Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i see white tourists like every day in shanghai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
are they 300 pound loud people who consistently insist they are Canadian in a South Carolina accent

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

The Great Autismo! posted:

are they 300 pound loud people who consistently insist they are Canadian in a South Carolina accent

sometimes. usually they're just lining up outside that one crowded xiaolongbao place anthony bourdain went to once (which is fine but not worth lining up for) or looking lost in the french concession.

i am mostly between jingan temple and french concession tho which are tourist hotspots tho.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Magna Kaser posted:

sometimes. usually they're just lining up outside that one crowded xiaolongbao place anthony bourdain went to once
FOODIES! :argh:

Worse than neo-confederate Albertans in my opinion.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
That xiaolongbao place is totally Shanghai version of Katz's. It's a mega tourist trap.

That's another reason I don't like SH, It feels like a try-hard, watered-down version of New York. BTW the one American I met in a Shanghai bar was really obnoxious. He is like the crazy dude who talk to himself in the R train.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

tino posted:

That's another reason I don't like SH, It feels like a try-hard, watered-down version of New York.

This is a very accurate description of Shanghai.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Any recommendations for a good xiaolongbao place in shanghai? I find that the Anthony Bourdain visit can be a kiss of death on places.

Tian Tian in Singapore definitely went downhill and increased its prices in a linear fashion after he visited there. However I still have a soft spot for Yak Lok in Hong Kong, so long as you get there at the right time.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I was housed in Lujiazui (yuk) so Paradise Dynasty and Din Tie Fung we're the common places I'd have Xiao long bao lunch.

Or the food court at super brand mall :(

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Any recommendations for a good xiaolongbao place in shanghai? I find that the Anthony Bourdain visit can be a kiss of death on places.

Tian Tian in Singapore definitely went downhill and increased its prices in a linear fashion after he visited there. However I still have a soft spot for Yak Lok in Hong Kong, so long as you get there at the right time.

ding tai fung while pretty OK suffers being extremely overpriced and often filled with tourists since it's a famous brand more outside of China than in. If you want to find the Taiwanese or Japanese tourists in Shanghai, it's where to go (Taiwanese people will tell you it's the best xiaolongbao ever, invariably). but in shaghai imo it's the equivalent of going to a panera bread or something for a bagel if you're in NYC. I will admit dtf has better service than most of my go-to xlb joints if you care a lot about that.

fu chun on yuyuan road, the anthony bordain place, isn't even bad or anything. it's p average and was just a sleepy local joint until he went there and it exploded on every lonely planet/explore shanghai guide. I pass it a lot since it's between my home and office and it's always a loving nightmare with like 30 confused looking 20-something backpackers holding lonely planet books and trying to fit their 2m long osprey backpacks in the crowded seating area. It and shake shack in shanghai are the two places which extra suck cuz they have nowhere near enough seating nor any defined way to reserve seating so people will awkwardly stand around in the aisle holding food waiting for you to leave. Shake Shack is probably worse in this regard tho (never go to shake shack in shanghai, habit burger or charlie's are better fast food burgs anyway)

im not some xiaolongbao connoisseur (i prefer shengjianbao) but the two I like are jiajia xiaolongbao or shanshan xiaolongbao which aren't super amazing culinary experiences or anything (service is v average in both of them) but imo they're tastier than most and unless it's during a weekend lunchtime or something, aren't super duper crowded. jiajia is pretty popular with local shanghainese and chinese tourists, but it never gets to the insane level of busy fuchun does (also it's better).

but tbh most hole in the wall small places will be p good for xiaolongbao.

But like I said I honestly like shengjianbao more and for that I would avoid xiaoyang which is going downhill IMO and go for generic smaller places as well. There are some local chains like laoshengxing I think are good for your generic shengjian/fried beef bun/baozi/shaomai needs.

e: i forgot nanxiang xiaolong mantou which is actually my go-to. its decent and they have a bunch of locations.

Bloodnose posted:

FOODIES! :argh:

Worse than neo-confederate Albertans in my opinion.

tbh the people going there aren't even foodies cuz if you did 2 seconds of research you'd find better places/warnings against it. they're just normal tourists lookin for the hot spots.

I like living in shanghai tho? No real complaints. Better than beijing for sure lol

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 10, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Magna Kaser posted:

Better than beijing for sure lol

Better than poop from a butt isn't that much praise

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Grand Fromage posted:

Better than poop from a butt isn't that much praise

Shameful when mods sign posts

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

TheReverend posted:

I was housed in Lujiazui (yuk) so Paradise Dynasty and Din Tie Fung we're the common places I'd have Xiao long bao lunch.

Or the food court at super brand mall :(

Might as well just go the other way.

Butcher's club for a burg
Nadaman for Japanese
Lady M for a crepe
Morton's for a steak

Try Mr and Mrs Bund at the Bund - Pretty good french cuisine

Recommend jiajia, but the lineup at the original one is worth the wait than the other chains. Skip Yuyuan,

I also like lai lai, but xiaolongbao's are all over the place

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Yak Lok is allright, touristy.

Fook Lam Moon on a Sunday is where you should go for roast goose :downsrim:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

caberham posted:

Might as well just go the other way.

Butcher's club for a burg
Nadaman for Japanese
Lady M for a crepe
Morton's for a steak

Try Mr and Mrs Bund at the Bund - Pretty good french cuisine

Recommend jiajia, but the lineup at the original one is worth the wait than the other chains. Skip Yuyuan,

I also like lai lai, but xiaolongbao's are all over the place

Lol at visiting China and eating a steak

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you visit China multiple times, might as well.

But IFC Shanghai is a dump

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

If you visit China multiple times, might as well

Depends from where I guess but for the average reader of this forum, just wait until you get back home

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

Lol at visiting China and eating a steak

what if they are from a country that doesn't have steak

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

fart simpson posted:

Depends from where I guess but for the average reader of this forum, just wait until you get back home

What about for a very below average poster of this forum, like yourself?!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Oh no it's the dream team tga and LL

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I sometimes eat steak its some good stuff

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I was going to say something, but decided I have no steak in this argument.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I went to the Goose Island place on Nanjing to celebrate Labor Day with my American coworkers.

Had a burg and got so loving sick for like 2 weeks, A+++ would eat again.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Smykowski posted:

Oh no it's the dream team tga and LL

the irl goon dream team we had at beertopia 2016 was pretty good, it was fart simpson, caberham, wonton, rental sting, simplefish, Imperialist Dog, and then I was the pity add-on just so our entire team wasn't too good

I think this was the day that fart simpson left for like two hours after drinking for a while and came back with a brand new iPhone, lol nerd

we also had a good 2017 chengdu goon team line up, it was magna kaser, grand fromage, let us English, a guy who a bunch of syllables in his name with almost no vowels from the UK, rental sting, fart Simpson, caberham, simplefish and then again I rounded up the poo poo end of the team

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 10, 2019

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
we all know that tianjin 2013 had the true IRL dream team line up, it was just me and TWM. wat else could you ask for. I'd sit in my office, TWM would troll bad astronaut, I'd laugh at my desk and message him and say "I'll buy you a beer for that post" and then we'd go meet and have a beer and i'd laugh a lot

good times, 5/5 would do it again if I was single and 30 years old again

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's always beer with you.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Harveygod posted:

I was going to say something, but decided I have no steak in this argument.

Wait wait hold up, who's this fuckin guy?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodnose posted:

It's always beer with you.

in China, ya

it’s too expensive here, ugh

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I had a honey cider with dinner last night and that was good. It was more expensive than a Tsingtao in China though for sure.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

we all know that tianjin 2013 had the true IRL dream team line up, it was just me and TWM. wat else could you ask for. I'd sit in my office, TWM would troll bad astronaut, I'd laugh at my desk and message him and say "I'll buy you a beer for that post" and then we'd go meet and have a beer and i'd laugh a lot

good times, 5/5 would do it again if I was single and 30 years old again

On the bright side when your wife leaves you and takes the kids to never let you see them again in Japan like many others have before you, you can do this again!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LimburgLimbo posted:

On the bright side when your wife leaves you and takes the kids to never let you see them again in Japan like many others have before you, you can do this again!

let’s cross that bridge when it happens

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Magna Kaser posted:

xiaolongbao connoisseur

xiaolongbao are alright but tangbaos are better.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

let’s cross that bridge when it happens

There’s an ancient chinese saying... a man who would desert his family to work in another country is doing them a favor by doing so

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Ragingsheep posted:

the only bao i want is 利是

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

whats even the difference

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Generally they're slightly bigger, more soup and the soup is slightly sweeter soy sauces flavoured rather than just the regular salt, ginger and pork fat flavoured one.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I don't like soup bao of any size because the bottom skin always stick to the dish.

How come nobody make bao with alcohol inside?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I hate those big soup dumplings they give you a straw for. I've never had one that wasn't terribad.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fart simpson posted:

There’s an ancient chinese saying... a man who would desert his family to work in another country is doing them a favor by doing so

Complaining about American family courts was too pedestrian for him so he's priming himself to post about the evils of Japanese family court.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

One could argue that abandoning your family for work is, in fact, just being respectful of Japanese culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

One could argue that abandoning your family for work is, in fact, just being respectful of Japanese culture.

actually I'm guilty of culturally appropriating it

smh @ me