Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Wim J. Quax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Cortlynn

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Huh, I didn't know Disney owned Blizzard now :v:

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Watching a house-hunting show (Log Cabin Living) and the current couple is in search of an $800,000 "weekend getaway cabin" with separate rooms for each of their daughters, Cicada and Teeranny.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

wheatpuppy posted:

Watching a house-hunting show (Log Cabin Living) and the current couple is in search of an $800,000 "weekend getaway cabin" with separate rooms for each of their daughters, Cicada and Teeranny.

I'm a realtor and holy lol I love shows like this

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Did they gave their daughters names or secret paramilitary team codenames?

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Some local talent, knew this family from working at a Golf Course as a kid.
https://www.kirbycox.com/
Now Kirby is an awesome name, however the Father was Richard Cox and his brother is Harold Cox. (I may be mixing up the two but this is true.) Just funny names, remember them as nice people.

On a real estate sidetrack, saw these guy's sign while out for a run
http://www.ballbrothersyyc.com/

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Asherland

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Highschool with Richard Grabar.

Lucky he was "Rich" for short.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

rodbeard posted:

Ulysees O. Wingo

getting american football player vibes from this one

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Reddit thread with many delightful and horrifying names: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/bv16i5/what_are_some_baby_names_you_have_heard_that_you/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

He's the neighbors with the turkey-stealing dogs in A Christmas Story

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The voice actor for Squidward is Rodger Bumpass

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
schnelle

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

ah, son of Vati and Mutti

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Not even slightly strange in Europe, it just means fast/quick in German.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Just took a report from an Essence Fleeks. I didn't even know that was a real last name.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Zudgemud posted:

Not even slightly strange in Europe, it just means fast/quick in German.

I really hope Schnelle is a girl, otherwise their son is going to end up with a real complex.

(Also, the fact that it's a German adjective doesn't at all make it an acceptable name. It's like naming your kid Speedy or Flash.)

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Lady Disdain posted:

I really hope Schnelle is a girl, otherwise their son is going to end up with a real complex.

(Also, the fact that it's a German adjective doesn't at all make it an acceptable name. It's like naming your kid Speedy or Flash.)

It's decently common in Sweden to have family names like that, usually it's old military families where random peasant names were replaced by an adjective that described the soldier. In Sweden alone we have at least three family names that all mean basically the same thing as that German name (basically variants of quick, fast, lightning). I boldly assume this tradition was also occurring in the German lands seeing as they were a huge influence on scandinavia and their military traditions.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Zudgemud posted:

It's decently common in Sweden to have family names like that, usually it's old military families where random peasant names were replaced by an adjective that described the soldier. In Sweden alone we have at least three family names that all mean basically the same thing as that German name (basically variants of quick, fast, lightning). I boldly assume this tradition was also occurring in the German lands seeing as they were a huge influence on scandinavia and their military traditions.

We have names like this in English (Quick, Speedman, etc.), although I doubt the origin is the same.
But there are some surnames that are acceptable(-ish) when they become first names (see Kelly, MacKenzie, Warren, etc.). Adjectives do not fall into that list.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Flash and Speedy are both names already.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Chuck Tucker, not terrible I just found it somewhat amusing.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Aphrodite posted:

Flash and Speedy are both names already.

Comic book names. That doesn't make them acceptable.

Zampano
Jun 23, 2010

Shut. The. Fuck. Up.
I played hockey recently against a guy named Jimbob Ghostkeeper.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

Jimbob Ghostkeeper won 2018 Name of the Year.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Zudgemud posted:

It didn't, since the Swedish tradition you're talking about dates from the early 17th century. During this time Sweden conscripted, the German lands did not, and the Swedish army issued family names to people who didn't come with one.

Until the rise of Brandenburg-Prussia the influence is more likely to go from Sweden to everyone else, not from the German lands to Sweden.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I just took my followup question to the military history thread instead.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

people have got to just stop

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

More curious about the vomit clock myself.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

feast your eyes

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Zeppelin's pretty chunky too. That name is just pure bully ammunition and I feel sorry for the kid.

Seen recently:

Jazzman Woodie (pronounced "Jasmine")

Darry Note

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Dr. Hang Wang

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Rollersnake posted:

Zeppelin's pretty chunky too. That name is just pure bully ammunition and I feel sorry for the kid.

yeah, that's why I blanked out his face; his parents did him a cruelty and he's young enough to still be hurt by lazy, cheap shots. I hope it doesn't take long for him to either (a) assert enough agency to insist on being called something else or (b) get enough confidence to own that absurd moniker, but given that he's living under the thumb of at least one weird Facebook Participant who gave him that name in the first place, I'm not optimistic.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Aphrodite posted:

I feel like this is a sentence that has never before been written.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Bertrand Hustle posted:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

"My vomit dick necklace, full of dead bees." [proceeds to describe how the bees were ethically sourced]

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Gtfo with your barf gewgaws and post names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I'm kind of envious, honestly.