Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Do it ironically posted:

go vegan friends

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

You better sheath that edge you might cut yourself swinging it around :)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Do it ironically posted:

You better sheath that edge you might cut yourself swinging it around :)

User loses posting privileges for 3 days.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Lmao looking up user post history how pathetic. I still stand by my statement, it was immoral for him to take Saudi blood money and go there, especially given his religion

As it turns out, he concussed himself then knocked himself out, and taker dropped him on his head, I hope the money was worth it to him :shrug:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
This dude is super mad about.... *checks rap sheet* Pro Wrestling? What the gently caress?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Julius CSAR posted:

This dude is super mad about.... *checks rap sheet* Pro Wrestling? What the gently caress?

Would a cow being executed via a high-performance wrestling move be more or less humane than the slaughterhouse conditions in the OP?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

EorayMel posted:

Would a cow being executed via a high-performance wrestling move be more or less humane than the slaughterhouse conditions in the OP?

Is it a cage match?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Julius CSAR posted:

Is it a cage match?

A hell in a cell.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
*supplexes a cow into a meat grinder*

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Feel free to return to the topic.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

I'm against beating up animals, personally.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

DamnitGannet posted:

harsh, but fair

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

DamnitGannet posted:

What if the animal started it?

Like let's say it's not delicious or a baby cow.
Or maybe it's a LITTLE delicious and or fairly young but the animal CLEARLY started the fight and you are not putting up with that poo poo again.

Woden
May 6, 2006
The slaughterhouse near me has calming music and poo poo to try and keep the cows super chill before their demise.

They taste really good too so it probably works.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
What if they still beat up the baby animals, but it was only for, say, an hour a day? Like you could just go ham and wail on 'em as much as you wanted, but for the rest of the day you have to be super duper nice to them and give them cuddles and snacks?

Not a perfect solution, but it's something!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

DamnitGannet posted:

It's called tenderizing.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mr. Bones posted:

What if they still beat up the baby animals, but it was only for, say, an hour a day? Like you could just go ham and wail on 'em as much as you wanted, but for the rest of the day you have to be super duper nice to them and give them cuddles and snacks?

Not a perfect solution, but it's something!

Only if you take the beatings for the other 23 hours.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

Burt Sexual posted:

Only if you take the beatings for the other 23 hours.

Sounds great to me!

There, see what happens when we all work together and compromise? Everybody wins!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I built one of these once but it was like a massive toilet where I could flush the cows into a pitfall trap to cull them and harvest all the beef/leather

e: then I built one for villagers

https://i.imgur.com/JhEQBZx.mp4

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
Which is worse, brutalising the animal, or killing it?

Would it be better to brutalise it and leave it alive, or kill it without brutalising it at all?
Would you rather be dead and clean, or alive with crippled legs?

Surely killing the brutalised animal makes it's day worse and not better?

All animal farming is horrific both fundamentally and in practice, is what I'm getting at.
That this feels worse, is neither here nor there; the same feeling that differentiates killing a cow and a dog.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
*stunned calf, hanging from hooks through it's ankles, vomiting blood, exclusively because people find it's corpse pleasurable to consume, but also insist that the entire existence of the resource be cost-effective*

At least they didn't kick me on the way in!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

TheMaskedUgly posted:

Which is worse, brutalising the animal, or killing it?

Would it be better to brutalise it and leave it alive, or kill it without brutalising it at all?
Would you rather be dead and clean, or alive with crippled legs?

Surely killing the brutalised animal makes it's day worse and not better?

All animal farming is horrific both fundamentally and in practice, is what I'm getting at.
That this feels worse, is neither here nor there; the same feeling that differentiates killing a cow and a dog.

you're making a shitload of random assumptions here to try to muddy the issue which makes you look really dishonest by forcing people to accept a bunch of precepts they may not agree with to even engage with you so how about we rewind it a little bit to figure out what those precepts are and they can actually be accepted or rejected on that level

- what is your standard for deeming something 'horrific'? is there some platonic ideal where you would be comfortable with animal husbandry?
- if not, how do you square this belief with your own genetic history as a predatory ape? would you be more comfortable with wild/hunted animals as a protein source? or are you of the opinion that meat-eating is no longer required for modern humanity?
- if there is, is this standard absolutely important or must it be stacked and balanced against other relative priorities? if the latter, which priorities do you see interacting with these and how do you stack them up?
- do you judge animal outcomes on a collectivist standard (e.g., what matters most is the survival and health of the species) or an individualist one (e.g., the species is only relevant in the context of the average experience of the individual member of that species)
- do you judge human outcomes on the same standard? why or why not?

e: i am more than happy to answer these questions myself if you nut up a response yourself but quite frankly i don't think you'll have the balls to engage honestly about this because when you start listing them out you'll slowly realize that the alternatives you're advocating for will be worse for everyone and everything involved.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 10, 2019

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I think you'll find it much in the same way that I choose not to have children, to spare them from suffering like these animals do, by possibly ever exposing them to these brutal morally absolute and terrible posts.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Total extinction is the only moral choice hth

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Woden posted:

The slaughterhouse near me has calming music and poo poo to try and keep the cows super chill before their demise.

They taste really good too so it probably works.

I vaguely recall reading like stress hormones make the meat taste less good, so it's best the cows be calm and relaxed or even asleep and the kill comes as a surprise? But maybe that's like an urban legend.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Some dairy farms are closing in my area because of the popularity of almond/soy milk and lower dairy consumption. The farmers were on the TV news literally crying about it.

Cry me a river.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ema Nymton posted:

Some dairy farms are closing in my area because of the popularity of almond/soy milk and lower dairy consumption. The farmers were on the TV news literally crying about it.

Cry me a river.

Let's assume these farmers, unlike the farmers in the OP, are ethical in their treatment of their dairy herd.

What do you think is going to happen to all the cows they own and the families the farms support?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Big Beef City posted:

Let's assume these farmers, unlike the farmers in the OP, are ethical in their treatment of their dairy herd.

What do you think is going to happen to all the cows they own and the families the farms support?

The cows, newly empowered with class consciousness, will engage in fierce struggle to control the means of production (themselves) and eventually create a utopia of grazing on the newly freed land. These new free cows on the land will be unrestrained by the petty politics and power struggles we are faced with, and will lead simple, contemplative lives in a sort of reverse Animal Farm.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

pseudanonymous posted:

I vaguely recall reading like stress hormones make the meat taste less good, so it's best the cows be calm and relaxed or even asleep and the kill comes as a surprise? But maybe that's like an urban legend.
It's true, look up "dark cutter."

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

pseudanonymous posted:

The cows, newly empowered with class consciousness, will engage in fierce struggle to control the means of production (themselves) and eventually create a utopia of grazing on the newly freed land. These new free cows on the land will be unrestrained by the petty politics and power struggles we are faced with, and will lead simple, contemplative lives in a sort of reverse Animal Farm.

I welcome my new bovine comrades

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
That video sure was loving awful. I regret eating meat but don't really know how to cook and have enough stress that making a dietary dive into plant-only makes me feel overwhelmed.

Here's a machine for hugging cows:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hug_machine

Cheer up, pals.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

dairy cows in particular are treated quite a bit better than meat cows because while stress hormones fouling meat is probably an urban legend, stressed out cows producing less milk is scientific fact.

source: owned dairy cattle for 5 years, treating those girls like queens was just good business.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Coolguye posted:

dairy cows in particular are treated quite a bit better than meat cows because while stress hormones fouling meat is probably an urban legend, stressed out cows producing less milk is scientific fact.

source: owned dairy cattle for 5 years, treating those girls like queens was just good business.

I don't know for SURE if mammals are the same, but enough anecdotal information tells me it's probable. And I know that when dealing with fish not stressing them prior to death is very important for their flavor, especially in extremely delicate flavored fish and things to be used in sushi and the like. It's not an urban legend, there, so I have sincere doubts that it is elsewhere.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
surely if anything it would be a rural legend

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

LordArgh posted:

surely if anything it would be a rural legend

gently caress

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

TheMaskedUgly posted:

*stunned calf, hanging from hooks through it's ankles, vomiting blood, exclusively because people find it's corpse pleasurable to consume, but also insist that the entire existence of the resource be cost-effective*

At least they didn't kick me on the way in!

Um..
Hm.
I loled, but felt bad too?
What a quandary.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so one farm with 5 whole employees abusing animals gets jewel/osco to drop their products, huh? so, what about smithfield, the undisputed king of horrific industrialized animal abuse?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Spazzle posted:

What about the American execution method of decades of wage slavery followed by a retirement where you rapidly spiral into medical debt where you finally off yourself with an opioid overdose?

Oooo look at mr moneybags here with his opioids

Gokuweed420
Feb 1, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
i dont give a poo poo about animals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Do it ironically posted:

go vegan friends

Counterpoint, meat and dairy taste good.