Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The most ridiculous thing in Striking Vipers was the date in the beginning being 28 and not knowing who Dennis Rodman is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Gaunab posted:

The most ridiculous thing in Striking Vipers was the date in the beginning being 28 and not knowing who Dennis Rodman is.
Dennis Rodman retired when she was was 15 and left his iconic hair on the court.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Gaunab posted:

The 10 years later part happened in the future though right? So she would have been born the same year he retired. He hasn't been in the news since then outside of his North Korea visits.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
On a similar note the biggest wtf moment of the latest set was Andrew Scott's character being 33 :raise:

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
This series was not good.

We were given more "AI's are people too" and "Twitter is actually bad". Striking Vipers was good though.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Striking Vipers felt the most like a typical Black Mirror episode, but it's also probably the one I'd be most tempted to skip segments in if I rewatched it any time soon (edit: out of boredom).

I liked the description of Ashley/etc. as a Black Mirror Disney movie. It was fine, but the plot felt pretty 'safe'.

Smithereens was definitely my favourite, and I'm only bothering to post since that seems unusual in this thread. Sure, it's almost literally a take on "what if phones but too much" stretched out for an episode but I liked the characters, the acting, how things slowly unravelled, the relatively small scale of it, ... and I like that it's a fairly specific "gently caress you" to @jack (and to a lesser extent Zuckerberg), who really did take a ten-day silent retreat (in Myanmar, no less), and based on what he seems to think Twitter's biggest problems are, would probably handle the same situation a lot worse. (Spoilers probably not necessary but better safe than sorry)

If anything particularly bothered me about this bunch, it would be the easter eggs. Stop using the same songs, think up original stuff to reference in news tickers and phone apps, that sort of thing.

If it makes any difference for context, I think the worst Black Mirror episode is Hang the DJ then probably Playtest, and 15MM is probably the best (if I could ever bear to rewatch it in full).

uvar fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jun 9, 2019

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Gaunab posted:

It doesn't take place in the present year. VR is nowhere near that advanced. Despite the console looking like a PS4 it was not a PS4.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I just assume all episodes take place in the "present" but with a futuristic device unless they show more advanced tech than the central piece. Also I'm younger than her and know who Rodman is. It seemed like a stupid way to get across that she's younger than him.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought the song sounded like "Head Like A Hole" and then the ending happened and I was vindicated.

I liked this season but I'm easily pleased, admittedly.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I recognized the song in Ashley Too immediately because I'm familiar with Head Like A Hole over a bouncy pop instrumental thanks to one of the best mashups ever:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=5Lm1FL7gWl4

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I didn’t realise these three episodes were the entire series. They’re... not good.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
One thing in Smithereens I didn't get - tech dude talks about activating "God Mode", but...doesn't use it to do anything? Or did he just use it to find the phone number?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

asecondduck posted:

I recognized the song in Ashley Too immediately because I'm familiar with Head Like A Hole over a bouncy pop instrumental thanks to one of the best mashups ever:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=5Lm1FL7gWl4

Having recognised neither Head Like a Hole or Miley Cyrus the credits and ending subtitles were something of a trip. It's more of a personalised experience than Bandersnatch was!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Also a funny thing about watching Striking Vipers was my wife's confusion about why they kept picking the same characters, especially in the early parts of the episode. Gosh honey, haven't you heard of having a main :v:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://twitter.com/MileyCyrus/status/1137431294558838784
Miley's been promoting the episode hard on twitter, making me wonder about the Miley fans who decide to check out the rest of the show expecting more of the same.

ymgve posted:

One thing in Smithereens I didn't get - tech dude talks about activating "God Mode", but...doesn't use it to do anything? Or did he just use it to find the phone number?
He used it to find the phone number. It may have been a reference to Uber's God View.

quidditch it and quit it posted:

I didn’t realise these three episodes were the entire series. They’re... not good.
Bandersnatch was originally part of season 5 but they decided to break it out as it's own thing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gaunab posted:

Finished Striking Vipers. I didn't really like it. Interesting idea about sexuality and stuff but it did that thing in movies and TV shows where it implies if men have close friendships then they're really just gay for each other. Also apparently hall passes save marriges? Not liking it makes me feel like a close-minded bigot though. On to the next episode.

No, it's specifically not doing that.

It's asking "if sex/gender was removed, would you be attracted to this person" which is different than being gay.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Oh, but actually they are... good.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Darko posted:

It's asking "if sex/gender was removed, would you be attracted to this person" which is different than being gay.

Yeah that was the whole point of the kiss scene. It seemed pretty genuine to me that both of them felt nothing and they made it very clear that they felt absolutely everything as the characters, including the womanly parts.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Gaunab posted:

I just assume all episodes take place in the "present" but with a futuristic device unless they show more advanced tech than the central piece. Also I'm younger than her and know who Rodman is. It seemed like a stupid way to get across that she's younger than him.

"Present" as in not so distant future. They were playing Striking Vipers which looked like an Xbox 360 and ten years past. I assume this takes place five years in the future. It would be sort of like how most 28 year olds today don't know who Flava Flav or Jerry Rice is.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 9, 2019

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Striking Vipers was the only good episode. It had a concept that sticks with you and makes you digest the philosophy of it, and that's a Black Mirror staple. Though it should have ended with him turning on the game for the first time in seven months and having to sort through a million system updates.

I thought Smithereens was going to be a deeper look at the consequences of fake news spreading and the current hellscape of Twitter/Jack Dorsey and it just... was not. It was fine.

Rachel, Jack, and Ashley Too was real dumb but Miley Cyrus saved it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
It didn't click with me and I didn't like it but like I said it had interesting ideas. The scenes in the credits were weak though.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Darko posted:

One of my big issues was that I felt the show poorly set up the idea that the friend was more "person-attractive" than his wife. I get that not everyone gets to marry their best friend but I didn't really get that Falcon pined for his old roommate given that he barely saw him any more.

My wife and I thought the ending was a bit out there, too. No matter how realistic the VR sex is we didn't really think it would balance with open-marriage night, and if the VR sex is really an offshoot of emotional cheating then that's a much bigger problem that one night/year isn't going to fix. It drifts into the Tactical Realism zone because we both thought "why not try loving your wife in the video game, taking turns being the polar bear"

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Zachack posted:

One of my big issues was that I felt the show poorly set up the idea that the friend was more "person-attractive" than his wife. I get that not everyone gets to marry their best friend but I didn't really get that Falcon pined for his old roommate given that he barely saw him any more.

My wife and I thought the ending was a bit out there, too. No matter how realistic the VR sex is we didn't really think it would balance with open-marriage night, and if the VR sex is really an offshoot of emotional cheating then that's a much bigger problem that one night/year isn't going to fix. It drifts into the Tactical Realism zone because we both thought "why not try loving your wife in the video game, taking turns being the polar bear"

I had some issues with it as well, although I did think it was good. Like you say, it's clearly mostly about an emotional connection, which makes the whole "NSA sex on your birthday" deal way sadder and more dysfunctional.

Also, yeah, I think they needed to show him and Karl bonding maybe in just one more scene. They clearly have chemistry at the start of the episode, and at his birthday, but after that Karl occasionally comes off as a giant rear end in a top hat (the scene where he's ranting about how he hosed the polar bear is far from charming, even though it's funny).

Also, the fact that they're so repressed and ruined by machismo that they actually fist fought each other immediately after kissing is terribly sad and the show kind of skates over it. I get that it's meant to be a sad mirror of their first connection inside the game, like it's happening in reverse, but if you read it as plain text it's pretty concerning that they were both so wound up that they started hitting each other in real life. For most people that would be the end of a friendship and/or relationship. Feel like the episode as written doesn't really treat it as all that cataclysmic, since they reconcile without the fallout from that being mentioned.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the whole thing wasn't a trap laid by Karl.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I dunno about "trap". I don't think Karl was malicious or malevolent, and like, Danny went for it. They have some type of feelings for each other that just happened to come out, overwhelmingly, when Danny was looking at Karl in a woman's body. Karl seemed just as baffled and upset by this as Danny at first, he just got to grips with it more quickly.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
My feeling about Striking Vipers I've read the relationships.txt thread enough to laugh at the whole "open the marriage to fix it" concept as a whole. Plus if you could gently caress the game characters then it would cease to be a fighting game pretty fast

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica
Just watched Smithereens. I liked it! I agree it’s commentary didn’t go far enough. The performances were good and it’s suspenseful throughout.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I don't think the point of SV was to show how to "fix" a marriage specifically. To me it's more a discussion about how commitment and personal desires often clash, and while the ending was leaning on one side of the argument, it's not completely optimistic about the compromise either, so I doubt it's saying that this is what all marriages should do.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

uvar posted:

Smithereens was definitely my favourite, and I'm only bothering to post since that seems unusual in this thread. Sure, it's almost literally a take on "what if phones but too much" stretched out for an episode but I liked the characters, the acting, how things slowly unravelled, the relatively small scale of it, ... and I like that it's a fairly specific "gently caress you" to @jack (and to a lesser extent Zuckerberg), who really did take a ten-day silent retreat (in Myanmar, no less), and based on what he seems to think Twitter's biggest problems are, would probably handle the same situation a lot worse. (Spoilers probably not necessary but better safe than sorry)

The whole thing reminded me of a commercial from my childhood where some dude hates the song on the radio so he looks down to change the station and gets in a wreck and the text comes up "He didn't like the song on the radio, so he killed a family of four"

e: just started the third one and lol Miley ripping off Head Like a Hole

blizzardvizard posted:

I don't think the point of SV was to show how to "fix" a marriage specifically. To me it's more a discussion about how commitment and personal desires often clash, and while the ending was leaning on one side of the argument, it's not completely optimistic about the compromise either, so I doubt it's saying that this is what all marriages should do.

The whole idea of Theo being ok with it as long as she gets her hall pass was unrealistic to me, but hell I've been through similar (though obviously in a more conventional way) so I guess I have my bias and not everyone is the same

Intruder fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 10, 2019

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

S: 15 Million Merits, White Christmas, San Junipero
A: The Entire History of You, White Bear, Shut Up and Dance
B: The National Anthem, Playtest, USS Callister, Nosedive, Bandersnatch, Striking Vipers
C: Be Right Back, The Waldo Moment, Hang the DJ, Smithereens, Ashley Too
D: Arkangel, Crocodile, Black Museum
E: Men Against Fire, Metalhead
F: Hated in the Nation

Thanks for watching, like and subscribe

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I feel so alone in liking Hated in the Nation

Right with you on White Christmas though

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I like Hated in the Nation too and I liked but didn't love San Junipero.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I can more or less get behind that list but Playtest would be way way lower. (And Bandersnatch, but that's a can of worms)

I also like Hated in the Nation but I'm also a sucker for detective/CSI stories

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

blizzardvizard posted:

I can more or less get behind that list but Playtest would be way way lower.

Yeah I know it's a fairly dumb one, but I just really enjoy it for some reason. It's very effective as horror for me, and I like that they finally touched on the idea of early neural-link/full-dive tech going wrong and turning people into vegetables.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

I feel so alone in liking Hated in the Nation

Right with you on White Christmas though

I think Hated in the Nation had a good idea that was presented extremely poorly. Like the central topic is one that would be a good subject for Black Mirror - internet hate mobs and the way that groupthink mentality takes over once someone is seen as a "fair" target (regardless of how bad the thing they did actually was, or hell, if they even did the thing). It's just that like, robot bees and the weird police procedural angle was not the best way to explore that topic.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The Founder in smithereens Was way too nice and human and should have been a complete gently caress like dorsey or zucc, the only realistic parts were the silence retreat and the fact he started telling the traumatized guy with the gun his own woes and why he wants to quit but otherwise I enjoyed the show that tells me to use less Facebook

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think Hated in the Nation had a good idea that was presented extremely poorly. Like the central topic is one that would be a good subject for Black Mirror - internet hate mobs and the way that groupthink mentality takes over once someone is seen as a "fair" target (regardless of how bad the thing they did actually was, or hell, if they even did the thing). It's just that like, robot bees and the weird police procedural angle was not the best way to explore that topic.

Plus that was already done better in Shut Up and Dance

e: White Bear too kinda

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 10, 2019

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Intruder posted:

e: just started the third one and lol Miley ripping off Head Like a Hole

oh ok

also lol this sucks

I'm going to go ahead and call Ashley Too the worst episode

Intruder fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 10, 2019

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Gaunab posted:

Finished Striking Vipers. I didn't really like it. Interesting idea about sexuality and stuff but it did that thing in movies and TV shows where it implies if men have close friendships then they're really just gay for each other. Also apparently hall passes save marriges? Not liking it makes me feel like a close-minded bigot though. On to the next episode.

Bolded was the part I found the funniest about that episode. Good to know that the glorious comedy gold trainwrecks on the reddit relationships forums aren't soon to end as long as dumb nerds keep thinking that letting their partner gently caress other people is somehow super mature and "progressive" and is the solution to their relationship problems. As opposed to, you know, just going to marriage counseling.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jun 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica

El Jeffe posted:

Yeah I know it's a fairly dumb one, but I just really enjoy it for some reason. It's very effective as horror for me, and I like that they finally touched on the idea of early neural-link/full-dive tech going wrong and turning people into vegetables.

Take out the stupid twists and leave, “video game knows what scares you; what scares you is your sense of reality being destabilized.” Make everything that happens in the mansion real. End with the game letting our hero go after a couple hours, just like it’s supposed to. He gives it rave reviews, game is released to the public to horrifying results.

Every bad Black Mirror is a few tweaks from being a good Black Mirror.