Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

God blessing liberal California by eradicating all aphids from these people's gardens 🙏🙏🙏

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

please lord send the ladybugs east

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Ever had lightning strike so close that the sound was more distinctly electrical/tesla coil sounding instead of thunder?

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Once I experienced thunders now during a blizzard, which is pretty rare. The snow muffles the sound of thunder so you only hear it if it strikes really close, and the sound was very loud and oddly crackly and distorted

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

twoday posted:

Once I experienced thunders now during a blizzard, which is pretty rare. The snow muffles the sound of thunder so you only hear it if it strikes really close, and the sound was very loud and oddly crackly and distorted

Thundersnow is awesome but kinda terrifying.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thoguh posted:

Thundersnow is awesome but kinda terrifying.

also delicious

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

AFAIK there haven't been any big earthquakes around here for a couple years because the oklahoma legislature decided to pass some bare minimum regulations for wastewater disposal

oh yeah, it has been a while since I've heard a pipe rattler

first time it happened my brain went 'oh the train is going by, wait a minute, I dont live anywhere near the tracks anymore'

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Agean90 posted:

God blessing liberal California by eradicating all aphids from these people's gardens 🙏🙏🙏

Don't worry, the chain lightning storms will kill the gigantic cloud of bugs.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I'm always fascinated by insect swarming behavior, especially as part of seasonal population booms.

First year in my current location I saw an explosion of boxelder bugs and they'd just clump every where. I don't recall that happening any year after. I wonder if such thing are simply caused by random confluence of events, but after that one article about insect mass vanishing I wonder if it was desperation. A final frenzied meeting to try to ward off extinction, doomed to failure by factors beyond their comprehension but none the less pushed by instinct to scream in defiance at their own death

prolly not tho

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
no death weather today? huh

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Agean90 posted:

I'm always fascinated by insect swarming behavior, especially as part of seasonal population booms.

First year in my current location I saw an explosion of boxelder bugs and they'd just clump every where. I don't recall that happening any year after. I wonder if such thing are simply caused by random confluence of events, but after that one article about insect mass vanishing I wonder if it was desperation. A final frenzied meeting to try to ward off extinction, doomed to failure by factors beyond their comprehension but none the less pushed by instinct to scream in defiance at their own death

prolly not tho

I've been seeing a ton of redheaded ash borers after never seeing them before in my life. I think my neighbor's oak might be dying

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I enjoy our new normal rain

https://twitter.com/WarrenPHarris/status/1137790723187720195

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
haha just wait until hurricanes start forming that last multiple months

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

That poo poo came out of nowhere. Winds so strong it ripped a tree in half. Wild

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I got up cause I thought it was a nado but the pressure didn't feel right so was it hurricane season already good thing time doesn't exist

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
that's insanity

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Sounds like the wind toppled a crane into an apartment building in this totally normal storm, causing injury and death.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Has anyone seen anything about all this rainfall affecting fruit trees / bushes in the midwest? I know corn and soybean farmers are pretty hosed, but I'm wondering if its going to affect berry season and such as well . I have a few peach trees and blackberry bushes in my backyard and none of them are growing anything like the yields they had last summer.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Vernii posted:

Has anyone seen anything about all this rainfall affecting fruit trees / bushes in the midwest? I know corn and soybean farmers are pretty hosed, but I'm wondering if its going to affect berry season and such as well . I have a few peach trees and blackberry bushes in my backyard and none of them are growing anything like the yields they had last summer.

That one's because all the pollinating insects are dying out. I'm in Detroit where we haven't had particularly bad rainfall (though it has been cold pretty far into the year) and it's the same here, nothing fruiting, no flowers on almost any flowering plants.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
had 60mph winds for about half an hour today, and it was hot and sunny on both sides of the 15 minutes of rain. extremely cool and good.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Something to share, on the Sunday morning (5/27/19) prior to the Monday Dayton tornado outbreak I was at work and some storms were about to head through our area in central Ohio. The leading front of the storm had really strong gusting so I went outside to wrangle trashcans that were getting blown around. I didn't see any lightning in our area but I did get a hell of a scare in the form of seeing an arc flash between two perpendicular sides in the intersection in front of me. There were two flashes: one lasted a second and another one happened two seconds later for about the same duration. I've never or heard seen anything like it in person. Must have happened 100 feet away from me.

This video is pretty much what I saw, but between two wires in an intersection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aCbyx0A_ws

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

wow!

thanks to humanity destroying the planet, wind turbines will generate more profits than ever before!!!

*video of tower catching on fire due to lackluster maintenance that prevented system from stopping itself during another continentalcane*

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

ScrubLeague posted:

had 60mph winds for about half an hour today, and it was hot and sunny on both sides of the 15 minutes of rain. extremely cool and good.

love too have laughed at how stupid scenes from the notably bad movie "the day after tomorrow" (2004) looked while nowadays realizing that yeh its not so insane, and that well known hack fraud director rolland emmerich accidentally made a documentary about the coming future :psyduck:

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
the film geostorm, wherein an automated robotic voice reads out "5 minutes 51 seconds to self-destruct"

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Shima Honnou posted:

That one's because all the pollinating insects are dying out. I'm in Detroit where we haven't had particularly bad rainfall (though it has been cold pretty far into the year) and it's the same here, nothing fruiting, no flowers on almost any flowering plants.

My dad was telling me about some bushes he was clearing out of his backyard recently and he stumbled upon a bumble bee nest. He didn't mess with it but he had inadvertently uncovered it. I hope the poor guys are okay and relocate, he has some rose bushes that flower like mad and I like to think they're responsible. :unsmith:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

ScrubLeague posted:

the film geostorm, wherein an automated robotic voice reads out "5 minutes 51 seconds to self-destruct"

GEOOOOOO STOOOOOOOOOORM

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/k6RuZkA.mp4

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wow, that is a weird little vortex.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Climate change affects the entire world right down to individual trees!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

:birddrugs:

OrangéJéllo
Aug 31, 2001
Flowers generally dont bud due to pollinator presence, usually non-tropical fruit trees failure to flower is due to a lack of sustained cold hours or other climactic nonsense. The pollinators are dying or dead but that only means even in years you see crazy heavy flowering you'll see little to no fruit set.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

It got really hot really fast in California and wildfire season is now suddenly underway. Multiple uncontained fires already.

On the plus side, I noticed Amazon now carries a number of increasingly fashionable N99-rated masks!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The ones that secure behind the ears aren't going to make a good seal, and to make things worse they won't work for certain head sizes.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Double post, but if you do get a face mask, be sure the elastic goes all around the head and not just around the mouth and ears. You'll still get coverage if you go the ear route, but it won't be nearly as good.

Also, they're meant to last hours and not days. I still beat myself up about mistakingly telling people the latter.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/PeterGleick/status/1138608225387929600
Love to break 80+ year high temperature records by 18°

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Time for 110 degree weeks in summer thick with fire smoke! Hail Satan!!!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

All the extra rain CA got this spring? Turns out it fueled explosive plant grwoth, but all those plants are already dead now and dry as our bones will shortly be. Lol.

Vox Nihili has issued a correction as of 18:08 on Jun 12, 2019

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

explain this one atheists

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Over Easy posted:

explain this one atheists

Full citizen rights for synths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Sierra_Magazine/status/1138865307890724868

Can't wait for mega hurricanes to pick up dead beached whales and slam them into buildings like natural bunker busters