Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m not a great painter by any means but is this just an ink that behaves thicker?

It's a bit more... slippery than ink? It tends to flow into the crevices more whereas most inks will glaze to a certain degree as well.

Imagine if you diluted a typical GW ink 1:1 or 1:2 with Lahmian medium, it behaves like that except the pigment is more intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m not a great painter by any means but is this just an ink that behaves thicker?

It's a really smart, high end and nifty glaze.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Question: has there ever been a video game that tried to be a 1:1 recreation of 40K tabletop? Only game I know of off the top of my head that I've heard is along those lines is Epic 40K: Final Liberation, but that was for Epic, not the standard game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Max Wilco posted:

Question: has there ever been a video game that tried to be a 1:1 recreation of 40K tabletop? Only game I know of off the top of my head that I've heard is along those lines is Epic 40K: Final Liberation, but that was for Epic, not the standard game.

I think the only 1:1 games have been stuff like Space Crusade and Space Hulk. That's excluding tabletop simulator.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I dunno if this is :filez: chat but where are people getting the gamemode files for 40k in Tabletop Sim? I can never find anything in the Steam Workshop and i'd be down for trying out different stuff before i commit to buying them IRL.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
So, as my previous post shows, I'm currently painting up some orks. This isn't the first time I've had a go at making a 40K army. I've previously started and abandoned Space Wolves, IG, and Skitarii. This time, I wanted to try and at least get something on the table and play the game for once.

I promised myself if I got to 1000 points by July, I'd make a nice Forge World order for my birthday. Maybe more ork stuff, maybe just stuff that looks fun to paint. When I got a surprise deployment, I downgraded that to 750, figuring my painting time would probably be limited.

Well, after pushing myself hard the last few weeks, I'm now at 884 points of stuff either done or mostly done. 568 of that was done out here. When I get home, I need to base three bikes, a shokkjump dragsta, a megatrakk scrapjet, five boyz, and my warboss, do some finishing touches on the warboss and the dragsta, and they'll be done. If I can do that and paint up a battlewagon in the remains of June, I'll have made my original goal.

If I'm at 750 points, I'm going to spend $250. If I hit 1000, I'm going to use some of that deployment money and bump it up to $500. Wish me luck!

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Max Wilco posted:

Warhammer Gladius isn't exactly this, but it's as close to this as I've ever seen.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Finished the second Greater Possessed from Shadowspear.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

JackMann posted:

So, as my previous post shows, I'm currently painting up some orks. This isn't the first time I've had a go at making a 40K army. I've previously started and abandoned Space Wolves, IG, and Skitarii. This time, I wanted to try and at least get something on the table and play the game for once.

I promised myself if I got to 1000 points by July, I'd make a nice Forge World order for my birthday. Maybe more ork stuff, maybe just stuff that looks fun to paint. When I got a surprise deployment, I downgraded that to 750, figuring my painting time would probably be limited.

Well, after pushing myself hard the last few weeks, I'm now at 884 points of stuff either done or mostly done. 568 of that was done out here. When I get home, I need to base three bikes, a shokkjump dragsta, a megatrakk scrapjet, five boyz, and my warboss, do some finishing touches on the warboss and the dragsta, and they'll be done. If I can do that and paint up a battlewagon in the remains of June, I'll have made my original goal.

If I'm at 750 points, I'm going to spend $250. If I hit 1000, I'm going to use some of that deployment money and bump it up to $500. Wish me luck!

Orks are simply the best. You just have to power through the painting when dealing with large troop numbers, but I've found that the chance to finish with grimy, orky wear and weathering (and being able to go back over in the future to and do more weathering touchups) makes them one of the more enjoyable armies to paint as well.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Yes

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/06/10/battle-sister-bulletin-9-coming-soon-to-a-warhammer-day-near-yougw-homepage-post-1/

Soon.
As soon as June 29th even. Really hoping I can pick that one up elsewhere much like Severina.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/06/10/battle-sister-bulletin-9-coming-soon-to-a-warhammer-day-near-yougw-homepage-post-1/

Soon.
As soon as June 29th even. Really hoping I can pick that one up elsewhere much like Severina.

It says on that very page that you can direct order it online.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Cooked Auto posted:

Soon.

Description says it'll be an online purchase thereafter. Canoness Veridyan is still available as an online purchase, so that may mean effectively forever.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 10, 2019

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Booley posted:

It says on that very page that you can direct order it online.

Yeah I saw that but I don't have a GW store anywhere near me for a pick up and shipping from the UK is annoyingly expensive.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah I saw that but I don't have a GW store anywhere near me for a pick up and shipping from the UK is annoyingly expensive.

If you're desparate I can buy one and ship it over for you? Airmail isn't too expensive but it does depend on the size of the box.

If it's literally a single frame then after stripping the box I could probably get it to you for £3 (ish).

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

If you're desparate I can buy one and ship it over for you? Airmail isn't too expensive but it does depend on the size of the box.

It's fine. I can probably arrange something with another friend of mine if needed. Thanks anyway though. :)

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

You can just order it to your home address? Direct-only just means that it's not available to buy off the shelf.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Cooked Auto posted:

Soon.

If it's resin, they can just toss it straight into the garbage. gently caress, the Severina model was such a massive disappointment :(

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

inscrutable horse posted:

If it's resin, they can just toss it straight into the garbage. gently caress, the Severina model was such a massive disappointment :(

Not pushing recasts, but it is hilarious that reacts of Finecast models are often better than the originals.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Replacing all finecast should have been a priority. It’s a goddamn tease to have models available but utter trash to work with.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

LingcodKilla posted:

Replacing all finecast should have been a priority. It’s a goddamn tease to have models available but utter trash to work with.

plastic molds are expensive and spending £10,000+ on niche gimmick runs isn't very cost effective

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
It’s plastic.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

It’s plastic.

Plastic is cheap.

The stainless-steel injection moulds used to cast the cheap injection-moulded plastic GW plastic minis are made of are expensive, on the order of tens of thousands of dollars each, I believe. The less durable aluminum moulds apparently used for smaller-run plastic minis like the convention and anniversary exclusives and (so it is rumoured) the chapter upgrade frames are not as expensive as stainless steel, but still not cheap.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Plavski posted:

plastic molds are expensive and spending £10,000+ on niche gimmick runs isn't very cost effective

It's not so much resin v plastic as it is finecast vs every other resin, from what this thread has taught me. Apparently finecast is just poo poo garbage and/or GW is terrible at doing resin minis.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Plavski posted:

Niche gimmick runs. I suppose eldar aspect warriors are that yes indeed.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Niche gimmick runs. I suppose eldar aspect warriors are that yes indeed.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Broken Record Talk posted:

Not pushing recasts, but it is hilarious that reacts of Finecast models are often better than the originals.

Recasters have perfected the fine art of taking someone else's work and figuring out the best way of reproducing it.

GW finecast were spincast metal models being forced into resin production. For a variety of reasons, designs for one don't necessarily translate well into the other (assuming conventionally poured resin rather than spincasted resin)

Add in the face that this appears to be the first time they'd tried it, and that their resin casting was never top tier to begin with (cf Forgeworld)

And the possibility that for whatever reason they used garbage resin.

Fine tuning resin casting really is an art and good casters with good procedures and kit are worth their weight in gold.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 10, 2019

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Stephenls posted:

Plastic is cheap.

The stainless-steel injection moulds used to cast the cheap injection-moulded plastic GW plastic minis are made of are expensive, on the order of tens of thousands of dollars each, I believe. The less durable aluminum moulds apparently used for smaller-run plastic minis like the convention and anniversary exclusives and (so it is rumoured) the chapter upgrade frames are not as expensive as stainless steel, but still not cheap.

No I was saying the new one-off SoB is plastic.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

No I was saying the new one-off SoB is plastic.

It doesn't really make sense to do a months long build up for PLASTIC SISTERS and then release a finecast one

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I'm in the process of building 10 Dark Reapers, and Finecast just makes me lose the will to continue. Holy poo poo it's terrible to work with.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Giant Isopod posted:

It doesn't really make sense to do a months long build up for PLASTIC SISTERS and then release a finecast one

I smell an ORKTOBER all over again.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Like all the swords randomly snapped off my finecast Mandrakes while they were completely stationary on the shelf. It ruled.

e. eh, not at once, but over the span of like a year

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Zuul the Cat posted:

Some cool new models with a refreshingly competitive codex? Nice.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Deified Data posted:

Like all the swords randomly snapped off my finecast Mandrakes while they were completely stationary on the shelf. It ruled.

e. eh, not at once, but over the span of like a year

Just use Namarti Thralls.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Stephenls posted:

Just use Namarti Thralls.

And when you do, sell me the fish/coral/whatever basing bits

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Namarti Thralls are amusingly photonegative Mandrakes, honestly.

Mandrakes: Long hair, eyes but no mouths.
Namarti Thralls: Bald, mouths but no eyes.

They’ve got the right kind of weapons for WYSIWYG counts-as, though!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Which contrast paints would be good for Tau for their white color scheme?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

I said come in! posted:

Which contrast paints would be good for Tau for their white color scheme?

Apothecary White for the white, Black Templar for the black parts of the bodysuits, and assuming you’re using Vior’la Sept, Blood Angels Red for the red bits. Probably Grey Seer if you want them to look more factory fresh and Wraithbone if you plan on weathering them. Probably Aethermatic Blue for the skin.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Zuul the Cat posted:

Another betrayal...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stephenls posted:

Apothecary White for the white, Black Templar for the black parts of the bodysuits, and assuming you’re using Vior’la Sept, Blood Angels Red for the red bits. Probably Grey Seer if you want them to look more factory fresh and Wraithbone if you plan on weathering them. Probably Aethermatic Blue for the skin.

Okay, I managed to order Apothecary White, and Black Templar. I was looking at a youtube video for apothecary white, and it appears to be more grey, so I was a little bit worried if I should get ahold of GWS to change my order. I also added in wraithbone to my order, and from the video I saw, it is far more white? So I am confused. Here is the video I watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhDVB1j_zVc&t=44s