Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

angerbeet posted:

Obey the Rules of the Flying Eagle Stronghold and Follow the Lady to the Guestroom

Green Cloud Castle was just insane in general

Hoo boy, true that.

Anyone still on the Chinese servers, or did I miss that boat by a couple months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skion
Mar 24, 2013

Skylight posted:

Hoo boy, true that.

Anyone still on the Chinese servers, or did I miss that boat by a couple months?

New server launches on the 14th, you can create a character early on the 12th. We got a fairly large group of people this time so should be some longevity if we are lucky.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

Skion posted:

New server launches on the 14th, you can create a character early on the 12th. We got a fairly large group of people this time so should be some longevity if we are lucky.

Nice, nice. Discord still up?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Skion posted:

How many? Cause last time we had like 6 people total.

Skion
Mar 24, 2013

Skylight posted:

Nice, nice. Discord still up?

The old discord got deleted, the new one is a general 9yin community rather then just goons. There's some guide channels to help you get started as well.

https://discord.gg/EJ3VXzG

SweetBro posted:

How many? Cause last time we had like 6 people total.

About 100 people in the server, here's hoping they actually play.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
God help me I'm tempted

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
So this new server, is it buy in?
Cause ill farm up a couple thousand steam buns (in between sellling koreans to furries in a cave) like the old days, but im not giving them a single buck to do so.

Just checked the discord. Requires using a vpn and buying a china account. Yikes.

Double Monocle fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 10, 2019

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

VPN isn't required. Just suggested due to ping issues without it.

Buying China account is, but honestly, it's no different than buying a game.

Also discord group seems reasonable people, but queue times for server are kill. Like if you're going to be playing during outside of china sleep hours, queue up a few hours before you intend to play.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 15, 2019

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

angerbeet posted:

Obey the Rules of the Flying Eagle Stronghold and Follow the Lady to the Guestroom

Green Cloud Castle was just insane in general

Almost as crazy as yanman pass.

“Oh boss fight coming up who is gonna float 21 feet in the air constantly for an hour by juggling skills while we try to not reset one of these 3 bosses?”

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

randombattle posted:

Almost as crazy as yanman pass.

“Oh boss fight coming up who is gonna float 21 feet in the air constantly for an hour by juggling skills while we try to not reset one of these 3 bosses?”

I sometimes wonder what the designer's intended strategy for that place was. Weirdest MMO dungeons I've ever played, even accounting for the cultural gap.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

The fact that after all that we could just cheese the last boss by hitting him through a wall was just the insane cherry on top of a milkshake of madness.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

randombattle posted:

The fact that after all that we could just cheese the last boss by hitting him through a wall was just the insane cherry on top of a milkshake of madness.

Thank god for JizzWhiz420's ingenuity in solving that Gordian Knot.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Thank you for reminding me about jizzwhiz420

Zipline
May 9, 2013

Third World Reagan posted:

Thank you for reminding me about jizzwhiz420

Tell me. Tell me the tale of Jizzwhiz420.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Blatant advertisements aside, this game looks hella dope. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh_cb4SqXco

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah saw that yesterday, it looked pretty good

drat I just want an updated chinagame that doesn't sell you a bunch of power. Just outfits and convenience

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Zipline posted:

Tell me. Tell me the tale of Jizzwhiz420.

There are numerous and many, as are his names.

Some know him as Durrhurrdurr https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yWwlill8dc

He's also the reason starfleet online had to enforce market regulations after he destroyed their economy.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

JizzWhiz420 was a lot of fun to play with as he was a tremendous rear end in a top hat to most people, he wasn't our best scammer, but he was prolific. He did occasionally help out at our fight clubs where we'd train new players(mostly from outside the guild) on how to fight against and using various styles. When he'd show up people would complain and question why they had to work with someone who constantly murdered them for sport.

"Can you think of a better teacher in the art of fighting than an utter bastard? How often have you guys attempted to kill him and failed?"

They didn't like it at first, but they learned and they loved his lessons on how to mess with people who were way stronger than them and get away with it.

The lessons were mostly fighting but learning how to troll higher level players with CC near cliffs was an important part of it.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Yeah, jizzwhiz was an enormously obnoxious rear end in a top hat, but he was ours and we gleefully pointed him at the Vietnamese and let him do his thing. I honestly liked the guy, when he wasn’t playing his personality up he was fun to play Chinagame with.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Rynoto posted:

Chinagame will always have a special place just because of the purestrain insanity that regularly occurred and hell it even survived decently well through the second internals before pay-to-win poo poo started to dig in. The problem with trying to explain wushu to someone is that it will just make them think you're insane.

Like the fact that for a time a bunch of people were fighting over spots to sit in trees for weeks on end. Massive brawls in the middle of cities because of puke. Forcing a leader of one of the schools to be demoted by suplexing him off the cliff (repeatedly) so he couldn't sign up for the fights. Breaking goons out of jail before they could be executed. Goons dying be the hundreds in early fights against the viet guild and turning them into pyrrhic victories. Or just the mundane hilarity of finding a rival guild member next to a waterfall or whatever and slingshotting them off. And even the pvevp part was integrated surprisingly well with the dungeon invasions. And that's all before you get into the insane chaos that was scroll stealing times which is its whole other thing.

And then at the end of the day if you were a member of a school that cared about pesky little things like rules you'd be stuck doing lines as punishment while sitting next to said rival members and wondering why you were still playing this bizarre game. That or stuck in jail while playing board games for quite significant amounts of time usually, again, with the people you were just fighting.

I still grin every time I remember that time I and a few goons rolled beggars and crashed the Chengdu (Was that the main city's name? I forget.) bank to vomit booze on them. Then when they were soaked in puke-booze and drunk as hell we used another ability to set them all on fire since being soaked in booze means you're flammable.

Cue fire, confusion, panic, and then batshit rage from the players (who were honestly not the most laid back people ever). Which lead to a bunch of people attacking each other since their ability to see was shagged to hell and back as they tried to figure out the culprits. Which in turn lead to the fight spilling out of the bank and onto the street and escalating into what was probably the first ever case of a kung fu riot in a MMO.

Wushu really was a one of a kind experience. What other games let you play a hobo that can grab someone in mid air and literally pile drive them off the top of a mountain? What other games encourage you to sit around a fire for a day or so drinking fatal amounts of booze to get your alcohol tolerance up all while practicing kung-fu by beating the poo poo out of each other with sticks like a bunch of hooligans? :allears:

If you're having trouble explaining Wushu to people i'd suggest pointing them to the old griefing thread. For awhile a bunch of the posts in that thread were basically just talking about all the awful poo poo this game would let you do to people. Just do a search for Wushu or if that doesn't work add my name with it since I remember posting screenshots and an explanation of the aforementioned kamikaze booze raids on the bank back around that time.

Honestly, I kind of wish the griefing thread was still a thing. It kind of helped get people into antics like that. There doesn't seem to be nearly as much of an interest in it nowadays without a centralized place for people to talk about their exploits.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 29, 2019

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Archonex posted:

I still grin every time I remember that time I and a few goons rolled beggars and crashed the Chengdu (Was that the main city's name? I forget.) bank to vomit booze on them. Then when they were soaked in puke-booze and drunk as hell we used another ability to set them all on fire since being soaked in booze means you're flammable.

Cue fire, confusion, panic, and then batshit rage from the players (who were honestly not the most laid back people ever). Which lead to a bunch of people attacking each other since their ability to see was shagged to hell and back as they tried to figure out the culprits. Which in turn lead to the fight spilling out of the bank and onto the street and escalating into what was probably the first ever case of a kung fu riot in a MMO.

Wushu really was a one of a kind experience. What other games let you play a hobo that can grab someone in mid air and literally pile drive them off the top of a mountain? What other games encourage you to sit around a fire for a day or so drinking fatal amounts of booze to get your alcohol tolerance up all while practicing kung-fu by beating the poo poo out of each other with sticks like a bunch of hooligans? :allears:

If you're having trouble explaining Wushu to people i'd suggest pointing them to the old griefing thread. For awhile a bunch of the posts in that thread were basically just talking about all the awful poo poo this game would let you do to people. Just do a search for Wushu or if that doesn't work add my name with it since I remember posting screenshots and an explanation of the aforementioned kamikaze booze raids on the bank back around that time.

Honestly, I kind of wish the griefing thread was still a thing. It kind of helped get people into antics like that. There doesn't seem to be nearly as much of an interest in it nowadays without a centralized place for people to talk about their exploits.

Pretty sure the griefing thread was where we got 90% of our guildmembers from, I know that's how I found out about Age Of Wushu.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I don't remember how I got sucked into playing a Chinese MMORPG but I blame Grithok.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

angerbeet posted:

I don't remember how I got sucked into playing a Chinese MMORPG but I blame Grithok.

Girthkok has much to answer for.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I have a lot of answers but none of you will like them.

Would you like to disband the guild.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
If you would just finally tell us what a bookcase is

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I am happy you were not in pirates of the burning seas where all the goons would find a trash item at level 1 that was marked a higher rarity than it should be then ask if anyone needed it then try to throw it in the guild bank where we had 500 more of said item.

Or the guy who asked what does more guns on a boat do.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Do the guns make the boat faster (shooting the water)?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Archonex posted:

I think we should bring it back but make sure to ban being a creepy weirdo, low effort bullshit like screaming into mics and the eternally recurring derail over what counts as griefing.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It is gone and should stay gone because you would never get rid of that low effort crap.

I can repost some stories here if you want but ehh.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Pretty sure the griefing thread was where we got 90% of our guildmembers from, I know that's how I found out about Age Of Wushu.

Yeah. People rag on the griefing thread for occasionally having periods of low effort bullshit but it was a hell of a great tool for getting the manpower for goon efforts and bringing in new people to the forum. Wushu and probably also EVE never would have had nearly as much of a goon rush without them. And more than a few games probably wouldn't have even gotten mentioned on these forums if it wasn't for it inspiring people to bring them up in a thread/start a thread about it.

The low effort bullshit doesn't really matter to me since by that same token we'd need to shutter pretty much ninety percent of the forums for not meeting a certain level of quality posting one hundred percent of the time. Hell, just look at DnD, Cspam, and especially FYAD as of late. Everyone gets stupid every now and then.

super sweet best pal posted:

I think we should bring it back but make sure to ban being a creepy weirdo, low effort bullshit like screaming into mics and the eternally recurring derail over what counts as griefing.

I agree on those points. If it comes back being a creep or just screaming into your mic (Though is that a thing any more? Ventrillo trolling is pretty much extinct as far as I know.) shouldn't be allowed.

I'd make a new griefing megathread with a bunch of the good griefing stories from the old griefing thread but I don't know if there's a moratorium by the mods when it comes to making a new thread for it or something like that. I have no idea who to ask about that too so :shrug:.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 30, 2019

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I guess you could PM the mods directly to check and if you get the wrong guy hope they point you to the right one? :v:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I mean.. just post a thread if you want one.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Third World Reagan posted:

I am happy you were not in pirates of the burning seas where all the goons would find a trash item at level 1 that was marked a higher rarity than it should be then ask if anyone needed it then try to throw it in the guild bank where we had 500 more of said item.

Or the guy who asked what does more guns on a boat do.

This is literally every goon guild i've been in or led to be fair.

Not that I help the issue.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Given the current pandemic, I can't help but think about what things would be like if we were still active in Age of Wushu.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

What made this game turn to poo poo, again? Absolutely loved playing with the goons back in the day, might give it a reinstall

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

StabMasterArson posted:

What made this game turn to poo poo, again? Absolutely loved playing with the goons back in the day, might give it a reinstall

They just kind of kept on piling more and more hard to get skills on that were really strong. A lot were only available by cash shop or random encounter. It made it tedious to try and remain competitive. Also the pve was just god awful, with the only cool feature being that you could enter an instance as an assassin to try and stop people doing a boss fight.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
In addition to the increasingly blatant pay2win stuff, there was also a massive amount of account hacking and kidnapping bots monopolizing one of the few ways to get the tradeable currency in the game.

It's a shame. If there were private servers run by people more competent than Snail, I would still be playing.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Also being able to pay money to get accounts unbanned, like the worst practices of some old Ragnarok private server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Not to mention all the game mechanics that just flat out didn't work/were unattainable. I spent hours trying to cheese REs in Evil Men's Valley, with all of the friendships and gossip and spamming market behavior.