Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Thundarr posted:

OH! I think I see now. I was confused since those were different mats than was listed on the Create tab, but I actually had to scroll down on the Create tab to see the option to use those mats to make the ability. It wasn't letting me scroll down on that tab at first since I had to double click the slot, otherwise as soon as I stopped mousing over it the ability to scroll was lost. Thanks, I think I can actually get a thing slotted now!

No worries, it's incredibly unintuitive since it's kludged into the existing UI and I had troubles with it first. And yeah, good catch with having to click the slot, and only then having the ability to scroll down. Glad to hear you solved it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Got my farming brute up to level 39 today and it's true that even without inf turned on he makes a lot of inf on salvage and selling recipes and enhancements. For now I also find the farming to be oddly soothing, but I'm sure I'll get sick of it soon.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Turtle Sandbox posted:

How important is having "good" powersets for the endgame, have a few chars id like to take to 50 and do some endgame stuff but im always worried im shooting myself in the foot and cant find good info on game balance.

I have an ice/thorns defender and am enjoying it but dont want to block myself from high end content by picking a set the community views as weak and would prefer not to take to group content.

There’s only, like, three power sets that people tend to view as being kinda bad and in need of tuning. Even then, I think the only sets that risk being kicked from groups are knockback-heavy sets. Not sure anyone ever says no to a defender in the group.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

HPanda posted:

There’s only, like, three power sets that people tend to view as being kinda bad and in need of tuning. Even then, I think the only sets that risk being kicked from groups are knockback-heavy sets. Not sure anyone ever says no to a defender in the group.

Only if it's somehow a group of 6 defenders and you'd be the 7th.

If there's already 7, you obviously get accepted for a gimmick group.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Turtle Sandbox posted:

How important is having "good" powersets for the endgame, have a few chars id like to take to 50 and do some endgame stuff but im always worried im shooting myself in the foot and cant find good info on game balance.

I have an ice/thorns defender and am enjoying it but dont want to block myself from high end content by picking a set the community views as weak and would prefer not to take to group content.

Free yourself from the WoW mindset(and that's coming from someone that likes WoW). No one is going to go all elitist on you over your powersets in an Incarnate Trial. Nobody cares what secondary a Defender has(they may actually be the AT with the least relevant secondary). The biggest concerns are knockback and support toons that refuse to buff.

I mentioned it before in this thread, but I find it hilarious when people advertise their powersets in LFG. We're just looking for a warm body to fill a slot. "I'm looking for a team. My qualifications are that I have hands and I'm not legally blind".

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 10, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Cold kicks rear end for Defenders so you're in good shape. There really isn't a bad Defender set, just some that are harder to play well (like Storm). Ice is extremely good.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Neurion posted:

Now I'm tempted to make Lunar.

Through fire, justice is served!

What server do you play on?

I'm usually on redside on Indomitable. I'll probably finish the COV content before hitting up any of the 10 alts I've made so far

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes inspiration strikes, although I could do better at a back story.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Brave New World posted:

I mentioned it before in this thread, but I find it hilarious when people advertise their powersets in LFG. We're just looking for a warm body to fill a slot. "I'm looking for a team. My qualifications are that I have hands and I'm not legally blind".

While this is usually accurate, I still always LFG mentioning I'm a storm def just to avoid the rare person who wastes my travel time by complaining and booting me as soon as they realize I'm not "a healer." I've still had someone tell me to use "your PBAOE heal" despite advertising my primary. :psyduck: (Also if they hate storm defenders specifically, I don't have time to be yelled at for that either, they can just not invite me to begin with.)

The vast majority of people I've played with were fine, and I've even had a couple people tell me I changed their mind for the better about storm defenders which felt pretty cool, but I still mention. I don't think I'd bother mentioning on any other class but defenders though.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
My corruptor that is secondary Storms should go all in and six slot knockback is what I'm hearing, right?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

World Famous W posted:

My corruptor that is secondary Storms should go all in and six slot knockback is what I'm hearing, right?

Unlock your inner safety warden. Enemy can’t hurt you if they’re all on the other side of the map.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

HPanda posted:

Unlock your inner safety warden. Enemy can’t hurt you if they’re all on the other side of the map.

I GUESS I'LL JUST CLICK THIS GLOWY THEN. WEIRD, THERE'S USUALLY MOBS ON THIS MAP

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

World Famous W posted:

In case anyone doesn't know, you shouldn't slot a given stat more than three times. Slot some end reduction in there, too.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I actually didn't know that so my joke taught me something!

Is it just a general rule for effectiveness or is it only three will actually work?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Enhancement Diversification. The first two enhancements of a specific kind work fully, the third is like 60%, and the fourth through sixth are all in the teens and single digits. Two is chunky, three is solid, anything more is wasteful.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

World Famous W posted:

Is it just a general rule for effectiveness or is it only three will actually work?

This link explains it in more detail but essentially there's a diminishing return, and after a certain point the values fall off a cliff when stacking multiple of the same type of enhancement, and the rule of thumb is that 3 of a single type is as much as you can put in before it gets pointless

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

:perfect:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

World Famous W posted:

There's diminishing returns on enhancing power attributes. Here's the page on it. 2 50s will get you pretty much there, the third will have a small effect, and the rest are negligible.

It's also why you need to be careful with spending too much on enhancement boosters. Like me. Burning probably an alt's worth of build money to get Total Focus an extra 10 points of damage.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
There are HARSH diminishing effectiveness after three. People used to go all in on one or two things. So they introduced something to deal with it.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Enhancement_Diversification

The numbers mostly come up with Single Origin, because of how powerful they are.

I'm not entirely sure how it came up given you have 6 slots maximum for a power and you want damage/healing, accuracy if it requires it, -costs and recharge reduction. Something's got to either be weakened or dropped.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 10, 2019

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I remember I was playing live when they introduced ED so it wasn't just "5 dam/1 acc for everything forever" and oh man I dimly remember a deep, juicy vein of salt. Such as we may not see again until someone else makes a change in a video game!

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

oh, you remember correctly https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/city-of-heroes-enhancement-diversification/21689

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Nessus posted:

I remember I was playing live when they introduced ED so it wasn't just "5 dam/1 acc for everything forever" and oh man I dimly remember a deep, juicy vein of salt. Such as we may not see again until someone else makes a change in a video game!

Not that they weren't nerds freaking out over positive changes, but it is important to remember that there was a year and a half between Enhancement Diversification and Inventions. You had some neat options with Hamidon stuff but there weren't set bonuses yet.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Bloodly posted:

There are HARSH diminishing effectiveness after three. People used to go all in on one or two things. So they introduced something to deal with it.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Enhancement_Diversification

The numbers mostly come up with Single Origin, because of how powerful they are.

I'm not entirely sure how it came up given you have 6 slots maximum for a power and you want damage/healing, accuracy if it requires it, -costs and recharge reduction. Something's got to either be weakened or dropped.

Invulnerability tanks used to six slot damage reduction. It was pretty trivial to hit 90% resist for everything except psychic, if you didn't mind not attacking much. Also you had six slotted +endurance stamina, which helped. Oh, and basically every defender had Accelerate Metabolism six slotted for recharge, which meant it was permanently up. So everyone had lots of endurance and recharge so they could slot more damage and run more toggles.

Kheldians were even more invincible than that, if you can believe it, but I didn't have a level 50 character before the hammer came down so I couldn't tell you how it worked.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Nessus posted:

The funny part was, back then, I had already 3 slot acc/dam because there wasn't a wiki I could look up. Just figured well I really really hate missing and this is working out even against those circle of thorns bosses with super reflexes. The change had only a minor effect on me and I merrily continued amongst the incessant whining.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

help i'm going insane

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

World Famous W posted:

I know I keep asking base building questions but I can't find an easy searchable answer to this: is there a way to save a bases blueprint along the same line of saving costume or power appearance? I would like to be able to back them up for various reasons

None that I know of.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT

juggalo baby coffin posted:

help i'm going insane

A recreation of a DCUO character, but he fits in well enough here.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Neurion posted:

Shake, shake!

:golfclap: :golfclap:

Edit: Actually, question: I'm setting up my very first SG base, to consolidate salvage and inf on one of my alts to be my designated 'crafter.' Is there no way to transfer Recipes, or am I just missing something incredibly obvious?

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 10, 2019

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Ghost of Starman posted:

Edit: Actually, question: I'm setting up my very first SG base, to consolidate salvage and inf on one of my alts to be my designated 'crafter.' Is there no way to transfer Recipes, or am I just missing something incredibly obvious?

Other than mailing them one by one to your global handle? No.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Ghost of Starman posted:

Invite all your alts into the super group, dump everything into one set of bins, and take em out with your crafter. store crafted things in bins, take out with alts. use /altinvite to send invites to your alts.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Are there any good tutorials on SG base building? Because so far the couple that I've found have been pretty lackluster.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I run 2 acc on like every power I use that can miss. Is that overkill?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Are there any good tutorials on SG base building? Because so far the couple that I've found have been pretty lackluster.
I couldn't find one. There was a single post on another forum that listed a few cool hints and a way to set up your bases BG music. I'll try to find it again.

Mostly it is slam head into walls for an hour trying to do something before just asking here.

Edit: having trouble finding now. I got bookmarked on my PC at home though. Will try to remember to post it later

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 10, 2019

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Glagha posted:

I run 2 acc on like every power I use that can miss. Is that overkill?

Not necessarily, your ToHit can be Debuffed after all. But if you can slot the Kismet unique or run Tactics it's less necessary.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Get a good idea of how you want things laid out early, because even though there's an option to move rooms around I've never gotten it to work and if you make a mistake early on you either have to work around it or rebuild everything. I strongly recommend just placing a bunch of rooms to start with so you get a good idea of how exactly it works in regards to how much space you need between them, and how doors get placed. It's actually not a bad idea to place much bigger rooms than you think you need, then just raise the floor/lower ceiling to close off the squares you don't want because if you place a bunch of small rooms instead those all need to be connected by separate "doorway" rooms.

Important hotkeys to make things actually look good:

F3 turns off room clipping, so you can embed objects inside other objects or clip them through walls. You will absolutely want to do this.
F1 adjusts the granularity of how much objects will snap to the grid, even letting you turn it off completely. For putting things on top of other things or getting an objects position just right.
F2 is angle snap. Haven't gotten much use out of it yet.

Shift+Left click lets you drag an object on only the Z axis
Ctrl+Left Click moves an object along the X and Y
Alt+Left Click, Ctrl+Alt+Left Click and Shift+Alt+Left Click all let you rotate objects in various ways and angles

Go here https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,1345.0.html for a thread with some other stuff like setting music, and there might be other useful info in it if you poke around a bit.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Freakazoid_ posted:

The funny part was, back then, I had already 3 slot acc/dam because there wasn't a wiki I could look up. Just figured well I really really hate missing and this is working out even against those circle of thorns bosses with super reflexes. The change had only a minor effect on me and I merrily continued amongst the incessant whining.

The funniest part was, Positron dropped word of ED on the closed CoV beta boards at closing time on a Friday night, and threatened to ban anyone who spilled the beans to the rest of the player base. I had never seen a thread on those boards inflate so quickly.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Alright I need help. I really want to level a Brute (or Scrapper) next and I'm torn between Fire/Shield and Titan Weapons/Electric. I've played them both to 10 and I've really enjoyed them both so far and I like the concepts. After leveling a controller that I love grouping with I'd like a strong solo character for when I can't find groups for stuff I want to do.

So with that in mind, how are they both for steamrolling large groups (+2 to +4/8)? Shield charge and fire sword circle sounds fun, but TW looks to poo poo strong AoE with a bunch of attacks (albeit in cones it seems). It'd be nice to do farms on occasion too, even if it's not peak efficiency like spines/fire. Also, which would be better for soloing things like AVs? Fire seems to have solid single target with combined elements (fire/smash) while TW is all S/L. But I know TW is a real bruiser and puny resists may not diminish its raw gently caress-off damage.

I'm also thinking of rerolling my Fire/Shield from Brute to scrapper (if I choose that one). It seems like it's more about the alpha strike with Fire so fury would have less value, especially with AoE. I'm not going to be hitting any resist caps on shield either.

Help me, I'm paralyzed by choice

Edit: Or if anyone just wants to give their impressions of these sets at max level I'd appreciate it!

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 10, 2019

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I havent really watch it but Leandro did this video.
Skip about 4:40 in or so.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/427246330

I'm watching now to see what its like.

e:poo poo its over 2 hours long. I cant handle his voice for that long.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
So I've seen people talk about how dual blades is good if you ignore the combo system.

What about Street Justice? Is the combo system worth my time?

I never really played with dual blades back in the day and so I have no experience with the more gimmicky attack power sets with combos or spreadable secondary effects like rad melee and beam rifle.