Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Robokomodo posted:

All the drat time.

I also read that if you post something that might be wrong, you’ll get 400 people with the “correct” answer. So, problem solved.

Thanks guys!

I hope you’re low on the spectrum.

You're an rear end in a top hat. Go be an rear end in a top hat somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Leavemywife posted:

I never thought about it being that he'd be "above" the queen. I just figured, hey, you marry a queen, you're now a king.

It has to do with how kings happened in the first place, really. It goes back a long, long way. After the Roman Empire started fragmenting things became pretty unruly so you had various war bands and warlords and what have you that ran around conquering things. These would pretty much always be men and groups of men; the kingdom would be considered the personal property of the king and he held that title pretty much exclusively by force. That was obviously a lovely way to organize things and led to kingdoms fragmenting when the king died thanks to things like power struggles or the expectation that the kingdom, as his personal property, would be divvied up among his sons. That was the source of a lot of the power struggles, of course; if you have six sons then chances are each of them would decide they deserved more/all of the kingdom. So you got things like "no, the eldest son gets it all."

But what if the king doesn't have a son? So you got rules of succession laws coming up in place but...wait gently caress what if there are no possible living male relatives? Until that started to happen the queen was generally just the king's wife so it was her children that became the next rulers. Now, this is extremely important; it was HER children that became rulers. Kings had a bit of a habit of loving around historically. Depending on the era he could have concubines but if he couldn't he probably had mistresses or visited prostitutes from time to time. I mean, are you going to tell him not to? He's the king. This is why legitimacy of lineage became a huge deal; if you were the child of a king and a prostitute you weren't considered a royal unless you took that by force. Even then other royalty would tend to look down on you because you weren't the child of a queen. The titles ultimately got handed down matrilineally given that they went to legitimate children, typically. There are exceptions to that because history is messy but that's generally how things were set up.

Think about what happens if a queen gets the throne and the crown but then marries a foreign king. If he gets status above her then you just created a motivation for the queen to have a very unfortunate accident so he can just kind of take over. If that isn't there and he just gets kicked to the curb because he isn't in line for succession/above her then that's less of an issue.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

If I wanted to buy some prints of old posters (travel posters, WPA posters, etc.) what's a good way to make sure the print I actually get is high quality without seeing it in person? Anyone have a recommendation for a good place to buy them online?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Is there a thread on SA about Excel? I can't figure out how to do something and I also can't figure out the right terms to Google and goons are usually surprisingly helpful about my dumb technology issues.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tendai posted:

Is there a thread on SA about Excel? I can't figure out how to do something and I also can't figure out the right terms to Google and goons are usually surprisingly helpful about my dumb technology issues.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3132163

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Apologies, guys. I was in a bad mood and I took it out on people that didn’t deserve it.

I will keep my attitude in check.

I love you guys and you’ve always been more than helpful.

Robokomodo fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 8, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Robokomodo posted:

All the drat time.

I also read that if you post something that might be wrong, you’ll get 400 people with the “correct” answer. So, problem solved.

Thanks guys!

I hope you’re low on the spectrum.

I'm a former paramedic which unfortunately gives you experience with this kind of thing. You were simply so 100% wrong on the issue that no further explanation was required for posters to understand how things really work.

Nice meltdown.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Greyhounds thread! - It's mostly great pictures of ridiculous dogs, you should look at them.

Same deal with the Bird Crazies thread - there are some sad stories in there, but it's mostly a bunch of people loving their pets.

This really cheered me up, thank you!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Motronic posted:

I'm a former paramedic which unfortunately gives you experience with this kind of thing. You were simply so 100% wrong on the issue that no further explanation was required for posters to understand how things really work.

Nice meltdown.

But if anybody wants here’s a study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2902109/

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I want to benefit from the oils in garlic and therefore eat 3 garlic cloves a day in the morning. This is hardly bearable but gets much easier with fat (milk/cheese/butter). I read that fat neutralises garlic. Stupid question: Does it only neutralize the smell, the burning or actually the effect I am after as well? Thank you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I have questions.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I want to benefit from the oils in garlic and therefore eat 3 garlic cloves a day in the morning. This is hardly bearable but gets much easier with fat (milk/cheese/butter). I read that fat neutralises garlic. Stupid question: Does it only neutralize the smell, the burning or actually the effect I am after as well? Thank you.

You know that vampires aren't actually real, right?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

There is no effect in the first place that you can't get from the oils in regular food. So it's fine to just use a lot of garlic in your food if you like garlic flavor

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

also the "fat neutralizes garlic" thing refers specifically to the smell of it on your breath (and it doesnt really work that well anyway)

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Are vehicles like tour buses and stretch hummers that people tend to not wear seat belts while riding in safer in an accident because of their huge mass or something or is that just a risk people are willing to take?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I think it's more just where they are and what they're doing. A limo or tour bus or stretch hummer is going to an event, giving a tour, or being driven to be seen in. You may take a highway but for the most part you're cruising downtown Vegas or nyc or wherever ski if the is an accident its at a much lower speed typically. Plus the driver wants to keep their job so they are 400% focused on safe driving because the gps beacon tells their boss what they do with that car 24/7.

Ive also noticed that with the gps van i drive people do stupid things around you that wont affect you more than they do stupid things involving you. They're more likely to rear end someone else because they're taking a picture of you than they are to hit you. I see people over take me at about 20-30 mph then slam on their brakes so i pass them again so they can get their phone out for a picture. That being said people cut me off alll the time at horrendously more unsafe distances than with my personal car because "gently caress them its a work car they have to avoid me or it's their job"

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Human Tornada posted:

Are vehicles like tour buses and stretch hummers that people tend to not wear seat belts while riding in safer in an accident because of their huge mass or something or is that just a risk people are willing to take?

You can scratch "safer" off the list:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/07/nyregion/wedding-limo-crash-schoharie-ny.html

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Stravag posted:

You may take a highway but for the most part you're cruising downtown Vegas or nyc or wherever ski if the is an accident its at a much lower speed typically.

nope tour busses go on a lot of dangerous roads in a lot of places and accidents involving a bunch of fatalities are not uncommon at all

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Why do people obscure their license plates when taking pictures of their cars to sell, or whatever? The license plate is on public display, anyway. :confused:

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

credburn posted:

Why do people obscure their license plates when taking pictures of their cars to sell, or whatever? The license plate is on public display, anyway. :confused:

They've seen it done on the news or for celebrities or whatever and think that's what you're supposed to do. They see it as not giving out personal information.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I requested extension on jury duty and I believe the date is coming up. But I haven't gotten a letter in the mail yet, do you not get a second letter for your jury duty in California?

E: No, they do not. Quite the surprise when I used my old letter to find out I'm expected this tuesday

Leal fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 9, 2019

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

what kind of bone is this

or shell, it was found on the beach

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
It looks like a fish vertebra. What size is it?

M Condriano
Mar 22, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
That's definitely a vertebra, it looks the same as the ones you see in canned salmon. Dunno what kind of fish though, could be anything that fits the size I imagine.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

AlbieQuirky posted:

It looks like a fish vertebra. What size is it?

its like about a quarter around in that center part. That center area is so smooth, its amazing

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm currently having an argument with my gf about how ground beef should be well done. She thinks medium is sufficient, I tried to show her links about how it should be cooked fully. Did something change from when I was growing up and ground beef doesn't need to be cooked fully?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
There was an e. coli outbreak in 1993 (I think?) that caused a big scare that made people think you had to cook it all the way through. As long as it has reached a sufficient internal temperature, that bacteria will have been killed off.

Memento fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 10, 2019

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I'm currently having an argument with my gf about how ground beef should be well done. She thinks medium is sufficient, I tried to show her links about how it should be cooked fully. Did something change from when I was growing up and ground beef doesn't need to be cooked fully?
Eh, it's all about risk management, medium ground beef is more risky than medium steaks, but the change in risk is relatively small compared to a lot of things. Likely you two are just seeking different sorts of risk strategy, and you should either find an accommodation or agree to cook ground beef in two batches.
edit:
Presuming you aren't doing a sous vide of ground beef.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

You can also buy irradiated ground beef for no worries rare burgers.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

twodot posted:

Eh, it's all about risk management, medium ground beef is more risky than medium steaks, but the change in risk is relatively small compared to a lot of things. Likely you two are just seeking different sorts of risk strategy, and you should either find an accommodation or agree to cook ground beef in two batches.
edit:
Presuming you aren't doing a sous vide of ground beef.

Nah, just grilling burgers. I'll just request she leave mine on longer

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I work in the meat industry (software side, but I know about some of the other aspects). Ground beef goes into "combos" which are big containers that hold around 2000lbs. To test for salmonella/e.coli, they take a couple of small core samples out of it and that's it. My boss told me that's the reason he has his well done. I still get mine medium, so :shrug:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Using thin patties for your burgers is a great way to be sure you get safe inner temperature without leaving the outside of the patty a burnt up mess.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
If you're scared of meat poisoning you, don't eat meat. Just know that if you touch a meat (or a lettuce, sprout, tomato, or basically any product produced in the modern food system) you take your life into your own hands.

But drat isn't a burger good.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Nah, just grilling burgers. I'll just request she leave mine on longer

Learn to make smashburgers. Well done but still juicy. And more delicious than any other burg because of the amount of crust you get.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Just lol if you aren't eating some of it raw while making them just like cake batter

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I have a Liva micro pc with a Celeron N2807. It struggles to play Netflix or Plex when I use my indoor bike trainer program. Would something with a G4400T be enough of a bump up to suffice? I need something small to sit on the cycling desk I have.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I have a Liva micro pc with a Celeron N2807. It struggles to play Netflix or Plex when I use my indoor bike trainer program. Would something with a G4400T be enough of a bump up to suffice? I need something small to sit on the cycling desk I have.

It sounds like a tablet would be better, why not an iPad or android tablet of some sort?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tuyop posted:

It sounds like a tablet would be better, why not an iPad or android tablet of some sort?

I have a big monitor already and I need a K/M to use everything effectively.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

nesbit37 posted:

Does anyone know of any free booking scheduler web apps that are alternates to a site like youcanbook.me? I only need this functionality for about 12 days a year so it makes no sense to pay their $10 a month rate to use it, but I'm not seeing much else that doesn't have a cost associated with it.

Setmore or Appointlet should serve you well.

More options listed at https://zapier.com/blog/best-appointment-scheduling-apps/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Why do I see so many people shouting into the bottom of their phones lately? It seems to have been on the rise over the last three or four months, but I happened to see it several times today.

Is it some particular brand of phone that has a bad microphone?