfriend
Sep 5, 2008

Zenithe posted:

Now I know somewhere you can buy a tin of pineapple slices in corn syrup and I just feel the void staring back at me.

Yeah, when canned fruit says "in syrup" or "in light syrup," that's what it means. You can get it at almost any grocery store in the US. Gotta find that 100% juice can that's hiding there somewhere.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Made masoor dal for the first time today after trying it in an Indian restaurant and loving it.

I always hated veggies when I was growing up, until I moved out of the country for work and discovered that what I actually hated was the way vegetable dishes were cooked back home. IMO, most Filipino vegetable dishes tend to overcook the poo poo out of the veg then add meat or fish sauce to hide the taste or make the person not feel deprived if it's served as the only accompaniment to rice.

Now, I will happily go meatless/vegan for stuff like dal or chana masala, and I don't feel deprived one bit. I completely understand Bourdain now when he spoke about enjoying veg in the Parts Unknown Punjab episode.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I've been super lazy and it's getting cold so I've been eating a lot of vege katsu curry.

3 parts flour, 1 part curry powder, 1 part garam masala, chilli as wanted. Stir into oil until a thick consistency the add caramelised onions and veges. Bam

Really good, probably needs some protein though.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Drop some mushrooms in that.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Anyone have any good recipes for rhubarb? I have two plants that are really poppin off, I probably took 5lbs today. You won't be able to tell in a week

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Endless crumble because rhubarb crumble owns all other crumble! Compote it to add to yoghurt and custard.

BBC has a few savoury applications here that sound interesting.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Bollock Monkey posted:

Endless crumble because rhubarb crumble owns all other crumble! Compote it to add to yoghurt and custard.

BBC has a few savoury applications here that sound interesting.
This is, for better or for worse, the vegan thread, so I am not sure that these suggestions are particularly apposite.

I'm not a big rhubarb fan so I don't have many recipes on hand, but here are some options:

https://www.rachaelray.com/recipes/rhubarb-and-rose-water-sorbet-with-rice-noodles-faloodeh/

https://cuesa.org/recipe/radish-rhubarb-and-strawberry-salad

https://www.redonline.co.uk/food/recipes/a517426/rhubarb-raspberry-and-cardamom-fridge-jam/

That second recipe (the salad) is what I often do with rhubarb, chard stems, and other similar things.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This is, for better or for worse, the vegan thread, so I am not sure that these suggestions are particularly apposite.

...Oops, I had many tabs open and thought I was posting in the general questions thread!

Alpro custard is still pretty legit, and dairy-free yoghurt too. The drinks and jams/chutneys still stand as well!

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Rhubarb kissel is what we always make.

http://nami-nami.blogspot.com/2009/05/rhubarb-fruit-soup-aka-rhubarb-kissel.html

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Some recent weekend meals since I've not posted in a while.

Chickpea and turmeric soup from here. Very, very lemony. And too many shallots on top, if such a thing is possible.

Spanish tortillas with a pipirrana salad. No idea how authentic this was, but it was surprisingly easy to make and wasn't the disaster I expected it to be. Anything that required flipping is normally right out but this firmed up enough that I trusted it to hold together and it just about did.

And this Japanese curry for dinner last night which came out with a really rich texture and just the right amount of heat. Turned out that I didn't have any garam masala in (or, more likely, it's at the back of the cupboard and I just couldn't see it) so I mixed something together from memory and added some black mustard seeds and yeah, it all worked quite well.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Major Ryan posted:

Some recent weekend meals since I've not posted in a while.

Chickpea and turmeric soup from here. Very, very lemony. And too many shallots on top, if such a thing is possible.

Spanish tortillas with a pipirrana salad. No idea how authentic this was, but it was surprisingly easy to make and wasn't the disaster I expected it to be. Anything that required flipping is normally right out but this firmed up enough that I trusted it to hold together and it just about did.

And this Japanese curry for dinner last night which came out with a really rich texture and just the right amount of heat. Turned out that I didn't have any garam masala in (or, more likely, it's at the back of the cupboard and I just couldn't see it) so I mixed something together from memory and added some black mustard seeds and yeah, it all worked quite well.

Thanks for sharing! These all look incredible. I have a hard time plating or making my vegan meals look good sometimes.. getting the taste down though at least. Gonna make all of those!

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Thanks for sharing! These all look incredible. I have a hard time plating or making my vegan meals look good sometimes.. getting the taste down though at least. Gonna make all of those!

Oh, I'm definitely in the make it taste good over make it look good camp. The joy of food in bowls is that making it look good is a lot easier than arranging everything nicely on a plate... That said, the more I cook, the easier it gets to make the food look presentable too.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Hello veganos (and veggies too I guess), I wonder if this is the best place to ask.

Is it possible to eat a high-protein, high-calorie vegan diet while also eating medium-low levels of fibre? I like to do exercise which means I need to keep up a high calorie and protein intake and I have been vegan in the past but that was before I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (a type of inflammatory bowel disease) which I know to be sensitive to fibre.

I'm not that big a person, so I'm talking about say 2,250 calories and around 70-100g protein per day.

Appreciate any advice given

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The DPRK posted:

Hello veganos (and veggies too I guess), I wonder if this is the best place to ask.

Is it possible to eat a high-protein, high-calorie vegan diet while also eating medium-low levels of fibre? I like to do exercise which means I need to keep up a high calorie and protein intake and I have been vegan in the past but that was before I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (a type of inflammatory bowel disease) which I know to be sensitive to fibre.

I'm not that big a person, so I'm talking about say 2,250 calories and around 70-100g protein per day.

Tofu (about 1g fiber per serving), and most vegan protein drinks should be safe, but I would double check on the latter. For calories, you're most likely going to want to up fat content in your diet. Olive oil and coconut oil are both pretty calorie heavy while having zero fiber. For vegetables, there are low fiber options, like carrots. However, that's low fiber for vegetables. There are similar fruits. You'll need to watch portion sizes, to keep within whatever your daily limit of fiber is. I should be doable, but require a lot of tracking.

If you're recently diagnosed, it might be worthwhile to get in to see a dietitian (not a nutritionist). They will be able to provide you with more resources on what fruits and vegetables are okay, and in what amounts, and more ideas for a feasible diet for what you're looking for.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

The DPRK posted:

Tofu and tempeh seem like good places to start. Extremely versatile ingredients. And you can always add plenty to them to up the calories.

I try to cook exclusively vegetarian on weekdays, and any foods that are high in fiber will bother my wife’s gut. It’s tough cooking without beans, broccoli, and bell peppers, but eventually you find substitutions that work for you. Trial and error.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Seitan has very low fibre and lots of protein.

Avocados are good for calories with little fibre, although very little protein.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Nice one. Thank you for the replies folks!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I always get intimidated by Bryant Terry recipes due to the fact they use a lot more ingredients than I normally would use, and often require a lot of "work" but drat if everything I've ever tried hasn't been great.

Today's kitchen apocalypse brought to you by Black Eyed Pea and Tomato Stew:

Stew up some onion, celery, garlic and homemade Cajun spice

Add tomatoes and stew it down, then add the beans

And then eat it with fresh basil and the absolute MVP of this meal, pan cooked dukkha cornbread. I'm guessing it doesn't normally look like this.

The recipe asked for Kombu some kind of seaweed to be used as stock with the beans but I have no idea what it tastes like and couldn't find any.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zenithe posted:

The recipe asked for Kombu some kind of seaweed to be used as stock with the beans but I have no idea what it tastes like and couldn't find any.
Tastes like MSG. Asian stores will have it, usually.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Tastes like MSG. Asian stores will have it, usually.

It has a light hint of the ocean too. Not super strong, and as long as you don't use more than you need you won't notice that.

Cooks Illustrated seems to think Kombu also improves texture of dried beans as well. They say it makes them more tender when you soak beans with it/cook them with it. I haven't tested it either way so I have no idea how accurate that is.

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt

Eeyo posted:

It has a light hint of the ocean too. Not super strong, and as long as you don't use more than you need you won't notice that.

Cooks Illustrated seems to think Kombu also improves texture of dried beans as well. They say it makes them more tender when you soak beans with it/cook them with it. I haven't tested it either way so I have no idea how accurate that is.

It’s true that it makes beans more digestible. Epazote is like this as well. They have some kind of enzyme.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
I've been missing food from the South, so I've been making a bunch of stuff from Afro-Vegan lately; I made a variant on his skillet cornbread with blueberries mixed in instead of dukkah which turned out great, and put together a batch of his Peach-Pomegranate Molasses barbecue sauce for the 4th which I've been spooning onto all sorts of fried/fatty things. It's delicous and tangy. I still have a bunch of the sauce left and I thought I'd get ideas for what to do with it. I think I'd like to try to make barbecue jackfruit or mix it into beans, but anyone have creative ideas for using it?

I really need to go grab Vegan Soul Kitchen next, and then maybe Mississippi Vegan and Teff Love.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You could make some baked beans with the molasses. Teff Love is wonderful, can't recommend it enough. Another good Ethiopian cookbook is The Lotus and the Artichoke Ethiopia.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Are there any reasonable substitutes for teff? I've never been able to find any.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
...in what recipe? It depends what you're making.

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt

Zenithe posted:

Are there any reasonable substitutes for teff? I've never been able to find any.

My local Indian grocery carries it for cheap. It’s on amazon though pricy. Whole Foods would definitely have it. There is no Teff substitute, really. Finger millet is the closest I can guess but it’s no ersatz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
So, I bought a big block of condensed tamarind pulp from the Thai grocery store nearby the other day on impulse and I don't know what to do with it, as I've never used tamarind in cooking before. My plan is to prepare it per this article from SheSimmers, but I'd love some different ideas for what to use it in. My thought was to delve into Thai cooking, but I'm not sure how to veganize the usual sauces and so on since they tend to have fish products in them. In a related note, good vegan Thai curry pastes have been hard to come by — do you Thai-food cooks make your own, or have a source?